Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat a game from your backlog this February

Options
  • 03-02-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

So most if not all of us have a backlog of games. Why not try and get through a few of them. This month pick a game and beat it. Tell us what game you've chosen and a reason if you like. Then report back with any progress.

I've already chosen to beat inFAMOUS 2 in February.

To make it even more interesting you could post a list (or link) to the games in your backlog and have another member of boards choose your game for you. But they could be mean and choose a 100+ hour game :D

So come on, join me and tick some of those games off of your list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've had Sonic Adventure 2 (DC) sitting there for yonks, going justifiably unloved, and then, for some odd reason, I decided that I'd waste the last 4 odd euro of my PSN wallet on the HD Battle version during the January sale.

Basically, I'm stuck with two copies of a game I can barely stand. Though, it tends to edge more on the tolerable side if you jam through all the cutscenes, and rush the Knuckles/Rouge fetch-quests.

Mind, I'm not long removed from a Sonic Colours (Wii) playthrough, and it can still get quite annoying thinking of how long it took'em to sort out a truly decent 3D Sonic.

TL;DR: Sonic Adventure 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great idea, I have the Playstation Plus Instant Game Collection with loads of games, I've been trying too hard to do everything in games and get all trophies etc. and then there is Dark Souls that takes up so much time.
    I will make a list and decide.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Didn't Kotaku issue this challenge last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

im trying to get through a few of my backlog, dead space 1+2, arkham city and company of heros. i keep getting drawn back to others though, skyrim, team fortress on steam and then halo 4 multiplayer. i cant seem to stick to a single player game without going back to the reliables. its not helped with only having limited gaming time a week. suppose its kinda stick to what you know you enjoy when time is limited. first world problems

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great thread idea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Didn't Kotaku issue this challenge last week?

Maybe they did, I didn't see it. But I took the idea from NeoGaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I finally finished Half Life 2 yesterday. Only took me a few years!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

final fantasy 7 is the bane of my life.

1st played it on the PS1 - it had 3 discs, took about 30 hrs to finish the first disc and then the 2nd disc wouldnt load. have it now on the PS3. im afraid to go at it for fear of never being seen again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Nice thread idea. I would say ill finish Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II but i know ill just start it up and after one mission turn it off. I sooooooo want to like this game but the gameplay just isnt doing it for me :( Path of Exile and LoL are just eating all my gametime hours and deep inside i kinda want to play some of the other great games i have but i just know i wont :(

Ok, ill finish Bioshock 2...

...not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wish I could get past that bloody boss I'm stuck on in Rogue Galaxy :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lollypop Chainsaw for me right now (mainly cause I only started it a few days ago)
    But now Ni No Kuni has arrived.....LC may have to wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

**** this. I'm getting Trine 2 and Bastion off my list this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Well i just finished Thirty Flights of Loving in about 10 minutes.

Didnt really have a clue what was going on and i cant for the life of me understand why its gotten such good reviews.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭buckfast69

Since fifa 13 came out all my other games have been gathering dust. I really want to bet mass effect 3 finished, ive the lions share of it done so hopefilly i might be able to squeeze 2 games into feb.

I have a few other games that i only got half way through and gave up on them so ill have to get cracking with them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Syllabus wrote: »
    final fantasy 7 is the bane of my life.

1st played it on the PS1 - it had 3 discs, took about 30 hrs to finish the first disc and then the 2nd disc wouldnt load. have it now on the PS3. im afraid to go at it for fear of never being seen again

You'll have it cleared in 30-40 hours. It's not long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Started Gears of War 2 last week, finished it and am currently half way through Heavy Rain. Next up GoW 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I've been clearing my backlog since just before Christmas. Have finished:

Portal
    Portal 2
    Monkey Island
    Monkey Island 2
    Trine
    Trine 2
    Lego LOTR (completed it straight away, wasn't really backlog)
    Civ V: Gods & Kings (played a full game)

Have sunk some time into TF2 and Planetside 2, which I hadn't really bothered with previously.

Bastion and Tropico 3 next on the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Just Cause 2 has been gathering dust since October. Gonna try finishing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Right. I'll sign up for this. I have a back catalogue of tonnes of games. I tend to get bored of a game before I've finished it.

I'm going to mull over decision tonight (I'm working all night) and decide by 9am. I'll then start the game tomorrow.

I will report back each time I've played it, and let you know my thoughts on the game. I'll use spoiler tags, where appropriate.

I don't get as much game time as I'd like, but that might soon change, due to a change in job.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

I'm trying my very best to finish all these at the mo....

Ni No Kuni
    SKYRIM
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
    Xcom: Enemy Unknown
    Far Cry 3
    Darksiders 2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well i just finished Thirty Flights of Loving in about 10 minutes.

Didnt really have a clue what was going on and i cant for the life of me understand why its gotten such good reviews.:confused:

The way it tells its story using cinematic editing techniques is wholly original and intriguing, challenging our preconcieved ideas of interactive space and time. Consider it more of an experiment in storytelling than a full on game in the traditional sense. Got great reviews because it challenges the well established rules much more than any bigger releases would dare, while still telling a surprisingly funny and involving story that really rewards a replay or two (try it with the commentary mode on).

Also, it is full of geeky Wong Kar-wai homages, which one can never begrudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Notorioux wrote: »
    I'm trying my very best to finish all these at the mo....

Ni No Kuni
    SKYRIM
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
    Xcom: Enemy Unknown
    Far Cry 3
    Darksiders 2

3 RPGs and Xcom. Yeah good luck finishing them this year :D

Just Cause 2 has been gathering dust since October. Gonna try finishing it

That is a good choice. Just Cause 2 is a really fun game once you learn to ignore the story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's a bit skyrimmy though. it's all great fun and you're really enjoying it until you suddenly realise you've been doing the exact same thing over and over again for the last 20 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Yeah this is my kind of thread. Am getting terrible for finishing games and I'm picking up too many to ignore this. This month I WILL finish Batman:Arkham Asylum.

When I finish it (or at the start of next month, but then at the latest) I'll def be up for putting up a list of games for people to pick. Problem is I'm pretty sure I've over 100....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Finally started Super Princess Peach yesterday. It's been sitting there waiting to be played since xmas, but Pokémon has gotten all my attention instead. Seems to be handy enough, so I doubt it will take long. GTA: Chinatown Wars is up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've done a good job of clearing my backlog in the past year. It got to the stage where enough was enough and I just refused to buy any new games.

I then got 5 games as presents over Xmas (thank you Amazon wishlist :D).

I'll commit to beating HALO 4 over Feb! do such recent games count :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'm a disgrace, here's my list (of shame):
    1. Arkham City - got bored with the gliding sections of the Ra's al Ghuh stuff and left it to gather dust. Shame cause I loved AA.
    2. AC Brotherhood (I think - the one after AC2 anyway). I loved AC2, and wanted to catch up on the series before AC3 came out. That went well.
    3. Max Payne 3. Loved MP1, replayed it loads. Enjoyed MP2. Got MP3, and even though I've a decent tv found it way too murky, couldn't enjoy it so stopped playing.
    4. Kid Icarus - got so bored with this. It's fun and all but it wrecks the head sometimes.
    So peoples, tell me what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Binary Domain, I've heard it's bloody brilliant and I got it dirt cheap.

• Advertisement

steve_r wrote: »
    I'm a disgrace, here's my list (of shame):
    1. Arkham City - got bored with the gliding sections of the Ra's al Ghuh stuff and left it to gather dust. Shame cause I loved AA.
    2. AC Brotherhood (I think - the one after AC2 anyway). I loved AC2, and wanted to catch up on the series before AC3 came out. That went well.
    3. Max Payne 3. Loved MP1, replayed it loads. Enjoyed MP2. Got MP3, and even though I've a decent tv found it way too murky, couldn't enjoy it so stopped playing.
    4. Kid Icarus - got so bored with this. It's fun and all but it wrecks the head sometimes.
    So peoples, tell me what to do!

An easy choice - AC Brotherhood. It is in my opinion the best of the AC games and one of the best, if not the very best game of this generation. The main character and setting are both excellent. Plus the introduction of your assassin followers adds lots of depth to the game.

Advertisement