Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used syringe stuck into the finger of a 7 year old boy on the DART

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Saw a lad smoking gear on the dart a few years back, not a bother on him. Suppose I should have been glad he wasn't banging it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

How do you suggest the authorities deal with it?
    Set up a Hamsterdam perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BMcG75

Brego888 wrote: »

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiitt!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Or call in Omar to sort sh1t out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If junkies want to inject that muck into their bodies let them off but to put a used needle down the side of a seat or to just throw it away where innocent people can come into contact with their dirty needles just shows they couldn't care less about anything only the next fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Test it for fingerprints, and hopefully find the vermin who left it on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Set up a medical heroin programme that addicts can get on in exchange for voluntary sterilization. Have designated places with a trained nurse on hand that they can use it in, with clean needles that are disposed of on site. Zero tolerance for anyone operating outside the parameters of the programme.

Damage reduction is what is needed here.

The LUAS red line is nearly a no-mans-land at the moment at certain times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

If junkies want to inject that muck into their bodies let them off but to put a used needle down the side of a seat or to just throw it away where innocent people can come into contact with their dirty needles just shows they couldn't care less about anything only the next fix.

Who suggested that junkies always dispose of used needles as per the guidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'd be all for junkies being rounded up and disappeared. Contribute nothing towards society.

Precisely - if the junkies want to live that way that's their problem but when their bad choices start impacting on the general public ala this story, the numerous addiction fuelled robberies, the strung out woman I found the other day in the city centre attempting to shoot up with an empty needle in a phone box etc, then the problem becomes everyones...

I'm sick of feeling like we have to ignore this crap for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Drug use is , defacto, legal in Dublin. That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

wazky wrote: »
    Who suggested that junkies always dispose of used needles as per the guidelines?

Nobody suggested it, I'm saying dumping needles everywhere is a scummy thing to do.

I'm just airing a personal opinion on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Set up a medical heroin programme that addicts can get on in exchange for voluntary sterilization. Have designated places with a trained nurse on hand that they can use it in, with clean needles that are disposed of on site. Zero tolerance for anyone operating outside the parameters of the programme.

Damage reduction is what is needed here.

The LUAS red line is nearly a no-mans-land at the moment at certain times too.

Do these programs do anything to get them off the gear? All it seems to do is pander to the junkie element who in turn, don't give a f*ck about how their habit effects ordinary innocent people.

Maybe this with a hardline approach tied into it.:
    Drug use is , defacto, legal in Dublin. That's the problem.

Possession of it is surely illegal though, they can't use it if they don't possess it.

Arrow. wrote: »
    Do these programs do anything to get them off the gear? All it seems to do is pander to the junkie element who in turn, don't give a f*ck about how their habit effects ordinary innocent people.

The whole point is to get them off the streets and to get them to stop having hundreds of kids when they can't even look after themselves. They should be given an option - you either get your dose of heroin from the State medically and you take it where we can keep an eye on you/dispose of your waste/keep you from ODing in the streets and in return you undergo volutary sterilization (because that's the "giving up on giving up" option) or you agree to undergo and keep to other treatment to kick the habit.

Those are your options and anything outside of those two options are come down upon like a tonne of bricks with the entire force of the legal system.

That would go a long way towards sorting out the problem, because we can't keep ignoring it or excusing it on the basis that the junkies are "poor and downtrodden" - fcuk them, they made their beds, got addicted and they can lie in them for all I care, but the general public who have done nothing wrong need to be protected from the scourge...

Parts of Dublin and Cork City are like a scene out of Dawn of the Dead at times...

Arrow. wrote: »

Maybe this with a hardline approach tied into it.:

Possession of it is surely illegal though, they can't use it if they don't possess it.

Defacto means in fact, not in theory. There is no political will to arrest people shooting up in public, even if there were the courts wouldn't convict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Been a few years since I've been in the city but I've noticed it is getting worse for junkies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkM2-x57uFQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The whole point is to get them off the streets and to get them to stop having hundreds of kids when they can't even look after themselves. They should be given an option - you either get your dose of heroin from the State medically and you take it where we can keep an eye on you/dispose of your waste/keep you from ODing in the streets and in return you undergo volutary sterilization (because that's the "giving up on giving up" option) or you agree to undergo and keep to other treatment to kick the habit.

Those are your options and anything outside of those two options are come down upon like a tonne of bricks with the entire force of the legal system.

That would go a long way towards sorting out the problem, because we can't keep ignoring it or excusing it on the basis that the junkies are "poor and downtrodden" - fcuk them, they made their beds, got addicted and they can lie in them for all I care, but the general public who have done nothing wrong need to be protected from the scourge...

Parts of Dublin and Cork City are like a scene out of Dawn of the Dead at times...

We already have a methadone program. We give out free needles. Sterilisation is not going to happen. ( that's just Internet hard man talk). The needles on the dart might have been supplied by the state.

What's needed is tougher application of the laws.

I remember being a kid in the 90s and kicking what i thought was a empty McDonalds cup in st Anne's park only to have about 5 used syringes to fly out into the air.

Total disregard for children and the public in general. But what do you expect from people who live there lives only worring about getting their next fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Last time I was in Dublin, about 2 months ago.. I swear to fcuk I witnessed two Gardai walk straight past a junkie who was in the process of injecting. They barely gave him a second look.

I was aghast at it tbh. Imagine being a tourist and seeing the police appearing to allow the public consumption of Class A drugs on the street. I don't understand it at all. People are regularly arrested for being drunk like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I'd be all for junkies being rounded up and disappeared. Contribute nothing towards society.

And what about those who bring it into the country and deal it out, do you think they give a flying f#@k about those who they got hooked and addicted to the stuff.
    People need to look at the bigger picture of how this whole thing works.
    There is no junkie out there who wants to be a junkie, but there are plenty of suppliers and dealers who make lots of money from a junkies misery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Of course, Herr Horseboxo, that sounds like a wonderful solution to the junkie problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Well I for one will never use public transport again based on this individual horror story.
    None of us should.

Monster trucks for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

And the Government wonders why people don't use public transport in greater numbers? :mad:

Every parents nightmare - hopefully the child is alright.

When are the authorities going to do something about the junkie scourge in Dublin? The place is crawling with the zombies and it's making stuff like this happen! :mad:

I think if a new Political Party was launched which promised to take on the Junkies and Anti Social Behaviour they would get huge support.

Why do decent people have to endure things like this while the authorities do nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Skid X wrote: »
    I think if a new Political Party was launched which promised to take on the Junkies and Anti Social Behaviour they would get huge support.

Why do decent people have to endure things like this while the authorities do nothing?

PDs?

Rode the hole off us. No they're gone. Noice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I think your average gard is too jaded with the guff they get off junkies to bother with them much. I don't really blame them, we were doing a bit of work for the OPW in the Sundrive Rd station and M.O.G the crap the Gards had to endure was unreal - dragging a junkie back to the station looked to me to be an excercise in self-flaggelation tbh. It struck me as a bit like just asking for someone to crap all over your car, bleed all over you and hurl abuse at you for hour after endless hour. They'd do your head in after a while.

Putting the methadone clinics slap bang in the center of the City also strikes me as a bit daft - somwhere a bit more off-side would make more sense but in this case, I'd have sympathy for the wave of nimby-ism that would be unleashed. It's a tough problem to tackle, I wouldn't even have a vague clue as to a solution and if I did I'd be off on my private jet getting paid to lecture authorities world-wide, as would anyone else with a viable solution, as opposed to typing on a small forum. I do LOL at the "sterilise them" comments though - bit harsh in fairness and doubtfull to be embraced as the err.."final solution" - though I do regard those comments in much the same light - i.e dangerous and a bit nasty - who'd be next? Alcoholics? Then maybe the obese? Tough problem is drug use, and I'm not even sure full legalisation would do much more than just increase the social problems. Hope the kids ok though, that's a nasty one for him and his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Junkies have contributed to the world of art and music more than you will ever know. But its disgusting all the same. The fact people are taking gear in this day and age shows a failure in the education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Fair City have a similar story line at the moment. I suggest you all watch it as it highlights the issue so excellently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think though we should be looking at compulsory treatment to get off drugs.

If you'd a mental illness that caused you to be a danger to yourself and others, you wouldn't get an option about treatment.

I don't really see why junkies and servere alcoholics are somehow a different problem. You see people drunk and drugged to the point they die homless on the street. Unfortunately severe addiction is an actual illness. It might be a self inflicted illness but, it's curable and it shouldn't be an option to just go on threatening people and dumping needles irresponsibly.

I grew up in Dublin in the 90s and I remember finding needles in our school playground in an upmarket suburb.

This isn't a new problem. We let drugs get completely out of control.

We're letting a bunch of drug dealers destroy lives. That is what it comes down to. The book needs to be thrown at them and it needs to be a lot heavier!

The junkies are a symptom of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Involuntary euthenasia programme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

We should be giving serious consideration towards the setting up of an Irish Transport Police. Companies like Iarnród Éireann & Veolia Transport have consistently shown that their private security contractors are unable to adequately police their transport networks. The only thing that will deter petty criminals, who cause this sort of thing, is by having in place a proper transport police force with powers of arrest.

Let the transport companies provide 95% of funding like they do for the British Transport Police. Then we might actually get a public transport network that might feel safe to members of the public at all times.

Advertisement