Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else get annoyed by this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I hate when people said "I did you a favour".
    If they have to point out what a great favour it was it usually wasnt worth talking about.
    If i do something for somebody that wasnt a straightforward swap i'd usually not mention it again and figure they can get me back in return.

I remeber a "mate" of mine "thought" he was doing me a favour by giving me a bolloxed mobile phone(this was years ago) and then insisting i but him a bout 200 quids worth of pints on the strength of that "favour".
    Better to keep things on a business level or dont mention it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

starflake wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh... I offered some advice later on in the thread... no need to call me names .... :( I'm not a wanker....

Quit trolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Abigayle wrote: »
    Advice? So I see. Quit trolling.

What are you quoting me for? I was agreeing with the OP in my reply to Starflake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

What are you quoting me for? I was agreeing with the OP in my reply to Starflake.

My post is edited Mick, copy / paste error.

Apologies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Yeah it's frustrating when someone says they will do something and then don't..
    BUT people are fallible - they forget things or outside happenings influence their day and they cannot keep to their original schedule which included doing you a favour.. nobody is perfect.

Except perhaps the OP - it's nice to see that you took time out of your life of being perfect and never letting anyone down to post fun threads! :p

I'd say - if you NEED something done then do it yerself. simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

You do realise that not being an unreliable flake doesn't make you 'perfect'?
    It's really not that hard to keep your word. At all. And if something comes up and you can't do it, it's not that hard to ring or text and say you can't do it.
    I think the same people who make a balls of 'doing your a favour' are the same kind who arrive half an hour late to meet you, saying they got busy or some other feeble excuse. Like I had nothing better to do but stand and wait. Like they couldn't have called to let me know they were running late before I left the house. Just shows a total lack or respect for other peoples' time. And if you say anything you look like a narky cow. Flaky people suck! :rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,870 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When people DO help you out and ARE of their word, what then? Pat on the back? Or do you actually take the time, shows some gratitude, maybe offer to pay them some gas money?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Oh my well if they *insist* then that's it then! It's not like you have any free will or can politely insist yourself!

Trust people who don't let you down. If they do, it's for a genuine reason and you wouldn't hold it against them.

Pro Tip: People who are constantly unapologetically late / let you down all the time / aren't your friends, so why would you trust them? It shows the most fundamental lack of respect, and I don't understand how girls end up with so many of these "frenemies" in their social circle, but it is a consistently feminine trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Overheal wrote: »
    When people DO help you out and ARE of their word, what then? Pat on the back? Or do you actually take the time, shows some gratitude, maybe offer to pay them some gas money?

What exactly is your point here? Seems like you're making assumptions and judgements with absolutely no basis. But FYI, when people help me out I make sure to thank them multiple times, obviously offer money if it's a lift or they've had to spend money, and try to help them out whenever I can.
    Oh my well if they *insist* then that's it then! It's not like you have any free will or can politely insist yourself!

Eh, when someone offers something several times, it looks very rude to turn it down. I totally understand someone offering something just to be polite and expecting I'll say no, which is why I always decline but some people are really persistant and give the impression they'll be offended if you don't accept. Like my Italian relatives offering food and cakes - you sort of HAVE to eat it after 4 or 5 offers, whether you're on a diet or not!
    Pro Tip: People who are constantly unapologetically late / let you down all the time / aren't your friends, so why would you trust them? I

I don't. If a friend/acquaintance does this more than once or twice, I no longer really consider them a friend. I'd still hang out with them and go drinking but I wouldn't ever rely on them. This kind of situation really sorts out the flakes from the non-flakes. I have some friends who I know never go back on their word and vice versa. My ex got up at 5am and dug his car out of snow and spent about 3 hours trying to get to the airport so I wouldn't miss my flight. Once he said he'd get me there, he was determined to do so to the best of his ability. He never let me down once in two years (and vice versa), I know I'll always be able to rely on him and he knows the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

CuLT wrote: »
    Pro Tip: People who are constantly unapologetically late / let you down all the time / aren't your friends, so why would you trust them? It shows the most fundamental lack of respect, and I don't understand how girls end up with so many of these "frenemies" in their social circle, but it is a consistently feminine trait.

I'd say thats mostly because men blow a fuse and confront each other much easier than women who seem to prefer to talk about each other behind each others back or come up with other ways to get rid of their frustration.

At least that's what my 4th class primary school teacher who was a woman said and it seems to be a fairly accurate statement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement