Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active Retirement Ireland

Options
  • 05-09-2011 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭

Old Goat mentioned Active Retirement in the sticky about c ontacts. I didn't want to clutter up that thread with discussion so I am mentioning it here.

Is anyone part of A.R.? I went to a few meetings a few years ago, but since I was not actually retired it was not working out, so I will try again when I am retired.

However what I did notice was that, while there were lots of activities in the group that people could engage in, the 'get togethers' where things were discussed and planned included a lot of people who were definitely not 'active'. They were inclined to sit waiting to be entertained and generally putting a damper on anything that might approach lively discussion.

While I can see that it was probably good for them to be in an active atmosphere, it was not good for the group to be slowed down by inactive people. To be a bit unkind, they should have been in a group called 'geriatric retirement'. The active members were good-naturedly accommodating them by slowing to their level, probably without giving it a great deal of thought.

Is anyone part of that association? Do you have any views on this, or does it happen in all groups?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was recently invited by a friend to join one such group - she said they are permanently doing activities, outings, weekends away etc., to the point that she now calls it the 'over-active group'. My friend is a highly educated, sprightly lady of 70 and enjoys attending although she said some of the attendees are a bit 'fragile' shall we say. So far, I haven't accepted the invitation and I would also be interested to hear the experiences of others.

P.S. Congratulations on your promotion looksee!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am not retired nor in Ireland so I really can't or shouldn't comment. But I must admit I know elder folks who tend to sit around and be waited on as if the world owes them.

Perhaps it does owe them, but to be honest they need to make the effort to take advantage and not just sit and wait for others to do it for them.

I fully expect that I will be the laziest git going when I finally retire, so maybe it is wrong to comment on others. However i am at least honest enough to admit that if I do live to retire, I will be a lazy "let others sort it out" type of guy. Sad as I used to be a very active and enthusiastic person. Just had it kicked out of me I suppose.

Its been a year since this thread began and was wondering if anyone has gone to any of these groups. Also wondering what kinds of interests 'oul gits (as mentioned by Rube) have. Maybe wimmin do more crafty stuff or like knitting etc., but just thinking ahead to when himself retires, he has lots of interests but surely wouldn't fill all day every day. What are the men interested in when they attend these groups? Now we have more folks on O & O's they may have some insider knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I went to one of the local Active Retirement coffee mornings, regular weekly thing, just to say hi and see what was happening. I didn't go again. I will never be old enough to join.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. Maybe some elderly folk just don't want to be bothered while others have more git up and go!

• Advertisement

They weren't all that old! Most of them were my age and some younger - you can join at 55. I wandered in, some people looked at me and ignored me, the rest didn't look. I helped myself to a cup of tea and sat with a group of other people who got up and left to go to some other meeting in the next room apparently, they didn't say.

Then one nice lady on another table said, don't sit on your own, come and sit with us, so I did. She was fine and we chatted a bit, then the woman on my other side (having heard my accent) abruptly started quizzing me about the role of the queen in the Church of England and how she had to sign all government papers etc. I pointed out that it was the same with the President here (the signing bit) but she kept at me as though I was responsible. I thought that sort of rubbish was gone 20 years ago. I have lived in Ireland over 40 years, I don't give a damn how they run things in the UK.

Meanwhile the others were beefing about the committee (who were sitting in state in one corner receiving supplicants) having made the decision about where the day out was going to be to. There was a depressed air of genteel boredom and inertia about the whole thing. Maybe I caught them on a bad day but I was not impressed.

Looksee that sounds awful. We'll probably be giving that idea a miss so. I'm sure there could be a TV comedy series in that somewhere though! :D

Ah well, in fairness, another group could be completely different. You could go and see anyway!

And yes, I agree about the tv series!

I know they've already done 'Waiting for God' TV series but there is plenty of material for one called 'Last of the Summer WHINE'! :D

:D sounds about right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Hi everyone. I retired here ten years ago a while before the normal retirement age.

I found Active Retirement Association among many other groups to be great for me, but I honestly think that it very much depends on whether you are in a rural or town environment, as this often determines the attitudes of some members, but of course I will not generalize here.

Anyway, my group is in a very rural area indeed. We meet in very cosy and nicely decorated rooms in the village hall and members ages vary between 50-70 and most are incredibly active, motivated and focused people who have much to share and contribute to the group at large.

There is a healthy mix of locals, those who have returned home to retire and of course those from other countries who have made rural Ireland their home. This mix makes the group so vibrant and interesting.

The committee changes on a regular basis, so that no hierarchy exists and everyone gets their chance to organize, suggest etc.

Our activities would consist of the following and lots more too numerous to mention:

American Suppers where everyone brings a different dish and their own wine/juice/water and we all sit around a beautifully dressed table and have a good night.

There are meals out, transport to and from venue included; usually in a hotel where entertainment is also provided and dancing is part of the evening's fun.

Historical trips around the country and even outside of it.

Ten Pin Bowling followed by supper there.

Hotel getaways at special discounts for the ARA

Weekly Spa/Leisure Centre visits... we all love these, even the men, who enjoy an invigorating swim, steam room session etc.

Zomba exercise classes to suit all levels of mobility. Yoga, organized walks in forests, coastal areas etc.

You ask about the men in such groups. Well we have a good number and they also have an extra get together called The Shed where they meet to do their own thing; arrange a day on the golf course, or whatever, but they do tend to attend most of the other activities. They particularly like the quizz nights which take place at our cosy local with it's nice quaint open fire.

Hope this helps and hope that those of you who have encountered bad experiences will not assume that all ARA's are the same. If your local one is dreary and far removed from fulfilling your needs, then just take yourself to the next village or a little further afield until you find what you are looking for.

The ICA is another association which often attracts local ladies of a certain age, but it was not my thing sorry to say.

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks havetoquit. I hoped for a balanced view and you've nailed it by painting a more positive picture for us. Obviously as looksee said, her experience was not good but that's not to say all groups are the same.

You are very welcome.

It is also quite possible that isolated areas may also not have the same amenities within easy reach, which does not help resulting in a swift reduction in members who are disillusioned because the group does not hold any appeal whatsoever.

In areas where people are a little hesitant to change or not open to suggestions new ideas, etc, it sometimes just takes one or two strong members to get things going and present their ideas in a way that will appeal to all, or at least give them something to think about.

I know that in some isolated areas where a few people were really keen not to be part of the isolated throng and wanted to interact with more people of their own age group that they simply got in touch with the ARA on line and they were wonderfully helpful and suggested that as the number interested was so small that they would put them in touch with the secretary from a larger group in a village near town. The men said that they would do most of the ferrying to and fro and eventually funds were provided to cover transport for larger social events.

When news got around and flyers were put out in a bid to recruit new members, then the numbers really increased to the point that it was no longer necessary to travel so far, except if they wished to attend the other group's functions.

I forgot to mention that we also have speakers come to discuss topics of interest, which promotes discussion and debate within the group. We also do some Charity work or have fund raising for the group itself.

I find it a shame that the Association is not promoted better here via the media, so maybe if we were to approach local radio stations, they could give it a mention.

Where ever you happen to be in Ireland, I do hope you are enjoying life to the fullest.

havetoquit wrote: »
    I find it a shame that the Association is not promoted better here via the media, so maybe if we were to approach local radio stations, they could give it a mention.

I agree. Is there a HQ who do the PR work? Was also wondering how the groups are set up in the first place, who runs the group, and where does the money come from to keep it going. Do the groups pay rent for a meeting room & facilities, etc. What do the attendees have to pay, subscription, weekly contribution etc. I'm just curious.

Sorry for brevity, but have guests right now.

Here is the link to the Active Retirement website and think you will find all the info you need there: http://www.activeirl.ie/6/find-your-local-group.html

If there is any problem with the link, just type it into your browser and it will be fine, otherwise it is also at the top of Google.

Let me know if it was helpful.

Had a good look around the site earlier. Certainly a lot going on in some of the groups. Have to say at the moment there is little to attract me as I am involved in so many activities at present. Not keen on bowls, boules, tea-dances or golf but when the time comes I might be more interested. Will revisit the site when retirement beckons himself. I'm supposed to be 'retired' but always busy thank goodness. Thanks for all the information, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I'm a member of an AR Group for just about a year now. I have benefited greatly from being in such a group. I've done things and gone places that I'd never have gone on my own, and had a wonderful time. The members of the group of about 60 ladies are most friendly and welcoming. I'd highly recommend joining an Active Retirement Group, when the right time comes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Jack GrEnglish

Grave digging would be a great hobby to take up in retirement. Great exercise and money saver.

Grave digging would be a great hobby to take up in retirement. Great exercise and money saver.

You think that's funny, do you? Silly fool!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Jack GrEnglish

Eyepatch wrote: »

Jaysis, it was only a joke. Where's your sense of humour gone?

• Advertisement

Mod: Jack GrEnglish, please do not post on this forum again.

Mod Eyepatch, please report problem posts, do not respond on thread. Attacking the poster or name-calling will get you a warning or infraction.

looksee wrote: »
    Mod Eyepatch, please report problem posts, do not respond on thread. Attacking the poster or name-calling will get you a warning or infraction.
    Okay, Looksee! Point taken - and apologies! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Seeing as it's a resurrected post, I'll give my half-penny's worth.
    70 next year, so i think I'm qualified. However, I am not in any AR group, I don't have the time. I do voluntary work with an active Heritage group.

We visited Glasnevin Cemetry this week; we try to visit somewhere every couple of months. The free travel pass works wonders, just hope we don't lose it in the Budget next week!

The last week of August is National Heritage Week and various members of the group give a presentation (using Powerpoint). Yes, I gave one. We are currently working on several projects for next year.

We meet once a week in the local community hall for a cup of tea (or two) and biscuits. Then, we pick a topic and talk, relative to the area, and the everyone's memories about it. Usually this is recorded and in the future we hope to produce a book with some of the stories,

With all that, who needs AR?

You will always find in a group that there are a small group of people who seem to do all the work!

I applaud you, campingcarist. I think 'old age' is in the mind. I visited an elderly couple recently who have spent their lives sitting in front of the TV, and don't have any other interests. They get very lonely but can't understand why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Seeing as it's a resurrected post, I'll give my half-penny's worth.
    70 next year, so i think I'm qualified. However, I am not in any AR group, I don't have the time. I do voluntary work with an active Heritage group.

We visited Glasnevin Cemetry this week; we try to visit somewhere every couple of months. The free travel pass works wonders, just hope we don't lose it in the Budget next week!

The last week of August is National Heritage Week and various members of the group give a presentation (using Powerpoint). Yes, I gave one. We are currently working on several projects for next year.

We meet once a week in the local community hall for a cup of tea (or two) and biscuits. Then, we pick a topic and talk, relative to the area, and the everyone's memories about it. Usually this is recorded and in the future we hope to produce a book with some of the stories,

With all that, who needs AR?

You will always find in a group that there are a small group of people who seem to do all the work!
    I'm somewhat similar. Now 71 and go on regular fieldtrips with a Nature group. I work with local kids on environmental issues at times. My wife and I like visiting gardens and hill walking. Between all that, fishing and the garden, I seem to have little spare time.
    I went to an AR group locally a few years back but it just wasn't active enough for me. It was mostly based in the local community centre and, at the risk of sounding sexist, it was almost entirely ladies and the activities were more akin to an ICA meeting with indoor bowls throw in. They do a couple of bus trips a year but all very sedate considering many of them are just about retirement age.
    I suppose Activity is relative and the group gave some an outlet where they could meet but I find my weekly coffee sessions with old friends and colleagues fills the need for company.
    The AR groups are an option and serve many people very well but people facing retirement shouldn't assume this is all retirement is about.

Yesterday I was at the doctor's to have her sign my application to have my driving license renewed. I hadn't mentioned that I had the over-seventies GP card. The receptionist was surprised. I jokingly said that it was because I did not look the age. The conversation led to "Active Retirement". She said her mother is in her eighties and loves it. I mentioned I am a member of a group of over sixty women - even though men would be welcome. "Men just are not sociable." replied the receptionist. One of many reasons I've heard as to why men do not join AR!

AR gets me to do things, I probably wouldn't do on my own - mostly through laziness and procrastination. I do love gardening and going out to fancy restaurants with friends, using Living Social Deals! :P

..... "Men just are not sociable." replied the receptionist. One of many reasons I've heard as to why men do not join AR!.... :P

Some men are pretty sociable and join those Shed groups and other clubs like golf etc., but others just feel like a fish out of water in social gatherings, and they are the ones which need a little help. If you are on your own a lot of the time and don't like crowds, you can get very lonely and depression can set in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Some men are pretty sociable and join those Shed groups and other clubs like golf etc., but others just feel like a fish out of water in social gatherings, and they are the ones which need a little help. If you are on your own a lot of the time and don't like crowds, you can get very lonely and depression can set in.

I have to agree. Men are every bit as sociable. Many men go to the Sheds and I know other groups who meet up for coffee regularly. Heritage group, history groups, walking groups, cycling club etc around here are predominately men getting together. I think men just like to be doing more when they meet up than purely chatting. The AR group here was a real talking shop with more sound than action so the men didn't stick with it. Whatever floats your boat and works for you is all that matters.

• Advertisement

I have to agree. Men are every bit as sociable. Many men go to the Sheds and I know other groups who meet up for coffee regularly. Heritage group, history groups, walking groups, cycling club etc around here are predominately men getting together. I think men just like to be doing more when they meet up than purely chatting. The AR group here was a real talking shop with more sound than action so the men didn't stick with it. Whatever floats your boat and works for you is all that matters.

You are basing your opinions of AR on just one example that didn't live up to your expectations, Chloe Numerous Baton. So - All AR groups are the same, in your opinion?

Advertisement