Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving bank details to buyer. Is it safe?!

Options
  • 10-09-2014 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I'm selling an item online and the seller wants to go to a branch of the bank i use to make the payment. He has asked for my name, address, bic and iban numbers.

Is this safe?, as in, can he clear out my account by claiming to be me by using all these details or is it now a safe way to bank?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

no way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Under no circumstances give out this information to an online randomer.

You've been warned :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Thanks guys. I had my suspicions

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Its absolutely safe to give your IBAN and BIC to someone as long as you are happy with the intentions of the person you are giving the info to.

Many companies now freely quote their IBAN and BIC on invoices to customers. Bank transfer is an acceptable way now to make payments and it's only getting more widespread.

If a rogue wants to use your IBAN and BIC to in some way defraud you, then they will still have to get past your Bank's own security requirements.

Think about it, for years people have given people cheques which contain their bank code, account number and the full title of the account and they havnt been cleaned out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

hallo dare wrote: »
    I'm selling an item online and the seller wants to go to a branch of the bank i use to make the payment. He has asked for my name, address, bic and iban numbers.

Is this safe?, as in, can he clear out my account by claiming to be me by using all these details or is it now a safe way to bank?

Thanks

Is the buyer in Germany? They tend to use bank transfers a lot. Have not had an issue to date.
    He would need substantially more than your account number and name and address to clear you out.
    The BIC and IBAN can both be generated from your account number.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Is the buyer in Germany? They tend to use bank transfers a lot. Have not had an issue to date.
    He would need substantially more than your account number and name and address to clear you out.
    The BIC and IBAN can both be generated from your account number.

The buyers here in Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I honestly wouldn't have an issue with it for my own account.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Does he need your name and address to deliver the goods? If not these are unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7174760.stm

There are alternative ways of making/taking payments without providing this information - why take the risk at all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Its totally safe - and normal here in Switzerland to give those details out

• Advertisement

I think for peace of mind I'll ring the bank in the morning and see from there. Thanks to all for the replies

I think I already know what the bank will advise you and the answer is no, you should not be giving your bank account details out online to some unknown person.

The fact that you posted this thread here means you already had reservations about the idea. Listen to that little voice inside you that is telling you no (Ask him about paying you through Paypal instead or else walk away from the deal). If however you do wish to go ahead and possibly become another victim of fraud then that is ultimately your choice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As safe as pretty much any other way for the person getting paid, but there is little to no need for your address

Companies give out these BIC/IBAN's all the time. Government departments do it. Individuals in other European countries have been doing it for years. Even educated fleas do it. Well perhaps not the last one, but that's because they have trouble hitting all the keys when typing it out.

Our sort code and account numbers have been on cheques for years, which is effectively the same information. Folks have been gladly dishing them out for years..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think I already know what the bank will advise you and the answer is no, you should not be giving your bank account details out online to some unknown person.

Have you ever written a cheque and handed it to a person you've only just met? That piece of paper contains all of the same data.

Bank of Ireland has a system whereby someone can transfer money simply using the recipient's mobile phone number....

This new service enables Mobile Banking App customers to transfer money to any registered Bank of Ireland account simply by knowing the mobile number of the account holder. It's a fast and secure way of sending money to family and friends.

Mobile Banking App customers are required to update their App on either the App Store or Google Play Store and accept new terms and conditions to avail of this service.

https://www.bankofireland.com/mobile-banking-pay-to-mobile-faqs/

What did the bank say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The banks should give people 'paying in numbers' that aren't your full bank account number - I mean it couldn't be used for withdrawing funds or setting up direct debits.

I don't understand how I could do anything dodgy with someone's account with only the account number.

Now, I was talking with my Bank earlier (PTSB).

Basically it's completely safe to give someone your details, as in Name address, BIC and IBAN number when doing a bank transfer.

They said that the address isn't really necessary to give out, but it makes no difference.

There's absolutely no way that anyone can access your account with just these details as they are just simply used for lodging money into that account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The banks should give people 'paying in numbers' that aren't your full bank account number - I mean it couldn't be used for withdrawing funds or setting up direct debits.
    Your IBAN can't be used for withdrawing. And while it can be used for setting up direct debits, it's relatively trivial to reverse and cancel those

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

spurious wrote: »
    I don't understand how I could do anything dodgy with someone's account with only the account number.

Set up a direct debit , I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

bluewolf wrote: »
    Set up a direct debit , I think
    Happened to Jeremy Clarkson a few years ago :D

Personally I still would not like to give out this information to just anyone but if your bank says its ok then by all means go right ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

I was trying to remember who it was!

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

That would qualify as a prank as opposed to fraud since the prankster set up a DD from Clarkson's a/c to a bona fide charity i.e. he/she did not gain a pecuniary advantage benefit from the exercise.

Maybe I'm being a tad naive here but I'm assuming that banks only allow DDs to be set up for the benefit of pre-existing businesses and charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

coylemj wrote: »
    That would qualify as a prank as opposed to fraud since the prankster set up a DD from Clarkson's a/c to a bona fide charity i.e. he/she did not gain a pecuniary advantage benefit from the exercise.

Maybe I'm being a tad naive here but I'm assuming that banks only allow DDs to be set up for the benefit of pre-existing businesses and charities.
    Still possible to gain an advantage from it e.g. use someone else's details to pay your bills to businesses that are set up for DDs.

Again though, trivial to reverse, and high-risk for the fraudster

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Back in 1981-1986 I drove a taxi in Frankfurt, Germany. Now and again I would be asked to do a fare without the customer having the cash, or worse after the run had been finished. Customer would want me to pick up money from him (never a her!) the next day at home or at work.
    As the amount involved was generally in the region of €5 to €8, it simply wasn't worth my while to drive for a half an hour to MAYBE pick up the debt.

I would give them my account number and tell them to pay it, if they were genuine.

About half did.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

28064212 wrote: »
    Still possible to gain an advantage from it e.g. use someone else's details to pay your bills to businesses that are set up for DDs.

Again though, trivial to reverse, and high-risk for the fraudster

I think with the advent of SEPA your Bank will send you a notification confirming setting up of any new DD instruction set up from your account, prior to the first DD being debited.

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    I think with the advent of SEPA your Bank will send you a notification confirming setting up of any new DD instruction set up from your account, prior to the first DD being debited.

Wouldn't bet on it. If they didn't do it before SEPA, why would they start now?

They do write to you to confirm when you add a new electronic payee to your mobile banking but I've never gotten a letter to confirm a new DD.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There is inherent risk in practically every modern payment transaction: ATM fraud, PIN surfing, credit/debit card fraud, writing cheques and fake internet banking sites are just some of the ones to come to mine..and yet this chestnut of a question comes up over and over again.

Yes, there is risk. Is it any riskier than others. Not really.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Wouldn't bet on it. If they didn't do it before SEPA, why would they start now?

They do write to you to confirm when you add a new electronic payee to your mobile banking but I've never gotten a letter to confirm a new DD.

I'm not fully up on the exact rules but I have received letters confirming new DDs set up. As far as I know, since 2009 you can set up a DD without actually signing a formal DD mandate but in that case, the company or your Bank (don't recall which ) has to send you a letter confirming the new DD. But you may not get a letter if you actually signed a DD mandate.

As I say, I'm not 100% on this.

Advertisement