Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'Arcy asks MD of Radio to remove Nuacht - MOD NOTE #76

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

cbreeze wrote: »
    Good idea. All Nuacht programmes should be removed from RTE Radio 1. There is a perfectly good Irish language radio station which is specially for this minority interest group
    nonsense. it should stay. its our national and native language and it has a right to be there on the main stations of the national broadcaster. if you don't like it turn off for the couple of minutes its on

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Looks like Ray has got his way

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Looks like Ray has got his way

It has just moved from 3.30 to 4pm.
    After the 3pm news, the reader said that the next news in English on this channel is at 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Csalem

I thought I was going mad today because I was half listening to the show and I thought Nuacht hadn't happened, but when I looked at clock it was 15:40. Didn't think he would be that late with it and I must have missed it. Glad to know I am not totally mad and it has only moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well fair play to him. What an absolute waste of three minutes. Ray Darcy has moved up a notch in my estimation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

bbability wrote: »
    Well fair play to him. What an absolute waste of three minutes. Ray Darcy has moved up a notch in my estimation.

Personally I'd find the other 87 minutes on both sides of that three minutes to be the real waste of time.

There's a fairly heated Irish language hate thread somewhere around here which keeps popping up about and you might find yourself at home at with some mindless narrow minded venting. If three minutes of news in Irish during an absolute heap of muck show upsets you that much I'd say there's a bit of something else going on with you. Relax, it's three minutes you could've switched off, over or just thought about what you are going to make for dinner that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Personally I'd find the other 87 minutes on both sides of that three minutes to be the real waste of time.

There's a fairly heated Irish language hate thread somewhere around here which keeps popping up about and you might find yourself at home at with some mindless narrow minded venting. If three minutes of news in Irish during an absolute heap of muck show upsets you that much I'd say there's a bit of something else going on with you. Relax, it's three minutes you could've switched off, over or just thought about what you are going to make for dinner that night.

Well said... He'll demand they rename the station RTI next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

And down a notch in mine.

He seems to be perceived in RTÉ as a star, a rating that I certainly would not grant him. And he uses this inflated value to venture into the realm of deciding station policy. That's egotistical, and I think RTÉ management were wrong to give way to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

finally we agree on something :) It's win-win as I see it. Ray gets an hour to do his thing and Nuacht gets a proper on the hour news slot. Everyone should be happy now :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

To:
    Mr. Jennings (Director of Radio) and Mr. McGuire (Head of Radio 1)

CC: other useless/frustrated clipboard holding, superannuated 'creatives'

Howye lads,
    Is there any chance you could drop or move the aul nooocht at half tree? It's a feckin' nightmare. Meself, the wife and Willy just can't handle it. We've tried everyting - speakin' fast, talkin' slow and nuttin is workin'. We tried a stopwatch but the mouse ate it. I'm tearin' wha's left a me hair out here! It's even affectin' me runs in de mornin'. Even Kate an' Tom can see dere's sometin' wrong.
    Some udder producer said maybe I should stop me monologues at de top of de show but ,jaysus, no whey! Everywan luves dem.

C'mon lads. Do de write ting,

Ray, de wife an' manservant Will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Expunge wrote: »

To:
    Mr. Jennings (Director of Radio) and Mr. McGuire (Head of Radio 1)

CC: other useless/frustrated clipboard holding, superannuated 'creatives'

Howye lads,
    Is there any chance you could drop or move the aul nooocht at half tree? It's a feckin' nightmare. Meself, the wife and Willy just can't handle it. We've tried everyting - speakin' fast, talkin' slow and nuttin is workin'. We tried a stopwatch but the mouse ate it. I'm tearin' wha's left a me hair out here! It's even affectin' me runs in de mornin'. Even Kate an' Tom can see dere's sometin' wrong.
    Some udder producer said maybe I should stop me monologues at de top of de show but ,jaysus, no whey! Everywan luves dem.

C'mon lads. Do de write ting,

Ray, de wife an' manservant Will

P.S. I'll be looking for ye to do away with the silly bongs at 12 and 6 pm next....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Isn't the black box in the tail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Fair play, in fairness.

The Nuacht is a block that has no importance being placed in a daytime radio show, especially when a mere twist of the dial or the push of a button gives you a national, dedicated Irish language radio station. To be honest, I don't think it fits.
    I do understand why it is put on RTE One, but not on Radio One. The same goes for 2fm.

As much as I would agree with the Angelus being removed from the broadcaster, for secular reasons, I think that this is a positive move from RTE One. If the Angelus was removed, there would be uproar and petitions; note how there are none for the removal/moving of the Nuacht? Says a lot really.

I think people are getting more upset that this was moved, in part, thanks to Ray D'arcy, rather than that it was moved at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

I don't particularly want or need the Nuacht on R1 either, but they moved it in the week RTE launched a new Irish language initiative where they intend to ramp up the amount of Irish language bulletins (and other things) on R1 and 2FM.

So they roll over due to D'arcy's (and his production team's) poor skills and drop the English language bulletin!
    To me that beggars belief. The flagship speech and news station (paid for by you and me) now goes 1 hour and 58 minutes without a scheduled news bulletin in the middle of the afternoon.
    We can hear about smelling and licking stamps instead.

Jeeesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I was always a bit of a neutral when it came to Ray. I wasn't mad about him but didn't trully detest him either. I think that's starting to turn now. I haven't heard the clip but if he had a problem with An Nuacht he should have aired his views to management behind the scenes. That'd be the proper thing to do.

Having heard his views I think Management should have told him that his views would be taken into consideration when news scheduling was next being planned.

Instead we get an uppity little bollox losing his shít on air by all accounts and complaining to management. Management then move the timeslot of a news service to accomodate his peevishness. It's very disrespectful to the Irish news team and very disrespectful to listeners as well.

What D'Arcy needs to remember is that he has to be nice to those he meets on the way up because they'll be there when he's on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

D'Arcy must know where the bodies are buried if this is the way a man with such little talent can hold so much power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Kanye was right: No one man should have all that power.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

D'Arcy must know where the bodies are buried if this is the way a man with such little talent can hold so much power

Well he's incredibly talented...compared to Joe Bluffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

This is the Radio Forum?

Here's the TV Thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057498546&page=37

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

There's no need for Nuacht when there's an Irish station on the radio too.
    It's just annoying to hear 3 or 4 minutes of babble, the same on Newstalk every half hour with their Gaeilge Gasta crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    There's no need for Nuacht when there's an Irish station on the radio too.
    It's just annoying to hear 3 or 4 minutes of babble, the same on Newstalk every half hour with their Gaeilge Gasta crap.

maybe, but is the Irish language something worth getting annoyed about? How do you feel about those Harvey Norman ads or any of the very repetitive and very frequent painful ads newstalk have on? I'm not particularly fond of them but I just close my ears for the short period they are on. Doesn't look like the issue is you feeling that its not necessary, more down to you not understanding something which is your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Those ads are annoying too. I understand some of it, I don't understand why it's on.

Advertisement