Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hive mind

Options
  • 04-09-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Mods and posters are entrenched in their views, if you dont agree and put forward a opposing view, warnings, infractions and bans follow.
    Get infracted while others who support the view of the mod and post the same infraction worthy comments get no infraction.

Different views not allowed?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think you'll need to be more specific.

It's unlikely a moderator would get away with warnings etc. just for disagreeing with their point of view on something.

Also, if you're grinding an axe and making a collateral attack on one of your own warnings, this isn't going to go the way you think it's going to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think you'll need to be more specific.

It's unlikely a moderator would get away with warnings etc. just for disagreeing with their point of view on something.

Also, if you're grinding an axe and making a collateral attack on one of your own warnings, this isn't going to go the way you think it's going to go.
    I'd guess his post history in Community & Transport; basically he appears to have got upset because being a bus driver people actually disagreed with him and his claims and has a long list of grievances.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Didn't look at the post history because it doesn't serve from a neutrality perspective. (I still haven't and I won't until it becomes relevant in some way.)

It's hard to glean anything to give any feedback on given the OP hasn't done anything other than make declarations about the site generally without any evidence or even thought to back that up.

steveblack wrote: »
    Mods and posters are entrenched in their views, if you dont agree and put forward a opposing view, warnings, infractions and bans follow.
    Get infracted while others who support the view of the mod and post the same infraction worthy comments get no infraction.

Different views not allowed?

I'd disagree with you, but I'm terrified of the consequences. ;)

If you hold unpopular opinions, you can expect those opinions to be unpopular. Most of the perceived persecution of those who think they're mavericks, dancing to the beat of a less mainstream drum, is pique at not being allowed spout hate/intolerance/bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

In the Politics forum steve if you don't provide proof to back up your facts you will get called up on it. It's in the forum charter. Putting forward an "opposing view" as you say is not a problem but not being able to stand over it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 steveblack572

Nody wrote: »
    I'd guess his post history in Community & Transport; basically he appears to have got upset because being a bus driver people actually disagreed with him and his claims and has a long list of L="]grievances[].

Im steveblack, closed the other account, does not say is closed but it is ,i got to the scramble password point and then it said i could not continue. That account is dead.

Have no grievances nor am i upset that people disagreed with me.
    The post you are referring to is a classic example of the hive mind at work. I purposely wrote it to show how you cannot go against the group think on display in many forums.
    Look at what happened, a mod locked the thread, because they dont agree with what is written. Pathetic how they behave.
    If what you say is different to the hive mind you cannot engage in a decent discussion, its not just me but anyone who disagrees with get infracted or banned. Think im in the wrong then spend a little time in the commuting and transport forum.

Regarding the ukriane thread in politics, dont take my word for it go have a look for yourself, anyone who questions the legitimacy of what the USA/EU is doing there is infracted or banned.
    Its quite sad how the mods lead the group think and are applauded by those posters who agree with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Look at what happened, a mod locked the thread, because they dont agree with what is written. Pathetic how they behave.

A mod likely locked the thread because it was a baseless rant with no proof to back up with it up,

If I went into the thread and ranted about truck drivers are xyz etc etc etc with no evidence at all then I'd expect my thread to be locked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

The post you are referring to is a classic example of the hive mind at work. I purposely wrote it to show how you cannot go against the group think on display in many forums.

Is it possible that, because you said you were posting that, and then posting no more, that the mod locked the thread to stop the inevitable argument (and potential pile-on) that a thread produces.

Someone dropping a grenade of a post and then leaving to let others fight it out doesn't add much to the posting community.

Cabaal wrote: »
    A mod likely locked the thread because it was a baseless rant with no proof to back up with it up,

It is the perspective of a dublin bus driver, as for proof, do you require a photo of me at work,a copy of my pay slip. Who would claim to be a dublin bus driver on here if they where not, all you get is abuse.
    My point still stands, the thread was locked because it goes against the group think.

AltAccount wrote: »
    Is it possible that, because you said you were posting that, and then posting no more, that the mod locked the thread to stop the inevitable argument (and potential pile-on) that a thread produces.

Someone dropping a grenade of a post and then leaving to let others fight it out doesn't add much to the posting community.

Not a grenade, but a real view of how it is ,not the way the hive mind perceives it to be, and therefore it must be locked, cannot have anything challenge their view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

It is the perspective of a dublin bus driver, as for proof, do you require a photo of me at work,a copy of my pay slip. Who would claim to be a dublin bus driver on here if they where not, all you get is abuse.
    My point still stands, the thread was locked because it goes against the group think.

Resistance is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Not a grenade, but a real view of how it is ,not the way the hive mind perceives it to be, and therefore it must be locked, cannot have anything challenge their view.

You seem to be pretty entrenched in your views too. Are there any bus drivers who enjoy their job, any who tackle the people you let off, or do you speak a definitive truth?

What would need to happen to make you change your mind?

No that thread was obviously closed because you posted and stated you weren't going to bother to return and interact with the community. This is a discussion site, not a whine blog for you to facilitate hit and run posts.

You seem to be unable to handle people with differing views to your own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Im steveblack, closed the other account, does not say is closed but it is ,i got to the scramble password point and then it said i could not continue. That account is dead.
    Merely looking below the steveblack user name on this thread, as well as the steveblack572 user name, both show "Registered User" open accounts. Having two open user accounts on boards.ie violates our Terms of Use, as well as specifically violating the charters of some forums. It is strongly recommended that you resolve this issue, or you may be banned regardless of the content of your posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Actually it was an admin who closed your thread and not a local Mod and most likely for the reason listed above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

gandalf wrote: »
    No that thread was obviously closed because you posted and stated you weren't going to bother to return and interact with the community. This is a discussion site, not a whine blog for you to facilitate hit and run posts.
    This.

You declared you were no longer going to post after dropping a rant, which just left a vacuum for squabbling and speculation. That would have been closed in any forum. If you want to appear oppressed - try harder.

--

Also, your other account is not closed. We can't do it for you either. Either you close it by retrieving your password using the "forgot password" function, or we'll need to remove posting rights from it. If there's something precluding you from doing this, let us know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Your latest thread in Commuting and Transport was closed by an admin because it was just a parting shot "I'm not coming back so in the meantime here's my opinion and I wont be reading your responses!"

This is a discussion site. Things get discussed, not soapboxed or preached. If you want a one way platform for your opinions to be read by the masses then I suggest you start a blog and disable comments. Just don't do it here.

As for "hive mind" : yes there is a n element of similar thinking among the mods/cmods/admins (admins freely admit to a hivemind setup). There has to be, its called consistency in moderating decisions and its because there is a set of rules that have to be followed and the mods/cmods/admins discus the interpretation of these rules constantly so we are all on the same page when it comes to why an action should or should not be taken

hive mind mentality among users: again, there will always be an element of this to a degree. forums are made up of groups of users that have a common interest. The longer you are a member of a forum, the more times you read discussion and debate and argument and , if its a good discussion or logically infallible / ethically obvious etc, the more chance that the users way of thinking will start to come round to that of the majority.

[snip]damn you Dades... I shall have my revenge for your usurpation!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

steveblack wrote: »

Two poster got carded for calling each other shills. Just to state the facts!
    Regarding the ukriane thread in politics, dont take my word for it go have a look for yourself, anyone who questions the legitimacy of what the USA/EU is doing there is infracted or banned.
    Its quite sad how the mods lead the group think and are applauded by those posters who agree with them.

Obvious Russian shills (they exist) get banned, nobody gets banned for a point of view, people who get uncivil over and over and over will get banned.

Also, demanding the answer you want, over and over, will not go down well on a politics board. People have different opinions, you mightn't like the reply they give, that doesn't give you the right to ignore it and badger somebody to give you the opinion you want.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Two poster got carded for calling each other shills. Just to state the facts!

Obvious Russian shills (they exist) get banned, nobody gets banned for a point of view, people who get uncivil over and over and over will get banned.

Also, demanding the answer you want, over and over, will not go down well on a politics board. People have different opinions, you mightn't like the reply they give, that doesn't give you the right to ignore it and badger somebody to give you the opinion you want.

So when a poster gets caught telling completely made up information or just out right lies, you cannot call them out on it?
    They can continue to ignore post that prove they are in the wrong and have zero consequences for being caught out?
    So it not really a discussion between different opinions, its the hive mind shutting down or ignoring all different views?
    Sad is the word that springs to mind, there main defense to different views is to to say you must hate the west, did it ever occur to them that maybe they actually love the west and hate to see whats happening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So when a poster gets caught telling completely made up information or just out right lies, you cannot call them out on it?
    They can continue to ignore post that prove they are in the wrong and have zero consequences for being caught out?
    So it not really a discussion between different opinions, its the hive mind shutting down or ignoring all different views?
    Sad is the word that springs to mind, there main defense to different views is to to say you must hate the west, did it ever occur to them that maybe they actually love the west and hate to see whats happening to it.

Would you like to point out these Lies apparently posted that's upset you .
    This the same poster who demanded repeatedly that a another look at a picture of a dead pregnant lady that proved your views right .
    Oh and as was pointed out the poor lady who died and was posed for propaganda pictures for social media .
    Who wasn't actually pregnant.

Since then you went back the same discussion to demand people post proof and links in a juvenile attempt at derailing a ligimate discussion

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm struggling to see any actual feedback here.

Gatling wrote: »
    Would you like to point out these Lies apparently posted that's upset you .
    This the same poster who demanded repeatedly that a another look at a picture of a dead pregnant lady that proved your views right .
    Oh and as was pointed out the poor lady who died and was posed for propaganda pictures for social media .
    Who wasn't actually pregnant.

Since then you went back the same discussion to demand people post proof and links in a juvenile attempt at derailing a ligimate discussion

Your source say old lady , others say pregnant woman, does it matter ? She was killed by the people you support, Nazi thugs.
    Thats a fact that you do not want to admit because it goes against the group think.
    For trying to get a response to you and others blatant lies all those who disagree and prove you are wrong get banned.
    Any source that back up the demonize russia or putin is considered valid, a tweet or facebook post, the moscow times which is a free metro herald type of paper are valid?
    Yet any source that proves otherwise is invalid, its a russian propaganda mouthpiece.

Any post that infers the USA/EU are in the wrong requires links to back it up.
    Any post that demonise russia or putin is taken as gospel with no proof, call these fantasists out on their BS and you get the wrath of the mods, The hive mind wont allow anyone to question the pre approved narrative of the group think.

If you think this is wrong , i suggest go over and spend a few minutes in the politics forum, all dissent from the party line is shut down.
    There is no variance of opinion, it just a load of back slapping and conformation of the view of the Hive mind.
    Same can be said of the commuting and transport forum, Try and give them the truth of what they are complaining about and they dont want to know.
    a cie worker who gives them a truthful answer to a question is not welcome over there, it not what the hive mind wants to hear.

Its sad, very closed minded, suppose they are happy in there view and dont want to change even when confronted with evidence they are wrong.

...go over and spend a few minutes in the politics forum... There is no variance of opinion...
    If you're going to post rants in the Feedback forum, you could at least have the grace to post rants that aren't self-evidently nonsensical.

steve the only problem here is that your closed mind doesn't seem to allow for people to have differing views to yours. I'd suggest that you find an alternative medium to express yourself because you clearly cannot fathom how this community and discussion site works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

steveblack572,

May I suggest you create an account on www.blogger.com,
    Since you want to post rants without entering into discussion (like your locked thread) I think posting posts on a blog might be better for you

gandalf wrote: »
    steve the only problem here is that your closed mind doesn't seem to allow for people to have differing views to yours. I'd suggest that you find an alternative medium to express yourself because you clearly cannot fathom how this community and discussion site works.

Pot ,kettle and black spring to mind.
    You also hit the nail on the head with "community", it might have started out with all different types of view, but now as they say birds of a feather flock together. No alternative view is tolerated.

One classic example of the hive mind protecting it own is when a infraction/ban is given. You get a private message to say you have broken the charter, no specifics given
    , which is very lazy modding, so off you go and check the charter,then come back to the thread and see multiple violations of the charter by posters who conform to the view of the hive mind.
    Here's where it gets good, its against the charter to point out these violations , no back seat modding. Instant infraction/ban.

To be honest im stunned i have not been banned already for daring to stick my head above the parapet and point out the double standards.

To be honest im stunned i have not been banned already for daring to stick my head above the parapet and point out the double standards.

But you haven't.

You haven't once pointed to any - not one single - example of what you're claiming. Not one. None.

It isn't feedback, it's just a rant claiming double-standards and hivemindedness. You've been asked to show us what you're claiming to be true and you haven't.

The only conclusion that can be drawn is that you have not shown us what you're talking about because you cannot. And you cannot because it isn't happening.

Yeah, still no feedback; just an outpouring of butthurt at being disagreed with, along with some objective untruths. I can't see any compelling reason to leave this open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement