Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Johnny Manziel in Rehab

• 02-02-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12267487&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ie%2F%22%7D
    Interviews by ESPN.com with nearly 20 Browns sources, both on the record and on condition of anonymity, along with several NFL personnel sources for a Jan. 23 story revealed that Manziel's problems ran deep in his rookie season.

Sources talked of a yearlong pattern that showed a lack of commitment and preparation, a failure to be ready when given a chance in his first start against Cincinnati and a continued dedication to nightlife, which affected his preparation and work while he was in the team facility.

On Dec. 23, a Tuesday in the final week of the season, Manziel stood in front of about 20 media members and outlined his plan to become the Browns' answer at quarterback. He wanted to be "the guy" for Cleveland, he said, and would do so by taking his job more seriously in the offseason. He was more animated than he'd been all year, eager to declare his intentions.

But four days later, the day before the Browns' season finale on Dec. 28, stories in the Browns' facility began to circulate. That morning the Browns were packing up to head to Baltimore, but Manziel was not present for the walk-through. Team security drove to Manziel's downtown home to check on him.

Two team sources said security found a player who they felt clearly had partied hard the night before. One source used the words "drunk off his a--."

Starting to get ugly. Who still believes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I was just about to post the same story...

Manziel has a chance. A slim one mind, as I don't believe he has what it takes to be an elite QB. But that's just IMO. The Browns are giving him every opportunity to shape up. If this goes to the pictures? That's it - the Browns will cut him, and it'll be difficult if not impossible to catch on with another team. I reckon he'll be out of football within 2 years. Just ask JaMarcus Russell and Tim Tebow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The difference between Manziel and many who've gone before him is he talks a good talk. If persuasive attitude won football matches he'd be on a winner. Remains to be seen, but I agree he's going the way of Tebow (or perhaps Sanchez if he's lucky).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Trojan wrote: »
    The difference between Manziel and many who've gone before him is he talks a good talk. If persuasive attitude won football matches he'd be on a winner. Remains to be seen, but I agree he's going the way of Tebow (or perhaps Sanchez if he's lucky).

Wouldn't even put him in with Tebow or Sanchez in that they made the most of their abilities - however limited they were (well mainly Tebow). Manziel seems intent on pissing his abilities up the wall so he's not even giving himself a chance of making it. He's definitely in the Jamarcus Russell bracket at the minute but it's early days yet.

Hopefully he pulls himself together because if he does make an impact he can be as exciting a QB to watch as anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I dubbed him 'Ryan Leaf Part Deux' before the draft. He's not doing anything to prove me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Like I say. I don't buy into the BS statements that were put out. It was well known the Browns were getting a tad pissed off with his antics, regardless of the shirts Manziel sells. They forced him into it. Either he went or was cut...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

oddly enough, seen a guy doing hell and back yesterday wearing a Manziel shirt..

Maybe his road to redemption was starting in Bray :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I never bought into the hype and figured he would flame out in 3-4 years. Never figured it would be this bad though.

If he ends up back with the Browns (I'd say it could be a big if) he's definitely on his last chance. Can see them taking another QB ( not Winston!) this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Looks like Skip Bayless was right all along...what is the world coming to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Browns own 12 & 19 (Bills trade) in the draft. Might be able to sort a package to trade up, they have options

Julio Jones trade, Trent Richardson trade & Sammy Watkins trade. The Browns are below average in talent evaluation but they've a knack at trading down for 1st rounders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Browns own 12 & 19 (Bills trade) in the draft. Might be able to sort a package to trade up, they have options

Julio Jones trade, Trent Richardson trade & Sammy Watkins trade. The Browns are below average in talent evaluation but they've a knack at trading down for 1st rounders

All well and good having a bunch of 1st rounders but if you waste them on players like Manziel and Gilbert they are essentially worthless.

Scouting department needs a kick up the a$$.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

It's imposiblto believe a word that comes out of the guys mouth. If I were the Browns I would cut my losses already & target Hundley at the bottom of the 1st while bringing back Brian Hoyer.

I was a huge Manziel supporter coming out but I was duped by his talk. I feel for the Browns. No franchise should have had to go through what they have at QB.

They would prob be best off with a 51 year old Bernie Kosar at QB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

tough crowd! young guy with talent, let's see what he can do next season before writing his obituary

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Let's give him a chance. If he is in rehab he obviously has some serious problems. He may be an alcoholic!! He may not be simply choosing to just piss away his abilities. Maybe he is a party boy, or maybe he actually has a psychological condition, an addiction, that causes him to drink excessively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

tough crowd! young guy with talent, let's see what he can do next season before writing his obituary

Toughest sporting league in the world. Plenty with talent before that were chewed up and spat out by the NFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The guy was kicked out of the Manning QB camp a few years ago because he was got ****-faced and was hungover. This isn't exactly a surprise. In saying that it's funny(depressing?) that he has to go to rehab for acting like pretty much 90% of young 20 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Toughest sporting league in the world. Plenty with talent before that were chewed up and spat out by the NFL.

True, but Manziel just finished his rookie season where he was a backup. Theres nothing to say that Manziel doesnt have the talent to succeed in a league and I think its only fair to give him a chance. I mean, having a few jars is harmless in the grand scheme of Big ben, aaron h or mike vick.

True, but Manziel just finished his rookie season where he was a backup. Theres nothing to say that Manziel doesnt have the talent to succeed in a league and I think its only fair to give him a chance. I mean, having a few jars is harmless in the grand scheme of Big ben, aaron h or mike vick.

Except some of the worst QB play I've ever seen in the league during his brief few quarters of play when he did come into the team?

The guy was kicked out of the Manning QB camp a few years ago because he was got ****-faced and was hungover. This isn't exactly a surprise. In saying that it's funny(depressing?) that he has to go to rehab for acting like pretty much 90% of young 20 year olds.

He's a professional athlete getting paid a huge amount of money to do a job that requires a huge amount of mental and physical focus and preparedness. Acting like 90% of the population won't cut it because, unlike 90% of 20 year olds, he's not still in University or working a low responsibility job and able to get away with being hungover and feckless the entire time.

Well apart from all of his college and NFL film.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's a professional athlete getting paid a huge amount of money to do a job that requires a huge amount of mental and physical focus and preparedness. Acting like 90% of the population won't cut it because, unlike 90% of 20 year olds, he's not still in University or working a low responsibility job and able to get away with being hungover and feckless the entire time.

Oh I completely agree. Although I blame the Browns for being stupid enough to give all that money to a guy who was only ever going to turn out just as he has. I just more meant it's a waste of time sending him to rehab for doing normal 20 year old stuff as his problem is immature and not really drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Hazys wrote: »
    All well and good having a bunch of 1st rounders but if you waste them on players like Manziel and Gilbert they are essentially worthless.

Scouting department needs a kick up the a$$.

The last draft was Farmer's first.
    Farmer engineered the trade with Buffalo to get this years one from the and move back 5.
    Gilbert was 100% Pettine's pick and has admitted as much. We found this out first as soon as he got drafted on the phone call.
    I'm still convinced JFF was Haslam's pick and most are. They'll obv deny it forever but that has been the consensus from day 1 with everyone looking in and it will never change for me.

After the first, Farmer drafted
    Bitonio - Stellar first season and possible future All Pro. Draft gets redone tomorrow and he goes in the first, no question.
    Kirksey - ILB that has started and played well. Room to improve and a solid 3rd rounder.
    West - Very talented back. Looked very good in flashes last year and has already lost a lot of weight in the offseason. Can't question his work ethic but my jaysis the guy is unlikeable. An actual moron. All these views are my own and stem from social media. Anyway. decent back!.
    Desir - Project pick that got a couple of starts (and looked good) late in the year. Opposite of West off the field and i'm really rooting for the guy this year.

Undrafted
    Crowell - Took a gamble on him after being fcuked out of Georgia for weapon charges. Looks a great back with great burst. Could be a feature back soon.
    K Williams - Looked great in the slot and instantly looked better than Gilbert overall. Was a big reason the Browns secondary was one of the best in the league. Got shaken up a couple of times with concussion late on. Hope he is fine going forward.
    T Gabriel - Performed better than 50% or drafted WRs in the best class in history. Small guy and not sure how much of a role he plays going forward but played his nuts off and has made some money for himself going forward i hope.

Bar round 1 (I know I know) Farmer had an excellent draft imo.

If you want to rip on the gm. Do so for paying Ben Tate. Although i like that we moved on quickly.
    And even worse. Billy fcking Cundiff. Watching this guy week on week was the most baffling of the lot. Missed 5 games in a row or something. They wait until the season is over to can him.

Also FCUK YOU LLOYD. Hoping this doesn't turn into another game by game destroying of a player like Richardson. I know you want to feed on Manziel's carcass.

I'm afraid you will :(

• Advertisement

Also FCUK YOU LLOYD. Hoping this doesn't turn into another game by game destroying of a player like Richardson. I know you want to feed on Manziel's carcass.

I'm afraid you will :(

I need a new project. :) It was great Richardson came along after Tebow to tell you the truth! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Well apart from all of his college and NFL film.
    +1. He didn't have the talent to succeed in the first place. It was madness to draft him regardless of his off the field activities. The browns should cut him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Well, his teammate looks to be done in the NFL. Josh Gordon is banned for a full year by the NFL. Surely nobody is going to take a chance on him after that.

Well, his teammate looks to be done in the NFL. Josh Gordon is banned for a full year by the NFL. Surely nobody is going to take a chance on him after that.
    Shame, he actually had the talent.

He'll definitely get another chances. He's too young and talented not to. But it will be for short term, league minimum contract with lots of incentives type of deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

We're so nailed on for Hard Knocks. It'll be like a comedy movie.

We're so nailed on for Hard Knocks. It'll be like a comedy movie.
    The last season of Hard Knocks (worst. season. ever.) showed that it's over as a series. The players are on their best behaviour around the cameras and it's stage managed to the n'th degree. There's too much at stake to have a warts and all documentary team all over your preseason training camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

Sad to see such a great talent destroy himself like that. It's always hard to believe when a player who could have everything, just keeps pressing the self-destruct button.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

JFF now third choice QB in Cleveland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's f*cking infuriating to see this bum throw away such an opportunity. Hundreds/thousands of dedicated, passionate players are never given a chance to show what they can do in the NFL and this guy doesn't give a sh*t. He never has and never will.

Everyone knew this was how it would go. I find it hard to believe that there is a single scout in the NFL that could look at this guys life and say "yeah, I would be okay taking this guy in the 1st round". The browns wasted a 1st round pick and passed on someone who could have changed the franchises fortunes all for publicity, season ticket & jersey sales.

It would be enough for me to stop supporting them if I was a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Really can't understand this decision from the Browns, so what he was out at the weekend when the team were on a bye. Their season is dead, they need to see how good J Football can be, not relegate him to 3rd choice. So infuriating to be a Browns fan I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Really can't understand this decision from the Browns, so what he was out at the weekend when the team were on a bye. Their season is dead, they need to see how good J Football can be, not relegate him to 3rd choice. So infuriating to be a Browns fan I'd imagine.

Disagree with this, if he has no discipline don't see how his team mates can have any respect for him. You don't see Brady or Rodgers out partying during their bye weeks.

He needs to take his job seriously, he needs to understand you dont just turn up on Sunday and play, its a full time job.

He had obviously been asked not to be out partying hence his demotion. I reckon h'es done in Cleveland now. THey'll have the number one pick and will take a QB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He specifically and publically said he wouldn't go out and would just use the bye week to relax a bit as he didn't want to embarrass the team. He clearly will never, ever change.
    Oat23 wrote: »
    It's f*cking infuriating to see this bum throw away such an opportunity. Hundreds/thousands of dedicated, passionate players are never given a chance to show what they can do in the NFL and this guy doesn't give a sh*t. He never has and never will.

Everyone knew this was how it would go. I find it hard to believe that there is a single scout in the NFL that could look at this guys life and say "yeah, I would be okay taking this guy in the 1st round". The browns wasted a 1st round pick and passed on someone who could have changed the franchises fortunes all for publicity, season ticket & jersey sales.

It would be enough for me to stop supporting them if I was a fan.

The Browns passed on the chance to take Bridgewater and Carr TWICE! Unbelievable really, well since it's the Browns it's very believable I guess.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »

He's a bum, he's never going to be good enough to be a QB in the NFL anyway. His off the field stuff is just nails in the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

. THey'll have the number one pick and will take a QB.[/quote]

Thus completing the circle of browns life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he has all the talent in the world but his attitude/way of life means he will never make it. It's just sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he has all the talent in the world but his attitude/way of life means he will never make it. It's just sad really.

He hasn't got remotely the technique to be an nfl qb. He can do some great off the cuff stuff but the D's in the NFL figure that out very quickly. He was an awful pick by the browns... as usual when they take a qb...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Spotted in the Vegas casinos last night. The bloke is a lost cause. And then there was this:

4feac537899ef8d7ae3ced411086a3fe.png

Who's going to be Lloyd's next victim? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Not only was he in Vegas, but he was there in a blonde wig, fake mustache and used the name "Billy", according to ESPN Vegas.

Apparently a video exists too. I'm sceptical as this story seems too good to be true, but I'm deciding it's true because I want it to be.

Taking a step back from the questions of how drunk he was, where and when; bottom line is that as QB for the Browns he should have been on the sideline Sunday assisting Austin Davis in whatever way he could. Anything less is merely a further indication of how much of a feckless loser athlete he is at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

It'll all come back to haunt him when he's sitting at home in a few years time trying to work out where it all went wrong and why he isnt an NFL starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Checking into Instagram in Ohio with an old photo of him and his dog (while larging it in Vegas) was the funniest part of this episode :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I'd love to see him go to Dallas and do well, purely for the amount of people it would piss off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd love to see him go to Dallas and do well, purely for the amount of people it would piss off.

I want him to go to Dallas and do reasonably well. Enough to start a few years, but not enough to actually win them anything.

I'd actually feel a little sad for Romo, someone who is the ultimate professional and warrior, and until recently, a very underrated QB, if someone like Manziel turned up and actually won a SB with half the dedication and commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me this sounds like a very immature comment.

How would you get pleasure out of this? Would you not rather see a guy who has worked his butt off get a starting gig and do well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

eagle eye wrote: »
    For me this sounds like a very immature comment.

How would you get pleasure out of this? Would you not rather see a guy who has worked his butt off get a starting gig and do well?

No, I would rather see Manziel do well because it would annoy people. As far as vices go wanting a particular sports-star to do well is not one of the worst.

Anyway, if he did get the start through Romo being out injuried or some such and did well, surely he would have deserved it? I never stated the circumstances of his hypothetical success in Dallas.

I like to see sports stars show a bit of colour, a streak of the rebel, not be afraid to let the hair down.

Manziel way overstepped that long ago and is evidently just a complete and utter gobshXXe with nothing but contempt for those around him. I can understand addictions, painkillers, recreational drugs, alcohol...but a partying lifestyle? No. If his career ends up on the scrapheap, you'd have to say it was precisely what he deserved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement