Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

theteal wrote: »
    My sarcasm detector is a little offline this morning. Apologies if that's a serious question but are people still under the illusion that carlsberg and heineken are premium products?

Carlsberg is the one of cheapest pints in many pubs over here. It's just a generic mass-produced lager the same as heineken, becks, harp, bud, fosters, stella, miller etc. They all serve a purpose but I see them as a last resort if there's nothing more interesting available. It kind of sickens me when I'm back at home and have to fork out ~€5 for the privilege of not having a decent choice.

Anyway, we popped in to one in Romford yesterday evening after "enjoying" a nice shopping expedition in a million degree heat. It's £1.99 for a can of Bengali (when did they change the can and drop the "Tiger"), it's frankly rude to turn that down. It'll be a shame if the cost of doing business in Ireland forces 'spoons prices up as it'll stop people sampling new beers.
    Never said premium, said non branded.

I can go into any pub and order said drinks and pay much the same, so why would I go to a new pub and do the same?
    That’s like saying oh a new burrito place opened and then went in and just ordered chips as sure that’s what I usually get and won’t try new stuff.

I assumed the idea behind weather spoons was to try new and hopefully cheaper drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

jeffk wrote: »
    Assume that’s the idea of weather spoons; try a non-branded cheaper alternative

The Devils Backbone is nice. An American IPA. Quite strong.

I also tried the Hobgoblin but wasn't too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Never said premium, said non branded.

You indeed did not say premium, I apologise, just your comment sparked a memory of a chat I had with one of the lads the other week (he of the "but they don't sell heineken" fraternity) and I went into auto-rant mode.
    I can go into any pub and order said drinks and pay much the same, so why would I go to a new pub and do the same?
    That’s like saying oh a new burrito place opened and then went in and just ordered chips as sure that’s what I usually get and won’t try new stuff.

I assumed the idea behind weather spoons was to try new and hopefully cheaper drink?

That is a large part of the idea. Personally I'd very rarely go into a 'spoons unless I was a bit peckish too - there are better/more comfortable pubs around here if I was just going for a similarly priced drink.

How much is a pint of the usual suspects in Blanch? In my old locals in D12 you're looking at €4.65 iirc and that was a couple of years ago. Looking at the menu posted a bit back for TGW, I can see a couple of IPAs for €3.50. They're both new and cheaper. That's a significant saving, after 4 pints you'd still have enough for a bag of food poisoning on the way home.

I'd be more inclined to go for a Ghost Ship or Doom Bar (always had a soft spot for it!) at €2.50 but they wouldn't really be a fair comparison to your preference for lager. . .although I'd still recommend you try one :D

I will agree that some of the other prices are a bit disappointing compared to initial expectations but such is the cost of doing business in Ireland.

theteal wrote: »
    You indeed did not say premium, I apologise, just your comment sparked a memory of a chat I had with one of the lads the other week (he of the "but they don't sell heineken" fraternity) and I went into auto-rant mode.

That is a large part of the idea. Personally I'd very rarely go into a 'spoons unless I was a bit peckish too - there are better/more comfortable pubs around here if I was just going for a similarly priced drink.

How much is a pint of the usual suspects in Blanch? In my old locals in D12 you're looking at €4.65 iirc and that was a couple of years ago. Looking at the menu posted a bit back for TGW, I can see a couple of IPAs for €3.50. They're both new and cheaper. That's a significant saving, after 4 pints you'd still have enough for a bag of food poisoning on the way home.

I'd be more inclined to go for a Ghost Ship or Doom Bar (always had a soft spot for it!) at €2.50 but they wouldn't really be a fair comparison to your preference for lager. . .although I'd still recommend you try one :D

I will agree that some of the other prices are a bit disappointing compared to initial expectations but such is the cost of doing business in Ireland.
    No bother, no brand snobbery here with me, if it does the same and works it does me (for all things)

Going for pints and food to get the full effect, good or bad lol

I am not sure, I drink more in Navan (herself lives there), was paying €5 for Heinlein in a club the other night, so I’d say €4.50 or so in a pub, as you said a significant saving over a few pints.

I’ll take not of the recommendations thanks.

As I said to someone why sell something for €2 something if other places can charge €4 something, go in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

Parents went down to try it out on Friday night, turned around and left before even setting foot inside the door. Full of very young crowd (possibly too young as someone else pointed out), someone vomiting outside by the fence and another person urinating against it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Was up there on thursday and it was jammed, seems everyone wants to try it. There was a longer wait than usual for food but thats to be understood.

its a tad more expensive than the blackrock or dun laoighre ones but its still the cheapest pub around. was mostly the after work / older crowd when I was there but a few younger people too (no underage people as was suggested earlier) Security were friendly and very on the ball.

Some staff were brought out from the other wetherspoons to guide the new staff through teething problems. Most of them were competent enough and there were a lot of them , id say that will be pared back in a few weeks when it gets quieter (had 2 very unpleasant girls serve me at points throughout my evening but I doubt they'll remain as time goes on) .

The decor is quite nice and I can't wait to see how the large fire fares when winter rolls around.

overall Id say its a great pub to have in blanch and Any reservations about service or clientele I would probably hold off on for another month or 2 , as with any new pub opening it brings all the ones barred from other pubs and unsuitable staff out of the woodwork.

Id say to anyone who walked away with any negatives, try it again in a month or 2 when the knackers have been barred, the staff have been adjusted and the initial rush has died down.

I myself will be back regularly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

also as just a quick guide to pint replacements for people used to diageo

heineken - staropramen
    guinness - revisionist stout (theres beamish too, but a lot of people aren't fans)
    bulmers - thatchers gold / stowford press

Id also highly recommend the adnams dry hopped lager for anyone who likes hops a bit more , but doesn't want a heavy IPA.

Went tonight
    • Staropramen was 50c dearer but stronger, Carlsberg on menu but tap wasn’t working, three taps upstairs had coming soon slates in front of them
    • Half an hour to get food from ordering, could have been hotter, portions could have been bigger, issue with steak not being cooked as requested (took a while to sort out/re cook, got free drink for it)
    • Was quieter when ordered deserts, so came out much quicker, €2.50 for loads of fruit and ice cream was excellent,€1.50 for kids portion of ice cream
    • Staff very friendly and helpful, as someone stated walking around with hot food trying to find who ordered the food
    • Talking to one barman and said the price increase is because it’s a bigger area with Finglas Corduff etc, yet another member of staff couldn’t believe it
    • Looks great, very open and full of glass so plenty of light coming in
    • Bouncer went up to a group and asked one of them for id
    • Most people casually dressed, a few in summer gear and a family came in from the Kilkenny game in shirts etc
    • Staff member came up and said top bar closes at ten and could we please go downstairs
    Will go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Talking to one barman and said the price increase is because it’s a bigger area with Finglas Corduff etc,

I'm confused with that reason. How does a bigger area justify more expensive prices? What am i missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

I'm confused with that reason. How does a bigger area justify more expensive prices? What am i missing?
    its a BS reason. My take is this.

They open 2 premises and have spent the last 6 months evaluating business. Both shops are very busy. They open the 3rd and have decided to up the prices now, take the hit in the form of a few complaints but know that'll pass, as they are still markedly cheaper than any alternative. Better upping the prices now, than waiting until they have 10+ shops where there would be a greater contingent complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Seems strange alright.

Lets see what the Swords prices are like when that opens soon as that would be similar size to Blanchardstown I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bigger area my foot. Its still a local pub, people arent going to get minbuses over from Finglas main street to a pub with no sport and music. Swords and Cork pricing will be interesting. Even in Dun Laoghaire I think the cheapest pint is now €2.50 when there used to be a sort of managers special at €1.95 early on in their tenure.

Also, Revisionist stout isnt a patch on Guinness and is not an alternative. The O'Hara's bottled stuff isnt too bad if you are a stout drinker and want something fuller of flavour.

One of the staff was saying they want like thirty places open, theres swords/cork and one in town to come, thats six already.

I think dodzy is right, but they should have done this back when the first pub found its feet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bigger area my foot. Its still a local pub, people arent going to get minbuses over from Finglas main street to a pub with no sport and music. Swords and Cork pricing will be interesting. Even in Dun Laoghaire I think the cheapest pint is now €2.50 when there used to be a sort of managers special at €1.95 early on in their tenure.

Also, Revisionist stout isnt a patch on Guinness and is not an alternative. The O'Hara's bottled stuff isnt too bad if you are a stout drinker and want something fuller of flavour.

Can't comment on Revisionist stout, but I personally (and many other stout drinkers I know) would rank Guinness pretty low on the overall scale, and O'Hara's definitely comes in higher for me (never mind not being "too bad"), and for most people I'd know too.

Back again

Great price breakfast, large with tea or coffee €7

Busy enough as well

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cython wrote: »
    I personally (and many other stout drinkers I know)
    Many stout drinkers are so incredibly biased they call themselves Guinness drinkers, and are comparing every stout to "the real thing". I expect many who say they hate Beamish may have only had 1 in their life, if at all.

I find it amusing to think all these "seasoned guinness drinkers" have probably only tried 2 or 3 other stouts in their life, and probably went into it with their mind made up that they would not like it. I would love to serve them guinness telling them its some other stout, just to see them baulk and say its muck.

They will go into a pub, ask for guinness and if there is none might switch to a lager or cider rather than another stout.

I think it was Beernut (homebrew moderator) and a group of fellow beer enthusiasts who did proper blind tastings between the main stouts in a pub and it came out fairly inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

cython wrote: »
    Can't comment on Revisionist stout, but I personally (and many other stout drinkers I know) would rank Guinness pretty low on the overall scale, and O'Hara's definitely comes in higher for me (never mind not being "too bad"), and for most people I'd know too.

Well i apologise for my unsophisticated palate, but I enjoy a good quality Guinness. I also enjoy other stouts and other beer varieties, but I found Revisionist to be thin and with a poor aftertaste. You obviously keep more homogenous company than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The name still bugs me, I really wish they called it the 'Great Scaldwood'

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

I was reading some reviews of the bar on trip advisor. Mostly poor/negative and reflecting the comments on here re running out of various drinks, long waits for food and poor customer service.

Interestingly the management for the Blanch Whetherspoons commented on each review so if you live locally and have some feedback it might be worth taking the time to post on Trip Advisor as they are reading it..

They have an awful lot of work to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's only a week open though, and the demand will be higher now than say a few weeks time when people are used to the novelty of a new pub so I wouldn't take too notice of reviews at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's only a week open though, and the demand will be higher now than say a few weeks time when people are used to the novelty of a new pub so I wouldn't take too notice of reviews at the moment.

Which is why I never try out a new place until it has time to bed down and sort out teething problems, better control and prediction of stock based on locals demands, the novelty crowds having died down and new staff get comfortable and experienced... or else get sacked if proven to be incompetent. Looking forward to a meal there in August! :)

I did drive past it in the dark last night and the interior through the glass areas from the split second I saw it looked impressive.

Girl came over today to ask was our food OK

Then herself went up to get a drink and the bar girl asked was everything OK

Still a issue with food could be hotter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

I wonder which other pubs and restaurants have fared worse from the opening of The great Wood.

I was in The Carpenter on Sat night. Very busy as usual.

Murt10 wrote: »
    I wonder which other pubs and restaurants have fared worse from the opening of The great Wood.

I was in The Carpenter on Sat night. Very busy as usual.

It will probably affect TGI and Captain Americas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

py2006 wrote: »
    It will probably affect TGI and Captain Americas

Tgi is incredibly overpriced imo.
    Captain America's has bad quality food for the price Imo.

amdublin wrote: »
    Tgi is incredibly overpriced imo.
    Captain America's has bad quality food for the price Imo.

Yea they are both overpriced alright but they are more easily accessible for people doing their shopping in the main centre. Wetherspoons is a bit of a trek by comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yea they are both overpriced alright but they are more easily accessible for people doing their shopping in the main centre. Wetherspoons is a bit of a trek by comparison.

Ah jaysis would you stop! Next you'll be saying you'd need to take the car to get to it :) from penneys.

I got off bus at dunnes side and walked across. It's nothing that can't be handled.

No way would I look at tgis amd go hmm it's really expensive but wetherspoons is so far away that I'd prefer pay more money for Tgi.

amdublin wrote: »
    Ah jaysis would you stop! Next you'll be saying you'd need to take the car to get to it :) from penneys.

I got off bus at dunnes side and walked across. It's nothing that can't be handled.

No way would I look at tgis amd go hmm it's really expensive but wetherspoons is so far away that I'd prefer pay more money for Tgi.

Haha yea, for young fit and healthy folk like us its easy peasy. I am thinking all ones pushing trollies around the centre wont be bother walking up there for the lunch. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Haha yea, for young fit and healthy folk like us its easy peasy. I am thinking all ones pushing trollies around the centre wont be bother walking up there for the lunch. lol

tbh, if I was doing a big supermarket shop with a trolley, the last thing I'd be thinking of doing after it would be heading off for pub grub and pints. It will be a destination in it's own right regardless of how near or far the centre is so I think the "distance" is a moot point. I would think it will get a lot of custom from shoppers who are not doing their weekly grocery shop but maybe leisure, gift or clothes shopping and cinema goers with a visit to Wetherspoons before or after.

• Advertisement

The taxi drivers might give it good business too with breakfast and lunches

Advertisement