Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website for M50 upgrade project - M50.ie

• 27-07-2006 4:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

It will be launched shortly. Good that they are doing that actually its going to be needed.

Here is the site:

www.M50.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Lets hope they don't need to migrate the website to a larger server due to the amount of traffic after launch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Bluetonic wrote:
    Lets hope they don't need to migrate the website to a larger server due to the amount of traffic after launch!
    heh not bad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭mustang68

They spelt motorway wrong :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ap

Must be professional website designers...

Like these ones:
    Spellchecker firm corrects typo in its own press-release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bluetonic wrote:

No, this website will be fine.

If you use it between 10:00pm and 5:00am, that is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

mustang68 wrote:

huh?:confused:

Anyhow I hope the website is actually informative unlike a certain port tunnel website I could mention:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mustang68 wrote:
    So they did! All credit for this goes to ...
    <meta name="author" content="Loman Cusack Design">

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

darkman2 wrote:
    huh?:confused:

Anyhow I hope the website is actually informative unlike a certain port tunnel website I could mention:mad:

Voila

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ahem http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awww.m50.ie%2F+m50&meta=

It looks likes its just a rebranding / rebuilding of the N7 site.

http://www.n7.ie/
    N7 Pilot System - Temporarily suspended

Due to technical difficulties, the full service provided by the N7 Travel Time pilot scheme is currently unavailable.

We apologise for any inconvenience this loss of service may cause.

Victor wrote:
    Ahem http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awww.m50.ie%2F+m50&meta=

It looks likes its just a rebranding / rebuilding of the N7 site.

http://www.n7.ie/

No its definatley the site for the upgrade. It was the N7 site about a year ago, then took you directly to the NRA.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mustang68 wrote:

'Mororway' is how a lot of people pronounce it, so what's the problem? :D

Scrap the cap!

Just saw a notice in todays paper.......60km/h speed limit applies to the N4 - Ballymount section from tomorrow for 1 year:eek: Thank god I hardly ever use that route!! Having said that is a reduction in speed limit going to make a difference anyway!?!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

darkman2 wrote:
    Having said that is a reduction in speed limit going to make a difference anyway!?!:D
    It may have a positive effect. They claimed the traffic actually flowed better on the N7 during the works due to the lower limit reducing 'bunching' or somesuch.

murphaph wrote:
    It may have a positive effect. They claimed the traffic actually flowed better on the N7 during the works due to the lower limit reducing 'bunching' or somesuch.

Possibly. I didnt really use the N7 whilst under construction.

Does anyone know if they are actually altering the lanes tomorrow. I know the layout of the N4 interchange will change dramatically in the next few weeks:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

murphaph wrote:

Generally a lower limit would cause bunching. Though since the 60 limit on the Naas Road is so widely ignored, I suppose you get a natural spread between the speeders and the scaredy-cats.

Dermot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

On the news the lad from the NRA said its only really gona effect off peak travel as the avearge speed limit during peaks times is only about 10kph (cant remember the exact speed but its low)

Here is an image of an alternative look to the N7 interchange. (may look a tad small, this image). Id prefer this setup tbh.

http://www.arup.ie/projects/images/m502.jpg

M50Upgrade.jpg

N4 interchange. This work has to be done in a fairly confined space.

The website seems to be up and running now:)

www.m50.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Still not fixed the speeling mestake tho!

Yes and also for some reason they have some sections in Spanish:confused:

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Yes and also for some reason they have some sections in Spanish:confused:
    What, like the external link to a Spanish company! Whatever next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ap

NEWSFLASH: 7 days after going live they have now managed to correct the spelling mistake!

If you look through the website there are so many typos, bits left out, missing links etc. Its quite hilarious :D

darkman2 wrote:

:confused: Looks like English to me ?

Alun wrote:
    :confused: Looks like English to me ?

WTF!:confused: They must have just fixed it because they had an 'overveiw' underneath of the junctions and it was in spanish:confused:

darkman2 wrote:
    WTF!:confused: They must have just fixed it because they had an 'overveiw' underneath of the junctions and it was in spanish:confused:
    It's almost as if someone from the website designers is looking in here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

In that case can you fix the JavaScript error on every page in IE6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 italicfountain

Alun wrote:
    It's almost as if someone from the website designers is looking in here :)

I believe they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Is there any real need for a M50 upgrade?? Seems a waste of money.

I thought the government had plans to stick a quality bus corridor in here and maybe reduced the M50 to one car lane in each direction. This would certainly encourage commuters to use public transport, given rising fuel prices and uncertainty in the Middle East this would have been the sensible option IMHO.

nordydan wrote:
    Is there any real need for a M50 upgrade??

In a word - yes.

The link to 'N7 after' is missing from here ->

http://www.m50.ie/pages/n7.htm

( http://www.m50.ie/pages/n7-after.htm )
    Sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore. Eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Duis aute irure dolor consectetur adipisicing elit, lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

Sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt cupidatat non proident, mollit anim id est laborum. In reprehenderit in voluptate excepteur sint occaecat eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, duis aute irure dolor quis nostrud exercitation.

Dunno what that is.

http://www.m50.ie/pages/overview.htm
    The proposed upgrade will reduce traffic congestion and provide significant time savings for the estimated xxx,xxx motorists who use these sections of the M50.

lol :D

Dunno what that is.
    It's "filler text" used when a section isn't ready yet ... see http://lipsum.com .

The link to 'N7 after' is missing from here ->

( http://www.m50.ie/pages/n7-after.htm )

lol :D

:confused: Thats a different design to the proposed N7 interchange!!:confused::confused: Im confused now. Is that the design they are going ahead with or not. I would think its probrably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

It seems the page Chris found is just a placeholder. I'm with you darkman2 - the approved N7 junction I am expecting has a large bridge span that brings Southbound traffic on the M50 up and over the entire junction and then back down onto the N7 Westbound. Details on the EIS on SDCC website.

I think the graphics explaining the traffic phases at the various junctions is a nice touch. I will sleep a bit better when I see that they have a plan for the N7 ;)

• Advertisement

It seems the page Chris found is just a placeholder. I'm with you darkman2 - the approved N7 junction I am expecting has a large bridge span that brings Southbound traffic on the M50 up and over the entire junction and then back down onto the N7 Westbound. Details on the EIS on SDCC website.

I think the graphics explaining the traffic phases at the various junctions is a nice touch. I will sleep a bit better when I see that they have a plan for the N7 ;)

The graphics are useful. Particularly where it shows how they will construct the 3rd and 4th lanes. The same technique that was used on the N7. The hard shoulder and left hand lane will be the two lanes primarily used by motorists during construction.

The interchange im certain has the flyover you mention. I dont think they would move the Luas tracks. A bit too disruptive I would have thought.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ap wrote:
    NEWSFLASH: 7 days after going live they have now managed to correct the spelling mistake!
    I emailed them 7 days ago so it's not as if they didn't know about the typo. Didn't even reply to me. :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of the lane 4 between interchanges, unless it is a decent length. You will have people accelerating to get onto the mainline and people slowing down to exit. We've all seen how long it takes some people to get up to speed when they enter the M50.
    There were a few very short interchange lanes in California when I lived there and they were scary.

daymobrew wrote:
    I emailed them 7 days ago so it's not as if they didn't know about the typo. Didn't even reply to me. :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of the lane 4 between interchanges, unless it is a decent length. You will have people accelerating to get onto the mainline and people slowing down to exit. We've all seen how long it takes some people to get up to speed when they enter the M50.
    There were a few very short interchange lanes in California when I lived there and they were scary.

For the more inexperienced motorist maybe the lane setup is more daunting but they work in Los Angelus very effectively I thought. Also in LA they actually have traffic lights on some slip roads to regulate traffic flow - an idea perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

daymobrew wrote:
    I'm not a fan of the lane 4 between interchanges, unless it is a decent length.

But we know what the lengths will be, since the junctions already exist. If anything, the new lane (and we really shouldn't call it lane 4) will cause people to be even slower getting up to speed than now, since they'll be under no compulsion to merge. It should also remove the urge for mainline traffic to change lane just because there's a junction coming up.

Dermot

PS: Also, as I mentioned before, it means the new silly gantries will be accurate for once.

darkman2 wrote:
    :confused: Thats a different design to the proposed N7 interchange!!:confused::confused: Im confused now. Is that the design they are going ahead with or not. I would think its probrably not.

Interesting. I dont think its a placeholder though. Look at the 2 pages.

This page is live and accessible through the links on the site ->

Proposed page I found ->

http://www.m50.ie/pages/n7-after.htm

If you flick between the two pages all the buildings beside the interchange match up. Seems this must be what they're going with, unless someone has cocked up somewhere :)

Edit: I cant find the older, top down pic of the Red Cow interchange upgrade as was published in a huge PDF document awhile back. Anyone got that so we can compare?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Interesting. I dont think its a placeholder though. Look at the 2 pages.

This page is live and accessible through the links on the site ->

Proposed page I found ->

http://www.m50.ie/pages/n7-after.htm

If you flick between the two pages all the buildings beside the interchange match up. Seems this must be what they're going with, unless someone has cocked up somewhere :)

Edit: I cant find the older, top down pic of the Red Cow interchange upgrade as was published in a huge PDF document awhile back. Anyone got that so we can compare?

Chris is that taking the pis? the second link is an actual free flow type N7, which is pretty well designed. Not a free flowing type there are supposedly building now. It would be wise if they could build it as that tho. IMO don't think it would make much of a difference cost wise anyway which even if they go ahead with a free flow type, since the existing bridges are all used and the luas bridge is even taken into a account. and the third tier M50 to Limerick/Naas bound will not be a high either. The luas glides under all movement just like M50 NB onto city road. Pretty good designes..

2billion in the excheqer, where's all the billions going since 2002?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PhilipFromBosco

Looking at the proposed N7 interchange photo, I don't see how westbound traffic is routed to the northbound M50. It looks as if it enters a tunnel but I cannot see where this leads to. Does anyone have answer for this.

I remember the days of cycling on my bike from the Red Cow to Donnybrook rehearsing my lines, tight jeans and all.

Ta me ufaseach

Looking at the proposed N7 interchange photo, I don't see how westbound traffic is routed to the northbound M50. It looks as if it enters a tunnel but I cannot see where this leads to. Does anyone have answer for this.

I remember the days of cycling on my bike from the Red Cow to Donnybrook rehearsing my lines, tight jeans and all.

Ta me ufaseach

the far side bridge leading west going into the tunnel seems to have no purpose, as R110 traffic is already looped on the mainline section. Seriously is this some sort of practical joke?

mysterious wrote:
    the far side bridge leading west going into the tunnel seems to have no purpose, as R110 traffic is already looped on the mainline section. Seriously is this some sort of practical joke?

Id imagine that was an alternate design that was considered. The design chosen is different.

darkman2 wrote:
    Id imagine that was an alternate design that was considered. The design chosen is different.

I'd believe if I see it. Though the outside single lane bridge seems to join the luas section - ends?

Anyway on the website it's states partial free flow, and this is full free flowing. It's an ingenious layout considering the space and tight curves etc.

So it's not going ahead as that considered plan, whoever depleted it, is a fool

mysterious wrote:
    I'd believe if I see it. Though the outside single lane bridge seems to join the luas section - ends?

Anyway on the website it's states partial free flow, and this is full free flowing. It's an ingenious layout considering the space and tight curves etc.

The vast majority of the chosen layout is freeflow anyway.

Just a thought on the N4 (which is entirely freeflow) - anyone notice that there is only one lane crossing east to west on the N4 when completed!?

Also the N3 layout (phase 2 next year) is quite striking, completely freeflow aswell. Although why the N7 didnt deserve that treatment I dont know:confused:

mysterious wrote:

So it's not going ahead as that considered plan, whoever depleted it, is a fool

It has to be said also the chosen layout is just as good on most approaches particularly the flyover.

darkman2 wrote:
    It has to be said also the chosen layout is just as good on most approaches particularly the flyover.

Sure:rolleyes:

mysterious wrote:
    Sure:rolleyes:

Seriously it is. Take the luas out and it would be perfect.

darkman2 wrote:
    Seriously it is. Take the luas out and it would be perfect.

Erm. it still wouldn't. :)

Edit: go look at the redicolous arrangements again, M50 third tier flyover cannot access the luas park and ride.

But the considering the free flow option, it would, M50 northbound would not inflict city road nass bound either.. Fianna fail are hiding the extra money that is why the crappy option went ahead. Or else they "are" actually reconsidering the design, as it would be a big mistake if they go ahead as planned partial free flow. It makes money sense longterm, and hense not wasting extra money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement