Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Free Agency 2015 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

More rumours emerging about Peyton Manning - Manning met Elway last Monday after which Manning's camp suggested that everything was on course for his return. Everything has gone completely quiet since. Suggestions are now emerging that Elway asked for something that Manning is baulking at - be that a paycut / restructured contract or something to do with the running and control of the offence. A decision has to be made by March 5th when Manning's $19million becomes guaranteed and there are now emerging rumours that if Manning doesn't accept the terms outlined by Elway, the Broncos will void Manning's contract on medical grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I'd guess Manning is not happy about not having as much input in the offense. Can't be about the money he's a multi millionaire and will have lots of earning potential after he retires

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hello Tennessee....

Broncos will meet former Eagle TE/FB John Casey on Thursday. Casey was released by Eagles last week. Kubiak has stated that he wants a FB on the roster for his ZBS scheme and Casey would fit the bill. Casey was drafted by Kubiak in Houston in 5th round in 2009 (so he knows the Kubiak offence) before signing a three year $14million deal with the Eagles in 2013. He is also scheduled to meet with the Cardinals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Anyone know if theres truth to the rumors that Orlando Franklin has been released by the Broncos? he'd be a great pickup for the Jets if they could get him

phatkev wrote: »
    Anyone know if theres truth to the rumors that Orlando Franklin has been released by the Broncos? he'd be a great pickup for the Jets if they could get him

Franklin is a free agent - the latest is that Franklin and Terence Knighton have both confirmed they will not be returning to the Broncos and will be concluding deals with other teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who is going to replace Knighton?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Suh is in tennessee! visiting his agent who lives in Memphis.

Wouldnt be keen to get him given his cost anyway

Suh and Casey on the same line would be a scary thing, but I think the Lions pay him the big bucks. I think if the Titans dont go QB at number 2, they will surely take Leonard Williams who would also cause major havoc along with Casey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Would not mind seeing the Jags make a move for Orange Julius. We've got a good core of WRs coming along, and with Justin Blackmon looking at reinstatement this offseason the only thing we're missing is a good pass catching TE. Marcedes Lewis was solid but he's become more of a hinderence than a boost the last 12 months.

Seems Thomas rejected a 5yr $40m contract from the Broncos as he wasnt happy with how the guarantees were structured. Id take him in Jacksonville on that sort of contract happily. Could really be beneficial to have someone of his abilities catching passes from Bortles :)

Suh and Casey on the same line would be a scary thing, but I think the Lions pay him the big bucks. I think if the Titans dont go QB at number 2, they will surely take Leonard Williams who would also cause major havoc along with Casey

Yep, expect that cash is used at OLB and DT/De is Williams rather than paying Suh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Jacoby Jones now a free agent

Was an absolute hero in the Superbowl

Did very little last year and was never a reliable reciever, deserved to be cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

AJ Hawk cut by Green Bay..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

thats hawk and jones gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Packers will surely target an MLB early in the draft now. Kendricks, Perryman, McKinney and Anthony all in play I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Reggie Bush cut by the Lions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Benimar wrote: »
    Reggie Bush cut by the Lions

I'm on my phone in bed and read a headline out loud in a slightly surprised tone a few minutes ago - “Reggie Bush was released.“

The girlfriend — feigning interest God bless her — casually asked "what was he in prison for?“ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

Paully D wrote: »
    Packers will surely target an MLB early in the draft now. Kendricks, Perryman, McKinney and Anthony all in play I'd imagine.

Who do reckon will fall to us, I say kendricks and McKinney will be gone but Perryman looks like a good run stuffer but is smallish. The last mlb ye signed from the U didn't turn out to bad.

Multiples sources are now suggesting that the Broncos and Manning are working on a restructured contract. It appears that Manning wants the guaranteed money for next season converted into a signing bonus with voided years tagged to the end of the contract to give the Broncos cap space - however, Elway has shown that he does not like to carry any dead money on the cap and appears to want the restructure to include in part a straight up pay cut.

Either way a deal really has to be done by next Thursday which is the deadline for Manning's physical and the last date that the Broncos can void the contract on medical grounds. After that the Broncos would have to cut Manning which is something neither side wants to see happening.

cosatron wrote: »
    Who do reckon will fall to us, I say kendricks and McKinney will be gone but Perryman looks like a good run stuffer but is smallish. The last mlb ye signed from the U didn't turn out to bad.

To be honest, at the moment I think the Packers might be able to take their pick of the ILB's with pick #30. One might be gone, and that would be Kendricks if anyone IMO, but as things stand I doubt two go before Green Bay.

• Advertisement

its not a need at all and would possibly be a stupid pick but it'd be cool to see the eagles draft kendricks and pair him with his brother on the inside similar reason i though it would be cool for us to draft travis kelce a few years ago

Josh McCown on the verge of signing for the Bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Josh McCown on the verge of signing for the Bills

They needed something at QB as all they have currently is EJ Manuel & he looks to be pretty much a bust. I would expect them to Ðraft a mid round QB like Petty or Grayson to push Manuel for the back up role. Since no-one there is tied to him I'd guess his days are numbered.

Rumours emerging that Manning will agree to a restructured contract but want the Broncos to use the money to re-sign Julius Thomas.

Interesting if accurate - I would have thought, given he is 39 years old, that Manning would have been far more interested in getting an OL that could protect him. The Broncos need 3 new linemen and he wants to waste $10million on a TE that won't block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

He's thrown 24 touchdowns to Thomas in 27 games, it's hardly surprising he wants to keep him around.

He's thrown 24 touchdowns to Thomas in 27 games, it's hardly surprising he wants to keep him around.

Not surprising at all - the problem is that Kubiak is implementing a WCO with a ZBS running scheme. It requires an overhaul of the OL, it requires a TE that can block and the receiving TE does not have a major role in it (particularly as the TE has to be able to block in the red zone before peeling off as a receiver). Thomas can catch the ball but avoids contact like the plague and the reason why he is only good in the end zone is because he doesn't get the same level of contact in the end zone. It is not that Thomas can't block, it's that he won't block (and has stated that he has no interest in contact) - if he did he would be one of the best ever.

Rumours emerging that Manning will agree to a restructured contract but want the Broncos to use the money to re-sign Julius Thomas.

Peter King was reporting the same in his MMQB piece last Monday:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/23/tampa-bay-buccaneers-jameis-winston-peter-king-nfl-combine-draft/6/
    The most interesting development recently concerning the 2015 free-agency class is the acknowledgment in Denver that there’s a legitimate chance the Broncos don’t want to pay tight end Julius Thomas fair market value for his services. Thomas’ agent, veteran contract negotiator Frank Bauer, told the Denver Post on Friday that he felt the Broncos were “pushing him away” after Thomas declined the team’s offer of five years and $40 million. I’m not eager to defend or attack the offer, but want to address the effect of what this will mean if the Broncos choose to let Thomas walk.

Peyton Manning loves Julius Thomas. I thought that Thomas’ high-ankle sprain midway through the season really helped doom the Denver offensive attack because it took away Manning’s most significant weapon in the intermediate part of the field. Thomas had 24 touchdown catches over the past two seasons. Losing that kind of security blanket for a quarterback, especially one with an arm showing signs of decline, would be a huge blow. And because Denver also has to pony up big money for another Manning target, wideout Demaryius Thomas, I don’t think football czar John Elway will go much higher for Julius Thomas.

Just think: Two of the most important people over Manning’s past two prolific seasons have been offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Julius Thomas. Now both could be gone. Manning hates change. And if Julius Thomas does not return, I can tell you Manning is going to hate that.

The Broncos have been very quiet about whatever negotiations are happening to try to convince Manning to take a little less than the $19 million he is scheduled to earn in 2015. I wonder if part of Elway’s sales pitch to Manning will be that if Manning took a little less, then Elway could offer Julius Thomas a little more. This is a situation that bears watching over the next two weeks as the league prepares for free agency.

Paully D wrote: »

What King doesn't talk about is tha Thomas was fit enough to play two weeks after the injury but kept saying that he wasn't '100%' - that was what led Elway to pull the offer on the table.

On top of tha Thomas's father went in a rant attacking Broncos fans and basically accusing the Broncos FO of racism.

The WCO of Kubiak is completely different to the normal Manning offence and does not require a receiving TE in the mould of JT - it requires a blocking TE who can catch an occasional pass in the mould of Virgil Green.

The only way there is an outside chance of Thomas returning is if Bay-Bay signs a long term deal and the Broncos franchise JT - I can't see Elway giving JT a long term deal when Manning will, at best, have one more year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What King doesn't talk about is tha Thomas was fit enough to play two weeks after the injury but kept saying that he wasn't '100%' - that was what led Elway to pull the offer on the table.

On top of tha Thomas's father went in a rant attacking Broncos fans and basically accusing the Broncos FO of racism.

The WCO of Kubiak is completely different to the normal Manning offence and does not require a receiving TE in the mould of JT - it requires a blocking TE who can catch an occasional pass in the mould of Virgil Green.

The only way there is an outside chance of Thomas returning is if Bay-Bay signs a long term deal and the Broncos franchise JT - I can't see Elway giving JT a long term deal when Manning will, at best, have one more year.
    Can you put up links to where it was reported that Thomas did not play for two weeks and claimed he wasn't 100% and also for where his father went on a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Harry Douglas and Brian Hartline released.

Between FA and the draft class there are decent receivers on tap this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

eagle eye wrote: »
    Can you put up links to where it was reported that Thomas did not play for two weeks and claimed he wasn't 100% and also for where his father went on a rant.

This is the apparent rant here:
    You losers need to quit…..BLACK OPPORTUNITIES MATTER!!!

Looks like John Elway has his henchmen are working overtime. Glad to see so many “so called” Bronco sFans showing their true colors. It’ll be totally classic to see him come back to Denver in Silver & Black and rip the Broncos and their loser fans a new one. This kid has beaten all the odds. You losers have been knocking him since he got drafted, screaming, “he’s a nobody, he didn’t play against anybody, he’s soft, he can’t do this, he can’t do that,” and all he did was prove every critic wrong along the way. When he was setting NFL records all you losers were on his £!€¥.

Just a little Truth:

1. Julius Thomas has not confided in any of his teammates his intentions, desires or goals related to football. He’s only close to two NFL players and that’s Knowshon Moreno and Virgil Green. Knowshon was hated by Elway and Peyton. You see how he got screwed by the Broncos.

2. He had to see a Dr. outside of the organization to get an honest evaluation on his ankle. Just like the 1st time he hurt his ankle.

3. Coach Fox begged him to play when they knew his ankle was hurt so they could keep defenses honest. It was the only way they would have a chance to get a bye in the playoffs. He was only out there as a decoy for a few of games, yet he gets knocked for his production and not playing hurt.

4. He nor his representatives have ever made a statement about demanding to be paid like anyone else. His Agent is very experienced and knows his ability and the market conditions will bear his value. Just like any commodity.

5. The Broncos offered him a piss poor contract before the season. Then said they don’t negotiate after camp starts. Then during camp and during the season they offered him piss poor contracts with no guarantees. Then he is expected to take a chance on ruining his ankle to please people who haven’t shown him any loyalty? Really?

Reality: A young black man has a chance to get a decent contract and some merciless losers try to attack him with false stories and negative comments. At the same time they are swinging on Peyton’s nuts. But noone is attacking him (Peyton) for being greedy, selfish, unloyal, and overpaid. No one is attacking Peyton for being a one dimensional player, a liability, lacking in numerous areas, etc, etc.

Last I checked this was a business. If he would have destroyed his ankle “for the team” Elway would have dropped him this offseason with the quickness, like a piece of rotten meat. Go get paid young man, go get paid. It’s only in America where people want to destroy another man’s sport unity because it doesn’t please them.

BLACK OPPORTUNITIES MATTER

He doesn't directly say racism but it is one of those pieces if true you can take it either way. I know his parents played a large role in his life with football but if true this rant is embarrassing.

Chris Canty released by the Ravens

JCTO wrote: »
    This is the apparent rant

There are also reported comments that JT himself made to other players (not with the Broncos)
    He doesn't directly say racism but it is one of those pieces if true you can take it either way. I know his parents played a large role in his life with football but if true this rant is embarrassing.
    what his father doesn't say is that JT played college basketball and only played one season of college football before he was drafted by the Broncos in the fourth round. He signed a four year contract and didn't play for the first two years because of an ankle injury (there have since been suggestions that the reason Thomas didn't play in his rookie season was because he would have had to block in the offence operated by Tebow).

The contract offered by Elway would have made JT the third highest paid TE in the NFL. JT rejected the contract because it contained standard clauses about injuries due of the fact that JT has had ongoing injury concerns. (Manning has similar clauses where he has to pass a medical to have his contract guaranteed because of his neck surgeries).

I seriously doubt JT is back with the Broncos - apparently the Jags are willing to make him the highest paid TE in the NFL - and good luck to him. Personally I would prefer to spend the money on some OL men and a NT and DE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good selection of offensive linemen out there now at the moment.

Cardinals cut Darnell Dockett

It looks like the story of Manning wanting the money saved on his restructured contract to go to resignng JT to be a case of JT's father flying a kite.

It also appears that Elway wants Manning to take a straight up pay cut - with the intention of voiding his contract next weekend if he doesn't agree.

the twitter machine is saying that Josh McCown has signed a 3 year deal with the Browns

The Falcons have released Justin Blaylock - a good option at G for any team running a power backing scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭tripperman

the twitter machine is saying that Josh McCown has signed a 3 year deal with the Browns

yeah its on nfl.com, strange move for browns hes not a step up from hoyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭franglan

I don't understand teams wetting themselves about a journeyman QB. There's a reason he Knocked around the league as a backup. I would think it's a 2 year guaranteed contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

franglan wrote: »
    I don't understand teams wetting themselves about a journeyman QB. There's a reason he Knocked around the league as a backup. I would think it's a 2 year guaranteed contract?

He's living on a reputation gained from a few games in 2013. Personally I thought he was even overrated in those. The idea that he could have started ahead of Cutler at the time is keeping him in employment two years on. The bears interviewed him this year, and I'd love to have him as a back up, but that's clearly all he is.

Today at 9pm is the deadline for the franchise tag. Cowboys and Broncos will tag Dez and Bay-Bay. Who else is likely to get tagged?

just saw that Suh isn't receiving the franchise tag so he's hitting the open market. Justin Houston has being tagged by the Chiefs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Don't think the Pats will be tagging anyone, maybe McCourty but other then that I don't see it.

please let the Colts somehow get Suh. Otherwise dont want him anywhere near the AFC South.

• Advertisement

I can see the titans and the colts going hard after Suh

kryogen wrote: »
    Don't think the Pats will be tagging anyone, maybe McCourty but other then that I don't see it.

His brother is on the case to get him to Nashville

I can see the titans and the colts going hard after Suh

Agreed. The loser of that would be in big trouble with Watt already in the division.

Yep, some thoughts the Titans if they got Suh would still take Williams at 2, or more likely an edge rusher.

If the colts get him, Mett is going to have to run for his life in those 4 games

kryogen wrote: »

Gostkowski maybe. Pats don't like the tag number for McCourty so expecting him to test the market

• Advertisement
Advertisement