Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon update August 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

mfceiling wrote: »
    Can't - moved into a new house and the management company won't allow satellite dishes. I'm waiting to hear back from them about this ruling. Pretty much stopped watching television because of it.....so many problems with this box and we've had it about 5 or 6 weeks now. I had Sky for about 4 years and never had a single ounce of trouble with it. A remote that was easy to use and every recording started and stopped and recorded perfect.

And what has any of that to do with the latest software update? Are you on the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

And what has any of that to do with the latest software update? Are you on the trial?

No, no trial. Last night the wife sat down to watch tv, pressed down on the remote and off it went haywire, just flying past all the channels...she turned it off and watched a dvd.

I don't see what a software update will do to help the ease of use of the horizon system. I can still only see what is on now and next - is this going to be looked at? I've no red button for the extras on the bbc - will this be looked at? There's no page up/page down function -will this be looked at? When I press guide it goes to the channel i'm on and never back to the top - will this be looked at?

I know you seem to like Horizon former, but I came to it from Sky and find it to be a totally inferior product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The older D4A box works very like a sky box and with recent updates to some of the models, its about on par performance wise. Id suggest you just downgrade to one of these HD DVR's.

My point is that this is totally off topic. This is supposed to be about the software update, which is performing flawlessly for me after 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The older D4A box works very like a sky box and with recent updates to some of the models, its about on par performance wise. Id suggest you just downgrade to one of these HD DVR's.

This is what the rep on the UPC told me. The reason the wife signed up for Horizon was she was told on the phone about how superior this product was to Sky and that it literally would blow the competition out of the water. We can't even get internet access from the box if we move to our kitchen!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mfceiling wrote: »
    This is what the rep on the UPC told me. The reason the wife signed up for Horizon was she was told on the phone about how superior this product was to Sky and that it literally would blow the competition out of the water. We can't even get internet access from the box if we move to our kitchen!!

This is why UPC don't give a sh1t about what we on boards think about the box. Prospective customers believe everything they are told by the salespeople on the phone and don't do any research like read what people here are saying about it.

Not saying I think Horizon is crap but I do resent the way it was pushed out into the market as the saviour of the world when clearly UPC must have known about the loss of function (no series delete) and slow response times.

They told me last October that series delete was a 'planned product improvement' for the first half of 2014. Again this shows how UPC care more about marketing than they do for their customers. They drop an essential function when they launch a new box, it takes them a year to restore it and they call it a 'product improvement' :confused:

Software update Software update Software update Software update

There are plenty of other threads in which general Horizon updates are being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Was away for a few days, so only using the horizon box with the firmware upgrade today. Series delete works fine. Favourites mode seems to be an improvement. Jumping by a day in the guide works well.

Overall the box seems to be a bit more responsive.

The settings layout has been changed quite a bit also
    eg the amount of disk space remaining is now in settings/diagnostics. Delete everything is now only available in settings /horizon tv hd+ box, much safer!

I think this firmware upgrade has made a big improvement in the usability of the box. TBH I know people have had problems with the box, not disputing that, but for us the box works well(No issues with WiFi coverage etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

they removed the option to change the wifi settings through the horizon box[ which I found very handy] has to be done online now which is a bit of a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Ability to skip to next day on tv guide confirmed.

Easy streaming of content from mobile to Horizon via twonky confirmed.

Looking good.

Is streaming being addressed on this update? Because I'm finding it v poor streaming from PC to STB via twonky etc...it's rock solid through my PS3 but v unstable through the Horizon STB. It also doesn't format the video properly...

• Advertisement

Email survey on the new update has gone out to trial participants so hopefully if the feedback is good (mine was), then it will be rolled out to everyone shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Email survey on the new update has gone out to trial participants so hopefully if the feedback is good (mine was), then it will be rolled out to everyone shortly.

Mine was positive too. The delete series option was a winner. Hopefully now we'll get the €25 off. For a free month I'll write UPC a love sonnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mine was positive too. The delete series option was a winner. Hopefully now we'll get the €25 off. For a free month I'll write UPC a love sonnet.

Did you have any comments about the favourites mode? I think it is ridiculous that it disables when you type in a channel number and you then have to re-enable. My only other negative comment was to do with the fact that the start channel option seems to be gone.

When do we find out if we were in the first 100 to get the €25 credit?

Did you have any comments about the favourites mode? I think it is ridiculous that it disables when you type in a channel number and you then have to re-enable. My only other negative comment was to do with the fact that the start channel option seems to be gone.

I don't use the favourites option. Never did. I'm pretty unpredictable when it comes to what I watch so thats not a UPC fault. The delete series was a big plus for me. Any improvements in the Guide are good.
    I did suggest they need to tidy up the apps section (YouTube is a nightmare) and introduce some sort of BBC player option. One is technical and doable, and the other is licensing which I understand.

As for the €25, they'll notify the "winners" on the 15th...ie. Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Horizon Go app has been updated for the iPhone

It now works fully with Horizon trial Firmware update
    Remote Control and push to TV now working ok

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

If you only type in the favorite number ie: 1 for your first favorite, 2 for your second and so on instead of the UPC channel numbers it will change to the selected channel with out leaving the favourites mode.

paulboland wrote: »

They've released an update to Android as well, I'll check it this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

pauleoin wrote: »
    If you only type in the favorite number ie: 1 for your first favorite, 2 for your second and so on instead of the UPC channel numbers it will change to the selected channel with out leaving the favourites mode.

That's good to know, thanks. Still doesn't solve it if you want to go to a channel not on your favourites though.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

paulboland wrote: »

The new Go app is generally a decent improvement on previous iterations IMO works much better, more responsive...to date anyway...

They've released an update to Android as well, I'll check it this evening.

Yep Android app is fully functional again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

One of my survey notes I asked them to fix this
    I asked them to keep favourites mode enabled if you enter a channel number with remote
    Just keep it enabled or disabled when either choice selected
    And use the colour button blue for example to enable or disable

I don't use the favourites option. Never did. I'm pretty unpredictable when it comes to what I watch so thats not a UPC fault. The delete series was a big plus for me. Any improvements in the Guide are good.
    I did suggest they need to tidy up the apps section (YouTube is a nightmare) and introduce some sort of BBC player option. One is technical and doable, and the other is licensing which I understand.

As for the €25, they'll notify the "winners" on the 15th...ie. Friday.

Anyone get an email yet about the €25 credit? I didn't reply to the survey till half 3 on Tuesday so not sure if I was quick enough to be in the first 100...

Yup, it landed in my inbox at 4:51 Pm.

I did the survey around 10 AM that morning.

Yup, it landed in my inbox at 4:51 Pm.

I did the survey around 10 AM that morning.

Darn, missed out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Anyone know where to find out how much of the disk space is used since the trial update? Can't seem to find it since the update. But have to say Horizon is so much better with this update, really fast menu options, the whole TV guide is instant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find out how much of the disk space is used since the trial update? Can't seem to find it since the update. But have to say Horizon is so much better with this update, really fast menu options, the whole TV guide is instant.

Its in diagnostics iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

So it is :) thanks for that Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Pinkman

Where is the option to check how much space you have left on the hard drive? Also the option of what channel comes on when you turn the box on appears to be gone.

The Horizon Go app has never worked for me. I try to watch something on it and it says "Out of UPC Wifi Network" which is clearly not true as it is fully connected. Remote recording also don't work - says pending and never records. I've deleted it and downloaded it again to no avail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pinkman wrote: »
    Where is the option to check how much space you have left on the hard drive?

Menu; Left or right to settings; up to diagnostics; and enter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Software upgrade has now gone live, just received an email from UPC confirming the following changes,

Delete Series
    Skip by Day
    Favourite Management

Advertisement