Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

If Dublin Bus ticket machines weren't so archaic, much of the retail/on-street stuff wouldn't be needed because online top-ups and ticket sales would be far more viable.

The NFC mobile app that NTA are looking to develop will also help but unfortunately that looks to be about two years off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I got a verification code for auto top-up a couple of weeks ago but it is 18 characters and the max it will let me enter online is 16 :(:confused::confused: I have emailed customer service 3 times with no reply - any ideas or anyone else experiencing this error/issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I got a verification code for auto top-up a couple of weeks ago but it is 18 characters and the max it will let me enter online is 16 :(:confused::confused: I have emailed customer service 3 times with no reply - any ideas or anyone else experiencing this error/issue?

try 1st 16 or last 16 numbers;) worth a shot

Thanks punisher - I did - no luck :(

I wouldn't mind but after emailing them twice with no reply, I got an automated "you haven't entered your verification code in 14 days" email :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Quick Question

Can i put a 30 day Luas ticket on a leap card to do i need to buy a paper one ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I put over 4 euro in coins into a Luas ticket machine the other day and then realised the minimum Leap top-up is €5 :mad: why is that? There's no reason for a minimum top up at a ticket machine.

If someone has a negative balance on their card, and has enough coins to make it a positive balance then there's no reason not to let them top up and travel. As it stands unless they can make the minimum €5 top up or the cash fare then they can't travel, even though Leap are holding most of the €5 deposit they paid when they got their card...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The idea is to get people to use cashiers and ticket machines less. If people could top-up by less than €5, they would essentially be doing the same thing as paying cash for tickets, but travelling at Leap Card prices.

If you want a Leap Card price, you have to follow their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 daireman

Hi,

I have a student leap card and my girlfriend has the regular one.

We took a bus and she pressed her card against the scanner and it beeped once but when I did it, it beeped twice. Any idea why?

Thanks.

Daire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 daireman

To tell the driver you are using a reduced fare leap card.

Thank you for your reply.
    Why does that matter to the driver?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

daireman wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.
    Why does that matter to the driver?

If it beeps twice then he/she might need to check and see that it's not an adult using a childrens card or something similar.

If it beeps once then it doesn't matter who used it, he/she doesn't have to look at the user, they've paid as much as they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I thought using the Leap card means that I pay less than if paying cash for journeys on bus, tram, and train. Seems to work on the tram and bus (don't use the Dart often enough to know if there's a difference) but when I used it on the 747 to Dublin Airport I was deducted €6. Was a bit annoyed as I would have bought a return for €10 instead, if I'd known.

Anyone know why this is? Is it just the 747 where the Leap card pays the full price, or other routes too?

The 747 is a premium route that is operated on a commercial basis and doesn't attract a public service subsidy. note that Aircoach and most other independents don't accept Leap Card at all and you would have to pay full fare there.

That said, it would be useful if there was a discount to half the return fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If you had loaded a Dublin Bus rambler ticket onto our card it would include the travel on the Airlink 747.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The 747 single or return fare is not a subsidised fare - it is a commercial fare, all other single fares on the network are PSO fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

devnull wrote: »
    The 747 single or return fare is not a subsidised fare - it is a commercial fare, all other single fares on the network are PSO fares.

Is it covered as part of a Leap monthly ticket?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Is it covered as part of a Leap monthly ticket?
    There is no "Leap monthly ticket", there is a Dublin Bus monthly ticket that can be loaded on a Leap Card. Subtle, but material difference. The Dublin Bus ticket includes Airlink.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/
    Travelwide Adult Monthly €123.00
    * Valid for unlimited travel for 1 calendar month
    * Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    * CIE photo ID required

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

I checked my balance earlier and my card needed to be topped up. However it appears from the online top-up facility that the credit isn't added to my account immediately and there's a wait of several hours before it is. It also appeared that I'd have to go to a ticket agent to have the credit actually applied to the card. Is this correct or am I missing something obvious?

Straylight wrote: »
    I checked my balance earlier and my card needed to be topped up. However it appears from the online top-up facility that the credit isn't added to my account immediately and there's a wait of several hours before it is. It also appeared that I'd have to go to a ticket agent to have the credit actually applied to the card. Is this correct or am I missing something obvious?

It can take time to update.

Yes you need to go to a payzone agent to physically load the credit onto the card.

The best way to topup is to sign up to auto topup - this requires a direct debit from your bank account but tops the card up automatically.

Otherwise just go to a payzone agent and do it there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

lxflyer wrote: »
    It can take time to update.

Yes you need to go to a payzone agent to physically load the credit onto the card.

The best way to topup is to sign up to auto topup - this requires a direct debit from your bank account but tops the card up automatically.

Otherwise just go to a payzone agent and do it there and then.

Thanks lxflyer. I have an annual train ticket on my card and apart from the train I only use it very occasionally for the odd LUAS or bus journey, so I'd rather not bother with the auto top up and leave money sitting on the card for ages. It seems incredible that they require people to go to a physical agent to load the card after paying for the credit, and that the top-up isn't instant. The whole point of wanting to top it up online was because it wasn't convenient for me to go to an agent at the time so I ended up just paying cash on the bus in the end. While the cards are great and very convenient, this really sounds like something they should address.

There's no other way to get it physically onto the card - it needs to touch a live terminal.

Exactly the same with oyster in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

There's no other way to get it physically onto the card - it needs to touch a live terminal.

Exactly the same with oyster in London.

Don't see why the terminal on the bus can't be live, my phone is 'live'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

cc wrote: »
    Don't see why the terminal on the bus can't be live, my phone is 'live'

"Live" is a bit of a misnomer. They aren't. They just need to have enough memory to receive the list of active topups ordered. The memory on Dublin Bus validators and ticket machines isn't enough to do so.

I keep getting this error message when I log in and try to read my card history and balance???
    "Sorry for the inconvenience, Application faced unexpected problems connecting to back office system"

Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Leap has officially been live in Galway since 28 September.

We've had several reports (including my own) in the Galway City Leap card thread of drivers who apparently haven't had any Leap training and so don't know how to use the machines, and just wave passengers through instead. To the point where I still have not seen any confirmation of exactly how much a single-trip on Bus Éireann costs!

Did this happen at implementation in Dublin? How long did things take to settle down?

Leap has officially been live in Galway since 28 September.

We've had several reports (including my own) in the Galway City Leap card thread of drivers who apparently haven't had any Leap training and so don't know how to use the machines, and just wave passengers through instead. To the point where I still have not seen any confirmation of exactly how much a single-trip on Bus Éireann costs!

Did this happen at implementation in Dublin? How long did things take to settle down?

A single trip using LEAP is at a discount of 16% on the cash fare, be that in Galway, Cork or in the eastern region.So if the cash fare is €1.90 (as it is on Galway city services), then the LEAP fare is €1.60.

And yes, unbelievably, there were plenty of reported instances at the outset in both the Eastern region and Cork of drivers just waving passengers through. It is quite ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

It's only in the last couple of months that things seem to be settling down (things live since the start of October last year).

There are still some issues though, have had a few problems when buses had the old style machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A single trip using LEAP is at a discount of 16% on the cash fare, be that in Galway, Cork or in the eastern region.So if the cash fare is €1.90 (as it is on Galway city services), then the LEAP fare is €1.60.

Strictly speaking, 16% of 1.90 is a smidgen more than 30 cents, so
    a)the fare should be less than 1.60 ( 1.59 or include a fractional cent part)
    or b)
    the fare is a smidgen less than 16% reduced on the cash fare.

However for TfI or BÉ to not explicitly state the fare is a sign of poor customer service either way.

• Advertisement

Strictly speaking, 16% of 1.90 is a smidgen more than 30 cents, so
    a)the fare should be less than 1.60 ( 1.59 or include a fractional cent part)
    or b)
    the fare is a smidgen less than 16% reduced on the cash fare.

However for TfI or BÉ to not explicitly state the fare is a sign of poor customer service either way.

Right so - do you really go around in life worrying about fractions of a cent?

If you do, I'd suggest you have a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement