Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Bazzo wrote: »
    Also, I've recently moved to the mainland UK. Has anyone here had any experience shipping a rig across seas? I'm debating whether it's worth it or not to myself but have been too busy/lazy to look up pricing etc.

If I were doing this I'd remove the GPU and my CPU cooler and tape down all HDDs and optical drives. Then cram the case full of newspaper/bubblewrap or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Is anyone going to get a gtx 970 itx card:
    http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=67720
    I am tempted to get this a replace my gtx 670 itx with it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

deceit wrote: »
    Is anyone going to get a gtx 970 itx card:
    http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=67720
    I am tempted to get this a replace my gtx 670 itx with it :).

Jaysus that nice! Looks like its still at same performance level.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any of ye ordered from DX recently? Tracking is totally broken it seems :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

ED E wrote: »
    Any of ye ordered from DX recently? Tracking is totally broken it seems :pac:

Dealextreme? Unless they did this recently, I've never seen tracking on any orders from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dealextreme? Unless they did this recently, I've never seen tracking on any orders from them.

Over like 25$ you get tracking now. But its ChinaPost/EMS ^^

Is it me or Netflix is a but dodgy in the last few days? I can't get it working on any device tonight. Was same 2 days ago too. My buddy few houses away said same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

I just saw this on ocuk forums.It looks like a great idea and a really good deal.I may be tempted to scratch the upgrade itch now :D

October 21th, 2014 – Today, GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, launched its new service and quality offensive for their GIGABYTE Black Edition series motherboards, based on the latest Intel Z97 chipset.

All customers who purchase a new 9 series Black Edition motherboard (models listed below), tested on 168h server level benchmarks are able to register for the ultimate and unique UPGRADE WARRANTY.

So what is the Ultimate Upgrade Warranty you ask?

This upgrade warranty provides the customer the right to exchange their 9 Series Black Edition motherboard within three years of the purchase date for one model from a future series.

If the customers prefers a GIGABYTE motherboard from a future series better or they want to use a new CPU with a different chipset base, their Black Edition motherboard may be returned within three years and they will receive free of charge a brand new next generation motherboards.

Details of this UPGRADE WARRANTY are found at: http://bk.gigabyte.eu/EN_bk_UK_Ireland.html.

On top of this 3 year UPGRADE WARRANTY, the GIGABYTE customers receive an extended manufacturer’s warranty of 60 months, yes 5 years when they register, so if they are happy to keep their motherboard and not upgrade its covered under a 5 year warranty.

The link to register for this UPGRADE WARRANTY is on a special GIGABYTE website: http://bk.gigabyte.eu/EN_register_UK_Ireland.aspx

The GIGABYTE Black Edition 9 series motherboards included into this promotion are:

- GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK
    - GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
    - GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK

These motherboards are available at Overclockers UK now so you can buy today and register for the UPGRADE WARRANTY NOW just remember you have up to 4 weeks from the purchase date to register and qualify.

Faq.
    http://bk.gigabyte.eu/EN_faq.html

Link to ocuk thread.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18631511

Lads, can we get a "trust circle" in here ASAP? I know it's not really our sphere, but I need help. :D

My buddy is looking for laptop. 500eu tops. He is not gamer, he just needs it for usual stuff and his kids like to watch cartoons on it.

What brands would you recommend lads? I always had a soft spot for hp stuff. After fixing hp and getting all that customer support from hp guys, I really give them respect. Which ones have the most solid support in your opinion lads ?
    Are apu stuff proved itself solid so far? Or some low budget i3 still better choice?
    From what I looked so far, it looks like you can pick up i3 / a6 with 8gb ram and 1tb 15.6 laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Lads, can we get a "trust circle" in here ASAP? I know it's not really our sphere, but I need help. :D

My buddy is looking for laptop. 500eu tops. He is not gamer, he just needs it for usual stuff and his kids like to watch cartoons on it.

What brands would you recommend lads? I always had a soft spot for hp stuff. After fixing hp and getting all that customer support from hp guys, I really give them respect. Which ones have the most solid support in your opinion lads ?
    Are apu stuff proved itself solid so far? Or some low budget i3 still better choice?
    From what I looked so far, it looks like you can pick up i3 / a6 with 8gb ram and 1tb 15.6 laptop.

Oddly enough HP are the brand i would most avoid when it comes to laptops, i remember seeing previously that there failure rate significantly higher than most of the other big manufacturers. That may no longer be applicable of course, as it was a while back. I tend towards toshiba/lenovo (used to love the "nub" the old IBM thinkpads had - especially considering how shte the touchpads were at the time)

If you like HP though, was laptop shopping recently for the girlfriend, and in PC World/Harvey Normans etc. almost half the stock was HP.

If he is not going to be doing that much with i would aim towards saving him some money and getting a cheaper one. We got a toshiba, with one of the new pentiums (they are like quad core atoms) and decent for general internet and office tasks.It came in AMD flavour as well (A6-5200) which was a bit more powerful, but i would imagine less power efficient).

I would recommend going to the shops and trying them out, big difference in quality of keyboard and touchpad on a lot of laptops.

Definitely wouldnt bother with 8GB of ram if it comes at a higher cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Water charges are one thing, but Hungary plans to tax nearly 50c per GB dowloaded!
    http://www.kitguru.net/channel/jon-martindale/hungary-may-start-taxing-the-internet-by-the-gb/

Do these guys even think this stuff out properly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

picard-facepalm2.jpg

That's about all I have to say to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Looking for a good gaming desk lads.

Myself and the better half are currently sharing our PC for gaming, but the obvious disputes come up from time to time when she wants to use it for playing Dragon Age and I'm playing Assassins Creed.

We'll probably be getting a new PC in soon enough, but we're looking for a good desk that'll fit both set ups on. Obviously only really need to have Monitors etc on top, towers will go underneath. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

My future desk is going to be a solid wood kitchen counter top with legs from Ikea. Easy to fashion some monitor shelves from Ikea bits and bobs as well. Just not a fan of laminated desk tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

So the new PC landed, unboxed the case to find this...
    LL

Absolute pisser. In fairness Scan are replacing it. Still have a few other bits to play with :D

IMAG2656_zps0eae5221.jpg

Temp build in old case:

IMAG2658_zps503884ac.jpg

Fine sandpaper will be used to get rid of the nvidia green, white will match a lot better I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

So other than the fact that someone keyed it, what are your first impressions of the case?

Decent build quality, but scratches easily...:(
    Size wise its a lot smaller, imagine the FT02 with out the 5 x HDD cages and 5.25 bays an you get the idea. Not bothered building in it yet-its being collected again tomorrow.

I got the silverstone PSU as I want to keep the drive HDD cages for now, any PSU >160mm long means you loose them.

Emmm... Amazon is not using Post for deliveries anymore? I just got email from "fastway" and it says that my order is with them and it will be delivered in 1-3 days. Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Was that using free delivery or standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Emmm... Amazon is not using Post for deliveries anymore? I just got email from "fastway" and it says that my order is with them and it will be delivered in 1-3 days. Eh?
    Received a package yesterday from Amazon and it was delivered by An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I made an order last week that I received this morning, the order was split for some odd reason, one came through an post and the second through Fastway.

So yeah, I got it delivered by some other crowd. Not an post. I was not home, so I asked your man to leave it in a bin.

I wonder was it one off?

Fastway sell franchises to independent couriers, can be hit and miss depending on who you get. I've found them decent.

Unlike DPD, turns out DPD UK struggle to book a collection here due to no UK style numerical postcodes-their system make a balls of it.

Apparently Wicklow is now in Dublin north?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

This is an interesting idea.
    We used Romo and projection mapping to turn our living room into a Mario Kart-like racing game.
    http://kawalabo.blogspot.jp/2014/10/r...
    Not only can you race robots against each other on courses automatically generated to fit your room,
    you can fire missiles and bananas all over the room.
    We will be releasing the source code for RomoCart, so you can enjoy firing missiles in your living room too.

Has anyone got a H80i? Having serious grief with one, Link software will not detect it, issue with the USB HID drivers or something. Tried everything on Corsair forums etc., different USB cables, disabling USB hubs, registry tweaks etc. Running out of ideas, so any input appreciated. Otherwise RMA time again..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So I pulled this out of my ancient, broken laptop. http://i.imgur.com/JY9cUzq.jpg

I don't recognise these kind of hard drives connectors. This kinda tech was around before I got familiar with building. Anyone know if it's compatible with modern Mobos or if it'll be worth slapping into my rig?

PSU: be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 700W
    Mobo: MSI Z87-G43, ATX, Sockel 1150

Looks like an IDE drive, you can get IDE>SATA converters for a couple of notes The fact that its an old laptop-even if you get it and put it in your rig, it may not be long for this world anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

glynf wrote: »
    Has anyone got a H80i? Having serious grief with one, Link software will not detect it, issue with the USB HID drivers or something. Tried everything on Corsair forums etc., different USB cables, disabling USB hubs, registry tweaks etc. Running out of ideas, so any input appreciated. Otherwise RMA time again..

I had the saem problem with a h100i, its a nightmare. Finally I totally removexd the corsair link software and used a reg cleaner to get rid of all the junk. Removed the USB controllers in devices also.

Installed the new version of corsair link from their website (hidden in there like some sort of secret) that supports 8.1.

After randomly doing this several times it worked. Its a waste of time anyway the software is rubbish. Better controlling the fans from the motherboard.

Cheers fitzgeme, I have tried all the fixes and no joy. Scan are RMA'ing it, so hopefully the replacement works. All I wanted to use the software for was to change the LED colour, after that its two Noctua PPC PWM fans into m.board headers.

Link is a nice idea, but software appears to buggy piece of crap, more cables etc. and I don't like USB cables ruining the aesthetics of my build :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I think I asked this before but going to ask again, Does anyone have access to the members market on OCUK forums ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement