Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nights out with people off the internet

Options
  • 18-05-2010 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I'm new to this site and was a bit taken back when I came across threads about " boards nights out." From reading them I understand that some Boards members regularly attend these events.

I'm kind of from the school of thought that whats on the internet is best left there and that includes people, so it wouldn't really be my thing. However, I am curious to find out how people have got on when they met each other. So i'd really appreciate if , you have attended such nights out you could give me an insight into your experiences using the following questions as a guide.

(I can understand to a certain extent how specific areas of boards can arrange nights out because they have common interests eg Film, photography etc, so its really the "after hours" nights out etc that I find unusual.)

Did anyone regret going? Have any bad experiences?

Did peoples personality prove totally different to the ones they presented on boards?

Are nights out usually made up of single males looking to meet girls?

Is it just....nerds??

Did Moderators ever experience trouble from "banned members" showing up to seek revenge etc?

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned but its something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing at all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Last time I met up with people from the internet I was shot and raped.

• Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Last time I met up with people from the internet I shot and raped someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Did Moderators ever experience trouble from "banned members" showing up to seek revenge etc?

Ha ha ha ha! Please let this be true. Can you imagine being arsed to go somewhere to have a go at someone for banning you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Last time I met up with people from the internet I was shot and raped.

In the opposite order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha! Please let this be true. Can you imagine being arsed to go somewhere to have a go at someone for banning you?

Or if they banned you at the Boards beer night for saying something insulting to another boardsie.

Actually, they probably carry yellow & red cards with them for that very purpose.

• Advertisement

Or if they banned you at the Boards beer night for saying something insulting to another boardsie.

Actually, they probably carry yellow & red cards with them for that very purpose.

They could have a Feedback night where all the Mods are. You could go and complain about forums to them. :)

And when someone says something funny or something you agree with, you could say 'thanks' to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I called Tom a cu*t in the bleeding horse and Gandalf give me a 3 day ban from afterhours.*

*this may be a total lie.

If you are intending to go to a Boards beer night, make sure to take with you the full range of smilies to hold up, or people may not be able to read which emotion you wish to convey :

:D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek:confused::P:cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Here's a link to a thread of one of the last Beers held.

If you read it all you will get a feel for what it was like and how people got on that never met before etc:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055757913

If you are intending to go to a Boards beer night, make sure to take with you the full range of smilies to hold up, or people may not be able to read which emotion you wish to convey :

:D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek:confused::P:cool::pac:

It would be easier to use your own face to try and imitate each smilie. Can you imagine using :cool: on a constant basis though? You'd be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

I want to go to a boards fancy dress party as a thread & get locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I haven't been on any AH sessions, but I bet I'd do something like this...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've met some really awesome people from boards beers. Don't knock it til you try it.

Cool - I'll get out my Thanks Whore costume & join ya!

I wouldn't want to be the person that goes as: :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

They'll get the shit kicked out of themselves. :rolleyes:

Ohhh noes! :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Have been to a few, Theres some serriously awesome people on boards.

Turn up, buy me beer, and I'll show you the ways of the boards beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Lol, hilarious! :D

Never been to one, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty cool putting faces to names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Ouch! :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBGh03nvkdU

Have been to a few, Theres some serriously awesome people on boards.

Turn up, buy me beer, and I'll show you the ways of the boards beers.

Can I come to Dublin to buy you a beer too? It's only a 400km return trip for me. I'd love to be shown the way & called "awesome". Please? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Can I come to Dublin to buy you a beer too? It's only a 400km return trip for me. I'd love to be shown the way & called "awesome". Please? :D

I'll Allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I was at one of those nights out. It was terrible everytime someone cracked a joke someone else would hold up a card that said 'lol' or had a smillie face on it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

(I can understand to a certain extent how specific areas of boards can arrange nights out because they have common interests eg Film, photography etc, so its really the "after hours" nights out etc that I find unusual.)

Did anyone regret going? Have any bad experiences?

Did peoples personality prove totally different to the ones they presented on boards?

Are nights out usually made up of single males looking to meet girls?

Is it just....nerds??

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned but its something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing at all.

In my experience of going for 5 years they are great, have met hundreds and nothing bad. have made some great friends, have gotten housemates etc.

Some people are as you expect, some are not. Generally they are nicer than you think. single males looking for girls no, a range of different people. Wish it was just nerds....and girls...and they had lab coats. Somebody told me I banned them before, I said, ok, that was about it for that. No need to feel uncomfortable...there are meetups on so many forums here for so many things and they are just other people, you get to know something about them before meeting them too, unlike with randomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bah! The beers nights are always over in Dublin, I don't go cuz I'd say they're crap for that very reason...

*sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Haven't been to one in 9 years!

But internet people are fecking great, plus you know you're going to have common ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've never had a bad experience. People are generally a bit nicer in real life, but a lot of that comes down to the fact that it's far easier to read somebody's tone face to face. Aside from that, 9 times out of 10, if you know somebody online, you could probably pick them out of a line up the minute they open their mouth.

It's not like meeting strangers. Even if it's not all a tight knit common interest group like film or whatever, everybody has some common touchstones and there's a sense of community right from the get-go. There's a good mix of people, and the ice is more or less already broken before you start. I don't think there's a particular "type" as such, but you can expect a good pace of banter generally.

I know one girl who moved from Australia to Portugal to live with a guy - happily for all concerned - and another couple who ended up very blissfully married after meeting through a board meetup, but even though that's on the extreme end of the spectrum, I think it's a lot less unusual now than it was even five years ago, and it's likely to be a lot more common in future.

I think that probably seems a bit weird if you think of the internet as a very distinct media tool, but with stuff like Facebook and Twitter it isn't really anymore, or it's not for me at least. If I'm going out for drinks, for instance, I'll text some of my friends and PM some of the others, it's not really a distinct thing for me anymore. I'm very close friends with people I initially met through forums, and they're friends with my other "real life" mates, same as you'd know some people from work and some people from school, for instance.

Doesn't cost me a thought, really. Never had a bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Had a cracker of a night out with some lads from Soccer last year. Great buzz between a load of like minded folk.

Also joined a football team through boards, played in a Soccer v Poker game, and went to a beers in Perth, Australia.

Give it a go OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Op, you seem like a social dynamite, I'd love to go out with you, say you'd be some buzz to be around.

I've met quite a few online in real life. Some proper and utter gob****es, one complete false ponsey git and some decent likeable people too, just like those I initially met in real life :)

Bare in mind sometimes it's in yor best interests to go with it and meet in fairness! Opportunities and all that jazz.

If I ever moved over to Dublin, i'd be at one straight away.. Not so much incentive living in Galway tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

OP, I'm sure they're safe. Well, boards is, cant say anything about Facebook or anything, but i'd say the worst that'd happen to ya on a boards night out is you'd get a creepy boards stalker who thanks all your posts and sends ya the odd PM. though, ya may get let in on all the "in-jokes"! *Shudder* ;)

Advertisement