Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightcrawler - Jake Gyllenhaal

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I like the poster:

3xbX1N9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Oh it's not an X men movie, I am disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I thought it was pretty good. Your man plays the part brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Seen it last night, it was ok. Jake played it really well but wasn't overwhelmed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Came to see if there was a thread already - for my money, contender for film of the year!!

In a nutshell: it's Walter White as a paparazzo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a lack of films out there willing to put a truly repulsive character front and centre. It's what disappointed me a bit about Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise's character was interesting at first as a selfish asshole - a rarity in action films - but that dissipated as he followed a more traditional 'hero' trajectory.

That's what makes Nightcrawler refreshing. Lou is a horrible person, allergic to empathy. Gyllenhaal delivers a deliciously scuzzy performance here, and the film makes no concessions in terms of getting the audience on his side.

The film is a lot of fun. The whole thing is painted in broad strokes - even the satire - but it works well. The camera soaks in nighttime LA with a nice mix of grit and style. It doesn't overdose on the 80s influence like other recent 'retro' obsessed thrillers do, and is a film happy to indulge modern influences as much as older ones.

There are some very funny moments and the film rarely forgets to be playful, although there's blackly comic potential here that Gilroy didn't wholly take advantage of. And the ending... There was a clear climax and a thematically appropriate ellipsis, but at the same time it felt very sudden in the way it played out. Can't really explain it, other than there was something a bit jarring about the epilogue.

Overall, though, it's refreshing to see a film that dispenses with the misconception that we need a likeable protagonist, and in Nightcrawler it's satisfying following Lou Bloom down his rabbit hole of abandoned morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

There's a lack of films out there willing to put a truly repulsive character front and centre.

I was trying to think of the right word to describe him, and repulsive is perfect!

Went to see this last night, found it a little slow at first but really enjoyed it overall. Thought Gyllenhaal was great in it, he looked so creepy at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

His eyes were open so wide, and he never seemed to blink :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I watched it last night and it was exactly my type of film.love movies centred on weird outcasts! Gyllenhaal plays the role excellently,his character is the very definition of a psychopath in it. Some very tense scenes in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

One of the best films of the year for me. I actually struggle to think of a thing that I didn't like about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm hoping Jake scores an Oscar nomination, truly deserving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I've been looking forward to this one for a while which usually results in disappointment but this really lived up to expectations. JG was fantastic as were his supporting cast and as a few people have said already here, it was nice to see a film that doesn't feel it needs a likeable lead character.
    The only annoying thing for me was I've seen the trailer a good few times and I felt it gave away too much of the plot.
    That said, still a solid 8 or maybe 9 out of 10. One of the best flicks this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

I've been looking forward to this one for a while which usually results in disappointment but this really lived up to expectations. JG was fantastic as were his supporting cast and as a few people have said already here, it was nice to see a film that doesn't feel it needs a likeable lead character.
    The only annoying thing for me was I've seen the trailer a good few times and I felt it gave away too much of the plot.
    That said, still a solid 8 or maybe 9 out of 10. One of the best flicks this year.

Brilliant film. Gyllenhaal is one of my favourite actors and he was excellent throughout the whole movie. Will surely get nominated for an Oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I enjoyed this too. Gyllenhaal was great, but I think Riz Ahmed as the sidekick was really good. I know his character was more of a foil for the main character, but the actor played it really well. He was very effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Great film loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Saw it last night,it's very much Gyllenhaal's film, he's in almost every scene and his performance is mesmerising, he brings an air of tension each time he is on screen, starting with his cringe-worthy attempts to procure a job and later, as you realize what he is capable of, you believe he will do anything as he feels no empathy.

Granted I did think the execution of the running theme that the media lacks morals was a bit heavyhanded. Ultimately Gyllenhaal, with his total lack of morals and hatred of people is the embodiment of a mass media not interested in facts or news, only ratings, via fear mongering, and creating an environment of reckless hate.

I have to say though that I thought it veered very close, almost to the point of mimicking Christian Bale's take on Patrick Bateman. Speech, expressions, Gyllenhaal even somewhat resembled Bale in American Psycho. I must admit to finding it a bit distracting.

Overall though I really enjoyed it, the kind of movie that will leave you thinking band talking about it for quite some time after the credits roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fantastic film, up there for the year 100%. Tremendous lead performance, plays the sociopath scumbag to perfection. The film never backs away, no give. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Excellent movie and great acting from jake and riz. Couldn't get the thoughts of Rob Lowe's character from parks and rec out of my head when Lou spoke though! ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Great Film. Jake will be in the running for best actor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Saw it today and loved it, Gyllenhaal was brilliant in it, in a weird and wonderful way.
    Nice movie to finish out 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I didn't know Dan Gilroy (writer and director) is married to Rene Russo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A lot of people walking out of the cinema said it was crap. Not well received it seems.

I thought it was great, very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A lot of people walking out of the cinema said it was crap. Not well received it seems.

I thought it was great, very very good.

Those people were idiots then. Fantastic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Watched it on Sat night. It was fantastic. I though Gyllenhaal was superb as the lead role & those eyes were very fcuking creepy :). There was some very funny one liners between him and Riz Ahmed (Rick).
    Well worth a watch & highly recommended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Went in to this a little skeptical (Gilroy wrote Two for the Money and The Bourne Legacy, and a first-time director here) but really enjoyed it. Gyllenhaal is great here as an unlikeable walking self-help book, and Elswit makes it look fantastic. I felt the only thing lacking was the score, Howard is prolific but rarely creates something memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,146 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fantastic advert for the Dodge Charger. Best car advert since the W12 A8 Audi in Transporter 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Saw this on Saturday night. It's really unsettling but in a good way... if that makes any sense?

Despite the nature of the story and Gyllenhall's sleazy, scumbag character, I couldn't help but root for him at times.

Excellent film all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Anyone know the song when he goes into the couple's house and takes a pic of their fridge and bills? Pretty sure it's the same song used in the trailer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 fayvirtue

i can't wait to see this one - Jake is one of my favorite actors !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Heading to the cinema tonight and will see either this or 71. Which one would people recommend?

Advertisement