Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games that have aged well

Options
  • 28-08-2014 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I'm currently playing through Metal Gear solid for the first time in over 10 years and while many may disagree, I think it has aged quite well.

What games would you good people of boards suggest that are still easily playable after all these years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Street Fighter 2. All still as good as they were at launch.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

pong-flash-demo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Played through Psychonauts at the end of last year for the very first time - thought it looked fine and played great, despite being released in April 2005!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mario kart, and Mario kart 64, at least as multi player games. The computer AI on the snes was awful for one player though.

Also would second Mario world and street fighter.

Oh and the original command and conquer, way better than red alert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Worms - exempt the very first release ( Thats not playable at all )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I feel 16 bit stuff has aged better then 64 bit / early 3D stuff. I'd be loath to replay many of the N64 and PS2 classics personally.

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Worms - exempt the very first release ( Thats not playable at all )

You had to be there man :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of a stupid topic. A good game will be a good game forever and won't age. Some games can get away with good reviews and opinions at release due to have good graphics or hype, for example Goldeneye, Donkey Kong Country or GTA4, but their flaws were there at release they were just ignored and come to light later.

If you were to start listing games that have aged well you would be around forever. Games that haven't aged well is a better topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Cormac... wrote: »
    You had to be there man :pac:

I was there..I was...but now on my new LED screen...I see nothing...just small dots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

ionapaul wrote: »
    Played through Psychonauts at the end of last year for the very first time - thought it looked fine and played great, despite being released in April 2005!

I played it recently as well and thought the visuals were showing their age. Still the game itself is brilliant in all other respects and holds up well.

• Advertisement

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    I was there..I was...but now on my new LED screen...I see nothing...just small dots

You need to feel the worms, not simply see them, that would be too easy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 markhogan

Abe's Oddysee (Ps1) has ages very well in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Rome total war still playing it to this day, never gets old

Theme Hospital
    Donkey Kong Country
    Zombies

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kind of a stupid topic. A good game will be a good game forever and won't age. Some games can get away with good reviews and opinions at release due to have good graphics or hype, for example Goldeneye, Donkey Kong Country or GTA4, but their flaws were there at release they were just ignored and come to light later.

If you were to start listing games that have aged well you would be around forever. Games that haven't aged well is a better topic.

I love Donkey Kong Country, it's a great platformer

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

The Monkey Island games.

Even with their original graphic formats I think they're great looking games, and still highly enjoyable to play through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd be interested to hear your take on how Donkey Kong Country hasn't aged well, Retr0gamer. I absolutely loved it as a kid and again when I went back to it a good few years later. I'm rather worried now. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At release it was supposedly the greatest platformer ever with amazing graphics. Today the graphics look awful and plasticky and disguise a merely decent platformer and very basic platformer underneath. It's not a bad game just merely decent. There's way better on the snes including the sequel, mario world, yoshi and do re mi adventure to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

At release it was supposedly the greatest platformer ever with amazing graphics. Today the graphics look awful and plasticky and disguise a merely decent platformer and very basic platformer underneath. It's not a bad game just merely decent. There's way better on the snes including the sequel, mario world, yoshi and do re mi adventure to name a few.
    Huh, I never knew anyone rated it higher than Mario World and Yoishi's Island. I mean I loved it and all but still. In terms of the sequels I can't really remember the second one but I do remember not being a fan of the third.

Never even heard of DoReMi Fantasy (assuming that's the game you're referring to), is the version on the Wii VC cool to get?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Some good ones mentioned above alright!

Theme hospital
    Half Life
    Mortal Combat
    Emperor: Battle for Dune
    Earth 2140
    Far Cry
    Monkey Island
    Worms 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

gizmo wrote: »
    Huh, I never knew anyone rated it higher than Mario World and Yoishi's Island. I mean I loved it and all but still. In terms of the sequels I can't really remember the second one but I do remember not being a fan of the third.

Never even heard of DoReMi Fantasy (assuming that's the game you're referring to), is the version on the Wii VC cool to get?

There were some crazy high reviews of it, 98% and such. There's even still deluded individuals that rate it higher than Mario. There's a pretty good article here written about the game: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/reconsidering-donkey-kong-country-gamings-empty-handed-bluff

It really is very basic once you can look past the CGI graphics.

As for DoReMi it's not that well known since it never got a release outside of Japan. The VC version is great, it's an import game so runs in 60Hz with no letterboxing so a good way of experiencing it.

DKC2 is great alright, I wasn't a fan of the 3rd game though. Thought the graphics were worse than previous two as well for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mrty

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I'm currently playing through Metal Gear solid for the first time in over 10 years and while many may disagree, I think it has aged quite well.

What games would you good people of boards suggest that are still easily playable after all these years?

Battlefield 1942, graphics aged a small bit however it's still leaps and bounds ahead of most titles to date in game play.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

FFX
    Crash Team Racing
    Jak series
    Residen Evil 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DanielMad

Final Fantasy VII thats an all time game for me
    and one of the first GTA :) the above view was so good at that time and al the weird sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think a few are missing the point of the thread. This isn't "games that I love and still play". It's games that have aged well. Meaning they could pass for modern releases or you can play them and think "this plays/handles/visually looks excellent by todays standards." For example, FF7 has aged terribly both from a graphics and gameplay standpoint.

Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island both look and play brilliantly. If you look at the new Yoshi's Island, it looks worse even though its nearly two decades further on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I am surprised by the outcry and love for the crash bandicoot series , I remember liking 2 and 3 but they were hardly amazing games. very linear and never variation in level design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Zelda a link to the past.

Advertisement