Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 179 - Aldo v Mendes 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

On one hand I don't think Aldo has faced anything like Conor's standup yet and I think he'd be willing to stand which is good for Conor, plus he was getting hit pretty often last night, but on the other hand the intensity of yesterday with Aldo's variety and ability to take shots makes me think he's not ready yet. Personally I wouldn't be confident of McG against Mendes either, the fact that he could take Aldo down tells me he could probably take down McG consistently. I think Aldo, Frankie and Mendes are the top 3, luckily for Conor Frankie's ageing but doesn't seem to be declining. I'd be much more confident of Conor against Cub or Bermudez.

I actually think McGregor has a better chance against Aldo than he does Mendes or Edgar.

Mendes, as you say has fantastic wrestling. Although i do think if they fought Mendes would lose his cool and try and bang with Conor, which could of course play into Conors' hand.

Edgar on the hand though would not be so silly. He's far too long in the tooth to fall for any of the pre fight antics. He's just a steady eddie and i think he'd be too cute for Conor in the long run.

Either way though, its exciting times isnt it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Was a great fight, really disappointed for chad, been supporting him since day one and i feel he made some small mistakes that cost him the fight, he 100% had the beating of Jose if he was a little more conservative. Agree with everyone else 48/47 would be about right, wouldnt complain if there was a draw either myself. One of the fights of the year, unlucky to chad but again Jose shows why hes champ wit his ability to overcome.

mailburner wrote: »
    48/47 is how I saw it also but wouldnt argue either way

the 30-27 score by one judge for martins in the elkins fight was one of the worst ive ever heard
    texeira is more or less finished, the shane carwin of the div, expected more than that from him even if davis is a hard lad to fight, was hoping for something similiar to what rumble did to davis but tex just plain slow in comparison

delighted for maldonado but stringer is poor, can't remember seeing so many wrestlers on one card, elkins shocking to watch, couldnt wait for that fight to end

That was an absolute joke, i really taught elkins was going to get screwed over there, how the fck can someone get a 30/27 when the two other judges went the opposite way with the same scoreline, reminded me of Gunni/Story were the juges were WAY off from each other. Seems to be happening every single event now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I felt Chad was a little unlucky, although it's hard to deny Aldo the win too. Great fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

King Aldo is already here and will deal swiftly with any contenders in due course.

One of the best fights I've ever seen.

Mcgregor would be beaten badly by either man. They both looked a couple of levels above him tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Mcgregor would be beaten badly by either man. They both looked a couple of levels above him tonight.

I disagree. Conor has a 4inch reach advantage over Aldo and an 8inch reach over Mendes. Both were static at times and Conor is more than able to make either pay.

It was a great contest last night, but I don't believe either fighter looked untouchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

anywhere i can catch the fight from last night?

zweton wrote: »

I got it on torrent. I can't tell you where, lest I get carded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kinggo99

Its going out on tv3 tomorrow night i think if you are of a patient disposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,923 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

zweton wrote: »

10.30 bt sports 2 tonite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

I'm a big Conor McGregor fan but while watching that fight last night I just kept thinking thank god he was outside the cage and not in it with either of them. I can see Mendes doing to Conor what Lesnar did to Mir at UFC 100, take him down at will and make him pay for all the smack talk. I really hope I'm wrong I'd love to see Conor on top of the division.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Just a stat I came across for those that think Aldo wasnt at his best in terms of his striking..

"Aldo landed 102 significant strikes in his victory, a personal single-fight best in his UFC/WEC career."

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

That was 2 of the very best in the world going toe to toe, it was a sight to behold. I really look forward to how Conor gets on vs the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Is the post fight presser worth a watch?

ps3man wrote: »
    Is the post fight presser worth a watch?

I was told so as they mention McGregor. Does anyone have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Don't watch the sport and don't know jack about it. However I am interested in the McGregor story.

Would he have any chance against either of the two lads?? Both of them kinda look bigger I thought than McGregor? Again before anyone gets smart I'll freely admit I don't know
    jack about the sport.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    I was told so as they mention McGregor. Does anyone have a link?

Here's a link to the highlights. No mention of Conor.

Full.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Here's a link to the highlights. No mention of Conor.

youtube " octogon interview "

mendes said conor was lucky he lost because mendes was looking forward to beating his ass .

also does anyone else think mendes win that fight ?

plus a point should be deducted for illegal punches after buzzer on round one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I dont think it should have been a point deducted. Aldo had a combo in his head and completed it. Goodard was a bit slow getting in the middle, very understanable as they are so fast. I was very impressed with their pace throughout the fight.

Man that fight saved a terrible card!

adamski8 wrote: »
    I dont think it should have been a point deducted. Aldo had a combo in his head and completed it. Goodard was a bit slow getting in the middle, very understanable as they are so fast. I was very impressed with their pace throughout the fight.

Man that fight saved a terrible card!

i enjoyed the phil davis fight . his dragging opponents to the ground is simple but effective .

aldo and goodard said they couldn't hear the buzzer with the crowd . which i believe .

does anyone think mendes deserved that fight . i thought at least a split decision .

I did also enjoy the techique and ease of phils takedowns and control. Unfortunately that didn't make it a good fight. No real submission attempts or ground and pound. So quite a boring fight with glover not offering much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,598 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Axwell wrote: »
    Just a stat I came across for those that think Aldo wasnt at his best in terms of his striking..

"Aldo landed 102 significant strikes in his victory, a personal single-fight best in his UFC/WEC career."

Source
    His early fights didn't last 25 minutes. And they would have score higher than 4sig.strikes per min.

It maybe highlights his best UFC performance, but not career imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Don't watch the sport and don't know jack about it. However I am interested in the McGregor story.

Would he have any chance against either of the two lads?? Both of them kinda look bigger I thought than McGregor? Again before anyone gets smart I'll freely admit I don't know
    jack about the sport.

Personally, I think he'll get his title shot against Aldo and lose but he'll have a chance. Aldo for me is just too good everywhere and is possibly p4p #1. I see McG eventually sitting just outside the very elite of the division, which is no shame seeing FW is possibly the strongest division in the UFC. That's just my prediction though, if I'm being honest we still don't know just how good McG is yet.

I get what you mean when you say they look bigger than McG but it's because he's lanky and rangy whereas the other 2 are bulkier, but you can be sure that McG weighs more than Mendes and is probably a similar weight to Aldo.

Personally, I think he'll get his title shot against Aldo and lose but he'll have a chance. Aldo for me is just too good everywhere and is possibly p4p #1. I see McG eventually sitting just outside the very elite of the division, which is no shame seeing FW is possibly the strongest division in the UFC. That's just my prediction though, if I'm being honest we still don't know just how good McG is yet.

I get what you mean when you say they look bigger than McG but it's because he's lanky and rangy whereas the other 2 are bulkier, but you can be sure that McG weighs more than Mendes and is probably a similar weight to Aldo.

i don't see mcgregor getting past edgar , mendes or aldo .

That's exactly what I meant when I said he sits outside the elite, should have specified. I think Aldo, Mendes and Edgar are a cut above. The only saving grace is that he probably won't have to fight Mendes or Edgar to get to a TS, and stylistically Aldo could match up well with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Would Nick Diaz still have record strikes landed in a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Would it not be better for him to fight Mendes (no2) and then build up to Aldo? Build the excitement like?

figs666 wrote: »
    i don't see mcgregor getting past edgar , mendes or aldo .

When Jon Jones got the chance to replace an injured Evans. The general tone was that he's not ready, that Rua was a cut above Hammil, Vera, Bader etc. Jones entered that fight as an underdog.

I see it going one of two ways.

Conor fights in January. So it's entirely possible for him to fight Edgar/Swanson in March or April.

Conor beats Siver in January and Aldo fights the winner of Edgar v Swanson in February/March. Both line up nicely for a mid-summer outdoor event in Dublin.

I see it going one of two ways.

Conor fights in January. So it's entirely possible for him to fight Edgar/Swanson in March or April.

Conor beats Siver in January and Aldo fights the winner of Edgar v Swanson in February/March. Both line up nicely for a mid-summer outdoor event in Dublin.

thats if conor gets past siver . he came into ufc with this straight backed flat footed style ( like gunnar ) and nobody had an answer for them . but now they do a la rich story .

thats if conor gets past siver . he came into ufc with this straight backed flat footed style ( like gunnar ) and nobody had an answer for them . but now they do a la rich story .

Of course. I think Conor and Gunni have similarities in their style. Ultimately though Conor is different and is not as static as Gunni on the feet. I think Siver is going to be as tough as Brandao was. The potential to cause an upset by landing a big punch/kick. I don't think the Gunni fight would be much help to Siver in his preparations.

I can imagine John Kavanagh reading through some of this thread and flinging a wine glass at a wall.

• Advertisement

Wait, Are you saying Conor is flat footed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Mellor wrote: »
    When Jon Jones got the chance to replace an injured Evans. The general tone was that he's not ready, that Rua was a cut above Hammil, Vera, Bader etc. Jones entered that fight as an underdog.

I hate to be nitpicky about stuff but that post is inaccurate. I remember it at the time, there was a lot of commenting about Shogun/Jones being unique because the challenger was coming in as the favorite over the champion on the betting odds.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/3/9/2039529/latest-ufc-odds-and-betting-lines-for-ufc-128-shogun-vs-jones-on

I hate to be nitpicky about stuff but that post is inaccurate. I remember it at the time, there was a lot of commenting about Shogun/Jones being unique because the challenger was coming in as the favorite over the champion on the betting odds.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/3/9/2039529/latest-ufc-odds-and-betting-lines-for-ufc-128-shogun-vs-jones-on

I was sure Jones opened as a dog for that one. The line hardly moved that far though so maybe not.

Would it not be better for him to fight Mendes (no2) and then build up to Aldo? Build the excitement like?

true . conor v mendes . i'd love to see him against a high level wrestler .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

The main event really delivered. Aldo has some chin, Mendes showed a lot of heart coming back from being rocked. Awesome performance from both of them. I've never seen Aldo's face so busted up after a fight.
    888fb3908e007ad088061643c48bcf0f_L.jpg

The main event really delivered. Aldo has some chin, Mendes showed a lot of heart coming back from being rocked. Awesome performance from both of them. I've never seen Aldo's face so busted up after a fight.

surely mendes deserved a spilt decision if not a win .IMHO

surely mendes deserved a spilt decision if not a win .IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Just cause Aldo was marked up more? Aldo won at least 3 rounds arguably four IMO

xtal191 wrote: »
    Just cause Aldo was marked up more? Aldo won at least 3 rounds arguably four IMO

i'm looking forward to aldo mendes III

as for the ref not jumping in at the end of round one . how unprofessional . what wasn't herb dean reffing a high level fight like that ?

• Advertisement

I thought Aldo won but it was close. It was a 48-47 if not a 49-46 but there was no clear winner in any round, they were all competitive. I had R1 to Aldo, R4 to Mendes with R2, R3 and R5 all very close, but the champ was always going to win the close rounds and I thought he probably did enough to edge at least 2 of the close rounds anyway. I'm still not happy about the late strikes though, especially the last right hand.

i'm looking forward to aldo mendes III

as for the ref not jumping in at the end of round one . how unprofessional . what wasn't herb dean reffing a high level fight like that ?

Marc goddard is one of the best if not the best ref. I certainly rank him as the best around as do others, although mayb not as popular as herb.

Everyone seemed to say from aldo the ref and dana that no one heard the horn. The tv audience certainly did but we have the benefits of hearing though mics. Havent heard chad complain about it.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Marc goddard is one of the best if not the best ref. I certainly rank him as the best around as do others, although mayb not as popular as herb.

Everyone seemed to say from aldo the ref and dana that no one heard the horn. The tv audience certainly did but we have the benefits of hearing though mics. Havent heard chad complain about it.

if he is so good how come aldo dropped mendes with TWO punches after the buzzer when aldo is known for working right up to the last second .

i didn't hear the buzzer . he should have been on top of that . herb dean would have

If the fight was anywhere but Brazil (or the states), it would have been a split decision, I'd say.

At the end of the day when you are fighing the current champion you need to win it convincingly. Even if the judges were considering a split decision 9/10 times it will go the way of the current champ. Dana always says never leave it in the hands of the judges and thats why.
    Personally i didnt see this fight anything other than an Aldo win.

At the end of the day when you are fighing the current champion you need to win it convincingly. Even if the judges were considering a split decision 9/10 times it will go the way of the current champ. Dana always says never leave it in the hands of the judges and thats why.

i rewatched it and yes aldo won but then again i do have a huge man crush on chad mendes .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

In any part of the world it was 49-46. 48-47 at a BIG stretch. Aldo won 1st, 2nd and 5th very convincingly, 3rd was close but went to Aldo and 4th was won by Mendes. Judges got it spot on for once IMO.

I agree but I don't like it, you shouldn't be pushed into finishing a fight or having to win convincingly just because you're the challenger. It should be fair game but it isn't if we're being honest. Home + Champ advantage for Aldo meant Mendes was at a disadvantage from the get go if it went to decision.

Anyway, it's irrelevant in this case because I thought Aldo won anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

No because Conor v mendes would be a title eliminator fight. Seeing as Conor is due his shot, if mendes won he wouldn't deserve a shot so soon again

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    No because Conor v mendes would be a title eliminator fight. Seeing as Conor is due his shot, if mendes won he wouldn't deserve a shot so soon again

plus ufc wont have conor fight a elite level wrestler because it would be lay and pray and then he is no 10 contender and aldo has beaten everyone else .

I agree but I don't like it, you shouldn't be pushed into finishing a fight or having to win convincingly just because you're the challenger. It should be fair game but it isn't if we're being honest. Home + Champ advantage for Aldo meant Mendes was at a disadvantage from the get go if it went to decision.

Anyway, it's irrelevant in this case because I thought Aldo won anyway.

I think or would imagine every fighter comes in hoping to finish the fight or win convincingly from the get go. They want the bonuses, they want to get noticed and move up the rankings. It would be foolish coming in trying to just grind out a decision. Its very hard for a fighter or his corner to guage whos winning when a fight is very close. You have the advantage of sitting at home watching it as it happens, you arent getting punched in the face and wondering did i win that round 10-9? So if a fighter is hoping to ground out a decision regardless of if they are the champ or the opponent they are taking a risk.

In the case of Mendes I dont think at any point he wasnt going for it but his gameplan was leaving him coming up short in the rounds and giving them to Aldo where Mendes could have changed them if he went with a different approach. He didnt go for many takedowns and had he tried to stand and trade less and got some take downs in and scored points off the back of those it might have changed a few of the rounds for him that were probably close enough imo .

Home advantage is always a factor in any sport but at the end of the day it all comes down to ability. If Mendes was the better fighter on the night and won the rounds he would have won the fight regardless of where it was and whether he was champ or not, on the night Aldo was the better fighter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement