Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That thing about the native wildlife not eating eucalyptus is a bit of a myth. The juvenile leaves are usually covered in whitefly or greenfly during the summer.
    The adult leaves are tougher but still get eaten.
    Livestock, deer and rabbits will eat most Eucalyptus trees so protect young trees with top grade rabbit wire compounds secured in place on timber stakes
    Anyway, I'm not sure how anyone can walk through a forest and declare the "trees are untouched by wildlife". If you walked through either a conifer or a deciduous forest you would not expect to see the trees stripped of their leaves/bark unless some terrible catastrophe had just occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I planted a mountain ash at the bottom of the garden about 5 years ago. It has a massive amount of berries on it at the moment and I just counted 3 juvenile Blackbirds and 2 juvenile Song Thrushes in it all at the same time this evening!:D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

They're banning eucalyptus plantations all over the world.
    A eucalyptus tree consumes 90 litres of water a day

During summers and times of drought, its roots can go down up to 30ft

Compared to 177m mean depth of groundwater, eucalyptus plantations have increased depth to 260m

Borewell yield within 1km of plantation reduced by more than 35 per cent in five years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They're banning eucalyptus plantations all over the world.

Big job to ban them. They are the lifeblood of paper pulp manufacture in many countries. Who exactly is the 'they'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

Big job to ban them. They are the lifeblood of paper pulp manufacture in many countries. Who exactly is the 'they'?

ah I left out the word trying, parts of Australia, India, different states in the US, eventually they'll ban it.

• Advertisement

ah I left out the word trying, parts of Australia, India, different states in the US, eventually they'll ban it.

Ah! Trying!

Australia want to ban a native tree? This makes little sense. They have over 90 million hectares of Eucalypt forest n Australia; it's three-quarters of the total native forest area.

And still who are 'they'?

I found the article; 2015 in The Hindu.

The Karnataka High Court 'asked' the Department to consider a ban after an unsuccessful claimant maintained they have caused his water table to lower. The Department said it was not possible to enforce any such ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Just spotted three juveniles among the Goldfinches at my niger feeder. They were lots of juveniles several weeks ago so is this likely to be a second clutch?

Rosahane wrote: »
    Just spotted three juveniles among the Goldfinches at my niger feeder. They were lots of juveniles several weeks ago so is this likely to be a second clutch?

First clutch juveniles will still be juveniles. A second clutch would be fledging at least 5 weeks after the first. So, could be either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Can some learned person verify if this is a Moss Carder Bee nest ?

Just spotted this nest today beside the pond system in my garden here in the countryside. On a site this last 7 years that we have tried to transform the garden to a natural habitat for all types of nature and to my delight starting to see lots of wildlife about as it begins to mature. Have seen a few nests in the garden already from wasp to Bumble Bee but this one is a first. Live near the coast here in Kerry, I believe Carder Bees are often found on coastal margins.

kwIbEIW.jpg?1

Close up

iB1IkSw.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Nice nest. I think you mean moss carder bee.
    Carding was part of the weaving process in ye olden days, a way of straightening out the wool fibres.
    Any photos of the actual bee, is it like this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

recedite wrote: »
    Nice nest. I think you mean moss carder bee.
    Carding was part of the weaving process in ye olden days, a way of straightening out the wool fibres.
    Any photos of the actual bee, is it like this?

Oops! adjusted the spelling . Yes that is the one all right thanks, seeing them coming and going this evening and some seem to be rambling around on the ground with bits of dried grass and moss and possibly building a tunnel type structure or maybe a new nest beside it.

Congrats on attracting in these unusual bees, you must be doing something right :)
    Any Natterjack toads around?

Thanks. No haven't seen any Natterjacks around here, we are a couple of miles from the coast, good few frogs though. The only thing is we get quite a few Great Diving Beetles and they or their larvae seem to devour the tadpoles!

Vi0Fav7.jpg?1

FgJmpQG.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Fantastic garden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

Passing through Ballyboughal village today seen a dead Kingfisher in the middle of the road which I'd assume was hit by a car.

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Good point..maybe the Kites are slow to expand and as very social birds are probably not very territorial , anyway I've asked a couple questions in the Red Kite section of the Eagle site so I'll see what they have to say..
    Open to correction but I don't think they are feeding now right enough..
    Re Woodpeckers, I've had a bird here in the garden a couple of days ago that I'm convinced was a Woodpecker , he flew over head near me but with the sun in my eyes it was difficult to make out the markings, I resorted to keeping the bins beside me at mealtimes as with the hot weather we would have the sliding doors open in the kitchen.. Every time I heard him I would rush out to have a look but the little bugger made sure he was well out of sight in the middle of a large conifer.
    He apoears to have gone now, maybe just as well, I think the other was half was considering having me committed ...:rolleyes:
    Ta DA!! I can confirm that my mystery bird is indeed a Great Spotted Woodpecker! It has been coming and going constantly and my frustration was rising in tandem with each visit but it eventually stopped to examine a dead conifer at the edge of the garden so with no foliage I had a clear view at long last...coincided with a very clear view of a Long Eared Owl who chose to visit the same conifers at more or less the same time..
    It's days like these that make it worthwhile getting up in the morning..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Ta DA!! I can confirm that my mystery bird is indeed a Great Spotted Woodpecker! It has been coming and going constantly and my frustration was rising in tandem with each visit but it eventually stopped to examine a dead conifer at the edge of the garden so with no foliage I had a clear view at long last...coincided with a very clear view of a Long Eared Owl who chose to visit the same conifers at more or less the same time..
    It's days like these that make it worthwhile getting up in the morning..:)

what part of the country are you in, may I ask?

Near Greystones, North Wicklow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Bsal wrote:
    Passing through Ballyboughal village today seen a dead Kingfisher in the middle of the road which I'd assume was hit by a car.

I knew thats what it was I saw on the road today. Passed through early today and was thinking robin but it was much bigger! Keep an eye out for red kites in the area I've seen a few lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Pretty cool post this from Clara Bog Visitors Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I was wondering if anyone else who frequents the wooded area in Bush park has noticed the decline in the wildlife since Dublin City council started the works in the area.
    I haven't seen the same numbers of songbirds and I am positive the kingfishers have gone.
    I also can not figure out why they cleared certain areas and replaced the bushes with conifers instead of broadleaf trees which are more common in the woods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

I've never visited Bushy Park but Dublin City Council has removed shrubbery from many of its parks: Mountjoy Square, Ringsend Park and, more recently, Herbert Park and Merrion Square.
    The problem, unfortunately, is the shrubbery gives cover not just to wildlife but also antisocial behaviour such as drinking dens, sleeping rough, mugging and urinating in public.
    http://www.newsfour.ie/2015/02/bush-warfare/

Noticing large amounts of Swallows passing through my area (Swords) the past few days.

Dead Badger on the side of the road at St Annes Pk, Raheny. Sad, but at least evidence there are still Badgers there.

I was cruising back to Weston airport yesterday afternoon in a light aircraft at 2,000ft and almost hit a Cormorant. Think I was around Athboy at the time, the Cormorant was heading eastbound, first time encountering one at that altitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

microlight ?

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

microlight ?

Cessna 152.

Just curious, but what is the "windscreen" like on one of those for impact resistance. Cormorant would be a fairly hefty bird, if you met one head on.

• Advertisement

Only perspex, it seems. And a cormorants beak would be sharper than a buzzard's in the horizontal flying position.
    Well, hopefully you'll be going full Biggles from now on, with goggles, scarf and flying jacket, so even if you lose the windscreen you'll still be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

On IWeBS count duty in recent days came across several decoy ducks along a reedy shore - obviously put there as lures by wildfowlers. Dunno what the general view of these things or this practice is, but personally dislike them. I’ve no problem with wildfowlers per se, but if duck shooters haven’t the skills/fieldcraft to stalk their quarry without use of these decoys , seems a bit of a cheaters charter ?

On IWeBS count duty in recent days came across several decoy ducks along a reedy shore - obviously put there as lures by wildfowlers. Dunno what the general view of these things or this practice is, but personally dislike them. I’ve no problem with wildfowlers per se, but if duck shooters haven’t the skills/fieldcraft to stalk their quarry without use of these decoys , seems a bit of a cheaters charter ?
    Using guns as opposed to a bow and arrow is a bit of a cheat anyway :)
    BTW I have sometimes seen these decoys at ornamental ponds outside hotels and the like. Not sure if this is a deliberate way of encouraging real ducks for improving the aesthetics of the place, or if its just what happens at the end of the evening after wildfowlers have imbibed a few pints at the bar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I was actually down at a lake in the midlands with the local BWI branch last year, showing them how to do an I-WeBS count, and across the lake there were two lads dropping a load of decoys. It was a bit of a windy day - to be honest if I hadn't seen them putting them out I probably would have counted them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I was actually down at a lake in the midlands with the local BWI branch last year, showing them how to do an I-WeBS count, and across the lake there were two lads dropping a load of decoys. It was a bit of a windy day - to be honest if I hadn't seen them putting them out I probably would have counted them! :D

I spent 2 hours back in May on a Fen lake in Roscommon trying to id 3 unusual ducks - I got nearer and nearer till it became clear there were decoys!!, I'd say some of the locals driving by had a good laugh to themselves:o

• Advertisement

Two swallows battling the gales round the garden a couple of minutes ago!

Make that four now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

sparrows are unbelievable just feeding and washing away even during the most powerful gusts , like nothings going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what do birds usually do during storms? stay in their nest and hunker down?

fryup wrote: »
    what do birds usually do during storms? stay in their nest and hunker down?

Not in nests no. Nests are primarily for rearing young. But, they do hunker down. Some studies suggest birds can sense an approaching storm a few days away, by ultrasound emitted by storms, and that migratory birds will leave an area early or alter their routes accordingly. However, fleeing an area is not practicable for most bird species. They just hunker down, as you said, and shelter on the leeward side of trees or inside thick hedges. The decreased wind speed in these microhabitats is considerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

There's a park by me, with grass that gets cut. There's a 50 narrow strip at the border which no one uses, but still gets cut. Would it be better for wildlife if it's never cut or less frequently cut? If so, how do I go about making this happen?

• Advertisement

Ideally, for a wildlife meadow, the grass would be grazed in early spring and again in late summer. During May/June wildflowers would bloom and the grass would grow longer, and insects would abound.

However its going to be difficult to replicate this with conventional parks dept. machinery.

It might be possible for a residents association or similar to come to an agreement with the park maintenance people to take over management of the strip. But it would be a lot of extra work compared to just mowing it as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

recedite wrote: »
    Ideally, for a wildlife meadow, the grass would be grazed in early spring and again in late summer. During May/June wildflowers would bloom and the grass would grow longer, and insects would abound.

However its going to be difficult to replicate this with conventional parks dept. machinery.

It might be possible for a residents association or similar to come to an agreement with the park maintenance people to take over management of the strip. But it would be a lot of extra work compared to just mowing it as usual.

Would be better to mow once in the autumn (minimum mid-September) and bale away the grass. If strong aftergrass, then some aftermath grazing for a few weeks (a month after mowing). Meadow should be closed by end of November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I saw a male hen harrier this afternoon, my first time seeing one. It was been harassed by crows and jackdaws.

A lynx on the loose in Wales.
    I wonder how long it will remain in the wild. Reared in captivity, but at one year old, its a good age for the natural dispersal instinct to kick in.
    And if it finds somewhere suitable to live, they can be a very elusive animal.

I thought this bit was weird :) ...
    There have been other sightings further afield, including a Borth householder who phoned the zoo to say the cat was in her garden. Keepers hurried over only to find it was a sheep.
    I mean, if you're the kind of person who has sheep in the garden, surely.....

Counted 7 Buzzards sitting in one field in Co Kildare yesterday!

Have a Goldcrest visiting the garden daily the past week, stunning little bird.

Counted 7 Buzzards sitting in one field in Co Kildare yesterday!

And today, in the same field, 9 Buzzards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Rosahane

For the last couple of months the feeders have mainly hosted at least a dozen or so each of goldfinches and sparrows, a few blue and great tits and a robin. However yesterday saw an invasion of redpolls, several greenfinches and three (I think) coal tits. Earlier in the summer we had lots of chaffinches with the sparrows, goldfinches and tits but haven't seen one for weeks.
    Early in the year, and last year, the sparrows were very scarce.
    ...Oh and we get up to ten collared doves sporadically and an occasional sparrow hawk.

A reminder to all: don't forget to clean all feeders tables at least once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

What household products can/can't be used Srameen?

• Advertisement
Advertisement