Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sailing Geography Question

• 29-09-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm getting interested in sailing and have been doing quite a bit of reading with a particular interest in cruising.

Just wondering if there are any definitive web resources out there about particular areas of the world and their safety - be it due to changeable weather, coral shelfs, and whatnot. Not only looking for "dangerous" areas though - just any particular strangeties - for example areas where wind is a scarce resource like the doldrums, and so on.

For example, I'm reading a book at the moment that described the area within 30deg of the equator in the pacific as the "milk route" as it doesn't tend to have any dangerously changeable weather other than hurricanes which are generally seasonal.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Not sure I can answer that maybe one of the sailors can :) I look at any stretch of water and know it can be deadly at certain times, knowledge of your surroundings may help but it's no guarantee :eek: The Bermuda triangle might be one place to stay away from but then again I'd say more people have gone missing in the Irish sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

One thing that springs to mind is pilot or cruising guides. They give good local knowledge, from general stuff about the area they cover (I have two, one for the East/North coasts of Ireland, and for the Balearics), right down to tiny pilotage details for getting into basically every harbour you'll find.

What I don't know is how exetensively they cover the world - I'd assume that something along those lines is available for most of the world - it's certainly avialable for this side of it :D

ETA - this might be a good start - The Royal Cruising Club website http://www.rcc.org.uk/rccpf.aspx

<< The RCC Pilotage Foundation’s charitable object is “to advance the education of the public in the science and practice of navigation”. To this end the Foundation collects and researches written, photographic and chart information relating to small boat pilotage, navigation and operations, including remote areas where other sources of information are scarce or non-existent. The information is then disseminated through conventional books and, increasingly, via passage planning guides, downloads, e-books, and other media, accessible via the RCC Pilotage Foundation website at www.rccpf.org.uk>>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.cruisersforum.com is an American-centric, but widely used online forum and resource,

http://www.cruising.org.uk/home would be the big British organisation.

A lot of the information regarding navigation is hard won and expensive to keep up to date, therefore there's usually a price to pay to get this information easily to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Thanks a lot for the links guys!

Advertisement