Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Island

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 seriousbuns

wll hopefully they'll do something with it, something badass at that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I can somewhat understand his reluctance to watch it, especially if he might have a sick daughter the same age (he mentions he had to give his daughter shots while playing Dead Rising 2). I don't think any trailer has ever shown a child being killed either, or has there been one?

He has a real daughter but he's talking about how he had to give the girl in Dead Rising 2 shots to stop her turning into a zombie and having a real daughter made it bad.

9_4d607f2c4ced8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mrm

The anti gaming lobby, with their primary argument regarding the dangerous immersivity of games to the user, should have some use for Geoffs video if they are clever*.

* of course anti gaming people are not clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Can someone remind me again what happened at the beginning of Dawn of the Dead (2004) the movie? I remember the little zombie chick broke into Sarah Polley's house and ripped her boyfriends throat out but was she actually killed or did Polley climb out the window and leave her in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

gizmo wrote: »
    Can someone remind me again what happened at the beginning of Dawn of the Dead (2004) the movie? I remember the little zombie chick broke into Sarah Polley's house and ripped her boyfriends throat out but was she actually killed or did Polley climb out the window and leave her in there?

Dont think she was killed. Think she jumps on the husband & Polly escapes through door or window. Then you see both of them chasing after her as she drives car away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Its getting a bit eastendersy here on about childs death and that.I think it was meant for shock value to show Zombies are savages & heartless. Sadly like most edgey videogame ideas its about as subtle as a building landing on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Tbh i don't see any way that trailer could be perceived to encourage violence towards children. I doubt the final game will have children zombies which the player can attack.

I've seen more violence toward children in films than in that trailer.

Of course im sure we'll have some idiot anti-games lobbyist criticise the game because "it encourages people to kill children" even though he's never seen the trailer or played the game and only heard about it from someone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tbh i don't see any way that trailer could be perceived by reasonable people to encourage violence towards children. I doubt the final game will have children zombies which the player can attack.

Fixed your post for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kiith wrote: »
    Fixed your post for you.

Yep... I'm expecting the Daily Mail to latch on to this sometime next week (they're not exactly the quickest, in more ways than one...)

Such a fantastic trailer... One of the few times I've just sat there in stunned silence for a few seconds at the end then pressed play again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

wont somebody think of the virtual zombie children!!

this pc **** is getting out of hand at this stage

can't wait for this game if the trailer is anything to go by

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Is it just me or does the music sound very similar to Michael Giacchino's work on LOST?

Excellent trailer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Liber8or wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the music sound very similar to Michael Giacchino's work on LOST?

Excellent trailer though.

I thought the same when i first heard it. It's a a different composer though. It's still a great piece of music anyway and works very well with the trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It felt similar to Halo's 'Deliver Hope' in style and audio. Decent trailer. Have been following this game for ages, it was announced what...about 5 years ago almost at this stage? I had assumed it had been cancelled...very excited to see it's close to release. Must have for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Now, I've only seen the announcement trailer. No gameplay pics, or vids, or info, or anything. But that trailer is an amazing piece of work. Very disturbing and emotional. I really think it's the ultimate "F*ck you" to those who still believe that video games are not a form of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I really think it's the ultimate "F*ck you" to those who still believe that video games are not a form of art.
    or CGI anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Bah, either way. I'm sure you see what I'm getting at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Toboscus Literal Trailer, brilliant as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

deathrider wrote: »
    Now, I've only seen the announcement trailer. No gameplay pics, or vids, or info, or anything. But that trailer is an amazing piece of work. Very disturbing and emotional. I really think it's the ultimate "F*ck you" to those who still believe that video games are not a form of art.

Unfortunately it's just a trailer and may end up disappointing people when the final game doesn't come close to the emotions portrayed in it.
    Looks like a very melee focused Left for Dead.

Some screenshots:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqzUJLUpKfk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

deathrider wrote: »

To be honest, it's the last thing I'd point to if I was discussing games as art, and that's a topic I'm quite interested in and have written about at length in the past.

The video is well put together alright, but it's well put together cheesiness of the highest order. Slow motion and reverse time don't cover up, for me anyway, the fact that it's all just a bit silly. The use of the child to elicit an emotional response is cheap as well. There's no subtely or intelligence, it's as perfect a piece of marketing as there will ever be, but art? Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

To be honest, it's the last thing I'd point to if I was discussing games as art, and that's a topic I'm quite interested in and have written about at length in the past.

The video is well put together alright, but it's well put together cheesiness of the highest order. Slow motion and reverse time don't cover up, for me anyway, the fact that it's all just a bit silly. The use of the child to elicit an emotional response is cheap as well. There's no subtely or intelligence, it's as perfect a piece of marketing as there will ever be, but art? Not even close.

The definition of art is very opinion based tho. I personally have no time for picasso or any of that mordern art.. but i know alot of people have a hardon for it. If this trailer draws out alot of emotion for someone then ofc it would be considered art... for them.
    Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way to affect the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, sculpture, and paintings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Magill wrote: »
    The definition of art is very opinion based tho. I personally have no time for picasso or any of that mordern art.. but i know alot of people have a hardon for it. If this trailer draws out alot of emotion for someone then ofc it would be considered art... for them.

Yeah that's very true, but I'm thinking of games as art in the same sense as movies or music which are considered art in critical terms. In the most simple way possible, art is that which makes us think about ourselves and the world around us. In that way, this trailer is no better than a dodgy movie that preys on an emotional response, rather than an intellectual one. I don't think the definition you posted fully explains it, people cry at awful chick flicks, no one would ever call them art, but it's certainly an emotional response. For me, it has to be more than that.

I'm not saying your own view of art is wrong, it's hugely subjective and I can completely see why a lot of people are put off by the elitism that surrounds what is considered art. The problem is that games mostly go for that easy emotional response, and while you may consider it art, and I'm sure you're not alone in that at all, the people who discuss entertainment in artisitc terms will never see it that way and so games are left out in the cold.

In saying that, the zombie genre has certainly thrown up some wonderfully intelligent pieces of social commentary in Romero's first two movies, and zombies are often used as a way to look at people, the Walking Dead comics and 28 Days Later did that, so no reason Dead Island can't. On the trailer though, in my opinion, for what that's worth, all I see is a finely made piece of marketing that seeks the easy emotional response that a dying child elicits, rather than offering anything of real depth. As I said though, it's all subjective and I'm sure you could read into it however you want and I wouldn't argue too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unfortunately it's just a trailer and may end up disappointing people when the final game doesn't come close to the emotions portrayed in it.
    Looks like a very melee focused Left for Dead.

Some screenshots:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqzUJLUpKfk

most of those screens are about 5 years old, the 'newest' ones in that link are almost 3 years old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Some more recent screenshots;
    http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=6607

I don't think anybody here is expecting the gameplay itself to have the same kind of impact as this trailer, but we can still hope that the same kind of care is paid to the cut-scenes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ScoreX

cant wait to play this...hope it ends up being as good as the trailer

Jesus, this looks gruesome!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jesus, this looks awesome!

FYP :p

Kiith wrote: »
    FYP :p

Oh gruesome in an awesome way. The skin effects look spectacular - I really hope there's going to be flame throwers just so I can set shit on fire!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

great looking trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PredaToRxReCoN

that looks amazing :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

This does look really good, interresting trailer too.

Advertisement