Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your setup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

iba wrote: »
    On what dish?
    on an 80cm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

kooga wrote: »
    in my endless quest to get 9east i have a mix of 7east as well! So now i have 28,19,13 9 and 7

You mean you're getting 9 & 7 with 1 LNB? Which channels are in this 'mix'?

will do an update when i am home but we have bbc persia which is 7 east a frew trt channels i think the kids (coco) from 9 east pentagon and AAA. This is just off the top of my head peter

If they are being picked up on the same LNB i.e. listed under 1 sat. position, you would have to be getting 9 & 7 east on this 1 LNB but, if they are appearing in an 'all satellites' list, some could be from 13 east.

peter its one lnb getting a mix of 7 and 9 east.

However the TP I really want on 9east I can't get which is 12034v 27500 to get TF1 and M6 HD.

however on 7 east I get TRT cocuk and bbc Persian on a European B beam which according to satbeams means a dish size of of 110cm. My bbc Persian is not the hotbird tp but eurobird 7 tp number.

More importantly does anybody on 9 east get TF1 or M6 (Suisse versions)

If you want good reception on a wide spread of satellites with a fixed dish, then you really need a type of dish that's specially designed for the job, like a twin-reflector 'toroidal' type.

With a parabolic dish, only the on-axis signals are focused to a single point. The further off-axis you go, the more blurred the focus gets: effectively means these LNBs 'see' less of the dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

peter its one lnb getting a mix of 7 and 9 east.

However the TP I really want on 9east I can't get which is 12034v 27500 to get TF1 and M6 HD.

however on 7 east I get TRT cocuk and bbc Persian on a European B beam which according to satbeams means a dish size of of 110cm. My bbc Persian is not the hotbird tp but eurobird 7 tp number.

More importantly does anybody on 9 east get TF1 or M6 (Suisse versions)

Yes I get those stations perfectly. 9E is really strong! The modulation for those channels is 8PSK by the way.

Also if you are getting some of both 7E and 9E then you need to move the dish or the LNB to get one properly. There is no point in trying to get both with the one lnb, the dish isnt properly aligned then for all tp's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

Hi all,

I'm in Dublin and have a Lenson Heath 1m dish on the back of the house pointing at 28.2e now. Am I correct in saying that I should have no problems whatsoever to add additional LNB's to point at 13 and 19 too? Any other sats I should consider getting an LNB for too ? Would you suggest all individual LNB's or a combination of monoblocks ?

If I was just to go for those three, what direction should the dish be pointed directly at ? Would I need a special multilnb holder or will any one do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Zardoz

championc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm in Dublin and have a Lenson Heath 1m dish on the back of the house pointing at 28.2e now. Am I correct in saying that I should have no problems whatsoever to add additional LNB's to point at 13 and 19 too? Any other sats I should consider getting an LNB for too ? Would you suggest all individual LNB's or a combination of monoblocks ?

If I was just to go for those three, what direction should the dish be pointed directly at ? Would I need a special multilnb holder or will any one do ?

You should have no bother adding 13 and 19e to that dish ,they are strong satellites so easily received .

You could get a number of other positions with a 1m dish ,perhaps 16e,9e,5e and 23.5e too although you may need slim lnbs for 16e .

If setting up for 13,19e and 28e you would set the dish up for 19e and then add the other 2 lnbs.
    Something like this should do the job ,just make sure the holder can accommodate a 9 degree offset.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Telesystem-3-LNB-Holder-/160880633896?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_LNBs&hash=item25753ba828

• Advertisement

Looking at implementing the following setup, do I just need standard twin LNB's or are they special ones that are needed ?

switch2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Looking at implementing the following setup, do I just need standard twin LNB's or are they special ones that are needed ?

switch2.jpg

If I understand your picture correctly. I think you should get quad LNBs and then just 4 Diseqc switches.

Or you could get a multi switch and then I think you only need single LNBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

That setup as drawn will not work. If you want to receive 4 orbital positions on 4 different receivers, you will need 4x quad LNBFs and 4x 4-way diseqc switches.

Apogee wrote: »
    That setup as drawn will not work. If you want to receive 4 orbital positions on 4 different receivers, you will need 4x quad LNBFs and 4x 4-way diseqc switches.

I got that diagram off a website so it wasn't something I just drew myself. In what way will it not work because I have (maybe stupidly) gone and bought the 4 multiswitches already ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I got that diagram off a website so it wasn't something I just drew myself. In what way will it not work because I have (maybe stupidly) gone and bought the 4 multiswitches already ?

What website and which multiswitches did you buy?

• Advertisement

What I guess is that you want to have a sat signal going to 4 receivers (I guess 4 different rooms). For this you only need 4 Quad LNBs and 4 4x1 Diseqc switchs.

You say you have bought a multi switch (times 4), so then I think you only need 4 single LNBs. I presume that the multi switch is a 4 in and a 4 out? Perhaps you could post a link to what you have bought?

Or better still, actually explain what you want to do to save us all from guessing?

You say you have bought a multi switch (times 4), so then I think you only need 4 single LNBs.

You think wrong. Anyway, I'd say it's 4 DiSEqC switches of some description he bought, not multiswitches, although he could use a single multiswitch with inputs for multiple satellite positions.

Are your receivers all single-tuner? Or maybe you're using that diagram to represent a couple of twin-tuner receivers?

How many actual tuners do you want to feed the multi-sat. signal to?

Here are the multi-switches I bought - exactly the ones in the diagram.

sam3402_zoom.gif

I can see that I have somewhat overcomplicated things unnecessarily !!

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You think wrong. Anyway, I'd say it's 4 DiSEqC switches of some description he bought, not multiswitches, although he could use a single multiswitch with inputs for multiple satellite positions.

I want to get a multi-switch, will this work:

http://satsklep.pl/en_US/p/Multiswitch-58-MS-BL58B-Blue-Line-/460

I have 5 LNBs going into an 8x1 Diseqc and then I want the signal to go to three receivers.

• Advertisement

Here are the multi-switches I bought - exactly the ones in the diagram.

Not much use for European setups. Just outline exactly what you want to achieve: how many satellite positions, to how many tuners.

I want to get a multi-switch, will this work:

http://satsklep.pl/en_US/p/Multiswitch-58-MS-BL58B-Blue-Line-/460

I have 5 LNBs going into an 8x1 Diseqc and then I want the signal to go to three receivers.

The 8x1 DiSEqC switch can only feed a single tuner. If you want to feed multiple tuners from 5 satellite positions, you will need a multiswitch with at least 20 satellite inputs: switches for 5 - 8 sat. positions listed here.

The 8x1 DiSEqC switch can only feed a single tuner. If you want to feed multiple tuners from 5 satellite positions, you will need a multiswitch with at least 20 satellite inputs: switches for 5 - 8 sat. positions listed here.

So you need Quad LNBs too and get rid of the Diseqc switch?

So you need Quad LNBs too and get rid of the Diseqc switch?

The multiswitch takes over the band/polarity switching carried out by a 'universal' LNB, such as a quad or octo. Some multiswitches will only work with quattro LNBs: LNBs with 4 fixed outputs, 1 for each band/polarity 'block', rather than the 4 switchable outputs of a quad.

The switches that work with quad LNBs, do so by effectively turning the quad into a quattro, by keeping each output permanently switched to 1 of the 4 band/polarity blocks (vertical low, vertical high, horizontal low, horizontal high).

Multiswitches that cater for more than 1 sat. position, have the DiSEqC switching built in.

Not much use for European setups.

What is wrong with them ? Are they working with wrong frequencies ?
    Just outline exactly what you want to achieve: how many satellite positions, to how many tuners.

I have a 1m fixed dish and want to get maybe 13e and 19e and maybe one other (suggestions please). I have a twin tuner Amiko Alien2 and then a TV with an onboard Sat tuner so that's three receivers. So I want any tuner to be able to do anything.

I obviously thought that I could just have two cables per LNB from the dish rather than 4 per quattro and then also thought that cheaper more basic multi-switches would do the job

Many thanks

There was no mention of multiswitches until you brought them up yourself. :)

If I was feeding 4 sat. positions to 3 tuners, I would use 4 quad LNBs, with 1 cable from each LNB to each of 3 DiSEqC switches (4x1 type, as linked to here), then each switch output serves 1 tuner . Each tuner will then be able to access any of the 4 sat. positions.

Maybe you also want to include terrestrial feeds on the same cables?

Thanks Peter

Sorry to press you but would the Zinwell switches not work (in case I'm too late to cancel them)

The only issue I would somehow like to avoid is with both of the tuners on my AA2 using the same polarization thus limiting me sometimes to half of the channels.

No, those Zinwell switches are for American LNBs that don't use high/low band switching. From what I can make out, they must work in a similar manner to quad-compatible European switches, effectively converting the US version of what we would call a 'twin' LNB to what we would call a 'dual' LNB (2 fixed outputs, horizontal & vertical).

All you need, is a 4-way switch for each tuner, so each tuner can connect to an output of any of 4 quad LNBs. The LNB will still do all the band & polarity switching.

Cancel your order or consider sending them back. They are only suitable for a US setup where they have a single band and H/V polarisation. In Europe, we have 2 bands (22KHz on/off) in addition to H/V polarisation.

As Peter has mentioned, for 3 tuners and 4 orbital positions, you need 3x 4-way diseqc switches and 4 quad LNBFs.

This thread is way too quiet................would somebody post a pic of there set up with a 90cm dish. Thanks

• Advertisement

The top dish is an 88cm dish, close enough?

7a82bc73eb0acb8b13dd14c8cee697e2.png

4213c7e6e6e305fb2fc571be97b23fc0.png

Top dish has 28/26/23/19 and 13

Bottom dish is on a motor

thank you, whats your 26 reception like?

thank you, whats your 26 reception like?

on the 88, excellent in good weather, poor in rainy weather.

on the motor, nearly excellent all the time in all weather.

But I love 26 because of MBC 2 (recent movies all the time) and MBC Action (TV shows all the time eg Game of thrones, Blue Bloods - that sort of thing).

All in English but with Arabic subs which do not bother me at all.

MBC2 right now on motor:

f82f948e55f8aff863c36bccfb8af1ff.png

and MBC Bollywood is fun too

4213c7e6e6e305fb2fc571be97b23fc0.png
    dish has 28/26/23/19 and 13

So towards which satellite is the dish primarily pointing at ? I have a 1m Lenson Heath dish and have the multisat arm and 3 lnb's ready to go so any pointers would be most welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

I am very limited in space here, I mean maximum arc is 31,5*E-12,5*W. T90 and motorized 1,20cm (small video how it moves)

So towards which satellite is the dish primarily pointing at ? I have a 1m Lenson Heath dish and have the multisat arm and 3 lnb's ready to go so any pointers would be most welcome :)

It's at 26

What sets do you want, then we can tell you where to point it?

RimaNTSS wrote: »
    I am very limited in space here, I mean maximum arc is 31,5*E-12,5*W. T90 and motorized 1,20cm (small video how it moves)

That's a jpeg rather than a vid

Me too. Can't go over 31.5 because of line of site, houses in the way. Think I can go to. 7/8 on the other side though.

Video will be dowloadable when you klick on word "video"

• Advertisement

on the 88, excellent in good weather, poor in rainy weather.

on the motor, nearly excellent all the time in all weather.

But I love 26 because of MBC 2 (recent movies all the time) and MBC Action (TV shows all the time eg Game of thrones, Blue Bloods - that sort of thing).

All in English but with Arabic subs which do not bother me at all.

i see black ultras lnbs to help improve signal

It's at 26

What sets do you want, then we can tell you where to point it?

TBH, I have no real idea. I was thinking about 13 and 19 and can add one more so I'm open to suggestions as to what to point the last one at.

Video will be dowloadable when you klick on word "video"

The word video did not show in blue on my phone :)

TBH, I have no real idea. I was thinking about 13 and 19 and can add one more so I'm open to suggestions as to what to point the last one at.

Well you could try:

28/26/19/13 - point at 26

28/23/19/13 - point at 20

28/23/13/10 - point at 19

But let the experts confirm that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

well if its a free to air setup then id aim at 26. with 28, 23.5, 19, 13 east as offsets.

23.5 is optional but sometimes there's some good feeds on it. But like mentioned 26 is a must.

Personally i'd go motorised with a 1m! you'll get a majority of the sats then.

snaps wrote: »
    well if its a free to air setup then id aim at 26. with 28, 23.5, 19, 13 east as offsets.

23.5 is optional but sometimes there's some good feeds on it. But like mentioned 26 is a must.

Personally i'd go motorised with a 1m! you'll get a majority of the sats then.

Snaps, he only wants four.

That is what I have 28/26/23.5/19/13 and I aim at 26

• Advertisement

It appears to get a good signal on 26 a black ultra is a minimum on a 90cm dish, or do I stand corrected?

In addition other than astra 19.2 and astra 28 is a sky 60cm dish good for pulling in any satellites. I'm based in Cork.Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just thought I'd post an update to my setup and viewing capabilities since i flew my Irish nest!
    So since moving to South East Poland a year ago, I have my trusty motorised 1.1 Gibertini up paired with a twin output titanium .2lnb. I swapped my 10 year old motor for a metal geared technomate one.
    I also have a fixed multi lnb 80cm dish up feeding the bedrooms on 5, 13, 19 east and 1 feed from the motorised dish feeding the main bedroom so that receives 5, 13, 19, 28. (I leave the motorised parked on 28 east).
    I cant receive any freesat stuff since they changed birds earlier this year, but have gained so much more. Nordic beams on 1 west and 5 east are extremely strong, also Amos at 4 west is one of the strongest birds for me now.

So last night i was a bit bored, so updated my satellite xml file (As still using the old one from Ireland 30w-42e), and was happy with my results.

30 west is on the horizon for me (Mountains to my south west), but still reivable. Now going east is the big gain obviously,
    I can get:
    75E ABS 2 (Mainly russian stuff).
    46E Azerspace 1 is another good one for Russian and Georgian stuff.
    54.9E G sat 8 is also fairly strong containing a lot of Russian broadcasting.
    68.5E Intelsat 20 is strong too, lots of African preaching and religious stuff.

319404.png
    Life news at 54.9 East

319413.jpg

319412.jpg

snaps, great! Pictures?
    During summer I had small project to make Grgory-type dish out of 1,8m Prodelin. It took some time but I am quiet happy with the results.

snaps, great! Pictures?
    During summer I had small project to make Grgory-type dish out of 1,8m Prodelin. It took some time but I am quiet happy with the results.

Fixed or polar mount? Is there a significant increase in gain with the Gregorian modification e.g. are you picking up channels you previously weren't?

It is Az-El mount, so I can change dish position but very slowly:mad: And, of course, adjusting LNB skew.
    It is hard to find weak channels on main satellites, but there are several marginal satellites such a 7*W and 26*E. So, if before I could get only some vertically polarized signals from 7*W, than now also possible to get some horizontal. And also levels of signals increased considerably. For example if on 12206 V 27500 I only had 44 ish % than with subreflector got 75%.
    There is sheet of 7*W signals I got with Gregory configuration.

Frequency Symbolrate Signal-Info SNR
    11.564 H 27500 11.57 dB 72,00%
    11.680 H 27500 13.09 dB 81,00%
    11.900 V 27500 9.30 dB 58,00%
    11.919 H 27500 6.53 dB 40,00%
    11.938 V 27500 10.77 dB 67,00%
    11.996 H 27500 7.28 dB 45,00%
    12.034 H 27500 6.94 dB 43,00%
    12.053 V 27500 10.74 dB 67,00%
    12.072 H 27500 7.03 dB 43,00%
    12.130 V 27500 11.13 dB 69,00%
    12.149 H 27500 7.66 dB 47,00%
    12.206 V 27500 12.03 dB 75,00%
    12.226 H 27500 8.29 dB 51,00%
    12.283 V 27500 10.78 dB 67,00%

And 26*E levels look like this:

11.919 H 27500 6.32 dB 39,00%
    11.938 V 27500 6.41 dB 40,00%
    11.957 H 27500 6.94 dB 43,00%
    11.976 V 30000 6.76 dB 42,00%
    11.996 H 27500 6.31 dB 39,00%
    12.015 V 27500 7.56 dB 47,00%
    12.034 H 27500 6.37 dB 39,00%
    12.054 V 27500 7.11 dB 44,00%
    12.111 H 27500 5.94 dB 37,00%
    12.130 V 27500 7.49 dB 46,00%
    12.169 V 22000 6.17 dB 38,00%
    12.182 H 16200 8.17 dB 51,00%
    12.207 V 27500 7.87 dB 49,00%
    12.245 V 27500 5.58 dB 34,00%
    12.523 H 27500 7.16 dB 44,00%
    12.560 H 2850 6.32 dB 39,00%
    12.615 V 2960 5.03 dB 31,00%
    12.683 V 27500 6.38 dB 39,00%
    12.740 H 2200 7.26 dB 45,00%

And.... I am not pretending that everything is perfect in my setup. There are always ways to improve things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement