Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the king of the promo? You decide! vote here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

http://youtu.be/2KX7iuxyjHc

I'm being biased here but this is definitely one of the best promos of all time. It's the Un-Edited version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Terry Funk

I've never consider Booker to be one of the great promo guys. Sure, he can talk, and is funny. But, still, not one of the top guys on the Mic.

Terry Funk was in another league. Softly spoken, yet could get his point across forcefully. Had the ability to stir a crowd with his words. Used some really inventive insults. And who can forget the "forever... Forever.." promo (one of his retirement speeches if I'm not mistaken)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Great thread MM. My first vote is for T Funk. One of the most unique and best deliveries ever. Although they are quite different I've always thought Stone Cold took a lot from the Funkers promos.

Agree with all the winners so far. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Never really took to Funker. Can see he has talent and promo skills but I got to vote Booker for this one.

Might sound incredibly racist but as somebody said on the WWE list on the network Booker T and Harlem Heat were prime examples of black guys doing what white guys do but making it 100x cooler. Booker is probably underrated as a guy on the mic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Funker takes it down 5 to 3.

Moving on....

Round One, Match Five:

Jerry "The King" Lawler:

One of the great trash talkers.

vs

Ric Flair:

Nothing needs to be said about this man on the mic.

Toughest call so far but gotta go for The King.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not voting yet but jaysus this is a tough one (though I dunno if the voting will show it). Newer fans may not know it and might think of Jerry as the Puppies guy at best or the guy who doesent fully know the product while commentating but at his peek he could certainly hold his own with literally anyone on any roster when on the mic. I wouldn't have been annoyed if he got to the last four for example but against Flair he could find it very difficult getting past the 1st round.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jerry Lawler for his ECW hating promos in Phillly. At a time where the curtain was being pulled back, he managed to still get nuclear heat from arguably the smartest fans around.

King was/is an absolute natural and could talk better than most. I think this round rests on the question of "just how good was Ric Flair?".

I have over heard it said that Flair has fought the same match his whole career. Could argue the same about his promos "To be the man......da da dada da" and "Stylin' Profilin'....etc.etc.etc".

But tbh thinking it out I could easily refute both these accusations. Flair's pure passion added so much fuel to all his legendary angles and feuds.

Shouty promo suck. Mainly because nine times out of ten they come across as extremely forced. Flair's were never like that. They weren't shouty promo they were "Ric Flair" Promos. Do any get me?

Lawler oozed mic talent but when I think wrestling promo- I instantly think Ric Flair.

FLAIR.

• Advertisement

Flair for me.

Hands down, for me, the best ever on the Mic.

Don't get me wrong, Lawler is great. Not in the same league as Ric though. Id often watch old Ric promos on YouTube for example. I wouldn't say the same for Jerry.

Flair for me.

Hands down, for me, the best ever on the Mic.

Don't get me wrong, Lawler is great. Not in the same league as Ric though. Id often watch old Ric promos on YouTube for example. I wouldn't say the same for Jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ric flair for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Naitch for me too, so many great promos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I'm saying Flair. Lawler might've been great back in the day but so was Flair. Difference is Flair has been great on the mic his entire career; Lawler has been please retire bad for most of the last 10 years whether it was his fault or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

It's just got to be Flair with all due respect to the King. Flair is one of the absolute greatest ever on the mic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That's a 6-2 win for the elbow dropping, stylin, profilin Nature Boy WOOOOOO!

Round One, Match Six:

JBL:

Not a great wrestler, but damn it Maggle he could cut one hell of a promo.

vs

Bray Wyatt:

Catching flies....Bray has his critics but the guy has undeniable charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Wyatt for me. Couldn't stand JBL and not because he was heel, just because he was annoying

Both really character based superstars. The rich capitalist and the creepy cult leader. I got money vs I'm gonna freak you out.

I enjoy both their work but for me it has to be a Wyatt. He completely encompasses his character and his promo can be utterly gripping and engaging. IMO he is the thinking mans Undertaker.

Wyatt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm surprised im making this pick and that he is now 3-0 up but it's Wyatt for me. I really enjoy a Wyatt promo although I really don't believe he has been given anything really good to work with yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This is a tough one I think since I think it's hard to judge Wyatt properly since he's been treated pretty poorly by creative imo. I do like his promos but we havent seen much of a range from him yet, and his promos can feel a bit pointless/interchangeable. Not a fan of JBL on commentary but I thought his smackdown promos were very good at the time, he really made you despise him, so he gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't have a clue what Wyatt is on about most of the time. They've dropped the ball something awful with him. He could/should be a top guy by now but he's not. JBL I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

JBL by default here. Wyatt has potential and I was a big fan early on but every feud is the same which means every promo is essentially the same meandering nonsense. Honestly over the last 6 to 12 months I reckon I've skipped about half of his promos and still haven't felt like I missed anything worthwhile. At least JBL was always entertaining and I loved his promos as Champion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

JBL. Perhaps it's more for the fact that while Wyatt started off promising, now most of the promos seem to be the same inane rambling rubbish.

I think the promo I'll best remember JBL for was the border patrol during his feud with Eddie. Sadly though, my estimation of Bradshaw has diminished the last while that he's been on commentary.

JBL

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Wyatt's delivery is beautiful. His pacing and cadences are all really good. He's able to elicit whatever reaction he wants from the audience, which to me is always a great sign of a guy who knows how to use the mic. The promo about his backwoods teacher is amazing.

Wyatt.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Never could take to JBL to be honest, asked me more than anything. Bray had been very good with the character so far, socially considering done of the stuff he been thrown.

Wyatt

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Both JBL and Bray Wyatt are rubbish, but I'll go for Bray Wyatt because his promos interested me at first. Now he just bores me and triggers my short term attention span.

After the days of the APA, JBL just bored me and I didn't care for the character. I had no interest in seeing him on my television; although, I stopped watching wrestling after Wrestlemania 2001 and didn't watch it again until 2005/06, but only sporadically.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ari gold24

JBL by default here. Wyatt has potential and I was a big fan early on but every feud is the same which means every promo is essentially the same meandering nonsense. Honestly over the last 6 to 12 months I reckon I've skipped about half of his promos and still haven't felt like I missed anything worthwhile. At least JBL was always entertaining and I loved his promos as Champion.

this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I just can't wait for this round to end, couldn't care much for either of them and I'm sure that I am not alone in saying that.

Advertisement