Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole Bank payments option scrapped for all?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I got a letter this morning written in hand asking me to fill in a UP19 form and also informing me that i was to collect my dole payment from Post office from Tuesday coming as 'We do not make payments to bank accounts anymore' .

Are they writing hand written notes to everybody receiving bank payments or is this just for myself. I have been getting paid into bank for over 2 years now. I would rather not be getting any benefits of course but getting paid into Post office instead of bank is going to cause all sorts of unnecessary hassles when it comes to paying bills etc. I will have to do a lot of walking or paying 5 euros for a return bus trip to put money in bank by hand. I just don't see why they would return to this backward system. The weening out dole cheats i am all for but there are other ways that don't involve punishing everybody. What are the actual reasons if it is for everybody... unless of course they are just picking on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

looper333 wrote: »
    I got a letter this morning written in hand asking me to fill in a UP19 form and also informing me that i was to collect my dole payment from Post office from Tuesday coming as 'We do not make payments to bank accounts anymore' .

Are they writing hand written notes to everybody receiving bank payments or is this just for myself. I have been getting paid into bank for over 2 years now. I would rather not be getting any benefits of course but getting paid into Post office instead of bank is going to cause all sorts of unnecessary hassles when it comes to paying bills etc. I will have to do a lot of walking or paying 5 euros for a return bus trip to put money in bank by hand. I just don't see why they would return to this backward system. The weening out dole cheats i am all for but there are other ways that don't involve punishing everybody. What are the actual reasons if it is for everybody... unless of course they are just picking on me.

About time they stopped paying into the bank accounts of people who are not even resident in the country any more. It might feel like a bit of extra hassle to some but if it means saving hundreds of millions in welfare fraud and therefore, less cuts in the future, it will be well worth the added hassle, do you not agree?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If you have a bank account with AIB you can lodge money into your account in the post office. They have been not paying into banks accounts for most people who signed on in the last few years as a way of cutting out fraud. Basically there was a number of people who could leave the country and only need to come back to Ireland to sign on once a month or once every 3 months depending on how far away they lived from the local signing on center.

Also I do not just mean foreign nationals. I know some Irish people who did it as well. Don't know if they still do it. One lad was bragging years ago about how he was over working in England cash in hand. His mother would ring him when he got a slip saying he had to sign on and he would fly home on the cheapest Ryanair flight, sign on and go back to England to work. I haven't heard or seen him since but if there is any karma in the world then he got caught when the ash cloud forced all flights grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

it makes sense to me, i had it in Galway going into my account just had to show up and sign once a month.

If people have to go in and collect it it will cut down on cheats but only if you have to show ID too and have a way to track names faces etc.

Other than that keep the bank system but do it in such a way that some aspects can be checked (pps numbers, names, address, account numbers)

the collection will also get those who sign on and travel home, only coming back to the country once a month (and by that i don't just mean polish or travellers but Irish people who claim on both sides of the boarder too)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I will have to do a lot of walking or paying 5 euros for a return bus trip to put money in bank by hand.

You have plenty of time on your hands for walking;)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

It takes a lot more effort than getting on a bus for me to earn the equivalent of your dole payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Would have been better in State Benefits here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

But yes, I think that unless your circumstances are very extreme/unusual, you have to walk to the post office.

There has to be a closer one than a five euro bus trip

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only problem will be the 20 mile long queue at the post offices on dole-day. It'll take them all a week to pay everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

This is a move to show people that they are tackling the problem of dole cheats when in fact it wont make much of a difference.

What about people on jobbridge who are working 9-5.30 every day in order to give themselves a chance of employment. Will the likes of myself now have to take a few hrs of to travel to my local PO to pick up my allowance, go to bank and queu to lodge it before returning to work?? I know its only a few hrs but as my local PO is in the suburbs and I work in city centre this would be a lot of hassle.

This is another ill thought out bullsh1t solution. As with everything else that is wrong in this country it is easier to do something like this than to tackel the problem at the root!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It gets you out of the house. I don't find going to the post office any hassle. I'm just grateful that I get anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Tell em you're disabled and can't go to the post office.

You might even get free disability money too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard they're just doing it to specifically annoy you.

Probably because the lads in the dole office really really hated your 'F*ck Jobs' t-shirt that you used to wear when you were going in to sign on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Just think of it as a sponsored walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The only problem will be the 20 mile long queue at the post offices on dole-day. It'll take them all a week to pay everybody.

Silly man. We get the money on different days and it's there for three days.

We're safe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭looper333

It won't stop any cuts in the future though! There are other ways to catch cheats living abroad. It will cost lots of people money from their welfare due to traveling to get payments, late or delayed payments of bills easily done through bank will incur penalties payable to bank, more staff costs for post offices to cope with lines of customers... the time and energy wasted is not worth it when bank payments are available. Maybe they are preparing for major bank problems like we seen at Ulster bank.. maybe it is for the cheats... maybe the dole or doing what they did a couple of years ago and are gradually trying to trick people off dole by tripping tthem up until they miss something and so can't get paid for 3 months and probably starve to death... bad times are ahead when they cut a further 20 or 30 off in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

An extra 4% of people in the system never signed on at the time of the volcanic dust cloud

Not using bank accounts was done for a very good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

frag420 wrote: »
    This is a move to show people that they are tackling the problem of dole cheats when in fact it wont make much of a difference.

What about people on jobbridge who are working 9-5.30 every day in order to give themselves a chance of employment. Will the likes of myself now have to take a few hrs of to travel to my local PO to pick up my allowance, go to bank and queu to lodge it before returning to work?? I know its only a few hrs but as my local PO is in the suburbs and I work in city centre this would be a lot of hassle.

This is another ill thought out bullsh1t solution. As with everything else that is wrong in this country it is easier to do something like this than to tackel the problem at the root!!

I'm sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to expect you to, and that being on the Jobbridge scheme is proof enough that you're genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Get them to post it out to you.

Being a post office, they will likely know how to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I thought they stopped doing that bank payment thing years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bring your bills with you and pay them in the post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Bring your bills with you and pay them in the post office.
    It actually costs more to pay your bills in post office, I also had to pay airtricty €300 since I did not use direct debit As a security deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I'd imagine people on job bridge and that will still get it pain into n account.

I'm on BTEA and have heard of no changes to the way I receive it, it'd be madness if they did coz I'd end up missing lectures and whatnot as a result.

It's a good idea all the same, I have a friend who spent a few months travelling around Europe with her boyfriend, both were on the dole and only had to fly back to Ireland once to sign on in the few months they were away.

It's going to inconvenience a lot of people, those with kids etc, but its madness that unemloyed people without a legit reason to be able to make it to the post office would get it into an account.
    Btw, its put into an account on say Thrusday and available to collect up until the Tuesday evening so its not too much hassle, I never once collected my dole and had to wait in a queue down the road because I just waited a couple of days and got it when it was quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Are they writing hand written notes to everybody receiving bank payments or is this just for myself. I have been getting paid into bank for over 2 years now. I would rather not be getting any benefits of course but getting paid into Post office instead of bank is going to cause all sorts of unnecessary hassles when it comes to paying bills etc. I will have to do a lot of walking or paying 5 euros for a return bus trip to put money in bank by hand. I just don't see why they would return to this backward system. The weening out dole cheats i am all for but there are other ways that don't involve punishing everybody.

Wait a second? You mean they want you to actually walk down to the post office to collect your free money?! Having to stroll down during your busy unemployed schedule to the post office is just awful. What has the world come in to?!

Most severest of punishments if I've ever seen one!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

mine used to go into my bank acocunt so easy now i have to go to the office its embarrasing

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

... the time and energy wasted is not worth it when bank payments are available.

People in employment have to do everything you mention as well except they don't have a week off to do it in. Seriously if you can't be trusted to arrange your life around the hour of "work" you'll have to do then this change is the least of your problems. Not to be rude but why should your convenience matter at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It won't stop any cuts in the future though! There are other ways to catch cheats living abroad. It will cost lots of people money from their welfare due to traveling to get payments, late or delayed payments of bills easily done through bank will incur penalties payable to bank, more staff costs for post offices to cope with lines of customers... the time and energy wasted is not worth it when bank payments are available. Maybe they are preparing for major bank problems like we seen at Ulster bank.. maybe it is for the cheats... maybe the dole or doing what they did a couple of years ago and are gradually trying to trick people off dole by tripping tthem up until they miss something and so can't get paid for 3 months and probably starve to death... bad times are ahead when they cut a further 20 or 30 off in December.
    Oh will you get up off your lazy hole and go to the Post Office without complaining. You do realise that these kinds of anti-fraud measures are there as an alternative to reducing your dole payments further? You do have the option to not claim it it's too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

frag420 wrote: »

People on JobBridge will not be affected by this. It only affects people on Jobseeker's Allowance/Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

I said this to one of your other threads.

Are you actually saying you're too lazy to take an hour or two to walk to the post office, get your free 190euro and then go to the bank to deposit it.
    It's not as if you have to take time off work do this, so what exactly in your life is this interrupting? xBox, PS3? What is it really?

You Sir dont deserve it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Poor you, poor you, pour you another drink:P

gcgirl wrote: »
    It actually costs more to pay your bills in post office, I also had to pay airtricty €300 since I did not use direct debit As a security deposit

Security deposit, not your bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Could you use the visit to buy stamps/ post applications. I am thankfully not on JSB (yet!) but I am looking for a job for Sept and seem to spend half my life preparing and posting off applications. I see the staff in the post office as often as I see my friends. Would you not need to be using the post office to apply for jobs? Anything to limit fraud is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It takes a lot more effort than getting on a bus for me to earn the equivalent of your dole payment.

Get a decent job then.

Advertisement