Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon update August 2014

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭

Major Update to the User Interface has just come through.

I can confirm successful deletion of an entire series.

More to follow.

Edit: I signed up for the trial so this may not be available to everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Ability to skip to next day on tv guide confirmed.

Easy streaming of content from mobile to Horizon via twonky confirmed.

Looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

OK things area bit better. More control scrolling down through the guide- scrolling stops when you release a long press of the button, rather than spinning like a roulette wheel.

Still needs a page down button and a proper now/next view. Anyway a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Still shít compared to Sky.

3 button presses to get to the TV guide. Writing so small you need binoculars to read it. No red button. Constant button presses for the simplest task. Half the time when you press a button nothing happens.

I've pretty much stopped watching TV now because of it.

mfceiling wrote: »
    3 button presses to get to the TV guide.

Look at your remote. See the button that says "guide"? Give it a push.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did you use the application form on their website to 'trial' the update or not?

I could just go downstairs and check mine but I'm upstairs with the now rock solid by comparison Thomson mediabox and don't want to :p

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Did you use the application form on their website to 'trial' the update or not?

I could just go downstairs and check mine but I'm upstairs with the now rock solid by comparison Thomson mediabox and don't want to :p

Yeah, should have said I signed up for the latest trial.

Look at your remote. See the button that says "guide"? Give it a push.

From the "menu" button it's 3 presses.

Press guide to get the channels - press it again to leave the guide - what happens.....nothing.

To be honest the buttons are so small on the remote it is next to impossible to find the one you need quickly. The remote is nowhere near as intuitive as the Sky remote. I never used anything that needs as many button presses to perform a simple task.

The TV barely is used in our house now because of Horizon. I asked on the UPC thread as to why the menu kept whizzing round when i stopped pressing the down button - the answer - do you want the older box? Seriously - the one we had was 3 weeks old. Imagine any service provider offering you their old model because the new one (which you had signed up for) didn't work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yeah, should have said I signed up for the latest trial.

Do you have to wait to be asked or is there an option on the UPC website where you can ask to be included?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Option was there last week, needed the account # and by the time I got home to find that, it had closed.

And nobody thought to create a thread to alert other boardsies so we could get in before the great unwashed?

Cheers folks. Not you MYOB, I mean people who had already signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

coylemj wrote: »
    And nobody thought to create a thread to alert other boardsies so we could get in before the great unwashed?

Cheers folks. Not you MYOB, I mean people who had already signed up.

I dont think you could sign up unless previously on the original trial, and if you were you would have got an email.

It was posted here:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91507124&postcount=342

Davy wrote: »
    I dont think you could sign up unless previously on the original trial, and if you were you would have got an email.

Not true, I was on the original trial and heard nothing about this upgrade. The fact that I told them I was seriously underwhelmed by the last s/w upgrade might have been why they didn't bother offering me a preview of this one.
    Davy wrote: »

I suggested that a new thread would have been appropriate, that thread has >300 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I was on the original Horizon trial and I was asked to participate in this trial. It's a lot smoother and quicker browsing the UI no lag between selections. Delete series was a must feature overall very happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anybody else's youtube app not working on the Horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

pad199207 wrote: »
    Anybody else's youtube app not working on the Horizon?

mine and it hasn't for 4/5 days now.

have rang them they say its something their end they're working on.

i was on original try re new update and was not offered it this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I wasn't on the original trial but got asked for this one. Only got horizon about 4 months ago. Will test over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I wasn't on the original trial but am on this one. Adding a series delete and getting rid of that delete everything option is a simple but huge difference.
    Again, move forward a day is so simple but makes such a difference.

Even the whole UI seems to be a bit faster.

One thing I cannot figure out yet is the favourites channels. I can set them up but cannot figure how to scroll through the guide just with these.
    The mail says
    You can now choose to only view your favourite channels when you open your TV Guide by selecting ‘Favourites Mode’ in the settings menu.
    You can add or remove channels as you wish and you can even choose the order of preference in which they appear. If you want to return to normal view, all you have to do is ‘Disable Favourite Mode’ in the same menu.
    I don't appear to have a favourites mode option.

Anyone else see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

It seems be able to delete a whole series faster than it could do a single episode before. Impressed on that. Also that in the recordings it tells you the series in the name, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I don't appear to have a favourites mode option.

Anyone else see this?

What Ive figured out so far:

On Any channel press Ok and in there you can enter and exit favorites mode.

Favorites are no longer listed in the guide below channell 100 but now just have a star beside them in the normal guide.

You can re-index the numbers of the favorites in settings>preferences>Favorite channels

Typing in the favorite channels number of the channel will jump to that channel normally but typing in the full 3 digit number will exit favorites mode, even if that 3 digit number is one of your favorites. A bit annoying at first but I dont notice it now once I figured that out.

Its to easy, however, to exit favorites mode by accident and I generally run with it in that mode all the time now, tis a minor gripe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

On Any channel press Ok and in there you can enter and exit favourites mode.
    Yeah, I see that now - works well. Mind you, it still takes seven button presses to change from one to the other in the guide.

Surely it would make sense to utilise the colour buttons on the reverse of the remote
    Favorites are no longer listed in the guide below channell 100 but now just have a star beside them in the normal guide.
    Never realised that - I always wondered why there were channels listed below 100 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Still shít compared to Sky.

3 button presses to get to the TV guide. Writing so small you need binoculars to read it. No red button. Constant button presses for the simplest task. Half the time when you press a button nothing happens.

I've pretty much stopped watching TV now because of it.

Sky's gone to krud in recent updates. Their On Demand menus are absolutely baffling at times. I 'rented' a movie and it disappeared immediately after watching a few mins of it. Never showed up in the planner. They've also now added a 'feature' where hitting backup lands you in the menu system.

Their search functions make no sense either.
    In general set top box interfaces are pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I have a SKY HD box as well as a horizon ( also have an e-vision box). The sky box really isnt all that great, its a 10 year +old design with a badly implemented on demand feature with a limited catalogue, Its slow and clunky. What it has going for it is its simple and intuitive, but thats really it. The horizons picture quaity is much better, channel changes just using channel up/down is much faster then the sky box which, now I use favorites mode most of the time, its wiping the floor with the sky box in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How do I set which channel is on when I switch on? I had it set to a channel before I got this update but it's not happening anymore and I can't find the setting to do it again.

I think the fast forward by day is a great addition but I'm still getting used to the favourites.

How do I set which channel is on when I switch on? I had it set to a channel before I got this update but it's not happening anymore and I can't find the setting to do it again.

This is on the old s/w ....

Settings/Preferences/General/Start Channel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

From the "menu" button it's 3 presses.

Press guide to get the channels - press it again to leave the guide - what happens.....nothing.

Where does it say pressing the "guide" button will exit you from the guide?

The TV button(above info button) will get you out of any on screen data and straight back to the TV pictures. That's two button presses to enter and exit the guide. You're just doing it wrong.

coylemj wrote: »
    This is on the old s/w ....

Settings/Preferences/General/Start Channel

That option seems to be gone unfortunately

Where does it say pressing the "guide" button will exit you from the guide?

The TV button(above info button) will get you out of any on screen data and straight back to the TV pictures. That's two button presses to enter and exit the guide. You're just doing it wrong.

Yeah...on the sky remote it really is so easy...press your button and you go back again. One or two presses to do anything...UPC have the most ridiculously stupid remote...numerous button presses for simple tasks, buttons so small you would need a pencil to press them and it seemed that the designer got paid per button he could squeeze on to the remote...

@mfceiling

Did you join this discussion only to complain, if you really hate UPC's service that much then why don't you cancel and go back to Sky. Problem solved

That favourites are deactivated every time you type in a number is a pain.

• Advertisement

@mfceiling

Did you join this discussion only to complain, if you really hate UPC's service that much then why don't you cancel and go back to Sky. Problem solved

Can't - moved into a new house and the management company won't allow satellite dishes. I'm waiting to hear back from them about this ruling. Pretty much stopped watching television because of it.....so many problems with this box and we've had it about 5 or 6 weeks now. I had Sky for about 4 years and never had a single ounce of trouble with it. A remote that was easy to use and every recording started and stopped and recorded perfect.

Advertisement