Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a solid kick in the arse (somewhere to start)

Options
  • 23-05-2014 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Long story short,

I was never tremendously fit but had played football all throughout my childhood, did the rigorous twice-weekly training with a match on the Sunday and also did some martial arts for a period.

Not to make excuses, but essentially the commute to and from college ruined the routine that I had been used to and ended up throwing my hat at everything fitness oriented. I'm now 24, have finished college but have picked up a few nasty habits, namely social smoking and not even trying to eat healthily most days.

Again, I was never buff but I was toned and I could always more than hold my own in a bit of 5-a-side. Now, as my dad would say, there's more meat on a butcher's apron, bar the bit of a gut that I have.

I need to start somewhere and get the whole thing right, activity, sleep, diet, the works. I just have no idea where to start. I seem to thrive off routine but the kind of job that I have means it can be hard to commit to classes etc.

Any sort of advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

First thing to do is sort out your eating. Have a really good read of the Nutrition 101 sticky. It's a mine of information.

Your 'diet' is most important but given that you've played a lot of sport, there's something you'll enjoy that you can do reasonably regularly without having to commit.

But it has to be something you enjoy or you'll never have the motivation to make it as routine as your job allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Could you maybe start exercising before work? Ive a mad hectic life too, working full time and degree at night which makes any classses in the evening virtually impossible. I have started getting up a half an hour/hour earlier and getting my running/weights/dvd in before work. You're set up for the day and you dont have to worry about it the rest of the time.

The stickies are really good for nutritional advice, but you also have to look at what your goals are. For example if you were looking to gain muscle and mass you would have an entirely different diet to someone who is looking to lose a few stones? Do you wanna get fitter/stronger or both?

There is literally a wealth of info on the internet. http://www.fitnessblender.com/ is a really good website for free workouts. :) Hope that helps! best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'm about 5'9, 11 stone or so, really skinny arms and probably need to increase my strength and fitness. Before work is a good shout indeed actually. Been having a good trawl through the advice on here alright, very comprehensive.

Do you have any interest in going to the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Do you have any interest in going to the gym?
    It's quite convenient for me to, as a matter of fact. I've never really enjoyed it all that much but I'm getting to the stage where I think I need to just bite the bullet, a kick on the arse as I said! Again though, I'd be so at sea, I'd literally need a routine mapped out for me.

• Advertisement

If you do try the gym, your best bet would be to try either Stronglifts or Starting Strength.

Both are tried and trusted programs for beginners that literally map out what you should be doing at every workout for 12 weeks or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Plan your meals (or at least two of them a day)

Start off saying, I will eat a healthy breakfast, then lunch and go from there

Alot of it is just habits.

Also pick a workout you enjoy, Stronglifts as above is good as you can see the progression each week in terms of higher lifts. I started last year but slipped a disc (not doing Strong Lifts :)) and do miss doing it

Advertisement