Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

TR072 Pharmacy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

mia_xx wrote: »
    Guys..they were so strict on attendance during the first few days saying that we couldn't miss anything. Did anybody hear that one of the girls didn't have to go to college all week because she was sick? What's the deal with that? Is attendance really that strict after all?

I presume she had a medical cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

She must've had a valid excuse. Missing classes for the sake of it looks like a seriously bad idea with the sheer amount of content that we've been covering in each lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Do they take attendance?

Do they take attendance?
    Depends on the lecture. They don't in big lectures like Biology or Biochemistry but they occasionally take attendance in some of the smaller Pharmacy-only lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mia_xx

Ok I feel bad now. Someone told me today that she was in hospital all week. Poor thing :(

If anyone knows this girl can they please tell her i'm immensely sorry for mentioning her illness on boards. I was rather jealous of someone not having to go to any lectures but now I just feel guilty! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 The Pharmacist on the Moon

Has anyone bought a biochemistry textbook yet and if so what one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mia_xx

So is it definite that we don't have a reading week? :(

mia_xx wrote: »
    So is it definite that we don't have a reading week? :(
    Nope, we've got lectures all throughout the week afaik.

For any 2nd, 3rd or even 4th years... what's the practical MCQ for PH1001 like? I can't say i'm hugely worried about it as it's only worth 25% of the practical component (5% in total) but even so a bit of advice as to what to expect wouldn't go amiss.

Welcome to everyone who just accepted their offer for TCD Pharmacy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Welcome to everyone who just accepted their offer for TCD Pharmacy :D

Any words of wisdom? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

JeaicMaG wrote: »

Am going into third year myself!
    Words of wisdom=study
    From day one that is!
    Especially physiology! Don't skip any lectures either! You've no idea how intense this course is going to be!
    The failure rate is very high in 1st and 2nd year! This year more than half of us 2nd years have to do a repeat! so don't book any holidays for the last week in August/first week in September.
    Dont worry about biochem! You'll be confused as hell for the first month or so and dreading the exam! we'll sort you all out there though (answers to mcqs!:D)
    Join dupsa and go to all the wine receptions! theyre worth it!

ps enjoy Pharmaceutics!:o Carstens lovely....thrust me!:D

If you don't want a hellish year, go to all your lectures. You don't need to constantly spend your time in the library. You can relax all you like throughout the year so long as you pay attention in lectures, take good notes and work as hard as you can on your coursework.

Some tips for JF modules:
    Biochemistry:
    The lectures are incredibly detailed and very intimidating for people fresh from LC Biology and Chemistry. Some of the lecturers in this course will take it at a reasonable pace and have absolutely excellent lecture notes. Others give their lectures at an unbelievable pace while assuming huge amounts of prior knowledge and have no lecture notes to boot. Additional reading is a must for some parts of the course. A consolation is that the assessment for the module is a ridiculously easy project and fairly straightforward MCQ exam.

Biology:
    One of your double credit modules. The lecture theatre is huge and dark, the seats are uncomfortable and there's something very soporific about the whole lecture experience. The material is very interesting but there are *vast* amounts of it and you often need to do additional reading to make sense of things. Couple that with the fact that it's only for the first semester and you get examined on it in May you absolutely need to keep this module under control. There is a practical element to this module. The labs are very well organised and the experiments you carry out are quite interesting. All I can say for it is to try and ace the MCQ exam and coursework as they're worth 33% and are trivially easy in comparison to the final written exam.

Physiology:
    Has a reputation for being incredibly difficult and with good reason. Like biology, there is a vast amount of material to cover. The lecture slides mention a lot of topics but are ridiculously sparse in content. The book is huge, tedious and full of interesting but not necessarily essential information and it's hard to find what you're looking for at times. For Physiology, make sure you look at the course handbook and read what the lecturers suggest. It won't be enough to make the information stick but it's better than learning everything from scratch in April! Another thing is to go to the lectures. Most of the people who had to sit vivas or outright failed this year were the ones who didn't go to the lectures (They're all 9AM lectures). There's also an in-course MCQ assessment run online at the end of every topic. It's not easy but it's only worth 10% and it's a great way to see what you need to revise.

PH1001 (More or less organic chemistry):
    One of the easier modules. Your first lecture in the course will be PH1001 with Dr. Quigley (Who is incidentally a legend of a man :D). Coming from LC Chemistry it starts off with familiar topics about Bohr's model e.t.c. and then instantly veers off in to seemingly complicated mathematical models of wave equations. A shocking first lecture that had everyone worried but as you'll soon discover, it's a very tame module. All in all, there's nothing to worry about in the theory. It's very doable. There are labs in PH1001 and they're fairly straightforward as well but keep in mind that your yields/quality and your lab reports are marked. There's also a 20+ page drug report that needs to be handed in before February that you need to put a lot of effort in. It's not marked easy so make sure it's high quality.

PH1002 (Physical pharmacy):
    Not particularly easy but not that difficult either. Pay attention in lectures and you'll be fine. There are labs in this module but be warned that they're not particularly exciting. You're marked on the lab reports so put in the effort for them. It's an easier way of getting marks than the final exam.

PH1003 (More or less pharmaceutical chemistry):
    A very varied and content-packed double credit module. All of the lecturers covering this module are excellent and their lecture notes equally so. All that you really need to do is keep on top of things and make sure you understand everything that's going on. Do extra reading if you must. Again, there are labs and your reports are marked so do your best to get some marks before the exam.

PH1004 (Pharmaceutics):
    One of my favourite modules. The theory is quite easy. The practical's also straightforward but has a notoriously high fail rate and those that pass rarely do well. You need to pay close attention to detail as even slight mistakes in your preparations can cost you dearly. All said and done, it's by far one of the more enjoyable modules you'll do.

PH1005 (Mathematics and Pharmaceutical calculations):
    Not at all difficult if you did HL Maths. That said... with project maths lacking integration and matrices it may not be as much of a breeze as last year. Personally, i'd go to the lectures just to be sure. The other thing you need to watch out for is the calculations test (There's another one in PH1004). You need 7/10 in each to pass and there's no leniency.

PH1006 (Practice of Pharmacy):
    The written paper isn't too bad (So long as you don't question spot :rolleyes:). The practicals are very good too and you shouldn't have any issues with them. There's a written dissertation worth 10% that you should keep on top of. It's usually marked quite hardly so don't hand up any old thing.

PH1007:
    Group assignments that culminate in a final assignment (Problem based learning) where you (or others in your group) have to give a presentation. There are no grades, only pass or fail and being honest the only way to fail is if you actively try to fail. That said, it's actually one of the best ways to broaden your knowledge and learn so i'd put as much effort as possible in to it.

Finally, one final word is wisdom is to try and always remember that it's not *that* difficult. It will all seem incredibly overwhelming at times throughout the year but with a bit of work it's not difficult to do well. I paid attention and attended all year, put in a lot of effort in to my coursework and managed to get a high 1.1 by intensely cramming three weeks before the exam. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as it's both physically and mentally stressful but what i'm trying to say is that even if you're a bit relaxed all year you can still do well if you put in the right amount and type of work at the end of the year.

Oh yeah and find time to relax and enjoy yourself throughout the year. College isn't all about work after all :P

Thanks very much Scortho and partytatmygaff :D Huge amount of helpful information :) By the way are the exams all in May?

Thanks very much Scortho and partytatmygaff :D Huge amount of helpful information :) By the way are the exams all in May?
    Yeah save for a few small informal quizzes (Not worth any marks...) and practical exams / MCQs.

If you'd like an idea of what the exams are like, past papers for the annual exams held in May are found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 The Pharmacist on the Moon

My advice would be to keep on top of physiology throughout the year, pay attention in the pharmaceutics lab classes, put a lot of effort into the biology mcq at christmas(so you're not freaking out in May), don't leave your drug report and dissertation to the last minute and most importantly go out and get locked as much as you can in the September to April period.

Sound! :D What are MCQs if you don't mind me asking? Also is there much Physics to be covered? (I didn't take it for the Leaving Cert)

Sound! :D What are MCQs if you don't mind me asking? Also is there much Physics to be covered? (I didn't take it for the Leaving Cert)
    MCQs are multiple choice questions. They're not the nice, easy kind of multiple choice questions you may or may not have done back in school or on the internet. They're fairly challenging. The answers are always incredibly similar and most are negatively marked to make sure you don't guess. As for Physics, there's an entire module but it doesn't appear to be anything like LC physics.

MCQs are multiple choice questions. They're not the nice, easy kind of multiple choice questions you may or may not have done back in school or on the internet. They're fairly challenging. The answers are always incredibly similar and most are negatively marked to make sure you don't guess. As for Physics, there's an entire module but it doesn't appear to be anything like LC physics.

Noted :) Oh good! Thanks for all the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

Hey can I ask your opinion on getting away for a week in March?

Friend of mine is getting married abroad but didn't want to book it until I knew what would be happening with college :s

• Advertisement

Hey can I ask your opinion on getting away for a week in March?

Friend of mine is getting married abroad but didn't want to book it until I knew what would be happening with college :s

If it is pharmacy your doing they take attendance in most of the lectures as its a requirement of the PSI. The only day we got off last year in March was for Paddys.

However if you say it to them early on in the year they probably won't mind. Depends who you're Tutor is.

If you're doing any other course, it should be fine

Thanks Scortho, it is Pharmacy I'm doing, might even just be a long weekend that I would be away for, more worried about falling behind for exams, is it foolish ? or may a break would be good around that time?

Also - was thinking of trying to get one or two shifts of work a week, is this realistic given the amount of material on the course?
    (That combined with bringing up an eleven year old boy!)

Appreciate your input

Thanks Scortho, it is Pharmacy I'm doing, might even just be a long weekend that I would be away for, more worried about falling behind for exams, is it foolish ? or may a break would be good around that time?

Also - was thinking of trying to get one or two shifts of work a week, is this realistic given the amount of material on the course?

Appreciate your input

First of all congrats on getting a place.

The exams are tough and its intense. Compared to other courses the failure rate is high. However if you do regular study during the year you should be ok and a week off shouldn't hurt. Also by March most of the courses are covered or nearly covered.

On the work side, I worked approx. 20+ hours each week during the college year, primarily because I needed the money. However it did take its toll on me.

The course is fairly intense. You're looking at 9-5 everyday and sometimes you'll be in until 6. I only worked weekends but with an 11 year old boy, the only free time that you will have for him is on the weekends.

Not necessarily foolish, being honest I learned 80-90% of the course material in my own time. In a way, the main advantage of being at lectures is hearing the material direct from the lecturer setting the exam. They don't give hints but you do note what they spent a lot of time on and what they just flew through. One lecturer (Who you may possibly have during March) however doesn't have digital copies of her lecture notes and gives handouts to the class at the start of each lecture. For her part of PH1003, you'll need a friend whose notes you can copy.

Labs, coursework and exams on the other hand are quite a bit more problematic. March is a pretty hectic month. You'll have dispensing labs (Where your performance each week contributes to your final grade), pharmaceutics labs where the mock exam and the final two weeks are essential to passing the practical exam and the analysis lab where not being present during the lab will make life very difficult near the end of term when your reports are due to be handed in for marking. There's also the issue of the calculations test. A pass in that test is essential to continue on to SF. If it's Quigley's test he may allow you to take it in the repeat session but Ehrhardt may not be so lenient.

As for actually being allowed to take a week off, you're allowed to do that at any time without necessarily having to ask. That said, it's better if you let them know why you were missing. Seeing as it's a wedding and not something like an illness, there's little chance of them offering you extensions on assignments or anything like that.

Appreciate your input
    Very do-able but you need to make sure you keep up with study so you don't have a nightmare come April.

Thank you both for your replies, they've been extremely helpful and have given me alot to think about!

Apart from just hanging out with my son I also need to get him to football training and matches 3/4 times a week so I doubt I'll be able to work too :(

Is going to be hard to pull it all together but I'm sure is all part of the joys
    of third level :)

Sorry to bother ye again but I fell sick Monday of the first week of lectures (w5) and have been home since Thursday. There's a decent chance I will miss this week also (w6) :( Will I be able to catch up?

Sorry to bother ye again but I fell sick Monday of the first week of lectures (w5) and have been home since Thursday. There's a decent chance I will miss this week also (w6) :( Will I be able to catch up?
    You should be fine aside from labs. Make sure to get a sick note when you're back.

Finding PH1002 and Biochemistry confusing at them moment. Big jump from LC material...

biochem will be fine. its a mcq! Probably the easiest exam you will ever do as we have the answers to them (somewhere) and will be more than willing to share them with you. trust me on this I was in the same boat in first year!

Ph1002 is Quigley. Yes its confusing. His stuff is so out there beyond reality that its impossible to understand. But because its Quigley its probably one of the most easiest modules you'll actually do.

Dont worry about it if your not understanding it in the first few weeks! We were all the same.
    Other that Partyatmygaff.....that chap is a genius apparently

• Advertisement

Finding PH1002 and Biochemistry confusing at them moment. Big jump from LC material...
    Don't worry. It's all a massive jump from the LC both in terms of complexity and the sheer amount of content (Just wait for physiology to start). That said, come exam time if you've attended the lectures and did a reasonable bit of study you'll do just fine.

Quigley's stuff in PH1002 is a bit intimidating but his questions on the exam itself are usually easy enough. As for Biochemistry, that's a walk in the park. The lecture material can be very intimidating (especially Porter/Mantle/Voorheis' section of the course) but as for assessment the course is ridiculously easy. The MCQ paper isn't difficult and the proteomics project worth 25% of your grade is almost a guaranteed 25% due to its simplicity.

Advertisement