Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

backwards compatible with wii titles and peripherals, not compatible with gc stuff

Helix are we still looking at late October early November for launch??

Every shop has dec 25th nobody has an iota of a notion what launch day is!!!!

ill bet my left bollock on november 18th now, after narrowing it down a bit

Kinski wrote: »
    It would actually make some sense to preorder now if anyone wants one at launch, what with rumours that there will be an under-supply, possibly even delaying the European release until next year.

yeah it's looking unlikely it'll be in europe in 2012

probably looking at february if that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Helix wrote: »
    ill bet my left bollock on november 18th now, after narrowing it down a bit

Go all in with the right bollock and make a ninty fan smile??? ;)

yeah it's looking unlikely it'll be in europe in 2012

probably looking at february if that happens

Surely they are not gonna miss out on Xmas sales??? That would be ****ing madness!! Imagine all disappointed kids Xmas morning mammy why did Santa not bring me my wii u!!!!

Nintendo have a ficking heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

If any of you have been following what Ninty have been saying since E3, it will be out WORLD WIDE holiday 2012, so thats November 18th('ish) for the US and Europe prob a week before or after that. Japan, prob a month before or same as Europe.

I dont think the the WiiU will sell out like the Wii did in 2006, different times now.

Also re Xmas sales, if the Mammys cant find the WiiU for little Timmy for Xmas morning, that mammy will buy a cheap Xbox or a PS3 and Ninty will loose that one sale, so they will have it out before Xmas.

So what do people think the price will be?

I think €299.

Some people are now thinking Nintendo World will not be a pack in with the WiiU (one reviewer on NWR says it looks way too polished and perhaps a little too good to be a pack in), so that makes me think that MAYBE NSMBU could be a pack in for €20 extra so €319, no disc in the box but comes with a download code for the game from the estore (or eshop, whichever) so that gets people straight onto the online shop and they'll see all the other online games to buy right off the bat.

Just a thought....

If any of you have been following what Ninty have been saying since E3, it will be out WORLD WIDE holiday 2012, so thats November 18th('ish) for the US and Europe prob a week before or after that. Japan, prob a month before or same as Europe.

E3 was before they ran into massive manufacturing issues on the controller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I dont think the the WiiU will sell out like the Wii did in 2006, different times now.

Also re Xmas sales, if the Mammys cant find the WiiU for little Timmy for Xmas morning, that mammy will buy a cheap Xbox or a PS3 and Ninty will loose that one sale, so they will have it out before Xmas.

So what do people think the price will be?

I think €299.

Some people are now thinking Nintendo World will not be a pack in with the WiiU (one reviewer on NWR says it looks way too polished and perhaps a little too good to be a pack in), so that makes me think that MAYBE NSMBU could be a pack in for €20 extra so €319, no disc in the box but comes with a download code for the game from the estore (or eshop, whichever) so that gets people straight onto the online shop and they'll see all the other online games to buy right off the bat.

Just a thought....

Cant see WiiU having the same immediate appeal to casual games as the wii unless they really really push with ads etc. Similar to the 3DS i see alot of people asking why cant i just get these games for the WiiU which is why i would have thought a name change was in order.

Really? What types of problems?

They are fooked if its out after Christmas, I know we'll get one whenever it comes out. But the casuals? Maybe not so much.

They are fooked if its out after Christmas, I know we'll get one whenever it comes out. But the casuals? Maybe not so much.

think its with trying to get two of the pads working with the one console.

• Advertisement

Ah right, yeah heard that at the start of the year, I heard they had sorted that a while back, but would come with an online update to the system in the new year.

would have thought the same to be honest but apparently not. maybe one of the launch titles or soon after launch want it and they have to push so the game can release on time and work day one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Honestly, Nintendo realise that the concept of the WiiU is a hard sell to anyone outside Japan. I see them selling Nintendo World in Japan at retail while bundling it in with the console in the other territories to incentivise spending all that dough and actually being able to play something that utilizes nintendo's genius right out of the box. It was done with Wii Sports, it'll be done for Nintendo World.:D

afaik they'd to destroy a huge batch of them as they didn't work properly, setting them back a fair whack of time. NA and JP will be prioritised if it comes down to not having enough for all 3 territories to launch i assume

though that said, i'd not rule it out that this is the usual nintendo pre console release scaremongering to drum up hype. it'll likely be followed by the usual small launch batch that sells out and gets parents in a panic before christmas, where nintendo miraculously find a few million consoles just in time and people buy them by the bucketload

of course, there's nothing close to that level of hype around the wii u

jaydoxx wrote: »
    Honestly, Nintendo realise that the concept of the WiiU is a hard sell to anyone outside Japan. I see them selling Nintendo World in Japan at retail while bundling it in with the console in the other territories to incentivise spending all that dough and actually being able to play something that utilizes nintendo's genius right out of the box. It was done with Wii Sports, it'll be done for Nintendo World.:D

Yeah I guess your right. Would love NSMBU to be a pack in on launch tho.
    The reviews seem to be good(for what it is) for Ninty World anyway.
    afaik they'd to destroy a huge batch of them as they didn't work properly, setting them back a fair whack of time. NA and JP will be prioritised if it comes down to not having enough for all 3 territories to launch i assume

though that said, i'd not rule it out that this is the usual nintendo pre console release scaremongering to drum up hype. it'll likely be followed by the usual small launch batch that sells out and gets parents in a panic before christmas, where nintendo miraculously find a few million consoles just in time and people buy them by the bucketload

Yeah they could try the Wii strategy all over agian, but it would be pointless since its not 2006 and people are broke now.

I am still trying to figure out how this WiiU system is like the Snes, as Iwata Satoru said last year, did he just mean 're-inventing' the controller like the Snes did 20 years ago?

Or that the system will be for the 'hardcore' gamers again?
    Or is it the shape of the system? Kinda long looking.:rolleyes:

God I need more information on this bloody thing!
    Guess we'll be drip fed some more info on the 13th.

i would think they may still release a limited number before XMas here similar to the wii when it came out. it will be all over the news about the limited number of the new must have console and when they get higher numbers ready bang loads of people quing for the new must have toy that little jimmy has been crying for

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Thophder

If this does come out at Christmas, i may just go out and buy one :p Black console of course & has Nintendo confirmed any mario/zelda games at launch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Since I have been verboten from buying one myself, working very hard to persuade my son that he wants one for Christmas. Need a few ads to come out soon on kids tv though to reinforce what a good idea it is.

Do it for Santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

mod edit

• Advertisement

Work there wampy? Or own rage by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    mod snip

I used to buy from these guys. Then they started checking ebay prices on every item.

No point buying from them now unfortunately. It's easier to just use ebay. If they want to stay in business, they'll need to look at current ebay prices, but deduct postage prices.

Oh and lads, get rid of the 'RARE' thing on price tags. It's pissing a lot of people off. Most things you have there aren't 'rare', they're just popular and a little uncommon. It's not the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Since I have been verboten from buying one myself, working very hard to persuade my son that he wants one for Christmas. Need a few ads to come out soon on kids tv though to reinforce what a good idea it is.

Do it for Santa!

The answer is simple. Record a couple of episodes of Ben 10 or Adventure Time or whatever your kid likes, then compile a bunch of photos of the Wii U superimposed over Batman-esque kablammo flashes, ideally zooming in and out in a sickening manner while you sing "Wii-U, Wii-U, gotta buy Wii-U" (if you've seen the in-show ad for Strong Johns on Regular Show, basically do that). Integrate it into a couple of ad breaks and then stick it on a DVD or your media player. Then brainwash him. It's responsible parenting, you're taking an interest in what your boy watches!

I saw the preview of dark siders 2 for wii u in last months issue of ONM(Official Nintendo Magazine)

I m looking the preview of mass effect 3 for wii u now in new issue of ONM(Official Nintendo Magazine)

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-getting-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/

Also there's a preview of the game for wii u now in new issue of ONM(Official Nintendo Magazine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Hadn't seen this news before...apparently you can use a wiimote pointer with the gamepad....inbuilt sensor bar :confused::)

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/wii-u-gamepad-can-be-used-as-a-secondary-screen-according-to-nintendo-patent/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

smokingman wrote: »
    Hadn't seen this news before...apparently you can use a wiimote pointer with the gamepad....inbuilt sensor bar :confused::)

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/wii-u-gamepad-can-be-used-as-a-secondary-screen-according-to-nintendo-patent/

In other words, prop your WiiU controller up against something, take the Remote in hand...and Wii. Just like on your TV, only much, much smaller! That is all kinds of pointless.

Kinski wrote: »
    smokingman wrote: »

In other words, prop your WiiU controller up against something, take the Remote in hand...and Wii. Just like on your TV, only much, much smaller! That is all kinds of pointless.
    No no no its not
    Wii in the front room
    Kids asleep
    You sitting out in the car screeching along to RockBand tunes or blasting the motherfathers of HotD Overkill, all the while sparing their fragile little minds

Better than that.... Playing Zelda on the loo. This is what I bought a house for. Well, that and the roof.

... and they said Nintendo never make stuff for adults

• Advertisement

I can go play Zelda on the loo right now if I want :)

Doubt this thing will be able to talk to the console from out in the car. Anyhow if l had kids I'd be forcing them to stay up playing games...You little brats aren't going to bed until you finish Contra 3! Seriously, that game teaches valuable life lessons.

From a patent diagram, one suggestion could be playing a multiplayer game as if playing over a LAN. So imagine playing 2 player Mario Kart and not being able to see what the other player is at. Or something like Goldeneye where you can't see where the other player is from looking at their screen.

Yes, I'm sure Player 2 would never think to look up at the big HD TV on the wall while hiding his tiny screen behind a small cushion.

BTW, my car is parked about 10 feet from my TV, seperated only by a wall with a large window in it. If the range on the WiiU Controller thingy is that feeble, how are you supposed to even go into the next room with it? I had dreams of making sandwiches with one hand and pounding Haymakers into Andre The Giant's gut with the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    I had dreams of making sandwiches with one hand and pounding Haymakers into Andre The Giant's gut with the other.

What'd poor Andre the Giant do to you? :(

He got in the way of me making hay and sandwiches!

Also, I may have imagined writing a paragraph about a sequel to WWF No Mercy. Being able to take food and loo breaks without having to stop the action in a 40-man royal rumble KO Elimination only challenge would be a godsend.

Interesting. The big Nintendo Wii U conference thing is on Thursday week and now Apple announce their next iPhone event for the day before.

But apparently the Nintendo event will be streamed by gamestop or someone.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how much this will be?? Jesus that girl in hmv cost them a preorder and sale with her 500 euro quote I was like NOOOOOO way lol

nintendo never gone that high before

more around €300

nintendo never gone that high before

more around €300

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a little more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There is a report here about the pricing and release date being linked. The report says that the price will be $250 but also there will be three bundles in total.

Was just thinking, while we saw the launch window line up at E3, we still don't know what games Japan are getting at launch that may make their way over here, do we?

So we have the American event next Thursday and the Japanese version is meant to be before it. Hopefully we get a European one soon as well

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a little more than that.

i dont think so nintendo never charge that much money for their machines, on the 1st wii luanch 2006 december was about €200, while playstation 3 was 600 and xbox 360 about €400, and nintendo never be expensive as sony or microsoft.

• Advertisement

i dont think so nintendo never charge that much money for their machines, on the 1st wii luanch 2006 december was about €200, while playstation 3 was 600 and xbox 360 about €400, and nintendo never be expensive as sony or microsoft.

The Wii was €250, I was standing outside Game waiting for them to open that morning! (After finishing a 12 hour night shift!)

There was leaked pricing that showed 3 different bundles, $250, $300, $350 (As far as I recall. Traditionally, those have been converted to Euro by simple changing the sign in front of the figure.

[edit] Link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57505947-1/nintendo-wii-u-pricing-release-date-revealed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Wii was €250, I was standing outside Game waiting for them to open that morning! (After finishing a 12 hour night shift!)

There was leaked pricing that showed 3 different bundles, $250, $300, $350 (As far as I recall. Traditionally, those have been converted to Euro by simple changing the sign in front of the figure.

[edit] Link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57505947-1/nintendo-wii-u-pricing-release-date-revealed/

Quick google and €259 showed up for the Europe, i got it in smyths and from what i can find on Boards now i paid that but it was €250/260 elsewhere.

that's worse than the normal €=$ when the US price was $250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Smyths have most games up for €59.99 so may be it will be the games Nintendo make their money on for this.

http://www.toys.ie/Nintendo-Wii-U-!WCAT85-cat.aspx

Smyths have most games up for €59.99 so may be it will be the games Nintendo make their money on for this.

http://www.toys.ie/Nintendo-Wii-U-!WCAT85-cat.aspx
    Nintendo tend to make a profit on the hardware too, unlike the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Gaygamer got a 'hands-on' crack at the Wii-U, and it seems to be really positive.

http://www.thegaygamer.com/2012/09/my-er-wii-u-experience-experience.html
    My, er, Wii U Experience experience

As some of you (i.e. those of you who follow me on Twitter) already know, I attended the "Wii U Experience" event Nintendo of America held in downtown Seattle last night.

In case you've never heard of them before now, these invite-only events have been held in cities across the country over the last month or so and provide attendees with a bit of hands-on time with Nintendo's next console and a number of its games (both first- and third-party).

As far as I can remember, the following games were demoed during the "Wii U Experience" I attended: Batman: Arkham City--Armored Edition, Game & Wario, Just Dance 4, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Project P-100, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Sing, Wii Fit U, Wii U Panorama View and ZombiU.

I think Scribblenauts Unlimited, and possibly another game or two, may have been at the event as well, but I'm not sure about that. (The venue where the "Wii U Experience" was held had a number of rooms, and I didn't go into all of them, shockingly enough.)

Anyway, of all of the aforementioned games, I personally got to, well, experience just four of them: Game & Wario, Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U and the still-tentatively-titled (I hope) Project P-100.

Below are my impressions of each of those titles, as well as a few thoughts on some of the games I simply watched other people play.

* Game & Wario--If there was a Wii U game at this event that disappointed me, or at least confused me, it was this one. For starters, I find the art style used here to be kind of off-putting, especially when compared to the style that's been used in the most recent WarioWare titles.

The oddly childish (in a bad way) art style employed here isn't Game & Wario's main problem, though; no, that would be its rather unappealing gameplay. You see, rather than rapidly throwing a series of hilarious (or at least mildly humorous), single-player-focused mini-games at players like WarioWare does, this Wii U title tosses a bunch of slower-paced (as in, some of them have time limits that last for a number of minutes), multi-player-focused games at them.

That would be all well and good, but the two Game & Watch mini-games I experienced at the event weren't multi-player experiences in the traditional sense. Instead, both of them involved one player holding and using the Wii U GamePad to interact with the TV and the rest simply watching the action and providing input (such as, "the guy you're looking for is in the lower-right corner!") when needed.

There's nothing wrong with that kind of gameplay, and it's certainly unique in the world of console gaming, but I can't say it appealed to me all that much. As such, I hope either a bunch of Game & Wario's mini-games can be enjoyed alone or one of Nintendo's teams is hard at work on another WarioWare title.

* Nintendo Land--I have to say, Game & Watch looks especially bad when experienced just after Nintendo's other multi-player-centric Wii U "launch window" title, Nintendo Land. Whereas the former game seems oddly unappealing, the latter features the kind of "anyone can enjoy it" magic that's injected into all of the company's best releases.

Although five of Nintendo Land's mini-games were demoed at the Seattle "Wii U Experience," I only played two--Animal Crossing: Sweet Day and Luigi's Haunted Mansion. Both of them were loads of fun and caused me and the people I was playing with to smile, laugh, cheer and more. Well, except for the time my husband begrudgingly agreed to sit in on a round of Animal Crossing: Sweet Day. (Him: "Which one am I?" Me: "I don't know, move around a bit and figure out which one moves in the same way." Him: "None of them are moving in the same way." Me: "Of course one of them is moving in the same way! I'm the one in the lower-left corner, so you're one of the other three." Him: "What am I supposed to do again?" Me: Collect the candy!" Him: "Which ones are the candy?" Me: "Arrrrrrggggggh!!!")

Sadly, my experiences with both mini-games were rather short, as me and my competitors/colleagues completely sucked. Still, we had a blast. I'd like it to be noted, by the way, that all of the mini-games on display looked great. I was especially impressed with Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, which gives me hope that the inevitable Wii U-based Animal Crossing sequel not only will look gorgeous but will look significantly different from its predecessors.

* New Super Mario Bros. U--Would you be surprised to hear the biggest crowds were parked behind the two Wii Us that were playing this game? Yeah, I wouldn't be either. Was it worth waiting in line for? Oh, yeah. Although I've never been the biggest fan of the New Super Mario Bros. series (only the Wii iteration has really wetted my whistle), I've been interested in New Super Mario Bros. U since it was re-unveiled during the most recent E3--mainly due to its high-definition visuals.

Speaking of which, this game's graphics are even more impressive in person than they were in the screenshots and YouTube videos I'd seen before the "Wii U Experience" event. Everything is so clean and crisp that you can't believe you ever thought this would be little more than an up-rezzed port of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Anyway, enough about that. I was lucky enough to be able to play the "starry night" level that can be seen at the 50-second mark of this trailer. As was the case with my time with Nintendo Land, I completely sucked while playing this game for the first time (as in, I used up all of my lives before our time was up). In my defense, I was distracted from the task at hand due to my once-again-distressed husband, who had no idea what he was supposed to do. (Me: "It's a Mario game. You move to the right and hit the jump button once in a while." Him: "Which character am I?" Me: "I don't know! Move around a bit and see which one moves the same way." Him: "Which one is the jump button?" Me: "Aaaaahhhhh!!")

Amazingly, I still left the New Super Mario Bros. U station with a grin on my face. Yes, it feels pretty much like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but it looks so much better that I'll surely be buying it alongside the Wii U.

* Project P-100--This is the first game that I sought out upon entering the "Wii U Experience," but it was the last one I played. That's because I was more than a bit intimidated by it. Why? Well, everything moves really fast, for starters. Also, it uses pretty much all of the Wii U GamePad's buttons as well as its touch screen. Trying to come to terms with all of that in front of a pack of slobbering witnesses (OK, so most of them weren't actually slobbering) wasn't all that appealing to me early on.

I returned to the Project P-100 station (which was startlingly empty for most of the event) just before my husband and I left, though, due to a little voice in my head that kept telling me, "You readers are going to give you hell if you don't at least try it." So, I did. And you know what? I loved it. Yes, it was a bit confusing at first thanks to the plethora of control options, but after a minute or so (and a bit of help from the nice Nintendo employee who was manning that particular station) I figured things out and no longer felt like a floundering fish.

It must be said, by the way, that in the end the bevy of control options made Project P-100 (or, rather, what little I played of it) feel like a much deeper experience than I expected it to be. It's not just a mindless run-and-punch or run-and-slash game. The question is: Will I be picking up this title alongside the Wii U (or whenever it's released), too? You bet your buttons.

As for the rest of the on-hand games that I failed to play but still attracted my attention: Pikmin 3 was absolutely beautiful and deserved the rather sizable crowd that always seemed to be hovering around its tucked-away-in-the-corner station. Rayman Legends and ZombiU also looked fabulous, with the latter especially surprising me. Although I'm not entirely fond of its character models (something about them seems a bit "off" to me), the rest of ZombiU is as gorgeous as a game about killing zombies can be.

Speaking of the Wii U's graphics in general, I wouldn't hesitate to say that all of the games I saw in motion (and I saw pretty much all of them in motion at one point or another) looked a lot better than I thought they would prior to the event. The overall visual fidelity of each and every game that was shown off last night easily put to shame similar games that were made for the regular ol' Wii.

Did they look better or worse than PS3 or Xbox 360 offerings? I don't know--and, honestly, I don't care. All I care about is that they looked great (as opposed to, you know, looking "just like Wii games," as some haters would have you believe).

Finally, a few thoughts on the Wii U GamePad, which I've been dying to get my hands on ever since it was unveiled during last year's E3. The first thing you have to know about it: It's amazingly light. As in, not much heavier than, say, a Wii Remote or an Xbox 360 controller. Even better: Somehow, it doesn't feel cheap. Also, the analog sticks as well as face and shoulder buttons feel great. Oh, and the GamePad's touch screen is really nice. I was pretty frazzled when I had to use it while playing Project P-100 (you have to draw a circle to attract citizens to your ever-growing swarm of super heroes), so I can't say how responsive or unresponsive it is, unfortunately, but everything else about it appears to be top-notch.

So, there you have it. If I were forced to edit this post to just one line, I would go with something like: I'm sold. As in, I'm sold on buying a Wii U and a number of its games--assuming, of course, the system is sold at a reasonable cost (which is something we North Americans should hear more about this coming Thursday, Sept. 13).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

I'm disappointed they just didn't make a regular old Warioware now:\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As a 3DS launch owner, I can legitimately p1ss all over your post :p

I know there's the Nintendo conference thread, but I'll put this here.

Nintendo Direct European Wii U preview on Thursday 13th at 4pm CEST, which is 3pm our time. Same time as the American conference.

So hopefully this will give us the release date and price(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know there's the Nintendo conference thread, but I'll put this here.

Nintendo Direct European Wii U preview on Thursday 13th at 4pm CEST, which is 3pm our time. Same time as the American conference.

They will...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-11-european-wii-u-launch-details-due-thursday-in-nintendo-direct-conference-report

CastorTroy wrote: »

There won't be a price announcement because they can't set one; maybe a suggested one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement