Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Irish HL predictions P 1 AND 2 * (1 thread please!)

Options
  • 06-06-2011 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Does anyone have good predictions on what will come up in paper 2.

Tomorrow's Danta Dualgais Breise? Whats coming up? 47 votes

Oíche Nollaig na mBan
    0% 0 votes
    Uirchill an Chreagáin
    31% 15 votes
    Maigdiléana
    0% 0 votes
    An tOileán
    36% 17 votes
    An Chéad Dráma
    21% 10 votes
    Dán do Mhelissa
    0% 0 votes
    An Máthair
    8% 4 votes
    Dá m'bhféidir arís dár gcumann
    2% 1 vote
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

An t-Oilean I think? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TaraP1993

look at the leaving cert predicions thread

nil aon ni is very likely
    bimse buan
    jack
    faoiseamh

thats the ones i have done i didnt touch the higher level poems yet or prose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 lisa1

bimse buan
    gealt
    magdilena
    an bean og
    lig sin i gcathu
    an cearrbhach

thats what i've done so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

My teacher always gets one or two of them right! she reckons politics/recession/immigration has to come up in some form! Its been a while since sport has been up! anyone else have any premonitions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

Well in the Aiste part, in general there is always at least one current affairs or issue relating to the country in the last year-
    2010: Whats in store for Ireland as part of the EU
    2009: Goodbye to the celtic tiger
    2008: Scandal of the Health system in Irl.
    2007: Global warming
    2006: (Not really as specific as previous) Old and the new in Ireland
    2005: The Olympic Games

So you can be fairly sure that there will be some sort of topic on a recent 'issue' - the recession is the obvious one, and hopefully very likely. Topics linking to this could be politicians, the banking crisis, Ireland today compared to the 80's.

Other topics I personally think are likely, based on that the submissions were last November, are: Ireland Greatest Hero - Who is he or she? (based on the poll run last Sept/Oct), The Queen of England (her visit was anticipated from last year), and People living to an older age (big story in the news around that time last year).

I think the drugs, social problems are things you can fit into an open topic (for example , if you were to get something like 'The problems of our country are getting worse', you could adapt that one to anything really - but I wouldnt think its likely that we're gonna get speficially 'drugs' or 'alcohol'.

Just my opinion anyway, hope it helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 claire_p

yh wrote: »
    Higher irish paper 2, what are the predictions, poetry? stories? PLEASE!:confused:

the ones i have covered because they have all been tipped in one way or another for honours poems are:

an t-oilean
    maigdileana
    an mhathar
    dan do mhelissa
    oiche na nollaig

one if not two of these has to come up..

pass poems could be any really..

pro's i've heard are;
    cearrbhach
    an bhean og
    lig sinn

and for stair na gaeilge, i just picked the ten easiest ones to remember, and hope that two of them come up. just make sure you know both an ruraiocht and fhianniocht, becuse neither were up last year, so should defo have one up this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

how many stairs are people doing?

if i learn
    -aislings
    -ruraiocht
    -fiannaiocht
    -athbheochan
    -ogham
    -gaeltachts
    -gluaiseanna sa sean gaeilge

will i have enough to be covered or can anyone suggest another 1 or 2 to learn too
    thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i think something on state of irish in the country could come up with the new course coming in next year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The IMF were called in around November so i'd imagine there may be a question on the economy and politics. I certainly hope so anyway. If it's something about the environment or some other rubbish topic I'm in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

anybody know where i might find some sample irish essays on these ^ topics ? i only have essays on sport and irish being abolised :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

the question of youth and immigration has a good chance of coming up (Imirce) and of course an culú eacnamaíocht (Recession) is up there too. Ive been in the college the past 4 years doing irish and the past 2 years have been these topics on my unseen essays.Check out focal.ie for the IMF term in irish, it'd be worth your while, and beo.ie have articles on everything you could imagine, so you can pick up sentences from there!

An t-Oileán is almost a given for Paper II, it has not appeared in the exam yet.

Maigdilena, Oíche Nollaig na mBan agus An Mhatháir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 j123456789

Does anyone have any sample essays on immigration and problems among the youth (drugs/alcohal). My teacher was terrible and i plan on learning just these two to fit into a general essay.

Ideally about a page and a half as I am not going for an A or anything but if you have any, any help would be appreciated. I don't mind a sample or a home written essay but I understand that most don't like to give away their own as they have spent a lot of time/effort on them.

Pleas help if you can, Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

When you say immigration, I take it you mean emigration? Nobody is coming into the country anymore, we're all leaving, I'd say unemployment & emigration is VERY likely..

Did An t-Oilean not come up in 2006?

When you say immigration, I take it you mean emigration? Nobody is coming into the country anymore, we're all leaving, I'd say unemployment & emigration is VERY likely..

Your right, i apologise! :)

they are two most popular topics in the country at the minute, but dont expect the question to be clear because the heads who create this will know what people are thinking and dont want something learned off. they look to see how well students adapt to the question. Remember also its 80% for the grammar and 20% for the subject!

How do you think they could ask that?! I'm terrible at realising the hidden meaning of Qs!

oops, sorry my bad, missed 06!

its only came up in 2006 so chances are high it'll come up again.

Yes, yes! Last year was the year where it was quite obvious the poems that would be up. I say this year, with the course changing, and if maths is anything to go by, anything goes!!

How do you think they could ask that?! I'm terrible at realising the hidden meaning of Qs!

Take for example a title like: " Éire ina bhfuil romhainn " (the Ireland ahead of us..)

its a fairly easy title to understand but think of what they are looking here? they havent mentioned the recession or imirce in the title. You could put both in here as well as politics too. The key is to really read the titles and ask what would they look for? i know i had the same problem when i did my leaving a few years back, i rushed reading through the titles and totally missed the key word for global warming!

• Advertisement

That would be the most beautiful essay title in the world, so much scope for development, even throw in a bit of where drugs and violence might lead us to bump it up a bit...

I think you should set the paper!!

Your right, they wont leave it too easy or too predictable. Remember they've studied past papers too :D

Haha, why thank you! but i was just brainstorming there, its pot luck as to what sort of title will come up!! With the general election this year and the whole controversy about the curriculum, that could be a runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Well our teacher gave us sample essays on...

The economic state of the country
    Drugs
    Alcohol
    Imirce
    Future of the irish language
    Sport
    Poverty
    Environment
    Crime
    Violence

At this stage I'm just trying to pick which ones to focus on most cos revising all them for Monday is gonna be a nightmare. Any suggestions? I'm fairly sure I'm gonna leave out Sport anyway and I already know the economy and Environment pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Personally i'm hoping for a recession/politics kind of essay, I did well on that kind of one in the mocks. One on irish would seem likely with the new course and all, but remember that came up only about two years ago so I wouldn't think they'd put it on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plmokn

Well as long as An Chead Drama and Uirchill an Chreagain don't come up! They were up last year so they shouldn't... But hasn't Uirchill an Chreagain been up like 3 times in the past few years?

Seeing as this is the last year of the course, I'd say an tOilean and maybe Maigdileana?

As for prose I'm hoping Bean Og and Cearrbhach... Doubt Fiche Bliain ag Fas....

Pass poetry... Think Gealt is tipped to be the compulsory one?

Anyone have any suggestions on essay titles? I always have trouble understanding what they mean! I know I'll know enough vocab to get me by anything that comes up, but does anyone have any advice on how a question might be phrased? And how to relate your points back to the question?

Have stuff prepared on 'An Culú Eacnamaíochta' and 'Imirce' - Recession and Emmigration. they are hot topics but then again the examiners wont set anything too predicable either. just look for power words in the title. take your time reading the title and ask yourself what they look for in each one. You'll be pumped on adrenaline at the beginning of that exam,and if you find yourself freaking out at the essays, do the comprehensions first to settle yourself into the swing of things.

With an Cearrbhach, id defo have stuff on na tréithe béaloidis learned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

There is almost certainly going to be a topic on the paper than you can use your pre-rehearsed Recession essay for.

The hard bit is understanding the title and adapting to it.

One of the mocks this year had the title "Is in olcas ata an tir seo ag dul" - it's worse that this country is getting. Most will pick out tir seo as this country and be able to guess the rest, but what happens if, on the day you see something like; "Beidh an streachailt ar aghaidh" - the struggle will continue, or "Ní bhfuil an ré na saint dar críoch" - the era of greed hasnt ended (Sorry if my grammar's really bad but you get the idea)

If you dont recognise the word "strachailt" in the first on or "ré" or "saint" in the second, you're going to think that there's nothing there on recession.

its probable that they'll compose questions like that to see if students can adapt and recognize key words like what came up in your mocks. I know when i did mine a few years back i totally misunderstood a word in the title that would have led me to write an essay on environment. i ended up doing a debate about car accidents, the drink and drugs culture etc... even when it wasnt even asked in the title. there are ways and means about it, its all about the grammar at the end of the day. and not too panic :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Emz..

I feel really unprepared for the aiste...I need to do well in irish for points.. everyones kind of tippin recession.. I have an essay on problems in Ireland that I used it my mock - if i could twist it so that I could say the recession leads to these problems, would I be ok??

I guess it depends on the way they ask the question..Any tips?:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement