Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly/Annoying Injuries

Options
  • 19-02-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Last night i was making a bit of food. Some lovely soup, nice brown bread and some garlic bread to go with it. Lovely.

Anyways, the soup was done and poured into bowls and i was busy cutting the garlic bread into easy to deal with pieces when suddenly the knife i was using broke at the handle. It was one of those ****ty plastic handled things. Anyways, it broke as i was applying a decent bit of pressure to it, so my hand continued it's downward trends and my knuckles slapped off the still rather hot cooker ring. The most annoying thing was a small bit of plastic got stuck between one of my knuckles and the ring, which was hot enough to melt it pretty quickly, neatly fusing it to my knuckle.

So now i have one nicely blistered knuckle and another with a big whole in it from the plastic. It's not even that sore, just annoying whenever i put my hand in my pocket or put on or take off a jumper etc.

Anyone else with any silly injuries that end up being just a little bit annoying?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dragan wrote: »
    just annoying whenever i put my hand in my pocket

That doesnt happen too often in fairness.You should be fine.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I hate when you get paper cuts! Ugh that is so small and just a stingy and a bitch. Annoyance at the highest!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Dragan wrote: »
    Some love soup,

Eeeew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I managed to cut my ear with a razor once while shaving. Big slice across it. Everyone asked me about it hoping it'd be something exciting like I was in a knife fight with the Sharks or Jets over our turf. "I missed my face while shaving" didn't quite get the same reaction.

Shaving while hungover is stupid.

I should just grow a beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I woke up the other morning with no memory of how I got home, and with half my thumbnail ripped off. The PAIN!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Using an industrial steam cleaner in the hotel where I used to work.
    The lance was made up of a few sections that (of course) leaked steam.
    So I was using it to scrub the floors when the two sections I was holding came apart and sprayed lovely hot steam onto my hand.
    That was a burn and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

My grill at home is a bit on the small side and every time I try to do something in it I always burn my bloody fingers off the top of the grill, almost without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Banging the funnybone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Ive burnt myself off the steam from the kettle, across my knuckles. I had a big red triangle on the top of my hand for ages.

Ive also burnt myself off the grill, more big red bars across my hand.

Ive pulled my neck. By turning my head.

I stamped on a nail once,mistakenly thinking it would bend.I wasnt wearing my steel toes like i thought and it went up through the sole of my runner and into my heel.
    I was hopping like a lobotomised frog for over a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Banging the funnybone.

Always hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Opened a front door DIRECTLY into my (shoeless foot having) big toe.. had a limp for a few days and a massive chunk of toe nail missing.. which kept continually bleeding every few days, when something touched or brushed off it.. had to stop training for a week and walking was not fun at all, or chaning socks, or shoes. anything really involving feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not really an injury, but in my workplace, I get static electric shocks all day. Especially on door handles. Think it's the horrible, industrial style carpet we have.

And for the men in the audience - let us never forget (even if it's been years since it happened to you) - getting your mickey caught in yer fly.. *shudder*

"How'd he get the beans above the frank?" /something about mary ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    cut my ear with a razor once ...
    Shaving while hungover is stupid.

The same thing happened to me if you swap out shaving with working in a Butcher shop, and cutting my ear with slicing the top of my finger of on the Bacon machine.

Old Mrs O'Sullivan was not impressed when i told her i wouldn't charge for the extra bit in with her rashers,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Always hilarious.

Humerus in fact.

Standing on a plug is always a killer. Also I was swinging on my chair watching TV in the kitchen. The chair was leaned against the dresser, I got up to get a drink, the chair must of gone off course, I sat back down and was leaning on the chair back to the dresser, but I missed it and fell face first on the floor. I'll still lean though.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Humerus in fact.

Standing on a plug is always a killer.

only happened to me when I got up to take a slash in the middle of the night last week. Or when I was younger - a piece of lego in the bare foot is sore as hell too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm constantly sticking my hands to the grill. Keep forgetting to put oven gloves on. Stood on a nail in my bear feet while drunk. Didnt notice until i walked into the kitchen and stuck to the tiles. Had to go to hosp for an injection in my bum :(

I'm always doing clumsy things like these. My ex's mother used to call me oopsadaisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

In on the parents bed one morning when I was about 5 and dad threw a teddy at me. As I moved to catch it I fell backwards off the bed, smacked my head off the radiator and split it open. Have a flat part at the back of my head and scar still. That was fun.

Few months later in a friends garden at a swing set. He, for some reason, decided to swing the see-saw from one end while I was standing in front. The metal seat caught my eye socket causing a lovely gash that pumped blood making me look like something from a horror movie. Still have the scar.

Around the same age and 'looking' at my granny's old sowing machine the huge needle somehow managed to go in one side of my finger under the nail and stick out the far side. Have no memory of how this happened tbh. Just the image of it sticking in my finger.

Crawling under metal railings to get into grounds of a factory in conker season and scraped my back off the underside of the railing. Still have a small scar on my spine.

Playing with a toy car and smashing the windows in using a dart (as you do) and eventually stuck the dart through my finger.

Never managed to break anything though. Unlike the younger sister who had 5 breaks in 18 months.
    1. Broke an arm as I walked her down the drive way after she got a new pair of shoes.
    2. Broke an arm falling from the second step of the stairs.
    3. Broke a collar bone jumping off a bed
    4. Broke a leg just walking by tripping herself up
    5. A second break for one of the arms. Can't remember how this one happened.

The looks my parents used to get in the hospital lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Couple of weeks ago I was in my bedroom changing my clothes or something... Was taking off my t-shirt, and obviously moved too fast cos I hit my hand on the edge of the wall hard enough to give it a little gash :( It wasn't a big cut, but quite deep, and it wouldn't stop bleeding for ages! Then it wouldn't heal, and I thought I'd have to get stiches. Eventually it healed. I've got a bit of a scar now though!

And I'm currently sporting a little cut on my index finger at the moment caused by a flathead drill piece that I used when screwing something recently! Not painful, but when putting my hand in my pocket or whatever it's annoying getting it caught, etc :(

• Advertisement

Just after christmas decided i would tuck into a bottle of wine i got as a gift. No bottle opener in the house, so had the clever idea of trying to use a drill to get the cork out... the neck of the bottle shattered and had a cut on my knuckle that refused to heal for two weeks :(

Though this was wholly a result of my own stupidity i admit!

Dave! wrote: »
    Couple of weeks ago I was in my bedroom changing my clothes or something...

You dirty dirty boy:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I broke my spine, it's a pain in the arse

Da-dum-tisch :pac:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I broke my spine, it's a pain in the arse

Da-dum-tisch :pac:

nO,breacking your cocyx would be a pain in the arse,
    Breaking your spine would paralyse you from the point of the break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I once got a papercut right on the tip of my tongue. T'was lousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Degsy wrote: »
    nO,breacking your cocyx would be a pain in the arse
    Yeah but I get pains down as far as me arse now ya welly

Breaking your spine would paralyse you from the point of the break down.
    Then how come i'm still walking? :rolleyes:

Spine != spinal chord my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I collapsed my lung twice in the last 2 years. Not being able to breath right was pretty annoying. So annoying in fact that I got an op to correct it and needed 7 weeks off work.

That annoyed me and my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Kiera wrote: »
    Stood on a nail in my bear feet while drunk.

You have bear feet? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

a lad i play soccer with broke his hole (or the bone at the top of it!) playing indoor soccer a few months ago, i sh*t you not! (no pun intended!)

he got some abuse over it, poor lad couldnt walk properly for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Oh actally I broke my toe by smacking it off a fireplace. Not fun, and you hop around like an eejit holding onto your foot or else (like me) you stand on the sore foot with the other foot.

Advertisement