Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford City Council to vote on public drinking bye-laws

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nicolaed

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your insightful contribution...
    It does nobody any harm .
    21252103.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Hoffmans wrote: »
    dunno what that parade thing was all about, clowns dressed as the undertaker pouring water over the crowd,some child and its buggy got soaked just beside us ,the clown was lucky he kept running say he was a canditate for a conamara, the acrid smoke topped it all of pure weird
    I thought it was the story of Spraoi, where the black clouds rain on the parade.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The drinking ban wasn't very well enforced judging by the amount of cans I saw at the plaza for the Fireworks. The place was littered with them and there were loads of Guards about.

I still don't see why, on a family event, people feel the need to have a few sensible and plenty more who will have a few non sensible drinks on the street. There wont be just a small few that will spoil it and even if there was - its that small few that will start fights, shout obscenities, and be a general nuisance. I'm sure plenty of parents don't want to bring their children into that environment. I'm sure the Guards would prefer not to have to deal with drunken fools all night long.

Sproai is a family event. Its for families and adults, but it shouldn't be all about drinking. If you want drinks, pop into the pub for a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was at the Plaza throughout the weekend drinking some cans with friends and several Gardai walked straight past and said nothing. Then again, we were just sat down in a small group and were unlikely to cause trouble. Many of the pubs in the area were supplying plastic containers to take outside as were off licenses. I don't see any harm in people having a few responsible drinks outside while enjoying the fantastic entertainment. I was relieved that the Gardai seemed to be adopting a common-sense attitude to the new laws over the weekend.

Your wording above implies that it was the majority of people that were drinking non-sensibly. I have to disagree completely with you. I saw no trouble over the weekend that could be attributed to people drinking in the streets and it wasn't as if I was walking around with rose-tinted glasses on me or staying in the one spot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    Your wording above implies that it was the majority of people that were drinking non-sensibly. I have to disagree completely with you. I saw no trouble over the weekend that could be attributed to people drinking in the streets and it wasn't as if I was walking around with rose-tinted glasses on me or staying in the one spot.

Are you saying that to me? I stated very clearly that it was the "small few" that would. Not did. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I thought there was a by-law that allowed drinking at certain events?

I thought there was a by-law that allowed drinking at certain events?

Not a by-law, just a request can be made to the Gardai for an exemption. It seems it was applied here but they used their discretion which they would be entitled to do anyway.

I think the law was designed to target the student population anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

The reason it wasn't enforced for spraoi is because it doesn't come into effect until the 10th of August!

paul-2008 wrote: »
    The reason it wasn't enforced for spraoi is because it doesn't come into effect until the 10th of August!

Now that's a real D'Oh moment!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

paul-2008 wrote: »

Interesting. I was only going on what was said to the lads on the Plaza on Friday evening. That was the only time over the weekend I saw the Gardaí stopping people drinking.

Kind of on topic, did anyone witness any trouble over the weekend? We passed a fair old scrap on Michael Street on Sunday night on the way from the fireworks to Shortt's. Looked like two or three lads and a couple of girls getting involved too. Pretty sure one of the girls got a slap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Interesting. I was only going on what was said to the lads on the Plaza on Friday evening. That was the only time over the weekend I saw the Gardaí stopping people drinking.

Kind of on topic, did anyone witness any trouble over the weekend? We passed a fair old scrap on Michael Street on Sunday night on the way from the fireworks to Shortt's. Looked like two or three lads and a couple of girls getting involved too. Pretty sure one of the girls got a slap.
    One of me mates dropped a few of the lads down to the front lounge I think it was. What's that , about 3 minutes in town?
    Said he seen a woman getting 3 smacks off a fella, a few cream crackers fighting amongst themselves and a few lads hopping on 2 chaps I think it was.
    Friend would be nervous about jumping in when he sees a fella hitting a woman as he was almost stabbed ages ago by defending some random woman . Other night he said he just bipped the horn in the car and that seemed to get attention to the woman getting slaps.

Guess it wasn't that peaceful after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bye-Laws in full swing on Ballybricken anyway........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Bye-Laws in full swing on Ballybricken anyway........

It's about time too, nothing worse than seeing a gang of them settling in for he day up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nypd wrote: »
    It's about time too, nothing worse than seeing a gang of them settling in for he day up there.

Slight bit of sarcasm in my post :pac:

• Advertisement

A decade later and sensible bye-laws remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Go and get a mass said for yourself. All over continental Europe parents drink in front of their kids (sometimes every night of the week having wine with their dinner). It doesn't mean the kids will end up problem drinking. Get a grip.

Completely agree! There should be no mystery to alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Oh so you're able to see into every home in continental Europe all at once and form an opinion based on this? I've lived in Europe and the French do have a binge drinking culture as I've witnessed it first hand having lived there as do the Germans having lived there, Germans can drink beer from the age of 16. You're spouting generic responses like the buses run on time in Germany, guess what!!! They don't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lets leave this 12 year old thread die

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement