Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

went to dollymount today, nothing going on there. I really need to get out west. I wonder if there are any easterlies (sp??) due? Nothing but onshore mayhem in sligo and donegal lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

West of Ireland: The winds arent exactly onshore. Places with beaches facing behind the wind will work.
    The likes of Mullaghmore will have good surf today, for example.
    Streedagh is working too.

Best surf in the next week will probably be Tuesday on any exposed western beach.

I went to achill a couple of months ago and Keel strand was completely onshore, but we found a beach on the north of the island that was the complete opposite, and had the beach to ourselves all day. What I wouldn't give for a bit of that now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Just back from surfing a 90ft monster off Dalkey. Had to paddle in as my ski and driver got swallowed up and destroyed. After surfing like a God, I wiped out right in the pocket, but survived.
    Man, I'm telling ya it's like a washing machine in there- you are getting rag-dolled big-time. Luckily I was able to swim the 4 miles back to shore AGAINST the rip. Went straight back out, through the mine-field, and busted up a few great whites on the way back. Stoked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Just back from surfing a 90ft monster off Dalkey. Had to paddle in as my ski and driver got swallowed up and destroyed. After surfing like a God, I wiped out right in the pocket, but survived.
    Man, I'm telling ya it's like a washing machine in there- you are getting rag-dolled big-time. Luckily I was able to swim the 4 miles back to shore AGAINST the rip. Went straight back out, through the mine-field, and busted up a few great whites on the way back. Stoked!

Really?

• Advertisement

lightening wrote:
    Really?
    um, no.

oh.

sounded really impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 puremagic diarm

the legendry dolly wave!

i worked on the beach all last summer as a kitesurf instructure.. and there is defo some potential for surfing on dolly.
    at 4.30 every day the norfolk line comes in with a half tide and an off shore wind this wave can be up too 1.5m......
    towards the end of the summer i found that its bigger when it flys in then jams on the brakes it crops a hell of a wave around the light house at the wodden bridge end...

ive been in contact with the capton and hes realy cool.. he agreed to jam on the brakes when the wind blows any way weaterly..

happy surfing
    diarmuid

ah... diarmuid, you sound like a right beach bum! (no offence intended...) Does this happen at the weekend by any chance?

Any of you guys this person, I have a high res image for you if so....

windlow.jpg

Actually if any of you want good action shots pm me....

its not me but i no who he is.. its oisin from swords hes irish no 1 and a surf dock rider. email them im sure they would be pleased!

no ofence taken on the beach bum thing im well used to it!

• Advertisement

windsurf2low.jpg

Here is one of his mates, do you have their email addresses? I reckon I could get great shots if I got in to my wetsuit and waded out a bit. I didnt realise you guys went offshore so far, these guys were miles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Anyone know what the conditions are like along the east coast this weekend? Is it worth packing my gear and going for a surfari?

cue wrote:
    Anyone know what the conditions are like along the east coast this weekend? Is it worth packing my gear and going for a surfari?
    Nope

dollyweekend.jpg

This was Dollymount on Sunday afternoon. (crappy phone pic) The waves were about two foot high. I was in Strandhill on Saturday, it was messy and cold.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

These are two pics I took in Donabate (North Dublin) last summer.. I couldn't believe my eyes..

Loaded up the car the next day to head down but there was nothing doing.

When I took these shots there were about 3 or 4 car loads of surfers on the beach who look like they had just finished up.

Man the surfing forum is always so quiet... Anyway - looks like it's going to be going off in the west over the next while, I'm taking friday off work and heading to Sligo after work on Thursday. Anyone else going out this weekend? I reckon it'll be pretty cold but the winds look light so maybe not such a bad wind chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I will be heading down to Sligo on Saturday night. Have not been out since christmas so long overdue.

what beaches do you use? I find strandhill to be a bit of a nightmare sometimes, really hard to get out. I'm still a beginner really but I would be fairly fit and getting out is just such a nightmare... I think streedagh is great when it's working

Where is that beach? And how do you get to it?

Thanks.

Great photos Spoc, do you remember the weather conditions for the surf in Donabate?

Weather was basically a summer evening with hardly any wind whatsoever...

• Advertisement

what beach... streedagh? Head out of sligo going towards bundoran, after 10 or 15 mins you'll come to a town called Boyle, there are signs there for streedagh and it's a few minutes from there. It only works when there's a big enough swell though, but you get nice perfect small ones and it's easy to get out.

Streedagh is also amazingly sheltered. Was down at Strandhill last year and it was coming off big time, huge b*stard waves all over the shop that looked like they would kill an elephant. Headed up to Streedagh and it was like being in another country.. nice.

Great, thanks for the info...

apparently the east coast was great this weekend just gone. Killiney was big and magheramore too, wish I had known about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Even Portmarnock had decent waves thursday and Saturday.... Got out Thursday....was gutted as I was walking to the beachfront to get the bus and saw the waves. If I hadnt had to show a mate from England around Dublin I wouldve being straight back to the house for my gear. Boourns

What sort of conditions were there?
    Wind speed/direction, and breaking wave height? were they clean or messy?
    Even a rough estimation would do!

I got an hour in on Dollymount strand on Saturday and Sunday. There was an on shore wind which didn't really help, but it wasn't too strong. The breaking wave height was about three to four foot, it was a little messy, but I was on a long board. However, I loved it, I only live about 200 metres from the beach, so it was a real novelty.

I will try and post pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I saw two lads on shortboards in Killiney on saturday got out of the car to check the surf and low and behold there was a guy catching waves, they were short rides but anthing is good on the east coast. I woud have gone home and got my gear but I had a chest infection, I just guess I'm not dedicated enough. I'm praying for similar conditions soon.

Feblow.jpg

Dollymount in the afternoon. I sail a lot in Dublin bay and it newrly ALWAYS starts out really calm and gets rougher as the day goes on. There was not much surf in the morning.. maybe there is a pattern.

• Advertisement

hi lads i finaly got some pics of the wave i was talking about
    u can see them here
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MyProfile=Y

Advertisement