Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Fake Irish passport allegation in spy case"

Options
  • 29-06-2010 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭

One of the ten people arrested in the US accused of being part of an alleged Russian spy ring is also accused of using a false Irish passport.
    A man named Richard Murphy, born in Philadelphia and living in New Jersey, was instructed to use the false Irish passport, according to details contained in the criminal complaint documents released by the US Justice Department.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0629/spy.html

Getting a bit feckin silly now, though at least they weren't bumping off people.

Ideally we could fine states doing this kind of thing through an international body. What think ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This is definetly starting to get silly. I agree with the sentiment above, that some sort of internationally recognised machanism to deal with this kind of thing is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It was probably a passport that was stolen from an Irish citizen abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Haddockman wrote: »
    It was probably a passport that was stolen from an Irish citizen abroad.

Possibly, but if its found that the Russians are involved I think in the interest of fairness we should expel a Russian diplomat at least.

Maybe boycott Russian produce too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nodin wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0629/spy.html

Getting a bit feckin silly now, though at least they weren't bumping off people.

Ideally we could fine states doing this kind of thing through an international body. What think ye?

Fine Isarel??? Ya right.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Well, that's coal, oil and gas out so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Vodka too. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

This is a disgrace. States are effectively taking advantage of our good name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Possibly, but if its found that the Russians are involved I think in the interest of fairness we should expel a Russian diplomat at least.

We will boycott their gas and oil that we badly need to keep the prices down, maybe the EU will get involve to do the same and freeze their own arse's this winter in protest. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Irish passports were previously frowned upon in certain countries due to the IRA.Presently they had not been for a number of years,Now again we will be scrutinised to be sure we are in fact Irish with all this malarkey going on :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I expect to see a thread with a list of all Russian products which we can boycott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wait I'm confused - Was it a Russia Spy or an American?

Why is everybody using poor Ireland as a scapegoat?

dlofnep wrote: »

Russian spy as far as i read.

I think it was American citizens, spying for Russia on the USA.

Just read they are actual Russian citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Wonder will we be expelling some Russian diplomats..... seriously doubt it.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    Wonder will we be expelling some Russian diplomats..... seriously doubt it.

If we found out that a Russian diplomat from inside Ireland forged a passport, then yes - that official should be expelled.

If we found out that a Russian diplomat from inside Ireland forged a passport, then yes - that official should be expelled.
    We'd never find out. It's Russia for fecks sake!

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    We'd never find out. It's Russia for fecks sake!

Aye, they are a tricky bunch! But I mean - there is a difference between forging it in Ireland, and possibly stealing one abroad. We have no one to pin it on.

Still though - I think we should call on the Russian ambassador to give an explanation and an apology.

Aye, they are a tricky bunch! But I mean - there is a difference between forging it in Ireland, and possibly stealing one abroad. We have no one to pin it on.

Still though - I think we should call on the Russian ambassador to give an explanation and an apology.
    Agreed. But again, it's Russia. They aren't likely to offer an apology to a small country like Ireland.

We would have to put international pressure on them but I doubt any international body, including the E.U would be willing to put pressure on Russia. They are too economically important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/29/russia.spying.analysis/index.html?iref=NS1&fbid=Pd5h5nHz_3P

i don't see why anyone is surprised. it's likely, as the above article suggests, this is going on most of the time and we know nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Agreed ... i just dont think those making the decision would have the balls.

anna-chapman-460_1668698c.jpg

Anna Chapman bought a mobile phone using the address '99 Fake Street'
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7862663/Spy-kitbag-everything-you-need-to-be-a-real-life-James-Bond.html

How in a matter of weeks the same thing happening from two different countries.
    I wonder do we have spies here or elsewhere buahahaha i am jking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    This is a disgrace. States are effectively taking advantage of our good name.

States are effectively taking advantage of the fact we're a soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

why then would he need a irish passport to be in the USA when he is already a citizen of the country he is spying in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Nodin wrote: »
    What passports were the so-called Columbia Three travelling with?
    Have they been extradited to Columbia by Michael Martin, a minister to whom the integrity of the Irish passport is paramount?

Whats good for the goose etc . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Other passports are used as well. Ireland is seen as a soft touch - or was - and a neutral country.

British passports also turned up in the middle of this.

Spies use forged documents of third party countries shocker... It has been too long since the cold war, hasn't it?

It's not a national insult. It's just espionage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

How could you do this through an international body? doesn't that defeat the purpose of spying?

Why the hell are the US and Russia spying on each other anyway?

Maybe they bought the passport from Haughey (zombie haughey)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Why the hell are the US and Russia spying on each other anyway?
    Russia has 9,600 nuclear reasons to spy on the US. The US about the same in reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Maybe they bought the passport from Haughey (zombie haughey)

People seem to have forgotten that whole bin Mahfouz passports-for-favours scandal from not too long ago, haven't they?

Advertisement