Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

model rocketry

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Sorry for double posting, my phone wont let me edit. I am thinking of making a simple .pdf resource for people who want to 'roll their own' electric matches and firing boxes for igniting their model rockets (estes solar ignitors have a shelf life, and tend to fail, and their firing box aint great). I am almost finished the writing part, and have a video of the firing box in use (a test run igniting NC). If you guys and girls want, I can post links here. BTW, 'rolling your own' engines can be VERY dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Hi guy's I'm new to this forum. I was in Florida last year and bought a fairly advanced Estes rocket kit and mucho packs of motors B64 and C65. It can launch various types about 100 in total depending on which you choose to build. I have succesfully launced and recovered several. I think the max range is about 2000ft but I aint achieved that yet. I bought the kit and motors in Hamleys in the Florida mall and I think they are available in the UK and NI. It really is an awesome kit. I will be returning soon and I will let you know when and if you like I could bring you back some motors if thats any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GiXX

*BUMP*

Any more on this topic guys? im very interested in rocketry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 IRS.ie

www.irishrocketry.com

We are going to start flying rockets again in Greencastle, Co.Donegal on Easter Sunday.

you can us the contact us on the website & that will come though to myself & I'l keep you up to date.

Colin.

www.irishrocketry.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Sorry to bump a very old thread but it makes more sense than starting a new one!
    I was hoping to get myself and my kids some rockets and go launch them. But my kids wouldn't be that keen on going all the way to Donegal or, in any case, more than an hour away from home (Meath) to launch.
    Is it against the law to launch from a private field nearby? Assume it was my field too.
    Tuam is a bit of a spin too and i get the impression it happens only a few times a year. I'll want to launch at least every weekend, to really get enjoyment out of it!!:)

And do i need a license to import or even have the engines? From what i can gather, there isn't a license needed for small engines in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rocketholden

I know this was posted in 2005 yea the rocket fuel are illegal but that doesn't mean people don't have there ways of getting them fireworks are illegal and you see them as much over here then you do in England when i want rocket fuel i ring a few model shops in northern Ireland some will send it down some wont so i just have a guy up there who buys it and sends it down its pretty handy there is always ways around it and the guarda don't exactly know the law iv had a guard stop and watch me launch my rocket haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Hey Guys

Colin mentioned this back in 2011, but since the thread has been dormant for a while I'll repeat it. The Irish Rocketry Society has been promoting and growing rocketry, lots of work being done to get events going in schools and at events like the Groove festival in Wicklow earlier this month.

If you are interested in building and launching rockets there's a community there to ask questions and have a laugh on launch days. They import rocket motors legally, arrange free airspace for launches and work towards making rocketry safer and easier in Ireland. They are members of Tripoli which means the certification you can get for the high powered rockets are internationally recognised.

Facebook: Irish Rocketry - Tripoli No. 129

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NaasPreacher

I loved model rocketry when I was growing up in Alalbama. I wanted to get my grandchildren involved.

DO I have this right? It is basically impossible and probably illegal for me to take my grqndkids out to launch Estes model rockets?

Advertisement