Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that have aged well

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Galaga
    Pacman
    Robotron 2047
    Defender
    Bubble Bobble
    Donkey Kong
    Star Wars
    Outrun
    Outrun 2/2006 psp/xbox/xbla
    Wipeout 2097
    F1 97 on the ps is still amazing
    Need for Speed on the 3DO
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei on the Saturn is still gorgeous
    Return Fire on the 3DO , a tangible onscreen toy box of war!
    Sensi Soccer is tremendous , far better than the attempted polygonal updates.
    Thunderforce IV on the Megadrive still holds up compared with the Shmup genres arcade best.
    Star Fox on a NTSC Snes is a revelation
    Mario 64 is still amazing
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Fantavision on PS2
    MSR, Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5 haven't aged at all, all on Dreamcast
    Tempest 2000, simply sublime, if you don't own it then at least buy a Vita to plat T2x instead, almost as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

krudler wrote: »
    Resident Evil REmake on the Gamecube, dem graphics...

I actually played that a few weeks ago, quality game as well, those button pressing moments are annoying as hell though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I love Double dragon 2 on the nes, one of the best games on the system but it does not seem to get any love online. Ecco and Sonic still are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,866 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love Double dragon 2 on the nes, one of the best games on the system but it does not seem to get any love online. Ecco and Sonic still are fantastic.

Ah double dragon 2 gets lots of love from the retro gaming community. Quality game and way better than the arcade version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The control system took a bit to get used to having to change buttons depending on what way you were facing, i cant even remember if there was the option to change it. Fun game htough, Double Dragon Advance is brilliant if you've never played it, it's a mix of the original and sequels with updated graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah double dragon 2 gets lots of love from the retro gaming community. Quality game and way better than the arcade version.

I just never see it on a list of anyone's favorite Nes games, The controls really become 2nd nature after a while. There was an arcade and Megadrive port but they were far inferior to the nes version.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭briany

Cormac... wrote: »
    I feel 16 bit stuff has aged better then 64 bit / early 3D stuff. I'd be loath to replay many of the N64 and PS2 classics personally.

Totally agree. So many early 3D games from '94 - '98 games look horrible and 3D games tend to age so fast in general. 3D was the next big evolution in gaming back in the early to mid nineties and obviously just about every developer was eager not to be left behind, but few really knew how to handle it. Even with Mario 64, I remember how weird it was just to have Mario tooling around, not knowing what to do next. Mario was never really meant for 3D in my opinion, although the 3D games are very good, they'll never be as good as his 2D exploits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Metal Gear Solid 4 looks brilliant 6 years later.
    Some of the evening sunsets in GTA IV where everything in Liberty City is caked in an orange brown tone are so atmospheric/depressing, better while listening to the Russian/Eastern radio and Ambient music station Journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody's said Half Life 2 yet. It's 10 years old and still looks amazing. The characters and expressions are still top class in my opinion.
    Half Life 2 is the first shooter that really sucked me in, very gripping plot that few other shooters have achieved successfully. I was so stunned at the end of Episode Two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,866 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Adamantium wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid 4 looks brilliant 6 years later.

Pity the game is still muck after 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Off the top of my head:

Last Ninja 2 (c64)
    Creatures 2 (c64)
    Bubble Bobble (c64)
    Nebulus (c64)
    Street Fighter 2 (snes)
    Prince of Persia (2D original) + Sands of Time
    Frontier Elite 2
    Dune 2: Battle for Arrakis
    Doom
    Rome Total War
    Battlefield 2 (Liked 1942 but subsequent sequels failed to catch what made 2 special. BC2 came close)
    SimCity 4
    Half Life + 2
    Doom 3
    Supreme Commander + Forged Alliance
    Bioshock + System Shock 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd still argue MK64 was way better. It was a decent kart racer for the PS1 to make up for the absence of Mario Kart but nothing more. It pretty much stole the Diddy Kong racing template as well, that there was a far better game than CTR.

I'd say DKR was Far superior to MK64 in almost all aspects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

final fantasy has aged well , I love them games ,and tomb raider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I think I'll be able to play Baldurs Gate 2 for the next 50 years, its such a fine wine. I have bought it 4 times and lost it each and every time (or gave it a lend to people, I can't remember). There will come a day I digitally download it and have it forever though, might end up teaching my grandchildren to play in the future, might take them away from their hanky panky virtual reality games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Wipeout HD Fury is just amazing. I never understood what the whole 60 FPS crowd in gaming were talking about until I played it.

Play all your own custom music, Kavisnky and Star Wars while flying around at hundreds of miles an hour in zone mode. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

two games I played for the first time recently and enjoyed immensely Far Cry and Super Metroid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I know I say this a lot, but QuakeWorld is still the best arena twitch shooter - Quake 3 was the only thing that ever came close.

The speed, physics and mechanics of QW are still unmatched as far as I'm concerned in the FPS space and it's an 18 year old game at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow on the Gameboy, still as enjoyable as they were when i was 10

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sweetie wrote: »
    two games I played for the first time recently and enjoyed immensely Far Cry and Super Metroid.

The original pc version of Far Cry was brilliant, all the extra power guff they stuck in Instincts wasn't necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Shiminay wrote: »
    I know I say this a lot, but QuakeWorld is still the best arena twitch shooter - Quake 3 was the only thing that ever came close.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was QuakeWorld the multiplayer on the original Quake? If so I'd have it right up there, but second only to Unreal Tournament, which for me built on and slightly improved the Quake experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Final Fantasy IX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭Patser

Company of Heroes is just about to celebrate its 8th birthday and is still the best RTS game out there IMO. It's never not been installed on whatever pc I have. Even it's much younger sequel doesn't quite work as well as the originals solo campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Super Mario Kart. What I'd give to have it HD'd in the original style (not 3d).

Would love a HD Red Alert too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Star Lord wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but was QuakeWorld the multiplayer on the original Quake? If so I'd have it right up there, but second only to Unreal Tournament, which for me built on and slightly improved the Quake experience.

It was an official mod written by Carmack and some others to make the game's network code work over TCP/IP (you need to remember kids that back then we still hadn't fully committed to TCP/IP for our networking). There's quite a difference between Vanilla (or WinQuake) and QW - mostly the physics are quite different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

FGR wrote: »
    Super Mario Kart. What I'd give to have it HD'd in the original style (not 3d).

Get Out!!!

But if you lurve Super Mario Kart on the Snes pick up a cheap DS Lite and use it to play the amazing GBA version of Super Mario Kart Super Circuit.
    It combines the best of both the Snes and N64 games, pure belter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

ALways thought that C&C RA 2 aged fantastically. Great fun RTS that.
    Deus Ex and Wizardry 8 are two others.

Like System Shock 2 I think the fact Deus ex never relied heavy on Graphical Aesthetics helps ages it better. Similarly with Wiz 8. The combat in Deus ex is probably the only thing that would frustrate someone if they sat down to play it today. There are some minor annoyances with that (Tranq Darts I'm looking at you) But overall I still think there yet exists a game to dethrone it as the best ever.

Wiz8 is just one of the best RPGs out there. Highly undderrated imo. So much depth and the amount of choice left up to the player is fantastic. I've played this almost as much as Deus ex (A LOT) And none of my two playthroughs have ever gone the same thanks to all the minor (and major) choices the player can make.

XIII still looks terrific to this day. I bought a PC copy at the weekend and after a bit of tinkering got it working and visually it hasn't aged a day. The cel shading looks great and it really suits the game. Gameplay is equally as good now as it was a decade ago and I'm really looking forward to giving the game a few hours later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

XIII still looks terrific to this day. I bought a PC copy at the weekend and after a bit of tinkering got it working and visually it hasn't aged a day. The cel shading looks great and it really suits the game. Gameplay is equally as good now as it was a decade ago and I'm really looking forward to giving the game a few hours later this evening.

loved that game, can remember some scenes still from playing on the xbox.
    I wonder is it backwards compatible with the 360.

• Advertisement

I played X-Com UFO Defense for the first time a few weeks ago. Despite an interface that I had to look up a manual to figure out it's pretty much in my top 20, maybe even top 10, best games ever made.

Advertisement