Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Docotor's Wife by Brian Moore .... I'm loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Have you read Redemption Falls, it's kind of a sequel but only in the loosest sense of the word. Very good too.

Yes. Love that also, and Ghost Light. I reckon Joseph O'Connor is one of the best writers alive. Nothing he's ever written has been a disappointment. His most recent effort is another classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Really enjoyed The Death of Bees, love the conversational style of writing.
    Got Star of the Sea from the library so that's up next.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Finished Closed Doors by Lisa O'Donnell. Nowhere near as good as The Death of Bees. Told from the point of view of a 11/12 year old boy it got a bit annoying at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

finished A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing, was blown away. Really, really loved it. Started Breakfast Of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. I have high expectations because I enjoyed Slaughterhouse 5 a lot.

• Advertisement

a0ifee wrote: »
    finished A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing, was blown away. Really, really loved it. Started Breakfast For Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. I have high expectations because I enjoyed Slaughterhouse 5 a lot.

It's a super read without doubt :)

Finished The Doctor's Wife by Brian Moore ... superb really enjoyed it.

Now it's Lake Wobegon Summer 1956 by Garrison Keillor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

a0ifee wrote: »
    Onto A Girl Is A Half-Formed Thing now, and I'm already entranced by the writing style.

Am halfway through this myself and while the plot is tripping on nicely and the narrative voice rings true, I'm finding myself getting irritated by the writing style. I'm skimming whole pages and I'm not sure if that's the intent.

Will persevere though.

Finished Lake Wobegon Summer 1956 by Garrison Keillor ... nice gentle, coming of age story from a more innocent time.

Next is Daddy Love by Joyce Carol Oates

Have just started After The Fire A Still Small Voice by Evie Wyld.

Not very far in but am enjoying it so far. There's something about a lot of Australian writers that I like. Their writing is quite simple but there's still so much in it... if that makes sense.

Wyld is English/Australian but I think she spent her younger years in Australia and her writing definitely reminds me of a few other Australian authors I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

ivytwine wrote: »
    On a Stephen King kick at the moment- Got Joyland from the library so that's up next.

You're in for a treat with Joyland. More of a paean to friendship and coming-of-age than anything resembling horror, but I think King's real talent lies in characterisation anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You're in for a treat with Joyland. More of a paean to friendship and coming-of-age than anything resembling horror, but I think King's real talent lies in characterisation anyway.

Yay! I'm looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭boccy23

Finished the second of the Game of Thrones. Really is excellent stuff.

Reading Jo Nesbo's Cockroaches now. Will probably go back to with Child 44 then and back to GOT after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Finished the Sound and the Fury today - an excellent read. Just after reading that James Franco has made a movie version and cast himself as Benjy :eek::eek::(

Gonna start re-reading Thomas Pynchon's hilarious Inherent Vice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I picked up a book yesterday called "To rise again at a decent hour" by Joshua Ferris, it's just been published and it's started very well.
    Finished Star of the sea for the second time, absolutely fantastic. I may revisit some more of my favourites soon enough.

In The Woods by Tana French

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finished Artemis Fowl and the Arctic Incident.

Going to read Stoner by John Williams next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Only recently started The Constant Gardener by John le Carrè. I'm off now to continue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

East of Eden, John Steinbeck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Fired through 1927 on holidays, now back to similarly titled but utterly dissimilar 1Q84, Book 3 to finish. Don't think it will get to a totally satisfactory conclusion but the journey is enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I just finished "Shake Hands With The Devil", a first hand account of the Rwandan genocide written by the UN Force Commander who was in Rwanda on a Peacekeeping mission at the time. It's utterly disgraceful how the world stood by and watched while 800,000 innocent people were slaughtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Finished A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing. I enjoyed it though it took a little bit of getting used to the writing style.

I followed that with Gypsy Boy by Mikey Walsh, found that an interesting read and so sad in places.

Now I've just started The Maze Runner by James Dashner. It seems like a good, handy read. I don't know much about it yet as I just picked it from my Kobo so I'll see where it takes me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Finished the Lord of the Rings last week, having had it on my to read list for about 10 years! Incredible books, seriously regret not reading them sooner.

I've now started the Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng, about a third of the way in and enjoying it so far, some of the prose is really beautiful.

Started Justin Cronin's The Passage yesterday, and stayed up til about 2am with it.

Absolutely zonked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Just finished Malarky by Anakana Schofield. Very interesting book and set in Mayo of all places.

Starting Tampa by Alissa Nutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

crustybla wrote: »

Now I've just started The Maze Runner by James Dashner. It seems like a good, handy read. I don't know much about it yet as I just picked it from my Kobo so I'll see where it takes me.

I really liked the maze runner, it's not the best book ever but it was enjoyable. Looking forward to the film!

Pang wrote: »
    Starting Tampa by Alissa Nutting.

The cover of that gained me some very strange looks in work.

I'll be interested to hear what you make of it.

The Thrill of it All by Joseph O'Connor

Finished After the Fire, A Still Small Voice

I loved it right up until the end but I'm not sure it really went anywhere? It alternates chapters between Frank, a guy who just broke up with his girlfriend and takes off to a shack by the beach, and Leon, growing up in Sydney in the 70's (I think) who gets drafted to Vietnam. I loved the writing and was invested in both characters stories but I'm just not sure about that ending...

Next up, The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Star of the Sea and I think I'm probably in a small minority of readers not being totally overawed by O'Connor's work. I didn't dislike the book just not bowled over by it.

The novel sets the scene of Ireland in the early 19th century very well. The descriptions of life during the famine for both classes are excellent but I didn't like the style of writing. It didn't flow for me. I dislike books that hop back and forth in time, all the footnotes and clarifications made it feel like a text book and broke the narrative. I also felt the epilogue was far too long and contained a lot of material with little relevance to the story.

Advertisement