Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dead Island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

discuss guys and gals.

cant wait for this although think its been pushed back again:mad:

hope it will be worth it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its gonna suck balls

the trailer had absolutely nothing to do with the game

at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I saw the trailer and thought that it was fantastically done. After that though, I haven't seen any screen shots, gameplay, or even a read up about what style of game it is. So I'm not hyped, but it's still early days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i know the two vids had v little to do with game but they looked fantastic also the gamestop crew have been talking this up for ages for some reason?? oh yeah sales duh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Helix wrote: »
    its gonna suck balls

the trailer had absolutely nothing to do with the game

at all

How exactly does that marketing decision tell you that the people who actually made the game did a bad job? As far as I'm aware there are no gameplay videos out yet, so you're basically getting stroppy over the stylistic choice made by the people in charge of the trailer.

There's a huge number of videos on youtube claiming to be gameplay but it's just screenshots. ****.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    How exactly does that marketing decision tell you that the people who actually made the game did a bad job? As far as I'm aware there are no gameplay videos out yet, so you're basically getting stroppy over the stylistic choice made by the people in charge of the trailer.

im basing it on talking to people whove played it, the history of the development team involved, and the fact that the pitch of the game is so dire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I think the key thing will be keeping the melee combat interesting. Maybe if it isn't too combat heavy and focusses more on surviving etc they'll get away with it. From what I've seen though there appears to be alot of skull-smashing which could get dull unless they add some form of variety to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Is there anything to indicate this game will be remotely good ?

(trailer is irrelevant)

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    Is there anything to indicate this game will be remotely good ?

(trailer is irrelevant)

absolutely nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I expect a large underground lab beneath the island run by some ominous figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

steve_ wrote: »
    I expect a large underground lab beneath the island run by some ominous figure.

Or an international corporation called rain coat or something to that effect.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm pretty sure there'll be zombies in it as well.

Has anybody been keeping up to date with this on their Facebook page? If not, you really should here!

Gametrailers has released some in-game footage and I have to say that it looks incredible. Most definitely going to be a purchase for me! You can watch the footage here

Just some stuff from the footage -

25-30 hours of gameplay
    Co-op mode

I also really like how each Zombie has different levels, so you know which ones to avoid, or that there's many different types of ones, so you really have to strategically decide which one you want to attack first.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to say, really liking how this is looking

Here is the vid on yootoob

This is actually looking like a mix of Borderlands, Fallout & Left 4 Dead. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Wow this looks unbelievable! I was a little worried that they were just showing cinematic sequences and trailers. I can definitely see myself walking through a jungle area with a machete getting nervous waiting for something to jump out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

4 player co-op! I wish I had friends! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

There something fundamentally wrong with killing zombies during the day.

I didn't enjoy LFD2 as much as i could have becasue of it. Nightime creates more tension.

• Advertisement

Ya definitely keep it to the night time but nice to have a change. Plus when the storm hits the island, it looks like it will be getting pretty dark and rainy = great atmosphere. Love the mission structure and ability to get into cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The splashy UI, glib achievements and one liners seem a world away from the dramatic, tense CGI trailer we saw all those months ago. From that video though, it looks like the game is going to be a mix of Far Cry 2 (what a waste of potential that game was) with Dead Rising. That's not a bad thing, but the game seems to be less "serious" than it originally suggested it might be, and more a gory actioner.

The later footage, when the storm hits, makes it look a lot darker so perhaps we could get a mix between gory action and darker themes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The later footage, when the storm hits, makes it look a lot darker so perhaps we could get a mix between gory action and darker themes.
    Well it looks a lot darker because there's less light in the sky ;) By darker I kinda meant that I'd hope perhaps the game would explore the drama, tension, and general hopelessness of a zombie plague, rather than the "woo zombies - let's attach C4 to my knife!!" mindset. I admit it's probably still too early to tell, but that video doesn't make me think Dead Island is going to be the "Dawn of the Dead" of videogames.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well it looks a lot darker because there's less light in the sky ;) By darker I kinda meant that I'd hope perhaps the game would explore the drama, tension, and general hopelessness of a zombie plague, rather than the "woo zombies - let's attach C4 to my knife!!" mindset. I admit it's probably still too early to tell, but that video doesn't make me think Dead Island is going to be the "Dawn of the Dead" of videogames.

It's probably best not to judge the game by the early stages seen in that footage. There probably are going to be themes as suggested in the earlier trailers - it is likely that the woman you're controlling is the same one from the trailers, though this is probably just sheer presumption on my part. Either way, it looks like it could be thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

looking very good, a defo purchase i feel

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I checked it and I love all, but one thing: that cod style xp pop ups while smashing stuff is annoying. It makes it way too arcadish.

So far everything else looks pretty solid. Love the body physics and the way combat goes.

Still no date on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Yeah just watched the video, I was not interested before but now I am, co-op is always fun, even if the game is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I wanted to take it seriously, but the main character wouldn't shut the hell up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Advertisement