Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used syringe stuck into the finger of a 7 year old boy on the DART

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Involuntary euthenasia programme.

I don't see the point in hostility towards people who are basically addicted to a substance which is what's causing their behaviour.

You go after the dealers and you lock them away for 40+ years in ultra secure prison with contacts to the outside world being via a glass wall with phones and full monitoring.

Meanwhile you get the end users off the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Involuntary euthenasia programme.
    Do you mean an accidental murder programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-12-19/swiss-drug-addicts-given-free-heroin/1184806

On the face of it, giving drug addicts free heroin is a contentious move, but that is exactly what happens in Switzerland.

A referendum last year was overwhelmingly passed to approve the program, which has been running for years as a trial.

It gives security to a system designed for those addicts who have failed all other treatment options. But it is not without its critics.

On an early morning in the heroin clinic, addicts line up for their turn to receive a syringe with a carefully measured dose of pure heroin.

Controlled and it takes the Dealers out of the equation win win for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭glass_onion

I heard of portable methadone clinics in other juradictions.i don't know if that is true or not.

Canada took another approach,give addicts a place to shoot up.of course they don't provide the drugs.but provide clean needles and a room above if they wish to quit. I think to even suggest the approach here would be politically controversial

2012 article- http://www.theawl.com/2012/04/vancouver-supervised-drug-injection-center

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sure Methadone is given freely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I don't see the point in hostility towards people who are basically addicted to a substance which is what's causing their behaviour.

You go after the dealers and you lock them away for 40+ years in ultra secure prison with contacts to the outside world being via a glass wall with phones and full monitoring.

Meanwhile you get the end users off the drugs.
    You take out one dealer and ten more fill the gap in the market. Where there's addicts, there'll always be people ready to sell to them.

Even if you cull heroin, the dealers will just move on to selling another drug and the cycle will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

That's sickening. I'd be in a right state if it were my kid who got a syringe stuck in them. Just another reminder of why I hate junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Do you mean an accidental murder programme?

Accidental?

I've been thinking recently that I'm thoroughly surprised plain clothes and uniformed Gardaí don't board Dublin Bus, Luas, or DART at all. The amount of times I've seen scangers drinking on bus services - heck, once I saw a pair of scangers very visibly getting their highs at the back of the bus. This was with young children on the same deck too. They don't care and have absolutely no regard for anyone else. If the Gardaí start showing a presence, then it might go somewhere but no - for some reason junkies are allowed to do what ever they want in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

The guards are sick of arresting the same gob****es only to see them walk free.

The way the reporting of attacks, drugs, knifes ect on the DART and LUAS by security is this....

Being pissed, abusive or just a general annoyance to other passengers is public order/drunk and disorderly.

Assault, visual drug use, knife/syringe attacks, spitting ect is all reported in their hand book. By the time it gets to the too its all DOD or PO offences.

So the people who make the decisions and make up statistics are been fed lies. To really get an idea you should read from the Security handbook.

Until people know the real mess the powers that be will keep it pushed under the rug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Last time I was in Dublin, about 2 months ago.. I swear to fcuk I witnessed two Gardai walk straight past a junkie who was in the process of injecting. They barely gave him a second look.

I was aghast at it tbh. Imagine being a tourist and seeing the police appearing to allow the public consumption of Class A drugs on the street. I don't understand it at all. People are regularly arrested for being drunk like.

In fairness to the Gardai, they can only do their best with what limited resources they are given by the State and the justice system. If they arrest a drunk for acting the bollocks, said bollocks might think twice about making a show of him/herself in future. If they arrest a junkie, the courts will let them on their way and it will have nowhere near the same affect.

These people are beyond embarassment, and sometimes beyond help. I have nothing but respect for an addict who can successfully kick the habit, but the State attatches no consequences for them refusing to do so and so they can act with impunity, and it is the ordinary decent people who have to interact with them and their by-products that are punished...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Kill em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

We should be giving serious consideration towards the setting up of an Irish Transport Police. Companies like Iarnród Éireann & Veolia Transport have consistently shown that their private security contractors are unable to adequately police their transport networks. The only thing that will deter petty criminals, who cause this sort of thing, is by having in place a proper transport police force with powers of arrest.

Let the transport companies provide 95% of funding like they do for the British Transport Police. Then we might actually get a public transport network that might feel safe to members of the public at all times.

Absolutely agreed - I think what you suggest is almost a no-brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Fair City have a similar story line at the moment. I suggest you all watch it as it highlights the issue so excellently.

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    In fairness to the Gardai, they can only do their best with what limited resources they are given by the State and the justice system. If they arrest a drunk for acting the bollocks, said bollocks might think twice about making a show of him/herself in future. If they arrest a junkie, the courts will let them on their way and it will have nowhere near the same affect.

These people are beyond embarassment, and sometimes beyond help. I have nothing but respect for an addict who can successfully kick the habit, but the State attatches no consequences for them refusing to do so and so they can act with impunity, and it is the ordinary decent people who have to interact with them and their by-products that are punished...

Yeah, I wouldn't blame the Gardai at all for what goes on, and I certainly don't envy the stuff they have to put up with. They're pretty much hamstrung with how the courts and legislators tackle the issue.

Someone mentioned the Swiss model for dealing with heroin usage.. I wonder if Ireland will ever be as progressive about these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

When I was his age, that was my nightmare - I would have little panic attacks if I found little sore patches or hurt myself when playing in the park (though I wouldn't think of it at the time, only later realising it could have been a syringe). Terrified of aids, I was. I would be in bits thinking about the POSSIBILITY, I can't imagine being that kid who it happened to at 7 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Donaldio

I cant imagine actuall heroin being provided for addicts by the state here we are not Switzerland. Methadone is said to be also a very addictive and really damaging drug i suppose you would have to look into how successful or unsuccessful that kind of treatment has been here. The Canadian model of provideing an actual area that addicts can use seems a good idea and certainly more preferable than public parks, streets, transport stations etc

What you are looking at is peole who need help. The whole thing just becomes a lifestyle or way of life really, even what your talking about is something that can be very long term and almost just becomes a sort of social condition.

But yeh it certainly is shocking the amount of drug abuse in Ireland and certainly not hard to come into contact with it. Frightening stuff really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Few weeks back my friend got done going down the quays in Dublin on his motorbike for being 10klms over the speed limit. He pointed out to the garda that from where he was standing he could see four or five regular drug users and yet the Gardai was shooting fish in a barrel revenue raising instead of tackling the drug issue. In fairness to the Garda he told my friend he was right but just doing his job and said I quote "they'll never win the drug war anyway"....

Great little country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Junkies have contributed to the world of art and music more than you will ever know. But its disgusting all the same. The fact people are taking gear in this day and age shows a failure in the education system.
    A relatively small number of highly talented people can be more creative.

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
    A stately pleasure-dome decree:

But I'd argue that they were already creative, that at the very worst they were like functioning alcoholics. Just because you're an addict doesn't mean you are a junkie.

And we've lost many artists to drugs and it usually wasn't when they were producing their best work.

What great works have been created on the Liffey boardwalk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

My brother's wife is Chinese and she worked on Abbey Street for a few years. One day she was saying how much she hates the junkies and I asked her if they had the same problem where she's from, she looked surprised and said "No, the police just take them away and they are never seen again".
    They have no kids getting syringes in the hand on public transport over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Bloody junkies. I don't understand why we put up with this sort of ***t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I'd be all for junkies being rounded up and disappeared. Contribute nothing towards society.

I clicked into this thread on the Boards homepage. I paid no attention to where I was, but when I read your post I immediately knew I was in the After Hours forum. Talk about contributing nothing to society.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Talk about contributing nothing to society.

The junkies? Correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

My brother's wife is Chinese and she worked on Abbey Street for a few years. One day she was saying how much she hates the junkies and I asked her if they had the same problem where she's from, she looked surprised and said "No, the police just take them away and they are never seen again".
    Ya you're right.

But they also flush kids down toilets in china!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What about Junkie Joe?

He never had a son that would bait an O'Donnell.

The junkies? Correct.

That's it champ. Go for it. Be somebody.

Sky King wrote: »
    What about Junkie Joe?

He never had a son that would bait an O'Donnell.

You're in the prime of your life, I'm in the prime of my life. Ya junkies junkies bastard.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    That's it champ. Go for it. Be somebody.

Thanks. I'd rather be anybody other than a zombie junkie. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't know why those are our only choices. But Official Ireland has never cared about cities and has never cared about poor people, so poor urban dwellers have always been ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Of course, Herr Horseboxo, that sounds like a wonderful solution to the junkie problem.

What junkie problem ;)

Advertisement