Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 4 Captain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Haha was just a joke. Aguero normal captain

Can you activate and deactivate those?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Haha was just a joke. Aguero normal captain

Yes...er....I too am....er....joking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

CSF wrote: »

Try it and see ;)

.......... Yes, you can de-activate it.

Colking wrote: »
    Try it and see ;)

.......... Yes, you can de-activate it.
    Haha, not an experiment I was wanting to take the risk on!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Yup. I knew because my missus wanted to triple captain Mertesacker GW1 until I told her that it could only be used once a season (leaving aside that it was a horrible idea).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone that doesn't captain Aguero this week really does have nerves of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dahat wrote: »

or is trying to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

Obviously I will be going for Aguero for my captain this weekend, playing with fire to try someone else.

I'm currently hovering around the 6,000 in the world mark and leading the majority of my leagues so despite all the (extremely valid!) calls to wait for a double fixture week to use my Triple Captain, I am going to bite the bullet and triple captain Kun this weekend. Quick first half hat-trick and hopefully I will get into the top 1,000 for the first time ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Obviously I will be going for Aguero for my captain this weekend, playing with fire to try someone else.

I'm currently hovering around the 6,000 in the world mark and leading the majority of my leagues so despite all the (extremely valid!) calls to wait for a double fixture week to use my Triple Captain, I am going to bite the bullet and triple captain Kun this weekend. Quick first half hat-trick and hopefully I will get into the top 1,000 for the first time ever :)

don't do it, honestly.

you're caught up in the hysteria of doing so well. don't succumb.

getting into the top 1,000 now is meaningless. A DGW from a big hitter later in the season is better than Aguero against Watford now when he's not even quite at full tilt yet.

don't do it.

it may work out, obviously, but it's not the percentage move.

did I mention? don't fúcking do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Good luck, you should try packing your team with all the big hitters from the first night of a spread out week (when there's only two games) and try to get to the top of the world, point hits don't even count:P

Honestly, you're in the wrong place, the only rank that counts is after week 38:)

Is getting into the top 1000 worth probably foregoing a few points in your overall score for though? Keep making the right calls rather than impulsive ones and if you can maintain your excellent start, the top 1000 could be your final position which would be much more impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

And brains of steel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Aguero, WAT!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

SlickRic wrote: »
    or is trying to be smart.

Or is in a draft league and doesn't have him...:pac:

SlickRic wrote: »
    don't do it, honestly.

you're caught up in the hysteria of doing so well. don't succumb.

getting into the top 1,000 now is meaningless. A DGW from a big hitter later in the season is better than Aguero against Watford now when he's not even quite at full tilt yet.

don't do it.

it may work out, obviously, but it's not the percentage move.

did I mention? don't fúcking do it.

Damn straight I'm caught up in the hysteria! I am aware that it is not the percentage move, but hey, he may just as easily be injured or not score in the double game week.

I forgot to mention the money league that I am involved in pays out in quarters as well as end of season, so its not all about being on top at the end of Game 38. I'm 70 points clear at the moment so my immediate focus is being on top at end of Week 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Damn straight I'm caught up in the hysteria! I am aware that it is not the percentage move, but hey, he may just as easily be injured or not score in the double game week.

I forgot to mention the money league that I am involved in pays out in quarters as well as end of season, so its not all about being on top at the end of Game 38. I'm 70 points clear at the moment so my immediate focus is being on top at end of Week 9.

2 Bulls are looking down at a field of cows. The young bull says let's run down and shag the first cow we see. The old bull says 'let's walk down and shag them all'

You sir are definitely the young bull!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

i was actually considering triple Kun captain myself... but Watford haven't exactly been leaking goals (2 cs in a row), so i held fire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

manual_man wrote: »
    i was actually considering triple Kun captain myself... but Watford haven't exactly been leaking goals (2 cs in a row), so i held fire

I'm 50/50..they haven't conceded much but they've played crap/out of form teams . Think I'll leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Would potentially triple captain Aguero in this fixture myself but wary about him only getting 60-70 minutes. He looked knackered last week after an hour and was rightly taken off early. For my triple captain I'd want to have 180 minutes from my captain, not a third of that.

Benimar wrote: »
    2 Bulls are looking down at a field of cows. The young bull says let's run down and shag the first cow we see. The old bull says 'let's walk down and shag them all'

You sir are definitely the young bull!

I am, but I'm still getting the ride which is fun. I've spent too much of my time standing on the wrong side of the field getting no action so I am going to enjoy this sojourn to the other end while I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There will be better times (and possibly teams) to triple captain Aguero I'm sure.

I am, but I'm still getting the ride which is fun. I've spent too much of my time standing on the wrong side of the field getting no action so I am going to enjoy this sojourn to the other end while I can.

Don't do it. Hard to improve as a player (and we all have to improve) when your aims are the wrong ones.

Honestly Thomas. You are in the wrong place. Nobody here will see this as a good move and if defending a 70 point lead for a quarterly prize is the height of your ambition thensits not what we're aboutðŸ˜႒
    I

Honestly Thomas. You are in the wrong place. Nobody here will see this as a good move and if defending a 70 point lead for a quarterly prize is the height of your ambition thensits not what we're aboutðŸ˜႒
    I

Well to be honest the height of my ambition is to get as many points as possible over 38 games, but I have extra short-term incentives to consider also.

And apologies for being in the wrong place, I should have known better than to attempt to discuss my Gameweek 4 Captain in a thread entitled "Gameweek 4 Captain" :)

Good luck!

I

i honestly think some of the replies are a bit harsh(!). it's hardly the barmiest idea out there to triple captain the best forward in the league at H to Watford. double-gameweek, yeah, possibly, but we've seen before they don't always live up to their billing - there can be rotation, both fixtures might not necessarily be the easiest ones... plus using the bench boost chip can be a very viable option for a dgw too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Have Aguero but thinking of not making him captain this week. I have Kolarov too & I'm very tempted to pick him instead. City at home to Watford surely = clean sheet so straight away 12 pts min. He is always likely to provide an assist or score a free too & is way more likely to play 90 mins.

Had Aguero captain last week & got 4 pts from it, if i'd had Kolarov I'd have got 30.

It's not a call that many will be making i'm sure but I've thought it through & am fairly sure that's what i'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I

It's hardly the craziest notion in the world and in fairness the FSA is and should be open to all players, thought processes and ambitions. I see both arguments and would be against our new friend Thomas' plans but we shouldn't be discouraging new posters and their reasoning. Discussion is our raison d'être (hope I got that right Iroced :P)

/PVA captainer :pac:

Well to be honest the height of my ambition is to get as many points as possible over 38 games, but I have extra short-term incentives to consider also.

And apologies for being in the wrong place, I should have known better than to attempt to discuss my Gameweek 4 Captain in a thread entitled "Gameweek 4 Captain" :)

Good luck!

Ah Jeez, now I feel bad.

Look, you're 70 points clear already, you'll win that quarterly prize. You'll get better value from the triple captain later in the year, you will regret it almost certainly i'd say. Play the long game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Loads of choices this week if Agueroooooo does not fire and you feel brave :)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

i honestly think some of the replies are a bit harsh(!). it's hardly the barmiest idea out there to triple captain the best forward in the league at H to Watford. double-gameweek, yeah, possibly, but we've seen before they don't always live up to their billing - there can be rotation, both fixtures might not necessarily be the easiest ones... plus using the bench boost chip can be a very viable option for a dgw too.

That's a lot of my thought process Manual...nothing guaranteed from DGW. Best striker in the league playing in front of an on-fire midfield of Sterling, Navas, Toure and Silva.

With Bony out tomorrow I can see Kun playing enough of the game to rack up a decent score. I'm doing it, despite major misgivings :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

That's a lot of my thought process Manual...nothing guaranteed from DGW. Best striker in the league playing in front of an on-fire midfield of Sterling, Navas, Toure and Silva.

With Bony out tomorrow I can see Kun playing enough of the game to rack up a decent score. I'm doing it, despite major misgivings :)

Ignoring the fact that the chances of a big score will be higher in the right DGW, the flaw I'd see is Watford have been good at the back so far. "Man City v Watford" sounds like a guaranteed turkey shoot when you say it in your head, but take form and stats into it and I'd say its risky. The will be better single GW fixtures imo.

But good luck with it!

Stevecw wrote: »
    Have Aguero but thinking of not making him captain this week. I have Kolarov too & I'm very tempted to pick him instead. City at home to Watford surely = clean sheet so straight away 12 pts min. He is always likely to provide an assist or score a free too & is way more likely to play 90 mins.

Had Aguero captain last week & got 4 pts from it, if i'd had Kolarov I'd have got 30.

It's not a call that many will be making i'm sure but I've thought it through & am fairly sure that's what i'll be doing.
    If you look at the odds even Aguero is 4/11 to score Man City are evens for a clean sheet. That's a big disparity.

Aguero is 11/2 for a hattrick. Kolarov is 11/2 for a goal.

Now if you disagree with those odds you're right to go with your own opinion rather than that of a bookmaker but I think you're playing with fire and are likely to get burnt.

Even if someone was determined to play their treble captain on a single game week there are lots of weaker defences than Watford. If City were playing Sunderland this week I could maybe see some logic in it.

Everyone's entitled to their own choices, and sometimes even when you make decisions on bad logic they pay off and you feel vindicated, but it's a really really bad shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

FHFC wrote: »
    Ignoring the fact that the chances of a big score will be higher in the right DGW

Ah man, imagine having a triple captain on the wonderful Charlie Austin on his dgw last year, *drools...*

Ah man, imagine having a triple captain on the wonderful Charlie Austin on his dgw last year, *drools...*

Imagine having even had him in my team *drools*

Even if someone was determined to play their treble captain on a single game week there are lots of weaker defences than Watford. If City were playing Sunderland this week I could maybe see some logic in it.

Everyone's entitled to their own choices, and sometimes even when you make decisions on bad logic they pay off and you feel vindicated, but it's a really really bad shout.

i'm not sure Watford's last 2 games can be entirely reflective of their defensive ability. They faced a WBA side lacking in firepower, and a tired S'hampton after their Europa exploits. Fair play to Thomas i say, there's risk attached for sure, but sure the element of risk is ever-present in this game.

i'm not sure Watford's last 2 games can be entirely reflective of their defensive ability. They faced a WBA side lacking in firepower, and a tired S'hampton after their Europa exploits. Fair play to Thomas i say, there's risk attached for sure, but sure the element of risk is ever-present in this game.
    Fair play for what though? Making a bad choice? I'm not sure Watford's last 2 games are reflective either but the smart thing to do would be give them the benefit of the doubt no?

Fair play for what though? Making a bad choice? I'm not sure Watford's last 2 games are reflective either but the smart thing to do would be give them the benefit of the doubt no?

i'm sorry... but COME ON. "making a bad choice" - that kind of language is just totally unnecessary - there's a way to outline your points without being arrogant and pure dismissive. Aguero could score a hatrick this weekend. He could blank. WE JUST DON'T KNOW at this point in time. So brandishing something a bad choice is just not on i.m.o., and goes against the spirit of the forum. Going on like that will only discourage people (forum noobs, especially) from posting in future... do you not think? It's not the opinions on the matter i have a problem with (far from it), but the manner of some of them, to me anyway, are just coming across as aggressive and just not very nice. Ain't got no time for that

there are lots of weaker defences than Watford. If City were playing Sunderland this week I could maybe see some logic in it.

Is there really a lot of weaker defences though? Do two clean sheets at home to West Brom and Southampton prove much? They're second favourites for relegation so maybe the smarter play would be to give Paddy Power et al the benefit of the doubt!

Call me naive if you will but I think that Nyom, Prodl, Cathcart and Holebas will struggle tomorrow against a rampant Man City who are scoring for fun at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think hazard could match or better agueros score this week
    but I'll play it safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We won't know if it's a good or bad choice until the weekend or even the end of the season.

I think there'll be better opportunities but in a week were Aguero is runaway captain choice, at home to a promoted side, it's certainly not a crazy idea imo.

The "might be rested after 60" could be used against any poor team. He could be in better form but he's looking sharp... Again, not an option for me but it seems harsh to dismiss it.

i'm sorry... but COME ON. "making a bad choice" - that kind of language is just totally unnecessary - there's a way to outline your points without being arrogant and pure dismissive. Aguero could score a hatrick this weekend. He could blank. WE JUST DON'T KNOW at this point in time. So brandishing something a bad choice is just not on i.m.o., and goes against the spirit of the forum. Going on like that will only discourage people (forum noobs, especially) from posting in future... do you not think? It's not the opinions on the matter i have a problem with (far from it), but the manner of some of them, to me anyway, are just coming across as aggressive and just not very nice. Ain't got no time for that

Relax, saying something is a bad choice is not aggressive. I'm not referring to the poster as a player, I already complemented him on his current score. This forum doesn't serve much purpose though if we don't call a spade a spade. There are good choices and bad choices and there are grey areas. Sometimes the good choices don't work and sometimes the bad ones end up in a bumper score but over time you maximise your score by making the best choices with the information you have.

I'd like to think the poster in question knows I'm simply addressing the topic in question rather than him as a player as a poster, and I'd like to think I could help him get a better score, in the same way that I hope him and the rest of the forum can and have done the same for me.

Is there really a lot of weaker defences though? Do two clean sheets at home to West Brom and Southampton prove much? They're second favourites for relegation so maybe the smarter play would be to give Paddy Power et al the benefit of the doubt!

Call me naive if you will but I think that Nyom, Prodl, Cathcart and Holebas will struggle tomorrow against a rampant Man City who are scoring for fun at the minute.

Watford probably will get relegated, but likely down to not scoring enough goals which has already been a problem for them. I'm inclined to think you have to give the benefit of the doubt to that defence until they show signs of weakness.

km79 wrote: »
    I think hazard could match or better agueros score this week but I'll play it safe!

Costa is another one, and i'm surprised to see he has only 3 votes, though from seeing teams on the forum he doesn't seem to be in too many - Aguero/Benteke & A.N.other being the most popular set-up for now

PARlance wrote: »
    We won't know if it's a good or bad choice until the weekend or even the end of the season.

I think there'll be better opportunities but in a week were Aguero is runaway captain choice, at home to a promoted side, it's certainly not a crazy idea imo.

The "might be rested after 60" could be used against any poor team. He could be in better form but he's looking sharp... Again, not an option for me but it seems harsh to dismiss it.
    I wouldn't agree with that. I think the quality of a choice is determined by the logic used rather than the end result.

It stands to reason that Aguero is likely to score more goals in 2 games than 1, and more goals against a defence that has been leaky than one that has been keeping clean sheets. The best choices are made using solid reasoning.

I don't mean to be harsh. I apologise if I was picked up that way but I don't think this forum works to its best if we can't distinguish between good and bad choices (although most are grey areas) without hurting people. I would want to know if people thought I was doing something mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

km79 wrote: »
    I think hazard could match or better agueros score this week
    but I'll play it safe!

Agueros done feck all. I have him and...meh. really?

Funkfield wrote: »
    Agueros done feck all. I have him and...meh. really?

Yeah but, it's coming. It's coming.

Relax, saying something is a bad choice is not aggressive. I'm not referring to the poster as a player, I already complemented him on his current score. This forum doesn't serve much purpose though if we don't call a spade a spade. There are good choices and bad choices and there are grey areas. Sometimes the good choices don't work and sometimes the bad ones end up in a bumper score but over time you maximise your score by making the best choices with the information you have.

I'd like to think the poster in question knows I'm simply addressing the topic in question rather than him as a player as a poster, and I'd like to think I could help him get a better score, in the same way that I hope him and the rest of the forum can and have done the same for me.

Well we'll just agree to disagree. It comes across as aggressive and arrogant to me. No one knows the future, so i simply don't like the idea of saying outright to someone that what they're considering "is" a bad choice. There's no "is" at this point in time. Only possibility. Possibility for success. And possibility for failure. No more to say on the matter

Yeah but, it's coming. It's coming.

So you're saying this is definitely triple captain week?

Definitely........?

Honestly I was going with yaya.

• Advertisement
Advertisement