Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

TCD Accommodation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

a0ifee wrote: »
    Use your student ID no when creating your account, not your cao number

ok now I get it. I was trying to sign in to my accommodation account, without having made an account. problem solved, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 binaryjigsaw

Possible Room Mate In Trinity Hall.

Hi, I'm about to start first year in Trinity and was wondering if anyone was interested in sharing a room in Trinity Hall. At the open day the Lady said that the chances of getting in are higher if you already have a room mate chosen so I thought I'd just give it a try on boards. I'm a very tidy, easy going person and I reckon I'd be a reasonably good room mate.

I'm doing computer science and language. I like movies/music/video games and computers of course ... not that into football or ball sports or whatever :L

Message me if you're interested :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

Anyone have any idea when we find out if we get a room? I assume it'll be sometime next week? Very worried about getting accommodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 binaryjigsaw

FunTimess wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when we find out if we get a room? I assume it'll be sometime next week? Very worried about getting accommodation!

I went to the open day and the lady said next Tuesday we should find out whether we got in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lmcgtb

FunTimess wrote: »

At the open day on Saturday they said it might be next tuesday... That might not be completely accurate but it might give us an idea! :)

• Advertisement

If I don't get in, I'm absolutely fu**ed.
    Also, I know this is an accommodation thread but is anyone else here doing Theoretical Physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

Can anybody else accept their unconditional offer for their course? It's under the heading "My Applications".

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

Can anybody else accept their unconditional offer for their course? It's under the heading "My Applications".

Ah I was panicking like that for a while, it just takes a while for it to sync from the cao website, mine was only accepted today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaraMT

I was looking to apply to Trinity Hall, but the accommodation might not be within my budget. I'm just wondering if anybody could recommend any other alternatives. Thanks.

CiaraMT wrote: »
    I was looking to apply to Trinity Hall, but the accommodation might not be within my budget. I'm just wondering if anybody could recommend any other alternatives. Thanks.

Gateway Student Village has 8 rooms left. You have to pay a 200 euro deposit and if you then decide you'll go to halls, if you're accepted of course, you don't get the deposit back. Might be worth it though. They have the rates here, think it's a bit cheaper than halls
    http://www.gatewaystudentvillage.ie/standardrates.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaraMT

Just as expensive but thanks very much for your help.

CiaraMT wrote: »
    Just as expensive but thanks very much for your help.

Sorry, It's very hard to get cheaper accom near trinity, but I'm sure you'll find somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11 recoil_money

Possible Room Mate In Trinity Hall.

Hi, I'm about to start first year in Trinity and was wondering if anyone was interested in sharing a room in Trinity Hall. At the open day the Lady said that the chances of getting in are higher if you already have a room mate chosen so I thought I'd just give it a try on boards. I'm a very tidy, easy going person and I reckon I'd be a reasonably good room mate.

I'm doing computer science and language. I like movies/music/video games and computers of course ... not that into football or ball sports or whatever :L

Message me if you're interested :D:D:D:D

You a lad or a girl? I'm a lad doing general computer science and stuck for a roommate as well. Fire a PM there if you're interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 heyimbrendan

Hey I am going to study BESS in trinity this year, as accommodation is hard to find I'm just wondering if we could organise 4 people to rent out a reasonably priced house in Dublin.
    hopefully we could get 3 first year students to get involved. It may turn out cheaper than the normal student accommodation. PM me if you think this sounds like a good idea.
    thanks
    Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Hey I am going to study BESS in trinity this year, as accommodation is hard to find I'm just wondering if we could organise 4 people to rent out a reasonably priced house in Dublin.
    hopefully we could get 3 first year students to get involved. It may turn out cheaper than the normal student accommodation. PM me if you think this sounds like a good idea.
    thanks
    Brendan

Word of warning, at this stage of the year and with the rental situation in Dublin, you're far more likely to end up far away from college/in an expensive house/in a house in very poor condition. If you can at all, apply for Halls! 4 bed houses are like dignified girls in Magaluf, very very very hard to find.

Anybody know when and where the Warden of Halls will post the list of accepted student ID's tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ParadoxChimp

comeclosa wrote: »
    4 bed houses are like dignified girls in Magaluf, very very very hard to find.

Haha too true have been trying to find one for the last few weeks (second year) and it's proving very tough.

First years should stick to halls digs as most landlords look for previous landlord references and trying to find a place this time of year is very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dcarolan14

Hi all,
    I applied for Hall accommodation last week but was very disappointed to find out this morning that I didn't get in. I have no back-up plan now as I had thought that I would get in there and am fairly desperate at this stage. I've applied for the second-round offers although there doesn't seem to be much hope there. I said on my application last week that I'd prefer not to share but I think now it might be a good idea to say I will share and to include a person to share with. So if there's anyone in the same situation and would like to share with me please let me know. Or maybe you could share some advice about what to do now. I'm a male first-year medical student and I'm a friendly, studious, very clean and outgoing person. It might be worth a try! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 dcarolan14

Hi,
    I applied for Hall accommodation last week but was very disappointed to find out this morning that I didn't get in. I have no back-up plan now as I had thought that I would get in there and am fairly desperate at this stage. I've applied for the second-round offers although there doesn't seem to be much hope there. I said on my application that I'd prefer not to share but I think now it might be a good idea to share and to include a person to share with. So if there's anyone in the same situation and would like to share with me please let me know. I'm a male first-year medical student and I'm a friendly, studious, clean and easy-going person. It might be worth a try. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

dcarolan14 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I applied for Hall accommodation last week but was very disappointed to find out this morning that I didn't get in. I have no back-up plan now as I had thought that I would get in there and am fairly desperate at this stage. I've applied for the second-round offers although there doesn't seem to be much hope there. I said on my application last week that I'd prefer not to share but I think now it might be a good idea to say I will share and to include a person to share with. So if there's anyone in the same situation and would like to share with me please let me know. Or maybe you could share some advice about what to do now. I'm a male first-year medical student and I'm a friendly, studious, very clean and outgoing person. It might be worth a try! Thanks.

First and foremost, do not despair! What lies ahead will undoubtedly be stressful, however it IS manageable and you'll find a place to live SOMEWHERE.

What I would do now is set down a list of points and take things step by step. Write down your maximum rent, the maximum distance you're prepared to commute, if you're willing to share a room in private rented accommodation, how many people you're willing to share a house with, etc.

Make sure to join the TCDSU Accommodation Support Facebook group, there's plenty of people in the same boat as you, and who are just as freaked out!

Don't rule out digs, for many 1st years out there it may actually be the best option at this stage.

Another tip would be not to look for accommodation with too many people. Like... it's nice if theres a group of 4 or 5 of you searching for a place, but truly and honestly you won't find a 4 or 5 bed house at any reasonable price within any reasonable distance to college. 2 beds would be your best bet, with 3 beds being a possibility too. Join your class page if you haven't already and post there, it would be of great advantage for you to search for a place with other meds!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Riggins33

In the same boat man :(
    Med student aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

dcarolan14 wrote: »
    Hi all,

As the above poster said try not to panic! I was in the same position last year and didn't get second or third rounds. Make sure you find the tcdsu accommodation support group and join that.Some people might have another room that needs to be filled in a house so you can consider taking that. Again, definitely don't rule out taking digs because after a few weeks of college people might drop out and rooms will become free in halls and just keep emailing the accommodation office. several rooms will be available after christmas as well, so even if you must take digs until chirstmas and then can move into halls after its not the end of the world.

Last year there was a Homeless freshers group set up on fb specifically for people who didn't get halls, so that people could find others to look for houses with so maybe check out if there is one of them. I met my room mate last year in that group, we found a two bed flat together and it worked out great. I know the next two weeks will be so stressful just have hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I didn't get halls last year and I'm from Donegal. Ended up staying in digs two mins walk from Halls. Actually worked out perfectly as I had the best of both worlds (homemade dinners etc, and next to halls for going out) If its something you'd be interested in, PM me and I can tell you more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm going to merge this with the accommodation thread, try to keep seeking accommodation posts in one place

I made it :D

Wooooo me too

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

ahh god! not on the list....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Hi I got a round 2 offer for trinity but my round one was in Cork so I have no Dublin accommodate sorted. I rang up Halls and they said they reserve a few places for round 2 offers but not many. I can't even apply yet because they haven't sent me my tcd ID no. I don't know what to do..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ItsNotAyne

Hi has anyone heard of dublin student rooms? It's in the old Marlborough hotel. Don't think I'll get into second around halls offers and am looking for other options. It's dublinstudentrooms.com

Or does anyone have any other ideas?
    Thanks!

Advertisement