Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MKIV Set visits Connolly

Options
  • 19-02-2015 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

As part of the project to clear MKIV sets for the Belfast Line, set 4001 was sent over to Connolly on Wednesday evening to Gauge Test Drumcondra and Platforms 2, 3, 4, 5 at Connolly. This upload also has a few images from Portarlington & Heuston earlier in the evening.

Click http://smu.gs/1zoFzvW to view.

The Wanderer.

DSC_0771-M.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I am a little confused - surely the MKIV sets can't cross the border due to the lack of TPWS? And it's hardly likely that Louth will trouble Croke Park soon. What's the point of this exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

GAA + concert specials

Now cleared for Tralee, Limerick also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thought the Mk4s were cleared into all Connolly platforms years ago during bogie the ride modifications carried out at the Vallet plant?

Hungerford wrote: »
    I am a little confused - surely the MKIV sets can't cross the border due to the lack of TPWS?

Once a 0310 201 is hauling the set it has TPWS at the loco end anyway. Just the DVT needs the system installed. Looking at how quick they fitted it to 6 ICR cabs it does not seem to be a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Once a 0310 201 is hauling the set it has TPWS at the loco end anyway. Just the DVT needs the system installed. Looking at how quick they fitted it to 6 ICR cabs it does not seem to be a big job.

Drumcondra and Connolly were cleared years ago for empty sets but never for passenger use which requires distance between train and platform/carriage step height measured.

A set will be gauged to/from Malahide later this week with Dundalk to follow in due course.

GM228

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

good. they should have been cleared years ago so the ICRS could stay on galway/limerick/westport/waterford/rosslare/sligo/tralee routes where they belong

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Any updates on progress along the Northern Suburban line? Also will she be pulled in at the sidings at Malahide, additional platform at Clongriffen, and Skerries? Would be great if any of running was in daylight.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Any updates on progress along the Northern Suburban line? Also will she be pulled in at the sidings at Malahide, additional platform at Clongriffen, and Skerries? Would be great if any of running was in daylight.

All gauging will be done at night, Malahide tonight and next week will see Pearse, Docklands and Drogheda cleared (yes that's correct Docklands will be cleared).

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

good. they should have been cleared years ago so the ICRS could stay on galway/limerick/westport/waterford/rosslare/sligo/tralee routes where they belong
    That's funny because there is an observation/opinion here which I long suspected before the DD refit began: 22s are suited to the Belfast run from a performance standpoint - http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/reply/59783/Enterprise-Watch#reply-59783

It will be interesting to see if the reason for this course change comes out. After all, Mark 4s could have been the call from day one saving the need to do the 22 requalification runs a year ago. Between this and Tralee there has clearly been a disturbance in the Force.

dowlingm wrote: »
    That's funny because there is an observation/opinion here which I long suspected before the DD refit began: 22s are suited to the Belfast run from a performance standpoint - http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/reply/59783/Enterprise-Watch#reply-59783

It will be interesting to see if the reason for this course change comes out. After all, Mark 4s could have been the call from day one saving the need to do the 22 requalification runs a year ago. Between this and Tralee there has clearly been a disturbance in the Force.
    oh definitely. i think they have finally realized they should be clearing their diesel trains for as much of the network as possible. in saying that, they won't be down the WRC, the sligo line, or the bottom of the pile lines like rosslare/lj waterford, not that they would be needed anyway, at this stage.

• Advertisement

oh definitely. i think they have finally realized they should be clearing their diesel trains for as much of the network as possible. in saying that, they won't be down the WRC, the sligo line, or the bottom of the pile lines like rosslare/lj waterford, not that they would be needed anyway, at this stage.

Don't speak too soon, more routes are on the cards.

GM228

GM228 wrote: »
    Don't speak too soon, more routes are on the cards.

GM228
    201s aren't allowed go south of arklow or longford though i thought.

201s aren't allowed go south of arklow or longford though i thought.

201s are cleared to Sligo and one visited Sligo two years ago.

GM228

GM228
    oh right i never knew that. i know one did apparently visit rosslare via wellington bridge with severe restrictions and i think another went south of arklow under restrictions

oh right i never knew that. i know one did apparently visit rosslare via wellington bridge with severe restrictions and i think another went south of arklow under restrictions

Only one 201 as far as I know operated to Rosslare (Strand) whilst working a Waterford-Dublin cement a few years ago when there was engineering works affecting the normal route, as far as I know special dispensation was given as the 201 was required back in Dublin. Not sure of any other occassion.

A few years ago a 201 Push-Pull was allowed to operate between Waterford-Limerick Jnc on a Knock special, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

GM228

Only one 201 as far as I know operated to Rosslare (Strand) whilst working a Waterford-Dublin cement a few years ago when there was engineering works affecting the normal route, as far as I know special dispensation was given as the 201 was required back in Dublin. Not sure of any other occassion.

A few years ago a 201 Push-Pull was allowed to operate between Waterford-Limerick Jnc on a Knock special, perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

GM228
    no not that as i didn't know about the waterford lj operation. did that 201 from rosslare go back to dublin via the DSE?

no not that as i didn't know about the waterford lj operation. did that 201 from rosslare go back to dublin via the DSE?

It did indeed, Waterford-Rosslare Strand-Dublin. 227 on 17.9.05.

GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Knowing Irish Rail's history of using inappropriate vechicles on routes, they'll probably use it to supplement DART services...

GM228

I'm reliably informed that 227 was on the Rosslare line twice, it worked a passenger train to the Europort late 90s/early 00s due to an 071 failure (it was at Shelton off an Ammonia), and also 234 worked a gauging run mid 90s hauled by a 141.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

GM228

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20171/171%20Drumsna.htm

Think the Drumsna bridge replacement a few years ago now allows for 201s on the Sligo line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

GM228

GM228 would you take offence if I queried that?
    Very trivial of me I know...

GM228

GM228 would you take offence if I queried that date?

GM228 would you take offence if I queried that date?

There was engineering works at Thomastown viaduct and also on Waterford-Limerick Jnc line so 227 was used to work the 15.20 Cement via Rosslare Strand (vice 2x141) as the 201 was required in Inchicore.

Just realised I have 17.9.05, that should be 17.9.04.

GM228

There was engineering works at Thomastown viaduct and also on Waterford-Limerick Jnc line so 227 was used to work the 15.20 Cement via Rosslare Strand (vice 2x141) as the 201 was required in Inchicore.

Just realised I have 17.9.05, that should be 17.9.04.

GM228

I thought it was late 2003/early 2004 when the 201 crossed the South Wexford line due to the Cahir viaduct crash in Oct 2003 and CTC being rolled out and commissioned on the Waterford line early 2004 hence the 2 lines were closed.

I could be totally wrong now.

During this period the Beet traffic went via Kildare in late 2003 and the cement traffic for Waterford came from Platin instead of Castlemungret down the DSE and across the South Wexford line in early 2004.

I thought it was late 2003/early 2004 when the 201 crossed the South Wexford line due to the Cahir viaduct crash in Oct 2003 and CTC being rolled out and commissioned on the Waterford line early 2004 hence the 2 lines were closed.

I could be totally wrong now.

The Cahir collapse had no affect on the Cements as they ran via Kilkenny as normal, they did run via Rosslare Strand during the mini-CTC work early 2004 and again a few months later for the Thomastown Viaduct work, the Thomastown Viaduct closure is when 227 was used.

GM228

All gauging will be done at night, Malahide tonight and next week will see Pearse, Docklands and Drogheda cleared (yes that's correct Docklands will be cleared).

GM228

Drogheda will be cleared for MkIVs this Sunday night I believe and I'm reliably informed that a daytime test run to Dundalk will operate some day next week enabling some photographic opportunities.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Evening all,

Last Wednesday, a MKIV set made another visit to Connolly and down the Newcomen Branch to Docklands.
    Click http://smu.gs/1FH9MtO to view.

The Wanderer.

DSC_1014-M.jpg

I see there are using a full 8 piece set for the testing, looked like a tight fit in Docklands station. Compared to other Mk4 set that returned to traffic last week or so that is a 7 piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

2x8pce and 3x7pce sets currently operating.

As 8 is the standard formation all testing should be carried out with an 8 car set. Half a coach and loco off platform at Docklands.

Advertisement