Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod request post#5808

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I was gonna pop into the Arsenal thread and congratulate them on Ozil, but between some of them targeting Suarez in January, and the others spitting bile at Liverpool thanks to Paulegend, I'll leave them to it.

I think Everton are stronger than they were yesterday. I think Fellaini has a LOT on his shoulders at United. Newcastle and West Brom look bunched. I fancy Hull to stay up.

Can't wait to see Borini getting a few starts under the new Sunderland 'regime' and hope he's enjoying his last bit of ketchup and ice tonight.

But more importantly, I think we're in much better shape to make it to January still knocking around the top of the table. Good fixture list and a belief running through the squad, I'm happier than I was a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

you speak the truth my friend. Big name transfers can fail. Veron didn't pull up too many trees at Utd. Crespo ditto chelsea. Kaka. etc etc

However.....lol.....Mesut Ozil being a MASSIVE success at Arsenal is the football equivalent of Ireland being shafted by the IMF. Certain to happen! He's too good, too suited to their style, to fail.

Also thought it was mildly LOL that Utd fans broke boards last night. In an accidental Denial of Service attack, posting so much. Had a little chuckle, sums up their lack of creative options in midfield!!

i agree ive said it a hundred times i think he is a class signing. id have him here in a heartbeat but we couldnt afford nor attract a player like that just yet. if they can afford to even buy one world class player a year they will be unstoppable in a couple of years. i think if he can hit the ground running they will be title contenders this year. hopefully he will be out injured or something in our game:D

im purely saying that there will be pressure on him to succeed. most world class players can handle pressure and im sure he will. he seems to play with the fast tempo in his style anyway so im sure he'll do great. but we could easily be sitting here this time next year saying that we should go in for him because he only had a bad season as he was played out of position or there was too much pressure on him or any number of reasons. but thats all speculative

lol indeed at the utd fans though. i do think fellani will be a great signing aswell though to be fair. he will certainly fill the hole in the center but it doesnt sort out the giggs factor. unless moyes is going to start playing kagawa then they still have alot of work to do

Grayditch wrote: »
    I was gonna pop into the Arsenal thread and congratulate them on Ozil, but between some of them targeting Suarez in January, and the others spitting bile at Liverpool thanks to Paulegend, I'll leave them to it.

I think Everton are stronger than they were yesterday. I think Fellaini has a LOT on his shoulders at United. Newcastle and West Brom look bunched. I fancy Hull to stay up.

Can't wait to see Borini getting a few starts under the new Sunderland 'regime' and hope he's enjoying his last bit of ketchup and ice tonight.

But more importantly, I think we're in much better shape to make it to January still knocking around the top of the table. Good fixture list and a belief running through the squad, I'm happier than I was a month ago.

oh will you please do one. jesus whats with the love in around here. do yopu really think they would be congratulating us on any signings?

someone said to them that they think they overpaid on him a little but he is a great signing. next they got f#cking defensive and started getting snotty saying that "42 million for one of the best players bla bla bla". jesus you think thats a result of me?? kop on mate

"Kop on". Very good. Do you use that in other threads, too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Dickerty wrote: »
    You know you spelt 3 of those 8 players wrong. This is not a good start when trying to get people on board with your arguments.

Also, if this is about Ozil, keep it in the Arsenal thread please.

Spelling mistakes....dick!

This is why I hate this thread. No come back from a valid point and you resort to grammar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

If Johnson is out for long I guess Toure will be our new right back

If Sturridge's injury gets much worse I guess Toure will be our new striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm a bit conflicted on Borini's loan to Sunderland. On the one hand, slumming it in a relegation battle could do the world of good for him.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no time for Di Canio, and going by his antics post match on Saturday he could end up completely ruining the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lifted from the old thread
    Sept 1st 2012
    Sept 2nd 2013
    Jones
    Jones
    Reina (loan)
    Mignolet

Johnson
    Johnson
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Enrique
    Enrique
    Robinson(Loan)
    Cissokho
    Agger
    Agger
    Carragher
    Toure
    Skrtel
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Coates
    Ilori (in effect)

Lucas
    Lucas
    Gerrard
    Gerrard
    Hendo
    Hendo
    Shelvey
    Alberto
    Allen
    Allen
    Şahin

Ibe
    Sterling
    Sterling
    Assaidi
    Moses
    Downing
    Aspas
    Suso (loan)
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Suarez
    Suarez

I know which I prefer.

What's interesting is that we already associate Rodgers with playing the ball high up the pitch looking to press and attack, yet at a glance you'd probably be forgiven if you thought that the team was built more to defend and counter punch.

This is why I hate this thread. No come back from a valid point and you resort to grammar!

Spelling and grammar are different things.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm a bit conflicted on Borini's loan to Sunderland. On the one hand, slumming it in a relegation battle could do the world of good for him.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no time for Di Canio, and going by his antics post match on Saturday he could end up completely ruining the player.

I don't think Borini will ever play another game for Liverpool, so I wouldn't worry about it much either way.

"Kop on". Very good. Do you use that in other threads, too?

now i will:D

im just sayinf ffs stop this whole linch mob aproach crap. everytime someone says something you dont agree with doesnt mean there has to be this ritual explosion. you dont have to agree with me and i dont have to agree with you. but as far as im concerned i havent said anything wrong and to be honest i cant get my head around the fact that someone can think what i said is less than factual and purely opinion based.

plus im not going to correct the way you phrase your post as i dont care when people make little grammer mistakes

Cartman78 wrote: »

we all dream of a team of Toures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Anyone else reckon 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 could become a popular formation for Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

OHNOYOUDIINTMICHELLEOBAMA_zps2f665f72.jpg

Ha ha. Good man. That was no accident.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't think Borini will ever play another game for Liverpool, so I wouldn't worry about it much either way.

I wouldn't be so sure, he is a "Rodgers Guy" after all. If he steps up to the plate for Sunderland I'm sure Rodgers will happily take him back.

slingerz wrote: »
    Anyone else reckon 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 could become a popular formation for Liverpool?

the fact that we now have

skrtel, agger, toure, sakho, ilori, kelly and coates(long term injury) who can all play center back

we have glen, enrique, cisokho, flanno who can all play wing back

plus rodgers has tinkered with the formation before. i think it will be an option used in certain games. maybe against swansea after the break for example. they have pace on tehir wings and are playign at home therefore they will try to attack us at every chance. but with 3 center backs we are covered against 3 strikers/wingers and the wing backs provide cover while also give us width going forward

Mignolet
    ----Toure---Agger---Sakho
    Glen
    Enrique
    Gerrard---Lucas
    Coutinho
    Moses
    Sturridge

the only problem is that when suarez is back in the fold that formation would leave someone out of the team. maybe lucas but that would leave our defense exposed?

I'm thankful Rodgers hasnt persisted with him. He obviously can't come out and say "I've signed a player who isn't working out".

Borini is still quite rated in Italy, surely. If his international form is good next summer, we should try get a few quid for him.

I wouldn't be so sure, he is a "Rodgers Guy" after all. If he steps up to the plate for Sunderland I'm sure Rodgers will happily take him back.

Sure. ;)

I think it's a bad situation he's going into right now. They've had a poor window overall and you'd wonder about Altidore (one of my fav players mind), O' Shea and others - i.e. they are depending on players who may not be up to producing a good Premiership season. The manager being mad as a bag of spiders doesn't exactly help either.

well i think of it like the moses deal. alot of people where giving out that we dont have an option to buy if he does well. but if borini gets game time and does well we could have a decent striker coming back next summer. if he can provide 15 goals a season he would be more than good enough to come back

if he doesnt get the goals then hopefully he impresses in other ways so we can get a bid for him next year

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Cartman78 wrote: »

I hope we haven't dropped the ball by not having cover in the striker department. We have been caught out like this before.....

Rodgers signed him after working with him at Chelsea and Swansea. If he isn't a Rodgers guy, why spend so much money on him?

I like the idea of loaning him to a Lower team in the premier league. It's a whole season and it will be a great judge whether he will be a success in the league.

In saying that, I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Who do you think pushed the Borini deal? Did Rodgers want him to go and play more, did he want to go himself when he knew Moses was coming in? I'd worry about Aspas being a regular scorer if anything happened Sturridge. Then again, Suarez is to come back.

It's a strange one, he's a 'Rodgers guy', but now I'm not sure if Rodgers sees him as part of his long-term plans or not.

I hope we haven't dropped the ball by not having cover in the striker department. We have been caught out like this before.....

we only have 2 games to go to get suarez back playing. swansea and southampton. he will be ready for united on the 25th

if sturridge can hold out and try to play a bit part in those games(if he isnt fully fit) then we should be fine. just have moses and sterling up front with aspas to tire out the defence before bringing on Dani to score

If everyone's fit:

Mignolet (Jones)

Johnson (Kelly) ----Toure (Skrtel)
    Sakho (Agger)
    Enrique (Cissokho)

Lucas (Allen)

Gerrard (Henderson)

Sturridge (Ibe)
    Coutinho (Alberto)
    Moses (Sterling)

Suarez (Aspas)

Hendo and Agger lose out, but someone has to. I wouldn't be worrying too much about the positioning of the four attackers because I'd expect they'll switch with each other regularly.

- Defensive depth is now very good but Ilori, Coates, Wisdom and Kelly are now in bad situations development wise;
    - Central midfield depth is poor. An injury to Lucas would be awful. Hopefully Gerrard keeps fit;
    - The starting four is actually very good. A genuine strength. What's behind is untested though;

Focus on the league games, don't chance a selection like we did against Notts County in the cups and pray we run good with injuries and suspensions and maybe we might be in the conversation for fourth.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Who do you think pushed the Borini deal? Did Rodgers want him to go and play more, did he want to go himself when he knew Moses was coming in?

It's a strange one, he's a 'Rodgers guy', but now I'm not sure if Rodgers sees him as part of his long-term plans or not.

its a great move though. he gets first team premiershp football for the season and comes back to us with more experience. otherwise he plays behind Suarez sturridge aspas moses and even sterling in the pecking order. at least he has a chance to prove himself.

next season when we have more games due to being in europe we will need a bigger squad so if he impresses he will have no problem getting back into the squad

Does anyone else think LFC should have went for a loan offer for Ba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You are missing the point, androol. If I read it and he doesn't even know to spell the players names, or what punctuation is, I find it hard to take any arguement he makes seriously.

As it happens, I still didn't agree...

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Who do you think pushed the Borini deal? Did Rodgers want him to go and play more, did he want to go himself when he knew Moses was coming in? I'd worry about Aspas being a regular scorer if anything happened Sturridge. Then again, Suarez is to come back.

Don't think Borini would be any better on that front to be fair!!

I think if Rodgers had any major time for Borini he would have kept him and looked to offload Sterling on loan. Sterling, Ibe and Alberto will make appearances. There was game time available and it has been decided not to keep Borini for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

No

• Advertisement

That's a thin midfield alright. I'd like us to get a creative midfielder and a defensive one in January. Then we've a solid squad, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

We're a lot better off than before in being able to cover the striker position. Sturridge, Suarez, Moses and Aspas can all fill in as the number nine role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Not in a million. Too similar to Sturridge, so would only play is Dan was out. Also high wages and injury prone, and not known for his good attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Dont think Chelsea would have been interested in giving us Ba ..Loan/buy .
    Overall we did pretty good this window .

IK09 wrote: »
    No

I'd say Chelsea blocked our number after we tried for Mata on loan after going top with goals from their ex striker and getting Moses off them.

I wanted Ba before we got Sturridge. I'm not disappointed.

Not in a million. Too similar to Sturridge, so would only play is Dan was out. Also high wages and injury prone, and not known for his good attitude.

What if Sturudge gets injured?

If everyone's fit:

Mignolet (Jones)

Johnson (Kelly) ----Toure (Skrtel)
    Sakho (Agger)
    Enrique (Cissokho)

Lucas (Allen)

Gerrard (Henderson)

Sturridge (Ibe)
    Coutinho (Alberto)
    Moses (Sterling)

Suarez (Aspas)

Hendo and Agger lose out, but someone has to. I wouldn't be worrying too much about the positioning of the four attackers because I'd expect they'll switch with each other regularly.

- Defensive depth is now very good but Ilori, Coates, Wisdom and Kelly are now in bad situations development wise;
    - Central midfield depth is poor. An injury to Lucas would be awful. Hopefully Gerrard keeps fit;
    - The starting four is actually very good. A genuine strength. What's behind is untested though;

Focus on the league games, don't chance a selection like we did against Notts County in the cups and pray we run good with injuries and suspensions and maybe we might be in the conversation for fourth.

if lucas does suffer i think toure will step in. at least we will have cover for toure in defence aswell. i wonder where brendan will use ilori though. i do think he will be a squad player for now but im interested to see will he take advantage of the pace by maybe using him as a wing back?? or will he bide his time for a center back role

at least we can field a second string side for the cup games now(the team you mentioned)

Jones
    Kelly---Skrtel---Agger---Cisokho
    Hendo---Allen
    Alberto
    Ibe
    Sterling
    Aspas

id be more than happy with them playing the cup games. even throw ilori in at the back somewhere instead of anyone injured(cisokho)

but suarez will obviously play our next cup game as he needs match practice and his been rested enough:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't think Borini would be any better on that front to be fair!!

I think if Rodgers had any major time for Borini he would have kept him and looked to offload Sterling on loan. Sterling, Ibe and Alberto will make appearances. There was game time available and it has been decided not to keep Borini for it.

Based on their last goalscoring season pre-Liverpool, I'd be more confident in Aspas than Borini.

I sincerely doubt we will take Borini back - I'd say his days are numbered at Liverpool.

Offloading Sterling would be the wrong call imo. - he has shown, albeit fleetingly, that he can be effective at this level. I have serious doubts that Alberto is even a top 10 premiership player (whataver that means!).

The sooner Aspas breaks his duck the better.

• Advertisement

You are missing the point, androol. If I read it and he doesn't even know to spell the players names, or what punctuation is, I find it hard to take any arguement he makes seriously.

As it happens, I still didn't agree...

dont you mean "doesnt know HOW to spell peoples names"??

dont you mean ARGUMENT???

why do you find it hard to take what im saying seriously because i misspelled a couple of names that are difficult to spell??

stop being a d###

you dont agree with what im saying and you have nothing to base your disagreement on therefore you pick on the spelling

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

OK lets score up the transfer window out of 10.

for me its a 7

Could have gone either way in the end but a good mix of experience and youth.
    We we will need more than one of the 'prospect' signings to play out of their skin for us to break into the top4.

I do not think the top4 is any closer than when we finished last season, and the reason's are a mix of internal and external factors - us still being a team that's learning, new and building, plus the fact that those around us battling for those CL spots have also strengthened considerably.

Its critical that Jan window should not be seen as a 'top up' but as an integral part of our rebuild and I hoping the scouts are out working today with that in mind, and funds available to reflect the managers desire...no more begging via the media.

summary:
    could have been worse - could have been better.

That's a thin midfield alright. I'd like us to get a creative midfielder and a defensive one in January. Then we've a solid squad, I think.

i think we are ok with att mids but we could do with a defensive mid and maybe a striker in january

if we are there or thereabouts in january maybe we could convince mash to come back if his game time gets less. plus try to bring in a striker that can challenge for a first team spot. id like us to try get someone that will force Dani to be benched. nothing against sturridge because he is amazing so far but we need to be signing better players than what we have. not players that will be back up. use the current players as back up. force gerrard out of the team. thats what we need competition for places. thats what happened reina he never had competition

Sure. ;)

I think it's a bad situation he's going into right now. They've had a poor window overall and you'd wonder about Altidore (one of my fav players mind), O' Shea and others - i.e. they are depending on players who may not be up to producing a good Premiership season. The manager being mad as a bag of spiders doesn't exactly help either.

I'm not sure what is supposed to mean? Being at a club in a relegation battle brings its own monumental pressure. So just because Borini is making a "step down", that doesn't mean things are going to get any easier for him.

As for Di Canio, he'll be gone by Christmas IMO.

As an aside, all this stuff about dropping Agger, not for me I'm afraid. I'm actually taken aback at how willing some people are to cast a man aside who has been a model of professionalism, loyalty and class on and off the pitch.

noodler wrote: »
    Based on their last goalscoring season pre-Liverpool, I'd be more confident in Aspas than Borini.

I sincerely doubt we will take Borini back - I'd say his days are numbered at Liverpool.

Offloading Sterling would be the wrong call imo. - he has shown, albeit fleetingly, that he can be effective at this level. I have serious doubts that Alberto is even a top 10 premiership player (whataver that means!).

I don't mean ditch him long term, but he looks a player that could do with a loan spell at a lower level to me. It's been a long time since he turned in those few promising displays at the start of last season.

It may be a case of the club wanting to keep him close due to his colourful personal issues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

noodler wrote: »

Have hopes for Alberto , hes young , needs time , time will tell .

Aspas should get as much game time as possible in cup runs too , get him some confidence and a goal or two .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I notice a lot of the proposed line-ups have Suarez leading the line and Sturridge stuck out on the wing :confused:

Given the impact Sturridge is having and the confidence obviously flowing through him in his current role, would it not make more sense to leave him there and have Suarez floating about in the final third pulling the strings, creating havoc etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Paulegend wrote: »
    if lucas does suffer i think toure will step in. at least we will have cover for toure in defence aswell. i wonder where brendan will use ilori though. i do think he will be a squad player for now but im interested to see will he take advantage of the pace by maybe using him as a wing back?? or will he bide his time for a center back role

at least we can field a second string side for the cup games now(the team you mentioned)

Jones
    Kelly---Skrtel---Agger---Cisokho
    Hendo---Allen
    Alberto
    Ibe
    Sterling
    Aspas

id be more than happy with them playing the cup games. even throw ilori in at the back somewhere instead of anyone injured(cisokho)

but suarez will obviously play our next cup game as he needs match practice and his been rested enough:rolleyes:

Well our next cup game will require a full strength starting XI if we want to get anything out of it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

What if Sturudge gets injured?

Either Moses or Suarez go up top, or even Aspas

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I do not think the top4 is any closer than when we finished last season,

Do you mean that you don't think we have a better chance at top four this season than we did last, or that we havent improved on our form or squad that we finished with at the end of last season?

I have to say I think we are a lot more decent looking than this time last year and I think we're even a little better than what we were second half of last season.

Top 4 would take serious graft from the squad we have now to keep up the top of the table til January, but some rough fixtures for us in the second half of the season, means we need Jan signings .

I'm not sure what is supposed to mean? Being at a club in a relegation battle brings its own monumental pressure. So just because Borini is making a "step down", that doesn't mean things are going to get any easier for him.

As for Di Canio, he'll be gone by Christmas IMO..

It means I think he'll struggle at Sunderland.
    As an aside, all this stuff about dropping Agger, not for me I'm afraid. I'm actually taken aback at how willing some people are to cast a man aside who has been a model of professionalism, loyalty and class on and off the pitch.

Reina

Kelly
    Kyrgiakos---Agger
    Aurelio

Spearing---Lucas

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Downing

Babel

This could be your starting 11 for our next match if that was your sole criteria for squad building. Agger wouldn't be the first player cast aside on considerations of ability alone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement