Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dole Bank payments option scrapped for all?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Boombastic wrote: »
    looper333 wrote: »
    I got a letter this morning written in hand asking me to fill in a UP19 form and also informing me that i was to collect my dole payment from Post office from Tuesday coming as 'We do not make payments to bank accounts anymore' .

Are they writing hand written notes to everybody receiving bank payments or is this just for myself. I have been getting paid into bank for over 2 years now. I would rather not be getting any benefits of course but getting paid into Post office instead of bank is going to cause all sorts of unnecessary hassles when it comes to paying bills etc. I will have to do a lot of walking or paying 5 euros for a return bus trip to put money in bank by hand. I just don't see why they would return to this backward system. The weening out dole cheats i am all for but there are other ways that don't involve punishing everybody. What are the actual reasons if it is for everybody... unless of course they are just picking on me.

Poor you, poor you, pour you another drink:P

gcgirl wrote: »
    It actually costs more to pay your bills in post office, I also had to pay airtricty €300 since I did not use direct debit As a security deposit

Security deposit, not your bill
    Yes exactly it costs more

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭looper333

There are no jobs worth applying for in this country after it was sold out. The dole office/governments are not smart enough to stop cheats so perhaps they should lose their jobs and people with better ideas can take over and so run a better system that included 21st century methods of prevention and payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

There are no jobs worth applying for in this country after it was sold out. The dole office/governments are not smart enough to stop cheats so perhaps they should lose their jobs and people with better ideas can take over and so run a better system that included 21st century methods of prevention and payment.

What is a job worth applying for? Is a number of years unemployed not so mundane that you would consider up-skilling in a another area? I don't doubt that getting a dream job is nigh on impossible but how long do you stay in limbo waiting for things to change? You will be a long time waiting to get a job in the dole office because the staff there were all run out the door...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

stovelid wrote: »
    Get a decent job then.

A job that pays €180 for an hours work would probably qualify as a bit more than decent, no? Maybe you have a job that pays €8000 a week but I can confidently state most other people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Sykk wrote: »
    Wait a second? You mean they want you to actually walk down to the post office to collect your free money?! Having to stroll down during your busy unemployed schedule to the post office is just awful. What has the world come in to?!

Most severest of punishments if I've ever seen one!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Because nobody should have to pay a fiver on a bus trip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A job that pays €180 for an hours work would probably qualify as a bit more than decent, no? Maybe you have a job that pays €8000 a week but I can confidently state most other people don't.

You seem to be confidently stating a lot: much of it being judgmental horseshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

stovelid wrote: »
    You seem to be confidently stating a lot: much of it being judgmental horseshit.

As against your posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

There are no jobs worth applying for in this country after it was sold out. .

Nonsense:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

We have it easy these days lads. My folks have told me horror stories about having to sign on at the Garda Station every week to claim your dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

post office to collect dole payments.........fantastic idea.......

would be even better if they just had one office in o'connell street....for all social payments..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

We have it easy these days lads. My folks have told me horror stories about having to sign on at the Garda Station every week to claim your dole.

I agree, and if I was on the dole I'd rather pay €5 on a bus fare to get my dole money than nothing at all.

Its high time dole cheats were filtered out but sadly the gov do not have the resources to do this efficiently, its a viscious cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As against your posts?

As opposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

How has this thread degenerated into such utter idiocy.
    If you're on the dole, your money goes to the post office, simples!

You have 4 days to collect it at your leasure, you can then spend 10 mins strolling to the nearest bank and lodging it so your bills are paid via DD, maybe buy yourself a chocolate bar for all your hard work and then go home in time for Jeremy Kyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I know what it's like to be on the dole, it is humiliating having to queue up in the PO.

I used it as an incentive to find a job, even buying a 2nd hand bicycle to travel around looking for work when the tax disc on my car expired.

Now Im back working, and thankful those days are behind me.

KeithTS wrote: »
    How has this thread degenerated into such utter idiocy.
    If you're on the dole, your money goes to the post office, simples!

You have 4 days to collect it at your leasure, you can then spend 10 mins strolling to the nearest bank and lodging it so your bills are paid via DD, maybe buy yourself a chocolate bar for all your hard work and then go home in time for Jeremy Kyle.

I don't like your post.

It's three days, not four. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

[QUOTE=jar_of_coins;79828475]I know what it's like to be on the dole, it is humiliating having to queue up in the PO.

I used it as an incentive to find a job, even buying a 2nd hand bicycle to travel around looking for work when the tax disc on my car expired.

Now Im back working, and thankful those days are behind me.[/QUOTE]

apt username is was apt:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I know what it's like to be on the dole, it is humiliating having to queue up in the PO.

The way i see it, chances are you're in a queue with other job seekers so no need to feel embarrassed. The post office workers don't care that they're giving you it, its not their money. If you're doing your best to find work then you have no need to feel bad about it at all.

Normally i'll just smile, sign my slip of paper, and collect my money, say thank you and go lodge most of it. Its very easy to have a negative frame of mind walking into the PO every week but you gotta do it, might as well view it as a means to an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

mikemac1 wrote: »
    An extra 4% of people in the system never signed on at the time of the volcanic dust cloud

Where'd you hear/see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I don't like your post.

It's three days, not four. :p

My bad, but the main point is nobody need miss Jeremy Kyle or that new Gino lunchtime cookery show, thats good TV

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mine used to go into my bank acocunt so easy now i have to go to the office its embarrasing

The government wants to shame you into leaving the country by letting you put up with the pointing fingers and whispering amongst the customers when you're in the post office.

It's part of the government master-plan to reduce the unemployment figures.

• Advertisement

My bad, but the main point is nobody need miss Jeremy Kyle or that new Gino lunchtime cookery show, thats good TV

Please don't assume everyone on the dole watches that tripe.

Give me an episode of Maury any day. I love finding out if the man is the baby daddy or not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Mate was getting his benefits into his account up until a few months ago,they only stopped paying it into that because he missed a few signing on days and they probably got suspicious that he was working (he wasn't,he's just a sieve headed eejit!)

Some of the condescending remarks from some people in here are sickening too btw.

and there's bound to be an offie near the post office:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Where'd you hear/see this?

It was widely discussed in the media at the time!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ash-cloud-crisis-exposes-welfare-tourists-2245558.html

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭looper333

Last signing day i was told off for being 5 minutes late joining a Queue that took 40 mins to get to counter. He started pointing his pen at me like i was a little kid and him the headmaster ( i am older than him) Ten mins late and he would have hardly known that but who cares when it is 10 mins, not like it was 3 hours. I asked him for the next time when i arrive can i come straight up to counter to meet my correct signing time , he lost the plot saying no etc. He continued to talk to me like a child so i asked again 'can i come straight up to counter for my correct time instead of joining a Queue that takes 40 mins. He said ' i will be hearing something about this' . I guess this measure is the result of simply making a valid point to an absolute prat.

ps . i never watch Mr Kyle, i prefer reruns of ' Curb your enthusiasm'

Boombastic wrote: »
    and there's bound to be an offie near the post office:pac:

The issue for me is the offo is closer to my home than the post office. I just don't see the point in having to go further than the offo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It takes a lot more effort than getting on a bus for me to earn the equivalent of your dole payment.

So just leave your job if life on the dole is so handy.

The issue for me is the offo is closer to my home than the post office. I just don't see the point in having to go further than the offo :D

That'll keep the problem solving and decision making skills sharp, something to add to the CV:D

and the exercise -cheaper than joining a gym, you're actually earning money!!

Nowhere is too far to walk when you've money to collect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

dm09 wrote: »

Pity they wouldn't list how many don't turn up in a normal week for comparison. 2.3% total didn't turn up that week, for all reasons.
    "A certain number of those 3,515 would also have come back on later in the week and their payment continued as normal."

But the spokeswoman said the week of the ash-cloud crisis did show an increased number of absentees.

"It's increased on other weeks but it's not huge," she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If there's a bookie close by, it would be paradise.:P

Advertisement