Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fallout 4

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Story wise they are unrelated. But NV did improve on a lot of things offered by F3 (naturally) so you might find F3 a bit clunky and backward in some aspects if you play them the opposite way around.

Either way though, playing them back to back will be a serious commitent of time. I would break them up with a couple of quick games so you don't get overdosed on nucelar winter.

Thanks man, NV it is so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi guys i have both Fallout 3 and New vegas only played a bit of both, ran into crash issues with Fallout and got fed up of it, then bought NV on steam sale last year.
    Im thinking of giving both a playthrough , should i play F3 before NV or does it matter?
    Doesn't matter. NV isn't a sequel to FO3. Obsidian did make some gameplay changes such as true ironsights in NV that can make FO3 a little frustrating if that kind of thing bothers you though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Get some mods as well, if you're playing it on the pc. Plenty of content mods, but you can skip those if it's the first time playing. Loads of small ones that improve the game massively though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Kiith wrote: »
    Get some mods as well, if you're playing it on the pc. Plenty of content mods, but you can skip those if it's the first time playing. Loads of small ones that improve the game massively though.
    Any recommendations, for either? I'm considering a playthrough of both at some stage before FO4 comes out presumably late 14,early 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Any recommendations, for either? I'm considering a playthrough of both at some stage before FO4 comes out presumably late 14,early 15.

I have some addition mods to FO:NV , no graphic additions though I'll post a picture of the list. I'd recommend Fallout Wanderers Edition if you want to play a bit hardcore with even more weapons than FOOK and the likes. I'd definitely go with Fellout and Electro city as base mods first for a puuuurty game. World of Pain adds a load of new enter-able buildings and dungeons with some sidequests and new items.FO mods.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Hey, I bought Skyrim Legendary edition during the Steam sale just passed and have had New Vegas GOTY for over a year and a half without playing more than 10mins.
    Have been playing both nonstop though after modding them. Check out guides on Youtube by a guy named 'Gopher'.
    He goes from the very basics of modding and what he recommends will improve your experience.

I found his stuff very handy and easy to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Fallout 3 will always be up there in my top 5 of all time. looking forward to this...if and when it sees the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Fallout 3 will always be up there in my top 5 of all time. looking forward to this...if and when it sees the light of day.

Same here, if only for the sheer 'What the f**k do I do now?' moment I experienced coming out of the Vault for the first time. I'd never experienced a game of that size before.

I'll see if i can get a list of the best (imo) mods in work today. Need to be careful using The Nexus though...lots of questionable material in there :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yeah, that pcgamer one pretty much has the main ones.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Now quit with the NV talk :D everytime i see a new post on this i get excited :(
    This is nothing. I've been subscribed to the Half Life 3 thread for about 5 years now, and still get my hopes up every bump :(

Kiith wrote: »
    This is nothing. I've been subscribed to the Half Life 3 thread for about 5 years now, and still get my hopes up every bump :(

Someone beat me to it :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I used to switch between Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I loved Fallout much, much more, but Lord jaysus, I needed a holiday somewhere sunny so I didn't let the perpetual grimness get to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ABy88gg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Go with 3 if you are going to play nv too. One minor issue with 3 was the areas get a bit samey so it would be hard to got to that after nv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

God damn Deathclaws. I don't think I stepped foot near a hive of those bastids in either Fallour 3 or NV. I may have killed one or two on their own, but never had the stones to take on more than one at a time or the alphas (or whatever you call them).

I don't necessarily hope that they make them easier to kill in the new game but I hope that the controls will be made a bit more fluid so that it's a more.... cohesive? Therefore giving you more of a chance against them! Hopefully some of you know what I mean! :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

God damn Deathclaws. I don't think I stepped foot near a hive of those bastids in either Fallour 3 or NV. I may have killed one or two on their own, but never had the stones to take on more than one at a time or the alphas (or whatever you call them).

I don't necessarily hope that they make them easier to kill in the new game but I hope that the controls will be made a bit more fluid so that it's a more.... cohesive? Therefore giving you more of a chance against them! Hopefully some of you know what I mean! :P

I went into that big building site Deathclaw nest when I was weak enough but not totally underpowered either. I died instantly more or less the first time but had saved it in an awkward spot that didn't make it easy to get away. About 2 hours later after being perched atop an old crane I had wiped them all out - killed the big mammy/daddy one with what must have been my last bullet.

Walking out of it smug as hell with a good job done when I was ambushed by a bandit and killed practically immediately since I had nothing.

Had forgotten to save again throughout. Back I went. And did it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

You mean they should increase your running away speed?

For 4 I just want to be able to build my own goddamn Liberty Prime and have him carry all my crap or train my own Supermutant Behemoth and ride around on his back shouting "Who run barter town!?"

Someone mentioned vehicles earlier on and I think they could work if they are extremely rare and are basically a bonus fast travel/loot hauler you have to build, improve, repair it yourself using your skills in true Mad Max fashion.
    You could have a car for fast travel in Fallout 2 and it had an excellent side quest where it randomly got stolen, I still remember returning back after some quest and going "Where the f**k is my car gone!?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

You mean they should increase your running away speed?

For 4 I just want to be able to build my own goddamn Liberty Prime and have him carry all my crap or train my own Supermutant Behemoth and ride around on his back shouting "Who run barter town!?"

Someone mentioned vehicles earlier on and I think they could work if they are extremely rare and are basically a bonus fast travel/loot hauler you have to build, improve, repair it yourself using your skills in true Mad Max fashion.
    You could have a car for fast travel in Fallout 2 and it had an excellent side quest where it randomly got stolen, I still remember returning back after some quest and going "Where the f**k is my car gone!?" :D
    Something like Gypsy Eyes Caravan for Skyrim but with the requisite mad max stylings and maybe a kickass questline to win control of it would be kind of awesome.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33219/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fallout 3 ultimate bundle is 20 euro on psn at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I haven't bought it yet. I'm in the mood for post-apocalypticness though so I've added it to my wish list. Might get it during the christmas sales if the opportunity presents itself.

I got a bootleg version of it years ago off a friend and have to say, found it really hard to get into. I got as far as nuke town, went to a nearby supermarket and the game just felt like it was wrong.
    It just felt broken. Not lacking in polish, just really unintuitive or something.

I take it everyone on here is a fan. Is it just worth persevering with? Is it generally difficult to get into but rewarding eventually? Or was I just playing it wrong?

It's got such a good reputation and I feel compelled to try it. I just want a feel for whether it's my kind of game or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Gbear wrote: »
    I haven't bought it yet. I'm in the mood for post-apocalypticness though so I've added it to my wish list. Might get it during the christmas sales if the opportunity presents itself.

I got a bootleg version of it years ago off a friend and have to say, found it really hard to get into. I got as far as nuke town, went to a nearby supermarket and the game just felt like it was wrong.
    It just felt broken. Not lacking in polish, just really unintuitive or something.

I take it everyone on here is a fan. Is it just worth persevering with? Is it generally difficult to get into but rewarding eventually? Or was I just playing it wrong?

It's got such a good reputation and I feel compelled to try it. I just want a feel for whether it's my kind of game or not.

I picked it up cheap a few years ago, and didn't know anything about it. I played it for about 3 hours and gave up. I just didn't get into it. I went back to it though a few weeks later to give it a second chance, and didn't stop playing it till about 45 hours later. Once I did finish it I went straight into NV.

Definitely one of my favourite games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just incase anyone hasn't seen this, it's a google doc made by some guys on reddit containing all the developments regarding the website thesurvivor2999.com. Very interesting stuff, this could be the most cryptic reveal of a game yet.

It's basically a transcript of communications as the nuclear winter occurs and shortly afterwards.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pJLwd0osKpnp6kEogWh6KAZZiM0Rh-odwWCDc3VEMVE/preview?pli=1&sle=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I sewar I just heard an air-raid siren here in D4!

Also, read a day or so ago that Bethesda are saying no new game announcements are forthcoming..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,836 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »

Strange, just heard it as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Also, read a day or so ago that Bethesda are saying no new game announcements are forthcoming..

Where did you read that? Disappointing if true, but I'm hoping your source misread the Twitter account of Pete Hines (spokesperson) who said they had nothing to announce/show at VGX next week, because they (Bethesda) wouldn't be there.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Strange, just heard it as well :)

Creepy!
    Where did you read that? Disappointing if true, but I'm hoping your source misread the Twitter account of Pete Hines (spokesperson) who said they had nothing to announce/show at VGX next week, because they (Bethesda) wouldn't be there.

Yup actually thats what I read (on cvg or IGN - can't remember which).

Here is hoping!

They must be getting ready for Santa!
    futurama-the-futurama-holiday-spectacular-03.jpg

I just read through the Google doc and it makes me think 4 is going to tie into the Harkness quest from 3 and that it was androids who attacked the Vault in Boston.

Don't know if its been mentioned here but Bethesda apparently were skulking around MIT in Boston a while back

Source here
    and here
    Setting:
    As well as this, Fallout 4 is speculated to take place in Boston or, in terms of Fallout lore, the Commonwealth. Bethesda was spotted scoping out MIT in Boston, leading to claims that the game will focus heavily on a similar university.

It's old news but ties in with the jumbled code and "The Institute" being attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

They must be getting ready for Santa!

I just read through the Google doc and it makes me think 4 is going to tie into the Harkness quest from 3 and that it was androids who attacked the Vault in Boston.

Probably, from what I remember the area around MIT survived and MIT became the institute which is part of the commonwealth (may be the HQ)

Bethesda were spotted mapping out the area and this now mentions Boston so I would be very surprised is the next game wasn't set there and went into the whole institute vs railroad thing.

simon360 wrote: »
    Don't know if its been mentioned here but Bethesda apparently were skulking around MIT in Boston a while back

Source here
    and here

It's old news but ties in with the jumbled code and "The Institute" being attacked.

Its in the 1st post :D

its what started this thread :p

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its in the 1st post :D

its what started this thread :p

My bad sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

So thesurvivor2299 website was a fake.. This is disappointing:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yet impressive all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

So thesurvivor2299 website was a fake.. This is disappointing:(

True. Fair play to the creator for putting together such a convincing hoax though. They're obviously a fan themselves, must have gotten bored waiting for the next game. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Jayd0g wrote: »
    True. Fair play to the creator for putting together such a convincing hoax though. They're obviously a fan themselves, must have gotten bored waiting for the next game. :)

Yeah fair dues. Even going into the detail of prepping the age verification check on the page's source. Thats commitment. The thing that annoys me most really is that douche from reddit who called it fake was right :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the thing that annoys me is no one at bethesda put out a PR saying 'it's not us'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

the thing that annoys me is no one at bethesda put out a PR saying 'it's not us'

More PR and hype about their games. I ended up playing FO3 again :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

y9gIQtW.jpg

Just a little but annoyed by Bethesda by not putting it down sooner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Timmyctc wrote: »
    More PR and hype about their games. I ended up playing FO3 again :P

i've got a few fallout 3 mods open in tabs and scratching my chin in contemplation

Thats a shame, I'd like to think Bethesda left it play out because they wanted to see what happens as much as us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The hoaxer posted an AMA on Reddit. Apparently he has had 14 death threats already, the whole thing cost him 990 dollars and he created a CGI trailer to release as well but Bethesda contacted him and were pretty pi$$ed. He said he will still release the traler at some point, just not yet. He wanted to try and force an official reveal from the devs but it didn't work.

Now, it's interesting why Bethesda left it go on so long and did their Fallout sale on PSN stem from taking advantage of this hoax?

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-hoaxer-just-wanted-to-watch-the-world-burn-1479362778?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Excellent work by the person in question anyway.

IU am not going to get too pissed off - I sincerely doubt the company is really angry either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Excellent work by the person in question anyway.

IU am not going to get too pissed off - I sincerely doubt the company is really angry either!

yeah me either, if anything it's shown how much interest there is in another fallout game, and generated a load of publicity for bethesda for the sake of one guys efforts and 990 dorrah :)

wouldn't surprise me if they offered him a job lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

sheehy83 wrote: »
    The hoaxer posted an AMA on Reddit. Apparently he has had 14 death threats already, [...]

And people wonder why gamers and their wider community have such an atrocious reputation and are regularly picked on? Only a minority of people of course, but still an unbelievable response over a game - or rather the faking of one. I hope the prankster passed the threats on to the police and they pursue these delinquents. Honestly, I was fairly po'ed to learn this was all just an elaborate hoax myself, but a little common sense was applied and I got on with my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

An impressive and elaborate hoax that got me playing Fallout 3 again :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well after all the kerfuffle with the hoax, Kotaku are reporting that a Fallout 4, set in Boston, is indeed in the works at Bethesda thanks to bunch of leaked documents sent to them:

http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well after all the kerfuffle with the hoax, Kotaku are reporting that a Fallout 4, set in Boston, is indeed in the works at Bethesda thanks to bunch of leaked documents sent to them:

http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956

Fool me once.... etc.

I'll wait to get my hopes up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

pixelburp wrote: »
    And people wonder why gamers and their wider community have such an atrocious reputation and are regularly picked on?
    This is far from a uniquely gaming problem. Writers, actors, essentially public sphere people *will get that* I'm sorry to say. You get anything or anyone with a big enough following you'll see to the same extent that people are fans, people will conversely be against them to the point of sending death threats. If it's any consolation and in an effort to minimize you losing all regard for humanity, know that these people are actually very very much the minority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement