Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Czarcasm wrote: »

Was she REALLY that thick or did you just make that up?

I don't think he made it up but I think it's stolen from a stand up comedy routine. I've heard it before but can't remember which comedian it was.
    I've been googling the shíte out of it but can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Vegans and Vegetarians only exist because they are rich enough to have the choice.
    Madam_X wrote: »
    Not true.

Of course it is. You go to any famine area, or just some dirt poor hell hole and start handing out big macs and buckets of kfc - Do you honestly think you'll get a lot of vegans opting out on ethical grounds?
    You don't need to be lord muck to turn vegan, but you need to be able to readily access and afford an alternative source of food. A large percentage of the world have no choice whatsover in what they eat, they have to eat what's available to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Dean09 wrote: »
    I don't think he made it up but I think it's stolen from a stand up comedy routine. I've heard it before but can't remember which comedian it was.
    I've been googling the shíte out of it but can't find it anywhere.

I've heard Tom Stade tell the joke about Sunderland or somewhere, definitely an old joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Of course it is. You go to any famine area, or just some dirt poor hell hole and start handing out big macs and buckets of kfc - Do you honestly think you'll get a lot of vegans opting out on ethical grounds?
    You don't need to be lord muck to turn vegan, but you need to be able to readily access and afford an alternative source of food. A large percentage of the world have no choice whatsover in what they eat, they have to eat what's available to survive.
    Some people would argue that vegetables are cheaper than meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Some people would argue that vegetables are cheaper than meat.
    They're a lot harder to round up and move on than livestock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Final thought before I log off: Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

+1,000,000,000.

You are rich enough to have the choice. At least 1 billion people on this planet don't have that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I f*cking hate horse racing.

Also not a fan of the national ploughing championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I f*cking hate horse racing.

Also not a fan of the national ploughing championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I f*cking hate double posts.

Opps new page....epic fail :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Television, generally, is awful - I can't help but feel companies and spindoctors want to use me via their incessant adverts etc.
    Radio, generally, is awful - for the same reason as above.
    Cinema - well, you reach a stage in life when you've seen most/all of the plots and it's predictable, and what with cinema owners raising the volume in a cinema and teenagers chatting loudly at the back, well it's just more of the same imposition.
    Pubs - with their blaring televisions and loud music, they lost me long ago. I used to like pubs where I could have a quiet chat with friends.

Internet discussion fora as alternatives are awfully overrated because they revolve around ego and this is, long term, poisonous to the healthy development of most people. It will take a while for this to be generally appreciated.

I'd have no objection to paying for a tv channel that was advertisement free and offered me documentaries or fact-based programmes. I'm just utterly tired of having formulaic commercial television or radio or pub cultures, adverts and blandness foisted upon me.

General rule: if people look down on you for not being into the latest trend, you're probably on the right track long-term in life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Television, generally, is awful - I can't help but feel companies and spindoctors want to use me via their incessant adverts etc.
    Radio, generally, is awful - for the same reason as above.
    Cinema - well, you reach a stage in life when you've seen most/all of the plots and it's predictable, and what with cinema owners raising the volume in a cinema and teenagers chatting loudly at the back, well it's just more of the same imposition.
    Pubs - with their blaring televisions and loud music, they lost me long ago. I used to like pubs where I could have a quiet chat with friends.

Internet discussion fora as alternatives are awfully overrated because they revolve around ego and this is, long term, poisonous to the healthy development of most people. It will take a while for this to be generally appreciated.

I'd have no objection to paying for a tv channel that was advertisement free and offered me documentaries or fact-based programmes. I'm just utterly tired of having formulaic commercial television or radio or pub cultures, adverts and blandness foisted upon me.

General rule: if people look down on you for not being into the latest trend, you're probably on the right track long-term in life.

Well, at least you still like books, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It is possible to get aroused by your own scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

old hippy wrote: »
    Well, at least you still like books, right?

Yes, until they too are being rammed down my throat à la what happens when I switch on the TV or Radio or go to the Cinema or Pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Yes, until they too are being rammed down my throat à la what happens when I switch on the TV or Radio or go to the Cinema or Pub.

Here's my recommendation; set your machine to record only the shows/programmes/documentaries you actually want to see.

Listen to commerical free stations like R3 or R4.

Only go to the cinema if it's on at the IFC, subtitled or in black and white.

Browse for books in your local charity and second hand book stores.

Go to a pub without a telly, sound system or, crucially, punters.

I too am assailed by popular culture and mass media moronics on a regular basis but I can screen them out, if I wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Vegans and Vegetarians only exist because they are rich enough to have the choice.
    There are approx 400m vegetarians in India alone. The staple diet of most pre-industrial European societies was grain, with meat making very occasional appearances. Care to revisit your ignorant opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

led zeppelin aren't that great a band

You must like being wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BusyMum12

I think Adele is over rated. Her voice and music seem fairly average to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Reekwind wrote: »
    There are approx 400m vegetarians in India alone. The staple diet of most pre-industrial European societies was grain, with meat making very occasional appearances. Care to revisit your ignorant opinion?

Probably best not to mention either the one billion Chinese whose diet consists primarily of rice and vegetables! :D

BusyMum12 wrote: »

:eek: :(:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

BusyMum12 wrote: »

Best of a bad lot these days thought it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Care to read the thread title.

'Unpopular' doesn't necessarily mean 'stupid' or 'wrong'. You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I couldn't care less of lance Armstrong doped or not. Seriously, why does anyone care??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Big Bang Theory TV show is seriously unfunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The whole point of western edcation systems is to confrom and indoctrinate kids rather than to actually educate them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

IrishExpat wrote: »
    Final thought before I log off: Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them.

That's such a cliched expression that it could hardly represent an unpopular opinion.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The whole point of western edcation systems is to confrom and indoctrinate kids rather than to actually educate them.

There are vast differences between the education system in Ireland and the UK, let alone France, Sweden, or the US. There's unpopular opinion, and then there's just being silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There are vast differences between the education system in Ireland and the UK, let alone France, Sweden, or the US. There's unpopular opinion, and then there's just being silly.

My point was referring more to the ultimate goal of said systems rather than the quality.

Beyond that, you'll need to elaborate on these "vast differences".

• Advertisement

My point was referring more to the ultimate goal of said systems rather than the quality.

Beyond that, you'll need to elaborate on these "vast differences".

And I'll do just that, when you elaborate upon your assertion that the ultimate goal of western education is indoctrination and conformity. If you could give examples based on your experience that'd be great. Otherwise we can just leave it here with all the other throwaway populist opinions.

Requesting somebody to "elaborate" is really a form of denial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Well it depends of course.

Making wild, unsubstantiated, inaccurate, short claims (for attention) like on this thread, is piss-boiling... but then again that's not an unpopular opinion.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Well it depends of course.

Making wild, unsubstantiated, inaccurate, short claims (for attention) like on this thread, is piss-boiling... but then again that's not an unpopular opinion.
    Opinions dont require elaboration, that is why they are opinions. Requesting elaboration on an opinion defeats the point to having an opinion, unpopular or not.

Opinions dont require elaboration, that is why they are opinions. Requesting elaboration on an opinion defeats the point to having an opinion, unpopular or not.

Requesting elaboration on an opinion doesn't at all defeat the point of having an opinion. Everyone has opinions, popular and unpopular, but they should at least be able to elaborate on the reasons for the basis of their opinions, otherwise they're just doing what I call entering a crowded room, farting, and then walking out, leaving everyone else to deal with the smell.

It's just downright ignorant, as is the idea of having an opinion with no evidence to support that opinion, unpopular or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's just downright ignorant, as is the idea of having an opinion with no evidence to support that opinion, unpopular or not.

My opinion would not agree. Now, it would be great if we had evidence for everything, wouldn't it?

We'd have no need of discussion, would we, there's the evidence and one cannot dispute it, it's there in black n white.

So I'd be more inclined to put the "It's just downright ignorant, as is the idea of having an opinion with no evidence to support that opinion, unpopular or not" in the ignorance section rather than an opinion with no evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Well it depends what constitutes as evidence. If you wanted hard details and numbers, it wouldn't be an opinion, it'd be a fact. Or if you took anecdotal evidence to support the opinion, which I suppose is how most people form opinions.

If I said, in my opinion, people from Mayo are lovely and you asked for facts, I wouldn't have any! But you'd be perfectly entitled to ask why I thought this.

I also completely agree that it's pointless saying something without having something to back it up, be it popular or unpopular.

To quote Harlan Ellison: "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I wish the US hadn't killed Osama Bin Laden because the ads of some god forsaken wankfest of film about 'getting their man' keep popping up on youtube videos.

I couldn't give a sh1t about teams of highly trained and highly armed special forces units murdering an old beardy man on his own in the dark.

Okay maybe I care a little bit, he should have been caught and made to stand trial just like any country that claims to stand behind democracy should have made any 'guilty' man do, but I generally forget stuff so to be reminded of my annoyance by annoying me multiplies my annoyance enough to post it here.

I don't like it okay.

If the above is more of a rant than an unpopular opinion just pretend I said something about the Jews being responsible and Hiltler and stufff like that yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Ignorant Opinions dont require elaboration, that is why they are opinions. Requesting elaboration on an opinion defeats the point to having an opinion, unpopular or not.

You forgot the important word.

And I'll do just that, when you elaborate upon your assertion that the ultimate goal of western education is indoctrination and conformity. If you could give examples based on your experience that'd be great. Otherwise we can just leave it here with all the other throwaway populist opinions.

Ah, you're hiding now :D. It's an opinion, I never claime it was fact.

But seeing as you asked: most ofthe subjects, when you look at them, require a certain reaction. History being the classic example. This is why we should be proud to be who we are and where we're from. However, it makes the assumption that we should be proud in he first place: are we proud?

When was the last time a history lesson asked: should we be proud of our history? Of our nationality? Is it even important? And if so, how do we know what we're being taugh is accurate? History, as they say, is written by the winners.

Rligion is another one. Why is what is on the syllaus not chllenged?

Specific to Ireland, Irish. We spend so mcuh time with this idea of reviving the language no one stops to ask: should we? And if so, if this the right way to do it? Why is EVERY teenager made to study it? At least in other countries, you do need the national langueg to communicate, but the same can not be said of Irish.

Now I've nothign against these subjects, but if we want kids to think for themslves, answer me this: why is philosphy not a core subject from the start?

Answer - because it encourages kids to think. And thinking leads to disagreeing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and a classroom full of teenagers disagreeing with the teacher would be ****ing brilliant

Answer - because it encourages kids to think. And thinking leads to disagreeing.

I wish I had written that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Rasheed wrote: »
    Well it depends what constitutes as evidence. If you wanted hard details and numbers, it wouldn't be an opinion, it'd be a fact. Or if you took anecdotal evidence to support the opinion, which I suppose is how most people form opinions.

If I said, in my opinion, people from Mayo are lovely and you asked for facts, I wouldn't have any! But you'd be perfectly entitled to ask why I thought this.

I also completely agree that it's pointless saying something without having something to back it up, be it popular or unpopular.
    Problem is: the people who post "look at me" comments here present them as statements of fact. They're not opinions in the true sense of the word: a subjective view that's neither right nor wrong; they're just "feelings" they have, notions they'd like to be true, but which are objectively wrong. If someone posts something like "I think there's a link between homosexuality and paedophilia", they use the "it's my opinion I'm entitled to it" line to avoid answering questions as to why they think this... because they don't have an answer; they just like thinking that, as it's their simplistic way of making sense of the world.
    Usually people with the dumbest, most unpleasant notions are the ones who get whiny when asked for reasons for these views - not difficult to figure out why...

To quote Harlan Ellison: "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant"
    Ok so start a thread and call it "Informed Opinions".

People seem to forget the context here.

Requesting elaboration on an opinion doesn't at all defeat the point of having an opinion. Everyone has opinions, popular and unpopular, but they should at least be able to elaborate on the reasons for the basis of their opinions, otherwise they're just doing what I call entering a crowded room, farting, and then walking out, leaving everyone else to deal with the smell.

Again, one with a lack of context. Thread is called Unpopular "Opnions".

Or to use your analagy, "drop in and fart here".

Downright ignorant to dismiss the context.

Again, I don't understand why people seem to conflate 'unpopular' with 'stupid' or 'ignorant'

Ah, you're hiding now :D. It's an opinion, I never claime it was fact.

Ah no, I wouldn't like you to take me up wrong, I wouldn't assume my opinion was fact either, but when I say "evidence" in the context of an opinion I meant "can you show me the thought process that led you to that conclusion and what you base your opinion upon?". It just helps further discussion and understanding is all, and you may discover that your opinion might not be as unpopular as you might think! Nobody was too pleased about Christopher Columbus putting forward the unpopular opinion at the time that the world was round! Look how that turned out! :D
    But seeing as you asked: most ofthe subjects, when you look at them, require a certain reaction. History being the classic example. This is why we should be proud to be who we are and where we're from. However, it makes the assumption that we should be proud in he first place: are we proud?

When was the last time a history lesson asked: should we be proud of our history? Of our nationality? Is it even important? And if so, how do we know what we're being taugh is accurate? History, as they say, is written by the winners.

Being proud of history is an interesting one because you have the likes of American Schools whose pupils recite the pledge of allegiance to the flag every morning, and the English well they have their pledge of allegiance to their queen. Irish schools don't have that same patriotism instilled in them, because we never won feckall! :D

Even the French though are funny about this one- they are a proud and arrogant nation, but it was only recently a pledge of allegiance was suggested (a suggestion didn't go down well either! :D).
    Rligion is another one. Why is what is on the syllaus not chllenged?

Contrary to popular belief, it actually has, and many times in fact, because now it has to accommodate other denominations, minorities, ethics; you ask the question further down as to why philosophy is not a core subject in schools, but it always has been, we just call it religion. I remember when I was in school- philosophy, free thinking and discussion was encouraged. Even moreso now it's integrated into the curriculum. We're still not at the level of the likes of the UK and the US or France because we have predominantly been a catholic country, whereas other western countries were a mix of cultures, and so their national curriculums were changed to accommodate for other cultures and religions decades ago.
    Specific to Ireland, Irish. We spend so mcuh time with this idea of reviving the language no one stops to ask: should we? And if so, if this the right way to do it? Why is EVERY teenager made to study it? At least in other countries, you do need the national langueg to communicate, but the same can not be said of Irish.

I'd have to agree with you on this one in fairness. As much as I love Irish, the reason so many hate it is because it IS indoctrinated and learned by rote in most schools. I just happened to get lucky in that my Irish teacher was passionate about the language itself, and went above and beyond the scope of the curriculum. Just be thankful the curriculum changed a few years back and you didn't have to indulge in the miserable sufferings of Peig! :D
    Now I've nothign against these subjects, but if we want kids to think for themslves, answer me this: why is philosphy not a core subject from the start?

If you want to encourage your child to think for themselves, that has to start in the home, you can't possibly say schools are churning out numptys and indoctrination is to blame. The apple doesn't usually fall far from the tree! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Again, one with a lack of context. Thread is called Unpopular "Opnions".

Or to use your analagy, "drop in and fart here".

Downright ignorant to dismiss the context.

This is a discussion forum; if you want to post material without engaging people a blog would be the thing you're after.

Downright ignorant indeed.

twinQuins wrote: »

This is a discussion forum; if you want to post material without engaging people a blog would be the thing you're after.

Downright ignorant indeed.
    Get the irony of the above?

Let me help you there chief, pot, kettle.

Contrary to popular belief, it actually has, and many times in fact, because now it has to accommodate other denominations, minorities, ethics;

OOOPPs! Big big no no here. They can't possibly allow anything that does not have evidence to back it up surely.

Belief is just not enough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement