Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 179 - Aldo v Mendes 2

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

figs666 wrote: »
    plus ufc wont have conor fight a elite level wrestler because it would be lay and pray and then he is no 10 contender and aldo has beaten everyone else .

Conor is going to have to fight one some day in the UFC, better he fights one now and shows he can beat them than face Aldo and win then lose the belt in his first defence against Mendes/Bermudez or another top level wrestler and be shown to have a massive weakness if it exists. It would be better for Conor to be fighting Bermudez next and then a title shot at Aldo, not this pointless fight with Siver.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Axwell wrote: »
    Conor is going to have to fight one some day in the UFC, better he fights one now and shows he can beat them than face Aldo and win then lose the belt in his first defence against Mendes/Bermudez or another top level wrestler and be shown to have a massive weakness if it exists. It would be better for Conor to be fighting Bermudez next and then a title shot at Aldo, not this pointless fight with Siver.

it reminds me of the dan hardy getting a shot at GSP . GSP had beaten everyone and dan was sent in way too early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

@axwell

I never said anything about not trying to finish or win convincingly, but having to do so isn't fair. You could give it socks for 5 rounds and come out marginally on top, but still lose. Not everyone involved in a marginal win went in with the intention to win marginally, sometimes 2 fighters are evenly matched but one performs slightly better round for round. The guy who performs marginally better should get the belt regardless of whether he's champ or challenger.

On your last paragraph, I don't agree with that. It's been seen before that judges favour the champ so it isn't always the best man that wins (or gets fair judgement on the scorecard). Shogun/Machida 1, Hendricks/GSP (I didn't disagree with the judges but most did) are examples.

I agree McG should have been set up for Bermudez, but I wouldn't be too quick to assume that Bermudez will beat Lamas.

@axwell

I never said anything about not trying to finish or win convincingly, but having to do so isn't fair. You could give it socks for 5 rounds and come out marginally on top, but still lose. Not everyone involved in a marginal win went in with the intention to win marginally, sometimes 2 fighters are evenly matched but one performs slightly better round for round. The guy who performs marginally better should get the belt regardless of whether he's champ or challenger.

On your last paragraph, I don't agree with that. It's been seen before that judges favour the champ so it isn't always the best man that wins (or gets fair judgement on the scorecard). Shogun/Machida 1, Hendricks/GSP (I didn't disagree with the judges but most did) are examples.

I agree McG should have been set up for Bermudez, but I wouldn't be too quick to assume that Bermudez will beat Lamas.

what about next fights

mcgregor v edgar ( if he beats swanson)

aldo v mendes 3

then winners of these fight for title ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Aldo was the better fighter but his constant whinging to the ref trying to get points taken off Mendes was extremely irritating and just bad sportsmanship especially considering the dirty punches he threw after the bell in the first. Not a fan of him.

Hazys wrote: »
    Aldo was the better fighter but his constant whinging to the ref trying to get points taken off Mendes was extremely irritating and just bad sportsmanship especially considering the dirty punches he threw after the bell in the first. Not a fan of him.

very true . aldo was bitching a lot . i think he should have a point deducted for them punches after the buzzer

@axwell

what about next fights

mcgregor v edgar ( if he beats swanson)

aldo v mendes 3

then winners of these fight for title ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Hazys wrote: »
    Come on guys! It wasnt dirty punches! Ref didn't hear the horn either. Fight until your stopped. Crowd were really noisy at that point as it looked like aldo was going to finish him.

Come again? Looks like you've quoted me and brought up something completely different. :D

On that though, if Swanson wins it looks like he gets the next shot and rightly so. If Edgar wins then McGregor has a better chance of the next shot (if he beats Siver of course), and I reckon he'd get it tbh. Bermudez isn't far behind if he can beat Lamas. Mendes is probably a fight or two away from another shot at least, seeing he gave Aldo such a war at the weekend though a trilogy isn't out of the question. It's all a bit complicated, there are so many challengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What would have happened if Aldo knocked him clean out, in that instance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

adamski8 wrote: »
    Come on guys! It wasnt dirty punches! Ref didn't hear the horn either. Fight until your stopped. Crowd were really noisy at that point as it looked like aldo was going to finish him.

The ref clearly knew the round was over (and so did Aldo and Mendes who appeared to stop before being dropped) and he was putting his hands in front of the fighters as Aldo threw. The ref warned Aldo about the punches, so the ref clearly knew Aldo was in the wrong. The punches were pretty significant and its amazing no points were deducted. Also if the ref didn't know the bell was coming, then he shouldn't be a ref. TBF i think the only blemish on the ref was not deducting points there, he handled the constant whinging from Aldo well.

16 secs into the clip:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

dave1982 wrote: »

Hes a big boy, interested to see how non TRT vitor will be KO wise, always loved him and enjoy most of his fights, dying for the weidman fight!

The first time I saw it I thought it was very late, especially the last right hand which I thought was completely unnecessary. Bare in mind my video wasn't the best quality, I'll watch it again tonight on 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 machiavelli99

McGreggor is a great fighter, I just can't see him beating Aldo though.

McGreggor is a great fighter, I just can't see him beating Aldo though.

when someone with an unusual style comes into ufc like machina gracies mcgregor or gunni . nobody can cope with their unpredictable strikes .then people develop counters and they get beaten . just watch gunni v rich story

• Registered Users Posts: 7 machiavelli99

when someone with an unusual style comes into ufc like machina gracies mcgregor or gunni . nobody can cope with their unpredictable strikes .then people develop counters and they get beaten . just watch gunni v rich story

I can just see Aldo hacking away at that front leg of McGregor's. McGregor has looked far stronger than any of his opponents so far but I think Aldo will match him for that. If I was McGregor Id definitely have a few more fights and put some money in the bank before he thinks about taking on Aldo.

I disagree, they tend to fight better and better competition as they make their way up the ranking and therefore more likely to lose as its stiffer competition. If story had fought gunni in gunnis ufc debut he probably would have beaten him the same way he just did!

ref has an earpiece . he should have been between them on the buzzer otherwise get a ref that can .

• Advertisement

ref has an earpiece . he should have been between them on the buzzer otherwise get a ref that can .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

You don't just drop your hands completely when you hear the buzzer though. Aldo was mid combination when the buzzer sounded.

You sure? Ive never seen or heard that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

The referees in PRIDE used to wear earpieces as far as I remember.

Not sure about the UFC though. I do remember a few years ago, Dana White saying that they SHOULD have earpieces precisely for the reason being discussed here, ie: to hear the ten second warning and the buzzer at the end of the round.

John_D80 wrote: »
    The referees in PRIDE used to wear earpieces as far as I remember.

Not sure about the UFC though. I do remember a few years ago, Dana White saying that they SHOULD have earpieces precisely for the reason being discussed here, ie: to hear the ten second warning and the buzzer at the end of the round.

that is an epic mistake for a ref . it simple shouldn't have happened and the killer thing is no point deducted means it goes unpunished so will happen again .

that is an epic mistake for a ref . it simple shouldn't have happened and the killer thing is no point deducted means it goes unpunished so will happen again .

How can it be an epic mistake if no one in the vincity of the horn could hear it? Commissioners fault for not having a horn loud enough. If chads camp isn't making a big deal of it why are you?

• Advertisement

How can it be an epic mistake if no one in the vincity of the horn could hear it? Commissioners fault for not having a horn loud enough. If chads camp isn't making a big deal of it why are you?

mark goodard is no good .

i have just watched paddy holohan getting his bleached body beating to a pulp and the ref was in at the buzzer each round .

big john mccarthy won't leave that happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Dana White, Mendes, Aldo and Mendes Corner. This is a list of people who said they couldn't hear the buzzer and aren't troubled by the fact it happened.

It happened in 1 of 5 rounds and the ref is crucified. For all 5 rounds Marc Goddard done a great job in letting the fight go on and dismissing calls for a break when some refs would have caved. Numerous fights are marred by bad ref decisions, this wasn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It looked worse 1st time in replay it didn't look as bad as it looked like aldo didn't intention hit after the bell, If Chad had been Ko'd I assume it would have been a NC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

i have just watched paddy holohan getting his bleached body beating to a pulp and the ref was in at the buzzer each round .

John McCarthy is way overrated as a referee. Goddard messed up but he is usually one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For anybody without BT/Setanta, a reply of this event is on at 10pm on 3E tonight at 10pm.

The countdown show is on at the moment.

• Advertisement

Man I think you need to give up on this, no one agrees with you

Man I think you need to give up on this, no one agrees with you

what about renan barao moving up to 145 . Barao v aldo . that would be a good scrap

if the fans want to see it then dana will make it happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

@BrianStann

Also, confirmed with many camps after fights that they could not hear 10 second warnings, corners, or bells due to the crowd noise

now can we move on

Devastator wrote: »
    now can we move on

well on fairness mendes kicked him in the balls twice and one eyepokes

Devastator wrote: »
    now can we move on

well on fairness mendes kicked him in the balls twice and one eyepokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just finished watching this. Phil Davis' weird call out of Anderson Silva was quite bizarre. Don't think Silva quite knew how to react to it.

Great main event. Really fun scrap.

Really enjoyed Maldonado's comeback. Thought he was definitely coming off a 10-8 round in the first.

Nice moment with Anderson too.

Teixeira never got going much to the improvement of Phil Davis. Very dominant performance.

As for the rest of the card. Fairly meh but quite enjoyed Magny's fight in the prelims. Very good performance from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That_Guy wrote: »
    As for the rest of the card. Fairly meh but quite enjoyed Magny's fight in the prelims. Very good performance from him.

Me too. He really showed that he was there to fight for 15 minutes. Kept his composure and grew stronger as the fight when on.

5-0 in 2014.

Mellor wrote: »
    Me too. He really showed that he was there to fight for 15 minutes. Kept his composure and grew stronger as the fight when on.

5-0 in 2014.

just watched the paddy holohan fight . he took some punishment in round two . good scrap

just watched the paddy holohan fight . he took some punishment in round two . good scrap

Why do you keep bring up that fight?
    Am I missing a joke here or did you only seen it for the first time recently (twice?)

Why do you keep bring up that fight?
    Am I missing a joke here or did you only seen it for the first time recently (twice?)

no . i just watched it on fightpass . i tjought it was a really good fight . he took some punishment at the end of round two but continued on . he showed true heart .

the reason i brought it up people were talking about prelims of 179 and i just happened to watch prelims of mcdonald'l fight night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I watched these fights coming off night shift so excuse me if my memory is fuzzy, but wasn't there a fella in the prelims who took an illegal up kick to the jaw/chin and went down in a heap holding his eye?

Shades of Koscheck!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I watched these fights coming off night shift so excuse me if my memory is fuzzy, but wasn't there a fella in the prelims who took an illegal up kick to the jaw/chin and went down in a heap holding his eye?

Shades of Koscheck!

Yeah. Andre Fili kicked Arantes.
    It's wasn't a clear cut, intentional kick from the guard - like Silva v Okami. It was the result of a scramble after a triangle attempt. It hit the side of neck/jaw and he went down holding his eye. Bad form. I'm glad no point was taken, as it would have made it a draw.

It's wasn't a clear cut, intentional kick from the guard - like Silva v Okami. It was the result of a scramble after a triangle attempt. It hit the side of neck/jaw and he went down holding his eye. Bad form. I'm glad no point was taken, as it would have made it a draw.

the kick looked unintentional and these things happen . BUT

did anyone think mcgregor v poirier hook to the back of his head was illegal . it looked unintentional BUT the hammerfist to the back of the head on the way down was definitely intentional and highly ILLEGAL . ANYBODY ?

did anyone think mcgregor v poirier hook to the back of his head was illegal . it looked unintentional BUT the hammerfist to the back of the head on the way down was definitely intentional and highly ILLEGAL . ANYBODY ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2369369/mcgregor-can-hit-to-the-back-of-the-head/?&page=2

Look up where it is a back of the head strike.
    Punch that knocked him down was okay.

For the fight also looks a beast but did not kick much which would be good for conor if they meet.

I think you need to brush up on the rules.

The hook that put him down was not illegal. Back of the ear is a perfectly legal zone.
    As/After he went down, one hammer fist inadvertently struck the illegal area as Porrier moved (not intentional btw), but he immediate adjusted his strikes. That's also not illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mohawk area = bad, everywere else = good is the easiest way iv seen it explained, blows were legal. Explained by about 1028101 different professionals after the fight when people brought it up. One grounded shot was inadvertently illegal because of DP moving but then the strikes were adjusted and fight finished legally.

ASOT wrote: »
    Mohawk area = bad, everywere else = good
    This.

When asked about the back of the head zone, a UFC ref told be it was same width a mobile phone, conveniently thats about the size of a mohawk ;)

People getting bent out of shape about the behind the ear shot is ridiculous.

Advertisement