Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Saw this beautiful piece of bike locking today on Abbey Street, had to take a quick snap :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/11-conversion-therapy-methods-curing-homosexuality_n_1068103.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008#s440886&title=Bicycling

American neurologist Graeme M. Hammond suggests bicycling as a cure for homosexuality. He believed "homosexuality was rooted in nervous exhaustion and that bicycle exercise would restore health and heterosexuality."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

RobFowl wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/31/11-conversion-therapy-methods-curing-homosexuality_n_1068103.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008#s440886&title=Bicycling

American neurologist Graeme M. Hammond suggests bicycling as a cure for homosexuality. He believed "homosexuality was rooted in nervous exhaustion and that bicycle exercise would restore health and heterosexuality."

You should forward that piece to Eamon Delaney

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I had a soccer match tonight and I actually cried like a little girl on the pitch. I was supposed to be sitting the match out as I'm sick and I was on the sauce last night but only eleven players showed up and none of the ones that did were our first, second or third choice goalkeepers so I ended up in goal. We were 3-0 down in the second half when one of their players went to hoof the ball in their half, high. I came out a bit, I let it bounce but misjudged the speed of it, I tried to catch it before it got to the goal but it slipped from my grasp on the line and tears started to come from my eyes, a real "ground opening" moment. I got up off the ground, wiped the tears from my eyes and only let in one more goal before the match was done. I don't think I'll ever be allowed between the sticks again, which is a good thing for all concerned. I've tried to find a youtube of something similar but can't find anything so spectacularly shít. I can't wait to be playing full back again.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Give it up Cap'n - you're past it....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Beasty wrote: »
    Give it up Cap'n - you're past it....

You're right young man.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You're right young man.
    I see you as an Owen Hargreaves type - all washed-up at the age of 30 or so. More of a Giggsy man myself;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

More of a Giggsy man myself;)

How's the sister in law :rolleyes:

I see you as an Owen Hargreaves type - all washed-up at the age of 30 or so. More of a Giggsy man myself;)

You have to love him though, picking up all that cash for sitting in a physio room, now that's a job I could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

BOOM! Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

I came out a bit, I let it bounce but misjudged the speed of it, I tried to catch it before it got to the goal but it slipped from my grasp on the line and tears started to come from my eyes, a real "ground opening" moment. I got up off the ground, wiped the tears from my eyes and only let in one more goal before the match was done. I don't think I'll ever be allowed between the sticks again, which is a good thing for all concerned. I've tried to find a youtube of something similar but can't find anything so spectacularly shít. I can't wait to be playing full back again.

My sympathies Captain, I've been that soldier. Goalkeeper is an unforgiving position. Now I play midfield...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

How's the nose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Did you know that the Apple Macintosh was nearly called the Apple Bicycle?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/25/steve-jobs-biography-walter-isaacson-review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Why does the off-topic thread always revert to ball-sports talk?

Why does the off-topic thread always revert to ball-sports talk?

Off-topic is the clue.....

... the off-topic topics that posters want to pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

My football coach always told me if the ball ever got near our goalkeeper the defense weren't doing they job. You were losing 4-0 and still no one wanted to go in goal!! You're completely blameless in my book, in fact, well done you for steping up and going in goal in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

I thought you were a day ahead of us down there??? ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75238521

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Pucking Functure again this morning. And it's quite difficult to listen for escaping air when there's a gale blowing :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I thought you were a day ahead of us down there??? ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75238521

I stole it from AH :o

thought they were enough ahead of the rest of this place to get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just(say Around 12:10) passed a young lad on Harcourt going the wrong way on a red/wine road bike that was way to big for him. I'd be highly suspicious of him, not to judge or anything. If this happens to be anyone on here's bike, he'll be on about two dozen CCTV cameras. Will keep an eye on the stolen reports thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just(say Around 12:10) passed a young lad on Harcourt going the wrong way on a red/wine road bike that was way to big for him. I'd be highly suspicious of him, not to judge or anything. If this happens to be anyone on here's bike, he'll be on about two dozen CCTV cameras. Will keep an eye on the stolen reports thread.

If it was a Planet X Uncle John cyclocross bike I'll hunt him down and feed him his fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sram is hoping to raise $300 million in an IPO.

• Advertisement

Sr Assumpta, I saw this and thought of you...

Man's pained face shows up in ultrasound scan of testicle

Lumen wrote: »
    Sr Assumpta, I saw this and thought of you...

Man's pained face shows up in ultrasound scan of testicle

Lumen, you read The Mirror ???? :eek:

Never meet your hero.........

Lumen, you read The Mirror ???? :eek

No, the internet sent me a link.

I usually read the Farmers' Journal or the American Journal of Proctology, whichever comes to hand.

I used to read the Journal every week in a previous life.

I used to read the Journal every week in a previous life.

As a proctologist?

• Advertisement

I'm sure the farmers felt like I was one at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I'd be interested in seeing an ultrasound scan of a testicle belonging to pained face.

Lemag wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing an ultrasound scan of a testicle belonging to pained face.

Oh, between us I'm sure we could arrange something.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Saw a bike painted green white and orange with some kind of diy "disc" on it outside the jury's inn at christchurch.Very funny looking. Anyone else spot it? I didn't get a chance to catch a picture of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Fair play to the Garda I saw yesterday evening at 5.00pm by The Temple Theatre. He had stopped a Ninja on a bike who had no lights on, he went to the boot of the car and gave him a hi-viz jacket. I'm not sure if he did anything else but I'm sure he at least gave the Ninja a lecture.

Vélo wrote: »
    Fair play to the Garda I saw yesterday evening at 5.00pm by The Temple Theatre. He had stopped a Ninja on a bike who had no lights on, he went to the boot of the car and gave him a hi-viz jacket. I'm not sure if he did anything else but I'm sure he at least gave the Ninja a lecture.
    The cyclist still wasn't cycling legally after his gift. The lecture was a good idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

First cycle in 2 months for me tonight - only allowed 30mins but i cant wait to be honest

3 x flashing back red lights, 1 x flashing white light up front, reflective shoecovers and gloves and the Garda still stopped me to see if the bright 'highlighter' yellow top I was wearing had reflective strips on it, it was an Assos winter one and it did so he was happy. WFT :rolleyes:

Hungrycol wrote: »
    3 x flashing back red lights, 1 x flashing white light up front, reflective shoecovers and gloves and the Garda still stopped me to see if the bright 'highlighter' yellow top I was wearing had reflective strips on it, it was an Assos winter one and it did so he was happy. WFT :rolleyes:

Last year, Drumcondra, about this time of the year - two TK11s on the front, two Smart LEDs on the back, a hi-vis windstopper and (I think) a reflective band on the helmet and I still got stopped to be given a leaflet about lighting up!!

Maybe you have to be lit up like this before they don't stop you.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRK-d4ZOm4ZSc49ZmtCzknjzRk2NeLOhS1_qeRoQPX8ZubOeu9wt21s8ZVHw

Seen as this thread is named after a fine practitioner of medicine, this might be of interest.....

Are physiological attributes of jockeys predictors of falls? A pilot study

Not sure if you could extrapolate to cyclists - but if you are a lard-arse, unfit jockey, it seems you are more likely to fall!

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Last year, Drumcondra, about this time of the year - two TK11s on the front, two Smart LEDs on the back, a hi-vis windstopper and (I think) a reflective band on the helmet and I still got stopped to be given a leaflet about lighting up!!

Maybe you have to be lit up like this before they don't stop you.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRK-d4ZOm4ZSc49ZmtCzknjzRk2NeLOhS1_qeRoQPX8ZubOeu9wt21s8ZVHw
    I was aware they were advising cyclists on having lights, but I was unaware that they were pushing hi-viz like this. They shouldn't be; it's a waste of police time. If you have decent lights, that's the end of it. There's no requirement to dress like a binman. Even if hi-viz is a useful complement to legally required lights, it's none of their business to be stopping people who are already conspicuous. Do they stop motorists during the day to tell them what a good idea day-time running lights are?

EDIT: And while I'm giving out, what is it with all those roadside LED signs with warnings to cyclists that have been running on and off all year? Intoxicated pedestrians constitute a much larger group in the KSI statistics. Go and lecture them for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Hungrycol wrote: »

Where did this crazy waste of resources happen?

RT66 wrote: »
    Where did this crazy waste of resources happen?

Swords: Traffic Garda pulled in to give out to car owners who parked on a double yellow to pop into a shop (newsagents). I had stopped for milk and proceeding on my merry way when waved to stop me and said "no it's OK I see you have reflective strips on your top".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Out for delivery"

Are there are sweeter words to see when you're tracking a purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

received my fenix this morning and managed to temporarily blind myself. still reeling a bit.

"i wonder if this is bright, let me take a look...."

my dopiness knows no bounds!

G rock wrote: »
    received my fenix this morning and managed to temporarily blind myself. still reeling a bit.

"i wonder if this is bright, let me take a look...."

my dopiness knows no bounds!

I tried mine on the wife's cat and the kids - it made all their eyes light up!!

Didn't try it on the wife though - too much sense for that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Dirty hipsters… :rolleyes:

http://twitter.com/Ichigear
    @Ichigear
    Single Speed Fix Gear track bicycle shop, right behind Paradise Showgirls in Industry CA. Visit ur favorite pole dancer while getting your fixie bicycle fix

Dirty hipsters… :rolleyes:

http://twitter.com/Ichigear
    It's a trend:
    Owen Wilson was a man on a mission when he pedaled his way to Scores West Side strip club on a mountain bike.

According to the The NY Post, Wilson parked his bike at the checkroom and then sat down to enjoy the topless talent.
    http://www.hollyscoop.com/owen-wilson/owen-wilson-bikes-for-strippers.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Anyone here read bicycling science 3rd edition by gordon wilson? If so what'd you make of it? Is it very theoretical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Crow92 wrote: »
    Anyone here read bicycling science 3rd edition by gordon wilson? If so what'd you make of it? Is it very theoretical?

I've read it and enjoyed it and managed to make sense of it even though I'm not a science-engineering-maths sort at all. There are lots of formulae and graphs that look quite intimidating when you're not used to reading that sort of thing, and I'm sure I didn't understand every detail, but it's well-written enough that given a bit of time and re-reading I could always figure out the gist of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement