Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Grudaire wrote: »
    Fianna Fail are struggling to evolve past the old guard. Names like Haughey, Hannigan etc keep cropping up.

No surprise there, seeing as they still have a leader who was one of Haughey’s protege's.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Keepan Eye

What will happen to Labour, Anti Auterity and the Independent Communist TD's etc......lets face it. They are made up of TD's all from wealthy backgrounds. Playing at Politics but if they fail have cushey jobs to fall back on. No credibility as they are seen as being born with silver spoons in their mouths.They didnt do anything for the Lower sections during their reign. They attacked people on S.W. Water charged us to bits. The Lower socio economic groups don't vote and if they did wouldnt vote for this 'Labour' sector. SOME middle class types who are just maverick will vote for them but sure thats madness as the Labour types want to tax them harshly . So the Voting class is middle and upper class.[ and pensioners- a lot of them ]. Sinn Féin have lost credibility too. They stand with labour and AAA and are fast becoming outdated in the six counties. They broke the bond with the Old Irish Republican ideal as they now are seen to subscribe to the so called 'Liberal as long as you agree with me" LABOUR" type policies. FG may lose out as the Liberal Wing seems to rule the roost and the conservative voter and farmer who was their main supporter has become dis affected with FG Liberal policy. So FF may not be out of the running in making inroads, if as a previous writer said they can 'put Order on the trouble makers'. So its anybodys guess but FF AND FG may be the next gov. God spare us from the head bangers in all parties I suppose is all I can say. I'm part Brit so may try for citizenship there ......no smart remarks please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think Enda may have underestimated Paddy

There is a lot of people out there waiting to vote them out.
    Only problem is, where is the alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    There is a lot of people out there waiting to vote them out.
    Only problem is, where is the alternative?

Oh I agree, We are long overdue a change. The only complete alternative would be back to Fianna Fail and a mixture of independents. I cant see IBEC and the banks being pleased with Sinn Fein, being in government as wither the junior or senior partner. Which is kind of what we were trying to get away from. So out of the frying pan into the fire and down unto the lazer grid.

Who ever will come in will be unsatisfactory and it will be the 1980's all over again with short term governments for a few years.

Conservatives who voted NO in the 34th gay rights amendment tend to be the people who always Vote as they feel its their moral duty. So with 700,000 NO VOTERS left out in the cold by almost all Politicians, if I were running I'd be -a] Hoping the Irish Independent or Irish Times or RTE wouldnt be dredging it up and b] hoping the 700,000 definite conservative NO voters will forget their betrays by the Political classes of all shades. There are a lot of conservative votes going ' a beggin'...........................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Keepan Eye wrote: »
    Conservatives who voted NO in the 34th gay rights amendment tend to be the people who always Vote as they feel its their moral duty. So with 700,000 NO VOTERS left out in the cold by almost all Politicians, if I were running I'd be -a] Hoping the Irish Independent or Irish Times or RTE wouldnt be dredging it up and b] hoping the 700,000 definite conservative NO voters will forget their betrays by the Political classes of all shades. There are a lot of conservative votes going ' a beggin'...........................

the no votes were counted they just didn't outnumber the yes votes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

These people will still vote.

But, assuming that the 700k 'no' voters are not some homogeneous hive mind.... they will I'm sure vote on issues relative to the general election.

Most adults are capable of holding multiple opinions & don't live/die based on what the icky gays get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Most adults are capable of holding multiple opinions & don't live/die based on what the icky gays get up to.

What's the Pre-Vatican II Catholic Lunacy party called these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What's the Pre-Vatican II Catholic Lunacy party called these days?

Renua

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

Renua

Haha you beat me to it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Have they released yet what date the general election will be on?

fin12 wrote: »

No date released yet.

eire4 wrote: »
    No date released yet.

ok thanks:):)

heard several, immediately after the budget, after marriage equality ...... You dont want a winter or spring election (bad weather and empty bellies) so I am guessing after the 1916 commerations.

22 of April as soon as the weather picks up. would be my guess. Try to keep the college kids from voting and an older more conservative vote to keep Sinn Fein out.

*(These are my thoughts not party preferance I believe what ever party gets in will do what ever Dennis O Brien/banks/petroleum tells them to do)

heard several, immediately after the budget, after marriage equality ...... You dont want a winter or spring election (bad weather and empty bellies) so I am guessing after the 1916 commerations.

22 of April as soon as the weather picks up. would be my guess. Try to keep the college kids from voting and an older more conservative vote to keep Sinn Fein out.

*(These are my thoughts not party preferance I believe what ever party gets in will do what ever Dennis O Brien/banks/petroleum tells them to do)

I heard someone saying that they thought the government might want to have it before the 1916 commemorations because if the leave it after or around that time there might be a big increase in people voting for Sinn Fein, does anyone think that will happen?

Does anyone think that there will be an increase in votes of Sinn Fein because of the 1916 commemorations?

I heard someone saying that they thought the government might want to have it before the 1916 commemorations because if the leave it after or around that time there might be a big increase in people voting for Sinn Fein, does anyone think that will happen?

Does anyone think that there will be an increase in votes of Sinn Fein because of the 1916 commemorations?

I would never call an election in that weather. Cold windy and wet between Patricks weekend and Easter? not a chance. It actually does affect voters perspective.

Might give Sinn Fein an edge but that will be dampened by another scandal that is garunteed to appear. Plus Sinn Fein have to address their own leadership issues.

I would never call an election in that weather. Cold windy and wet between Patricks weekend and Easter? not a chance. It actually does affect voters perspective.

Might give Sinn Fein an edge but that will be dampened by another scandal that is garunteed to appear. Plus Sinn Fein have to address their own leadership issues.

Would the weather really effect people not voting?

It actually says on Wikipedia that the next Irish general election must take place no later than the 8th April 2016.

It actually says on Wikipedia that the next Irish general election must take place no later than the 8th April 2016.

That is why the Government should have called it before Christmas. Because from January to Easter it is all down hill. Last two weeks of January, Biting March, fodder shortage, bit of flooding. (I know I am a barrel of laughs). When you have a full belly, the price of a pint, crop set, exams passed and plenty of over time..... you have a completely differnt out look on life. At the previous general Election however Moses couldnt hold back the deluge that was about to come to the previous sitting government.

Do they usually hold the general elections on a Friday? because any time Iv'e voted it always seems to be on a Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do they usually hold the general elections on a Friday? because any time Iv'e voted it always seems to be on a Friday?

No the days vary, but its often later in the week I.e. Thursday or Friday.

In my life time there has never been a Saturday GE even though a Saturday is the date based on the report in the OP of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No the days vary, but its often later in the week I.e. Thursday or Friday.

In my life time there has never been a Saturday GE even though a Saturday is the date based on the report in the OP of this thread.
    Teachers' unions wouldn't like that. No day off?

Seriously though, didn't they do Saturday voting for one of the Referendums and found that turnout was just as bad, if not worse? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

In any case, one issue with Saturday votes is that some people and interest groups will have a bit of a whinge about the count being held on a Sunday. Holy Joes and the like complaining that the poor counters won't be able to participate in the zombie flesh-eating ritual.
    Also, you'd have to pay those in the count centres double time for Sunday working.

Or you could not count on Sunday at all, which means a day's delay in getting the count, and also a day where boxes are sitting unopened, leaving a greater potential for fraud.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Many (most?) countries have a voting day - elections are always held on the same day of the week, whether by tradition or by statute. We should do something similar, if only to avoid the endless bickering about how whatever day it is held is the wrong one.

seamus wrote: »

Seriously though, didn't they do Saturday voting for one of the Referendums and found that turnout was just as bad, if not worse? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

In any case, one issue with Saturday votes is that some people and interest groups will have a bit of a whinge about the count being held on a Sunday. Holy Joes and the like complaining that the poor counters won't be able to participate in the zombie flesh-eating ritual.
    Also, you'd have to pay those in the count centres double time for Sunday working.

Or you could not count on Sunday at all, which means a day's delay in getting the count, and also a day where boxes are sitting unopened, leaving a greater potential for fraud.

Id love to get a job in one of those counting centres, is it just the returning officer that employs staff in the counting centre as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

seamus wrote: »

it was the court of appeal and seanad abolition referendums https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Ireland
    so the amount of interest wasn't high

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Many (most?) countries have a voting day - elections are always held on the same day of the week, whether by tradition or by statute. We should do something similar, if only to avoid the endless bickering about how whatever day it is held is the wrong one.

Would be a good idea and maybe make the day a national holiday as well so as to make it easier for people to vote.

Too true, not to mention the Irish Independent, Irish Times, Irish Radio and TV Talkin'heads and XFactor facebook generation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

What will happen to Labour, Anti Auterity and the Independent Communist TD's etc......lets face it. They are made up of TD's all from wealthy backgrounds. Playing at Politics but if they fail have cushey jobs to fall back on. No credibility as they are seen as being born with silver spoons in their mouths.They didnt do anything for the Lower sections during their reign. They attacked people on S.W. Water charged us to bits. The Lower socio economic groups don't vote and if they did wouldnt vote for this 'Labour' sector. SOME middle class types who are just maverick will vote for them but sure thats madness as the Labour types want to tax them harshly . So the Voting class is middle and upper class.[ and pensioners- a lot of them ]. Sinn Féin have lost credibility too. They stand with labour and AAA and are fast becoming outdated in the six counties. They broke the bond with the Old Irish Republican ideal as they now are seen to subscribe to the so called 'Liberal as long as you agree with me" LABOUR" type policies. FG may lose out as the Liberal Wing seems to rule the roost and the conservative voter and farmer who was their main supporter has become dis affected with FG Liberal policy. So FF may not be out of the running in making inroads, if as a previous writer said they can 'put Order on the trouble makers'. So its anybodys guess but FF AND FG may be the next gov. God spare us from the head bangers in all parties I suppose is all I can say. I'm part Brit so may try for citizenship there ......no smart remarks please.

Could you use paragraphs, pls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

What?

The Electoral Act 1992 requires that the Dáil be dissolved within five years after its first meeting following the previous election, which was on 9 March 2011. Section 96 requires that the poll is held, not earlier than the seventeenth day or later than the twenty-fifth day, following the day on which the writs for the election are issued.

With these restrictions, the Dáil must be dissolved no later than Tuesday 9 March 2016, and the next general election must take place no later than Friday 8 April 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

sozbox wrote: »
    What?

The Electoral Act 1992 requires that the Dáil be dissolved within five years after its first meeting following the previous election, which was on 9 March 2011. Section 96 requires that the poll is held, not earlier than the seventeenth day or later than the twenty-fifth day, following the day on which the writs for the election are issued.

With these restrictions, the Dáil must be dissolved no later than Tuesday 9 March 2016, and the next general election must take place no later than Friday 8 April 2016.

You have to take ST Patrick's day out of the 25 so its the 9th of April that is the last day.

Advertisement