Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Was delighted for Danny Cummins. He has always had the talent, but for some reason people put him down. Those two goals today were absolute class, both finished with a different foot, flat out on the run, left foot, right foot. Not many forwards can do that. Helped out in defence as well, MOTM for me and backing up a great game in the drawn match too.

Biggest difference in the team this year has been Conroy moving to midfield instead of big Fiontain O'C. Kyne coming in. Comer and Cummins are proper on form and can cause havoc. Brannigan is very good, Sice as well, but most importantly Shane Walsh will come good yet, he is still finding his feet, but come Croke Park he will be running into form and big spaces.

Delighted for them all, Mayo beaten, Connacht title won. Just cut loose now and give it a crack, it's been a successful year and big improvement.

Cummins finishing has been awful at times in the past which is why he never really won over the fans. Great at winning the ball, beating his man and then shooting wide. So frustrating. But he has been super clinical this year. At the moment, he's the player on this team that you want a goal chance to fall to!

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff. Always knew they had talent, just a matter of getting it to click. Delighted for maligned lads in the past like Gary O'D and Danny. Sice is one of the most underrated players in the country. Unreal, and a serious chance to get to an Semi and have a crack of whoevers there (Tyrone probably). Great to have something to look forward to at the end of race week also

Sice is a class act. He is a tremendous example to any young footballer. He has worked hard to constantly improve as a player. He had gotten every bit out of his talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Kyne is the real deal. That is all.

He has been very good but let's hold off on placing a crown on his head just yet. Bigger tests are yet to come.

But overall the new full back line have been a revelation and all credit to Kevin Walsh for placing his faith in lads who were untested at this level. So far they're repaying him in spades. Their tenacity and workrate is a joy to watch and if they keep that up this Galway team won't be easily beaten by anyone. Roscommon were a major disappointment though so let's not be getting carried away.

There was a time when the criticism of Cummins was probably justified. You could never question his attitude or his natural ability, he'd run all day and show for the ball time and again but the end product was lacking. Now he's developing into the player that he always threatened to be and hopefully he can keep it up.

His 2 goals were absolutely superb, a couple of years ago he'd have blazed at least one of those wide but it's indicative of the confidence that's flowing through the team now. For the second one he could have taken a handy point but the finish was emphatic. That's a sign of a player brimming with confidence.
    ]Another who deserves great praise is GOD, a much maligned player.
    I'll admit on him I wasn't convinced but I never had him on my critical radar like some had.

Another player who has improved massively. I'll admit I also wasn't his greatest fan when he first came on the scene and certainly didn't see him as a future centre back and captain but he has proved me and a lot of other people wrong.

Sice is a class act. He is a tremendous example to any young footballer. He has worked hard to constantly improve as a player. He had gotten every bit out of his talent.

In soccer terms I think he'd be called a great pro :-) A Gary Neville type who as you say has made the most out of the ability he has and rarely has a bad game. Not that he lacks ability but he's no Padraig Joyce or Michael Meehan and yet he has become a highly influential player on this team and probably one of our most consistent performers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Great win for the footballers yesterday! Gutted I couldn't go as I was up in Dublin. I thought we did more than enough to win the first game. First time seeing Kyne in the flesh and he really impressed me. Gutted I won't be around for the QF. Great chance to make a semi now.

Anyone know where I can pick up tickets for the hurling on Sunday? I got tickets for the Roscommon game in Supervalu but I'm pretty sure they just sponsor the football championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I usually get my Hurling tickets in my local Super-Valu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Can anyone tell me when Galway's quarter final is due to be played? Thought it was down for sat 30th of bank holiday weekend but there's double header between Donegal cork and mayo Westmeath on that Saturday. Will it be the Sunday then?

mjp wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when Galway's quarter final is due to be played? Thought it was down for sat 30th of bank holiday weekend but there's double header between Donegal cork and mayo Westmeath on that Saturday. Will it be the Sunday then?

On the Sunday as far I am aware. 31st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Who do we get in the quarter final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Who do we get in the quarter final?

Winners of Derry vs Tipp or Clare vs Roscommon. But only Clare in the second game. If Roscommon win it will be the winners of Derry vs Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

It's all coming to fruition lads.... beat Mayo and Roscommon in '98, beat Derry in the semi. Granted, Kildare are gone so that's where the comparison comes to a halt :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

If tipp and clare both win one of them have to play Kerry but both have played them already so don't know what Gaa will do in that instance. Would fancy clare and Derry to come through next weekends matches so be a galway clare match up and Derry and Kerry in other quarter. Could be Mayo or Tyrone in semi final then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If tipp and clare both win one of them have to play Kerry but both have played them already so don't know what Gaa will do in that instance. Would fancy clare and Derry to come through next weekends matches so be a galway clare match up and Derry and Kerry in other quarter. Could be Mayo or Tyrone in semi final then.

Heaven forbid but a Galway v Mayo All-Ireland semi-final is not out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Theres no restriction on Clare playing Kerry. Needs to be a provincial final. It seems quite likely that we'll get the toughest of the 3, Derry tbh. We've a superb record against them though, would be somewhat confident

Heaven forbid but a Galway v Mayo All-Ireland semi-final is not out of the question.

Would be a great spectacle. But god, Mayo would be fired up for that more than any other match ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Would be a great spectacle. But god, Mayo would be fired up for that more than any other match ever!

It's a scary thought but then you think back to all those times Kerry met Cork in Croker where you thought Cork had a better side but Kerry always kept them at bay. On the big stage, the historically bigger more powerful sibling will win out! Thats what i'd be hoping at least :o

Would really fancy Mayo to get over Tyrone. Mayo's record against northern sides is supreme

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Theres no restriction on Clare playing Kerry. Needs to be a provincial final. It seems quite likely that we'll get the toughest of the 3, Derry tbh. We've a superb record against them though, would be somewhat confident

They gave one of the worst performances of the year(against Tyrone?) on top of a dismal league and then barely beat Cavan who played most of the game with 14 men.

Realistically Clare would prob be more dangerous coming off a roll, or if Tipp can put together another Cork performance or elements of the Kerry game where they had a decent start and mini revival in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

I'd love to play Mayo in a semi final, as to get to a semi would be an amazing achievement. I hope the team are not thinking like me though as whomever they face, Derry, Tipperary or Clare all present different difficult challenges
    We have a monkey on our back as well having not won a match in croke park for 15 years.

The team have exceeded my expectations. I had no hope of us beating mayo in castlebar and hoped we might get to croker via qualifiers and win one game there. Now we are in the 1/4s and while we must respect any future opposition, we should fear no one. Very exciting times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

So would Galway !

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Such a great win on Sunday! After all that was written and spoke about the players not available and the lack of progress seen in the league, this has far exceeded any of our expectations.

It's so good to see the players playing so well and with such confidence, also the work rate of the players has increased significantly and it's good to see them working hard for each other too, shows a great team bond!

I think the win against Mayo has given them bucket loads of belief. I hope that the they can see a big opportunity now to win a game in Croke Park for the first time in 15 years and get to an All-Ireland semi-final. I think we have taken a big step forward this year and there is a chance to take a few more steps too!

Hopefully with that and getting some players back next year, we can get promoted to Division 1 and kick on again too. Exciting times ahead!

• Advertisement

Megager wrote: »
    I'd love to play Mayo in a semi final, as to get to a semi would be an amazing achievement. I hope the team are not thinking like me though as whomever they face, Derry, Tipperary or Clare all present different difficult challenges
    We have a monkey on our back as well having not won a match in croke park for 15 years.

The team have exceeded my expectations. I had no hope of us beating mayo in castlebar and hoped we might get to croker via qualifiers and win one game there. Now we are in the 1/4s and while we must respect any future opposition, we should fear no one. Very exciting times

Yes, so would I to a point. It would be nice to play somebody different for a change though.

I never understand the logic of people saying "oh that is a good draw for us" when their team avoids a top team. I go to club matches almost every week, go to Galway matches all through the year. I want to see the players I watch so much throughout the year come up against the likes of Brogan & Connolly from Dublin, or, Cavanagh & Donnelly from Tyrone, or O'Donoghue & Cooper from Kerry etc. I want to see them pit themselves against the best in the country. In a way, I am a little disappointed that we are playing one of Tipp, Clare & Derry in the QF. As they havent been prominent in recent years, I would probably struggle to name 15 of out the 45 that will start for them in their next match. And I have no idea of their individual strengths. But with the likes of Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone - they have so much exposure that you know their strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just a heads up lads. Go Pearse Stadium for tickets for Sunday. Much better than tickets.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Just a heads up lads. Go Pearse Stadium for tickets for Sunday. Much better than tickets.ie.

sure Salthill will be thronged :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Yes, so would I to a point. It would be nice to play somebody different for a change though.

I never understand the logic of people saying "oh that is a good draw for us" when their team avoids a top team. I go to club matches almost every week, go to Galway matches all through the year. I want to see the players I watch so much throughout the year come up against the likes of Brogan & Connolly from Dublin, or, Cavanagh & Donnelly from Tyrone, or O'Donoghue & Cooper from Kerry etc. I want to see them pit themselves against the best in the country. In a way, I am a little disappointed that we are playing one of Tipp, Clare & Derry in the QF. As they havent been prominent in recent years, I would probably struggle to name 15 of out the 45 that will start for them in their next match. And I have no idea of their individual strengths. But with the likes of Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone - they have so much exposure that you know their strengths.

I'd be happy for us to take on Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Donegal but Tyrone would just be a suffocation. It's the one team I think we'd really struggle with because they'd be quite happy to shut up shop and win a game 2pts to 1. Donegal showed against us last year that they're not capable of doing that in Croke Park anymore and the other 3 would actually go toe to toe so they'd be good games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Let's see can the hurlers do us proud on Sunday. Heading to Thurles with the family so that's 4 wexford jerseys and myself, so will have an interest in all the matches. Will be a long day so hopefully the weather is decent and we get some cracking matches with the right result of course. G'wan Galway.

How do you mean?
    Better seats??

• Advertisement

Yep. Got decent covered seats on the 65 for new stand whereas tickets.ie are corner. For 30 you'd want a decent spot.

Yep. Got decent covered seats on the 65 for new stand whereas tickets.ie are corner. For 30 you'd want a decent spot.
    Great to know. When will tickets be available?

There till Friday. Close at 5.

There till Friday. Close at 5.
    Didn't even know they were available yet as they weren't on tickets.ie

Thoughts on Sunday?

Hard to be too confident but it's difficult to see Galway being a lifeless as Limerick were against Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Thoughts on Sunday?

Hard to be too confident but it's difficult to see Galway being a lifeless as Limerick were against Clare.

Hard to know. A lot of people tipped Clare as all Ireland candidates at start of year, though I have to be honest and say I didn't see it. I think we looked lifeless in second half v Kilkenny and if we play like that Clare with out work us and beat us. If we are at our best and canning at the top of his game, then we could do it, but if we are below par we will be beaten. I'd say Clare are confident and think Galway will provide a decent test of their real title credentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Thoughts on Sunday?

Hard call it , so Galway by two.confused.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Where's the handiest place to park in salt hill lads? Going to the Clare match today and know Galway fairly well but was never in pearse stadium before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Where's the handiest place to park in salt hill lads? Going to the Clare match today and know Galway fairly well but was never in pearse stadium before.

Oranmore,it's the greatest hoare of a place to get in or out of on match days even the club finals are a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I said wrote: »
    Oranmore,it's the greatest hoare of a place to get in or out of on match days even the club finals are a disaster.

I'm not going walking from oranmore!

If you get up before 2pm you should find some spots in the Aquarium carpark. My honest suggestion would be to go to Westside, go towards Spiddal direction and park in Joyces. No fear of clamping, you can beat a lot of traffic by using the Western Distributor Road and it's about 10 minutes from the ground.

Team announced for tomorrow.

Seems to be the same 15 as the LF.

Not going to pick individuals out and say he should start or he shouldn't, of which there's at least two, but what I will say is we can't just keep picking players in the same system.

Id prefer to see a Andy Smyth come in for a forward and play with 5 since we seem to play with 5 while we're man to man in a sparse defence.... We look like a team being a man down currently.

Either that or a basic one man sweeper sitting behind the HB line so we stop looking so open in defence.

David Burke going to HF is also another option and Smyth coming in, though that kind of correlates to the third midfielder option.

I think we need to change something anyway as not just against KK, but even against Cork in the relegation play off, we look so open at the back and so crowded out up front that something needs to change.... At the very least they need to work on finding a short pass or two in defence before launching it to our forwards.

The selection, lack of change from league to LF, would suggest we haven't learned anything and we're going to continue on.... So frustrating, similar to KW not getting the kick out strategy the top 2/3 use in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Not going to pick individuals out and say he should start or he shouldn't, of which there's at least two, but what I will say is we can't just keep picking players in the same system.

Id prefer to see a Andy Smyth come in for a forward and play with 5 since we seem to play with 5 while we're man to man in a sparse defence.... We look like a team being a man down currently.

Either that or a basic one man sweeper sitting behind the HB line so we stop looking so open in defence.

David Burke going to HF is also another option and Smyth coming in, though that kind of correlates to the third midfielder option.

I think we need to change something anyway as not just against KK, but even against Cork in the relegation play off, we look so open at the back and so crowded out up front that something needs to change.... At the very least they need to work on finding a short pass or two in defence before launching it to our forwards.

The selection, lack of change from league to LF, would suggest we haven't learned anything and we're going to continue on.... So frustrating, similar to KW not getting the kick out strategy the top 2/3 use in football.

I doubt they will line out as expected though - presume Gearoid Mc is starting due to his physical presence to follow john conlon. reckon daithi burke will act as our sweeper when tony kelly goes roaming

Galway bay hotel - fairly near pearse, handy if you want a drink / food, secure parking that's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Galway bay hotel - fairly near pearse, handy if you want a drink / food, secure parking that's free.

They were refusing non-guests for the Connacht final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

There won't be 10,000 at the game. You could park on the prom with all that will be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Can't understand why Jason Flynn isn't starting this year. He was one of our best performers last year and offers a really good alternative on the freetaking if Joe is having an off-day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Totally agree. Can't keep picking the same team and system and expect different results. This was the chance for mgmt to put their own shape on things and they've passed up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

So Galway play either Tipperary or Clare
    If Derry beat Tipp we play Clare & Derry play Kerry
    If Tipp beat Derry we play Tipp & Clare play Kerry

It'll be a disaster if we don't break the winless run in Croker now.

Playing a team who've lost by 10+ plus to Kerry now either way.

Need to put either of them away or it'll end up being the worst of the last 15 years.

wp_rathead wrote:
    So Galway play either Tipperary or Clare If Derry beat Tipp we play Clare & Derry play Kerry If Tipp beat Derry we play Tipp & Clare play Kerry

Only provincial finals can't be repeated in quarter finals. So if Derry win I think it's a draw.

Minors got off to an easy start. On paper they've a quality team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Only provincial finals can't be repeated in quarter finals. So if Derry win I think it's a draw.

Oh maybe, I thought because Kerry played Clare already meant couldn't play again unless clashing with a provincial final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I don't think that's right, I think the rule is if one of the provincial champions has already met one of the qualifiers in an earlier match then those two teams cannot be drawn together.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote:
    I don't think that's right, I think the rule is if one of the provincial champions has already met one of the qualifiers in an earlier match then those two teams cannot be drawn together.

I'm 100% sure if Clare and Derry win it's a draw. It's only provincial finals they stop repeating in quarter finals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement