Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinect vs Move

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Owning the both of them myself, i think each one is better on specific games. The move on Ruse is a great idea and works well.(perfect for sitting down gaming). The kinect seems to be a party piece in my own opinion, maybe to many requirements (space) to get it up and running, ive tried the table tennis and found it entertaining. However i only played each for about an hour and went back to my trusty controller to where gaming should stay and is the future for many more years. Kinect and Move are just gadgets

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,877 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My advice is to wait for a game on them that is actually worth playing because as far as I can see there's nothing interesting that requires either Move or Kinect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Initially I think the "new-ness" factor of the Kinect is going to see it selling a lot, which seems to be the case.

Having said that I would be surprised if you ever see anything other than party games coming out on it. There is no way to use it other than as a party game interface.

The Move is essentially a Wii rip off, they don't even seem to be pretending otherwise, selling the controller on the idea that it is more accurate.

In the long run, assuming Sony don't f**k up (which is always possible given the track record of the company over the last 6 years), I think the Move has better potential for actual games I would want to play.

Are there any Kinect or Move specific games in the pipeline?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,877 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes.

The fact I can't think of a single good one thatstands out should tell you enough about them. There is Child of Eden but even the designer of that game says itplays better witha controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 gj777

I have kinect, tried move quite a bit and while the software isn't there for K yet compared to move(unless ur into dance central), I think it has the edge. I don't see people reinvesting in a wii-esque device. Sure neither will blow everyone away as they are hoping ( i think the casual ship hass sailed to browser games) but atleast K has that novelty edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

dreamers75 wrote: »
    :confused: Kinect is Natal.

Duh....

I speaketh in jest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

After playing both for hours over Christmas like the good uncle that I am, the only software worth a damn for either are as follows:

Sports Championship - Move
    Flight Control - Move

I was playing the goalkeeper thing on the Kinect Sports and loving it until it sped up and the lag was shocking. Kinect Joyride is useless after 10 mins. Loads of lag on Kinect adventures. The 5 year old pointed it out that it wasn't going fast enough.

Lord Of The Rings for the Move... Ugh. They might as well have used the motion in the Dualshock.

Time Crisis for the Move. The GAME is good, but motion shooting like this, I just don't like. I loved the old Time Crisis with just the sights.

The kids liked Tumble for the Move for about 10 mins. There's not a lot going on in that game.

The Kinect and the Move really are two totally different pieces of hardware. The Kinect doesn't need to be re-calibrated all the time for different people playing like the Move does, but the Move had precision.

This Christmas Move was more popular in our house, but I'm pretty sure Buzz came out on top over everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have both and it think the kinect is the winner here

Christmas in my house was us playing the kinect with dance central which is maybe one of the must funniest games to play on the kinect you can't go wrong with trying to dance to poker face when there is drink in you

Kinect sports is very good the only game I didint like was the soccer on it. That was the only thing in it not to go down well

Kinect adventures is great what else do people think there getting for free with the kinect.

With the move I have res 5 gold and It is maybe one on the worst things I played all year with the move

Sports camp is ok but having to line up to every game is a pian in the ass

So for me the
    Kinect gets a 10/10 ok there might be a bit of lag but you have to wait for more games to come out for it

The playstion move gets a 6/10 it's better then the wii but having to line up for every game is a pain also where are the games for the playstion move I like to no this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Finding the kinect a proper pain now, the pausing system is annoying and the room you need is unrealistic.

• Advertisement

I downloaded Top Darts for the Move today seeing as how some reviews said it was good. And it is. I downloaded the Move patch for PAIN and it's mildly entertaining. Echochrome 2 seems clever but very boring after a while. The Shoot seems quite good. It's impressively precise and easy to control. Blokus is brutal.

I'll keep my eye on the Kinect, but there is literally NO decent software for it (Wouldn't be I to dancing to Lady Gaga, but each to their own). So right now the Kinect is good for kids up to 6 while the Move requires more patience and calibration.

They should start using the Kinect for good games and sort out that game-ruining lag.

Anyway. Back to proper games.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Grayditch wrote: »
    The kids liked Tumble for the Move for about 10 mins. There's not a lot going on in that game.

What the kids probably didn't realise was two player Tumble is improved no end by a two drink minimum entry requirement and pointless competitiveness.

Dunno if I'd buy the full version - you'd really be making your own fun. Still, it's worth 5 or 6 games to get used to the tower building and working out the scoring. And if the beers are in it's a different game after the tower has 30 blocks in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

The Kinect had potential, but as Jaykhunter said, Microsoft nerfed it. It was a serious piece of kit on the cusp of technology and Microsoft nerfed it to reduce production cost. The lag will be a limitation for all the games green-lit for development. The main obstacle for Kinect is the size of space you need to play it. On one hand it's a great coup for Microsoft because the only place for the Kinect is the living room where Microsoft want to be, the other if you do not have the space or you do have to make allowances (moving furniture around) to play it, then you won't use it much. It would be interesting to see what was the Kinect advertising budget for the Japan region.

raze wrote: »
    What the kids probably didn't realise was two player Tumble is improved no end by a two drink minimum entry requirement and pointless competitiveness.

Haha. Yeah, maybe if it drops to nearer a fiver, I'll probably pick it up. It is pretty impressive to see how responsive it is and how much control you have.

I'm really loving this Top Darts game. Seriously painful, yet occasionally funny commentary, but it has some nice touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Tumble is one of the finest games ive played, once you get past the first few missions it gets really tricky and the two player games are good fun. Cant go wrong for a tenner.

Ive yet to get a Kinect i simply don't have the room for it but i have played plenty of the games on it. I still cant see any game i would want to play for more than 10 mins. I still feel it wont work for the serious gamer until they mix the Kinect with the controller.

The move on the other hand has a good line up so far considering its only out a few months. Resi evil 5 is good value for 17 euro, Tumble is a tenner, Flight controller HD is under a fiver and RUSE can be picked up now for 20 euro. Thats 4 great games on it after 4-5 months compare that to the Wii which has been out for years and only has 3 games worth playing and one of them is a port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Thats 4 great games on it after 4-5 months compare that to the Wii which has been out for years and only has 3 games worth playing and one of them is a port.

I'm sorry but... seriously?!:confused:

I don't even know what three you're referring to because imo, the figure I'm coming up with is coming closer to 20 mark. To write off the Wii line-up apart from three games is a bit much...

I think there is such a colossal amount of utter sheeeiite out of the Wii that it really damages the consoles image to people above 10 years old, but there are some amazing games out for it. Shame about the loose quality control. The Nintendo-made games always seem dearer. Maybe that's because they're some of the good ones.

I'm sorry but... seriously?!:confused:

I don't even know what three you're referring to because imo, the figure I'm coming up with is coming closer to 20 mark. To write off the Wii line-up apart from three games is a bit much...

I thought i was being generous, you have Mario. Other than that you could include Zelda or Metroid although i don't think much of them. Resident Evil 4 is the port but thats even controversial enough as many feel its one of the worst in the series. Even the new Mario Kart is rubbish compared to the original.

The odd good game is let down by the consoles terrible graphics and truly awful controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I thought i was being generous, you have Mario. Other than that you could include Zelda or Metroid although i don't think much of them. Resident Evil 4 is the port but thats even controversial enough as many feel its one of the worst in the series. Even the new Mario Kart is rubbish compared to the original.

The odd good game is let down by the consoles terrible graphics and truly awful controllers.
    What about your...

Monster Hunter Tri
    Warioware
    No More Heroes
    Madworld
    Okami
    Paper Mario
    Zack and Wiki
    Little Kings Story
    Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
    Sin and Punishment 2
    Trauma Centre

among new releases which I haven't played but have reviewed well (Goldeneye, DKC Returns, Epic Mickey)? That, and when you referred to your aforementioned 3 games, there's actually 7 games there.

As regards to Resi 4, if you can list Resi 5 as a great game, then Resi 4 is unbelievable! It may have changed the dynamics of the series but it was a damn sight better than five.

The graphics may not be the strong point of the console, agreed, but most of the games I listed have stylized graphics to alleviate this weakness though. Are the "awful" controllers really that worse from PS Move, essentially a like for like copycat?

I agree with Grayditch, that kiddie schlock has begun to flood the console, and good games are being drown by rubbish, but it's a bit much to say that there aren't good games.

/my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

After playing must of the big wii games on my nephew's wii some games are let down by the wii pads

Mario kart is great on the wii if you use the gamecube pad with it not use the wii remote to turn around corners

New super Mario bros is maybe the best game I played on the wiu and it's so hard. I find this harder then uncharted 2 on export mode

Poke park is fun to play to on it. I know the game is basic as he'll to play but it's just one of those games that a fun

Mario football is all so great to play to

After wasting 55 euro on the move pad. 30 euro on the move nav. 40 on the sports game and 15 res 5. That's a 140 euros and I can't play two players on it I have to go speed 40 more on a 2nd move pad

Tumble on the move is maybe the worst game I played this year. I played the demo for about 15 mins I said what the he'll is this crap and turned it off

Res 5 every thing was just bad on it a pain in the ass to line up a gun at anything moving the move pad to use your knife

• Advertisement

What about your...

Monster Hunter Tri
    Warioware
    No More Heroes
    Madworld
    Okami
    Paper Mario
    Zack and Wiki
    Little Kings Story
    Tatsunoko Vs Capcom
    Sin and Punishment 2
    Trauma Centre

among new releases which I haven't played but have reviewed well (Goldeneye, DKC Returns, Epic Mickey)? That, and when you referred to your aforementioned 3 games, there's actually 7 games there.

As regards to Resi 4, if you can list Resi 5 as a great game, then Resi 4 is unbelievable! It may have changed the dynamics of the series but it was a damn sight better than five.

The graphics may not be the strong point of the console, agreed, but most of the games I listed have stylized graphics to alleviate this weakness though. Are the "awful" controllers really that worse from PS Move, essentially a like for like copycat?

I agree with Grayditch, that kiddie schlock has begun to flood the console, and good games are being drown by rubbish, but it's a bit much to say that there aren't good games.

/my two cents

Fair enough points, i guess i should say that i dont like the games rather than them being rubbish as i havent given them a good enough go. It always annoys me when someone says i played it for 5 mins and switched it off coz it was rubbish so i shouldn't do the same :D

Advertisement